Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Considering a 2012 TL or 2014 Accord - Looking for input from both crowds

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 07:11 PM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^ I agree that the Tech is a lagging in the 2012 TL, and that is where the TLX did a good job at catching up but the TL is in my opinion, one of the best driving car Acura has ever made!! I so miss my TL....
The 2012 TL offers one and only one key tech: SH-AWD. If you don't plan on driving hard around corners to take advantage of the SH-AWD (or if you've selected the TL FWD), there is absolutely nothing that the TL offers over a 2014 Honda Accord, sadly.

SH-AWD is the one and only one reason why I bought my 2013 TL over the current generation Accord, which was not that impressive to begin with. Unfortunately, the Camry Hybrid or Prius offers way more "Tech" than any Accord V6, for the same price.

This, unfortunately, is the sad state of Honda Motor Company.
The following users liked this post:
shurik74 (10-19-2014)
Old 10-19-2014, 08:17 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by hddnav
The 2012 TL offers one and only one key tech: SH-AWD. If you don't plan on driving hard around corners to take advantage of the SH-AWD (or if you've selected the TL FWD), there is absolutely nothing that the TL offers over a 2014 Honda Accord, sadly.

SH-AWD is the one and only one reason why I bought my 2013 TL over the current generation Accord, which was not that impressive to begin with. Unfortunately, the Camry Hybrid or Prius offers way more "Tech" than any Accord V6, for the same price.

This, unfortunately, is the sad state of Honda Motor Company.
I disagree. While SH-AWD may be a key piece of technology, it's not the only advantage of the TL over the Accord. We looked at both and chose the TL. We really liked the Accord, and it definitely had a lot of tech that the TL did not, but the TL also had things that were missing from the Accord, such as paddle shifters, better audio system, more front seat adjustments, better visibility past the rear head rests, and several other things. The Accord certainly has many features that I'd like to see in the TL, and it was a hard choice, but ultimately I preferred the way the TL drove and handled (and we got the FWD version). I also preferred the look and layout of the TL's interior, and the fact that there are 12 Accords within a block of us and no TLs.

We looked briefly at a Camry and a Prius, but they were missing many things that we wanted and that the TL had. Everyone has different priorities, but we wanted memory seat buttons, for example, and not even the highest level Camry had that.

Don't get me wrong. I really like the Accord and almost bought one, but it's not fair to say that the only advantage of the TL is SH-AWD.

Gregg
Old 10-19-2014, 08:56 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Agree. We own both a '13 Accord EX and a '10 TL AWD. The Accord is a fabulous car, especially for the price. But it simply is not in the same class as our TL. The TL has a quieter, sportier ride, beautiful Milano leather seats, interior trim upgrades - leather and aluminum, ELS stereo (one of the best OEMs) -- whereas the one negative I've found with our Accord is that the stereo seems a step back in quality from previous Honda products. The list is longer, but you get the point. I'd drive both and decide what fits your needs/wants best. Can't really go wrong with either. We love both our TL and our Accord.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:39 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the differing opinions! I'll try and find a Honda dealership nearby that has a 4th gen TL on the lot to drive both back to back. I see the additional tech items in the Accord as more of a deciding factor in case of tie. I'm much more concerned with the comfort of the seats, how quiet the ride is, and overall ride quality.

Truth be told a Lexus ES or GS would should probably be on more short list for the type of ride quality I'm looking for, but they just aren't worth a $7-$10k premium over the TL. And i'm not a fan of how the Camry drives or sits.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:00 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by robbierob07
Hate to bring up an old thread like this, but I figured that was better than starting my own thread with the exact same question (well 2015 accord specifically). I've done test drives of a few base 2012 TL's with the tech package, and I liked how the leather seats felt and were supportive and how the car drove as a whole. I however was not as impressed with the tech included, specifically the lack of touch screen and dated looking display.

From reading the replies here it sounds as if I need to include the accord on my test drive list, but would like to get a feel for the driving differences others have observed. Is the accord EX-l leather the same quality as found in the TL? Is the accord generally a softer ride compared to the TL's suspension, or is it firmer? Does the accord's more advanced tech actually work as designed (i.e. does it pair correctly to phones, do voice commands work)?

It would be awesome (from a consumer perspective anyway, Acura can't be too thrilled) if the accord has caught up with the TL in all the ways that really matter, sans navigation which I'm willing to give up.

As much as I like the appearance of the nav screen in my 06, I really don't use the nav that much (really, not at all). What I would do if I was in the market for a 2012 model is get it w/o the nav, save some $$$ in the process, and if I needed the nav, use a cellphone app like Mapquest and have the instructions called over the stereo. Just one opinion here.