Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acura TL Type-S Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 04:03 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura TL Type-S Calipers

Hi I was wondering not sure if they are compatable but getting a second set of front calipers and installing them on the rear? I love the way Acura did the front wheels but the it would have been nice if the rear calipers matched the fronts.

Anyone look into getting something different for the rears?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:05 AM
SKW
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was wondering along the same lines but wasn't sure if there's enough clearance in the rear to fit the rotors and calipers from the front. Then there's the cost, would it be cheaper to just install the rears from a BBK? Also, w/o turning/sounding ricey, has anyone thought about red calipers instead of black? I like the white Acura logo but w/ the dark color of the Type-S wheels? I would like something to stand out a bit more instead of blending in.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:42 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
The front brembo's most certainly will NOT bolt onto the rear. They could probably be made to fit with a caliper adapter, but that would have to be custom designed... and dealing with the E-brake would be difficult.

1) Why. The front do MOST of the hard stopping. upgrading the rears will hardly help. Upgrading the rotors/pads all around will increase your stopping power (with racingbrake rotors and pads for example), but it sounds like you guys are more into increase the aestetics more than increasing the performance.

I painted my rears black and added Brembo stickers, and that helped the looks:
(adobeman's pic, but I followed his lead).

I plan to buy somenew rear calipers someday, and have the proffessionally powdercoated to match.

2) There are 2-3 aftermarket rear BBK out there you could replace the rear brakes with.

3) Couple of folks have had thier brakes re-powdercoated red. How long can your car be down? Some dude in NYC had his done in a day for like $300.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:45 AM
SKW
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I should've added that it would be for looks only. On my car I have Brembo drilled & slotted rotors at all 4 corners. When I 1st put them on it was at a friend's house at a BMW meet where we did a couple of other installs on other cars (ltd slip diff, lights, short shifter, etc) and had to keep hearing that they wouldn't improve performance at all and may just eat up pads quicker. I already knew that. As was stated it is the fronts that do most of the braking, hence why the car engineers do put a smaller diameter rotor on the rears. Here's a quick pic, not having too much success on making it smaller.