3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed new spark plugs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 06:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
my zone does not carry any ngk plugs-- sometimes in the auto biz tell stories to make you feel better
If you used your zone rewards card, they can help lookup the sale- or if credit card-
Old 05-17-2008, 07:27 PM
REY
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah i always use some type of plastic but since it has been well over 3 months I doubt they will bother. Oh well my fault
Old 05-20-2008, 10:35 AM
REY
Intermediate

Changed out my denso plugs for the OE and the startup issue seems to have disappeared. The rear 3 were fun again but had no real trouble since I had done it 4 months before this.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:57 AM
Team Owner

Imagine that!!! So to all the naysayers on why the right BRAND of spark plugs is crucial to the TLs happiness-
there you have it~
Old 05-21-2008, 07:24 AM
Quiet, Rika Neenja!

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah I'm ready to do this too. REY, thanks for confirming that it was the plugs after all. damn, there went 50 bucks!
Old 05-21-2008, 07:34 AM
Quiet, Rika Neenja!

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Imagine that!!! So to all the naysayers on why the right BRAND of spark plugs is crucial to the TLs happiness-
there you have it~
Fine! So you were right!

Sorry, just never seen that one before, no idea wtf it's use is for
Old 05-21-2008, 09:09 AM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,006 Likes on 1,514 Posts
01tl4tl cracks me up.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:56 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by TylerT
01tl4tl cracks me up.

I want some of his meds.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:21 AM
REY
Intermediate

Yeah and I recommend a magnetic spark plug socket but hey thats just me. I was able to do the rears with about 7 inches of extension torqued to specs and ready to go. Only a small amount of anti seize as anyone will tell you.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:26 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,019 Likes on 2,497 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94

I want some of his meds.
Could the meds be Seafoam based?
Old 05-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Team Owner

if gen3 is same as gen2, a 9 inch extension (put a 3 and 6 together) will fit perfect for the rear spark plugs
A magnetic plug socket or the old kind with rubber insert, are much needed tool
OR use a small piece of spare rubber vac tubing- stick it on the top of the spark plug and lower away~ that allows you to start the threads with sensation thru fingers of them going in smooth or trying to cross-thread them

Now if the bosch users would all get the NGK plugs, we can stop answering so many
mis-fire after tuneup questions~
Old 05-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Team Owner

the savings in gasoline expense will cover the 50 bucks pretty quickly
Once everyone is used to paying 4 bucks a gallon (already 4.19 here),
"they" will do something to disrupt the supply and 5 dollars a gallon will be nothing but a fond memory.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:29 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
if gen3 is same as gen2, a 9 inch extension (put a 3 and 6 together) will fit perfect for the rear spark plugs

I tried a 10" plus the long Spark Plug socket. BIG mistake. Got in, but had a HELL of a time getting it out. 9" (3 + 6) is DEFINETLY the way to go.

Should've listened to 01tl4tl in the first place, but nooooo, I had to go with the "bigger is better" theory .... .

A magnetic plug socket or the old kind with rubber insert, are much needed tool
I got the Craftsman one from Sears with the rubber insert. Worked GREAT!!
Old 05-21-2008, 03:49 PM
REY
Intermediate

Yeah just don't drop a tool back there like I did it can be fun.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:36 AM
Quiet, Rika Neenja!

well since these densos are coming out asap, should I do my second seafoam (it's only been like 1000 miles and one month maybe) before putting in the NGK's?
Old 05-22-2008, 10:08 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
the savings in gasoline expense will cover the 50 bucks pretty quickly
Once everyone is used to paying 4 bucks a gallon (already 4.19 here),
"they" will do something to disrupt the supply and 5 dollars a gallon will be nothing but a fond memory.
sorry to cut the discussion here.....so well i was changing my spark plugs....i got NGK irridium IX......so when i popped the OE plugs out the NGK IX seemed like a little less that half an inch long....so i didnt wanna mess with it......

took it to the service manager at Acura dealership.....took a box of donuts for his team.....asked him to do an oil change (free) and install the plugs (free)......am buddy buddy with him ........

so when i came to pick my babe up.....he said the same......"the plugs are too long.....and the did hit the piston.....i dont see any way that these wont lead to major problems in your car......"

anyone has something to say???
Old 05-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
Have anyone tried this? I read about them in the Discover magazine...

http://www.pulstarplug.com/
Old 05-22-2008, 11:26 AM
Team Owner

srt- go ahead and foam it good in the intake vac port before the change, normally you would wait till 2000 miles but now is cool.

swoosh- maybe you were given the wrong plugs- too long inside the engine is a huge issue
Take the plugs back to the parts store- with receipt- and see if it was operator error or computer is misinformed

Teckno- a few members are running them (see thread by using search)
with 1 to 1.5 mpg increase reported so far.
That results in ~15 extra miles per tankful- at rising prices of gas, it took a year to offest purchase when calculated a gas prices a few months ago, (and that was based on full price)- not taking $45 off for NGK plugs you would have bought) now its down to 6 to 9 months of 4 tanks per month to pay for themself in savings at pump- then the next 2-3 years of use are giving bonus miles.

There are other mods that will do about the same, so unless you are due for the plug change (IMO over 60-75k miles) get an intake and TB thermo spacer for more fun driving and same fuel savings. When plugs are due- they are worth considering, depending on how much you drive each year.
By this time next year- experts are talking 200 a barrel for crude oil- making gasoline 7- count them slowly- 7 dollars a gallon for regular gas- whats 91 octane going to be!!!!
Old 05-22-2008, 11:57 AM
REY
Intermediate

I actually noticed the denso's I had were quite a bit shorter than the OE when I pulled them the first time. I assumed that it wouldn't make too much of a difference but who knows. I assume the ones I just put in are the correct length but yeah I can see how longer could be very bad.

I did not compare my new ngk ir to the OE ones from a few months ago but now I may just do that.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:28 PM
B16 Swapped TL

Swoosh, spark plugs that are too long open you open for some potential dangers and it really depends just how much extra length there is.. I have seen it where the only thing that happened was that the plug fouled out pretty quickly. Incorrect plug length opens you up to valves striking the plug and damaging the plug/valve(depending on head/valve config, i think TL's are safe on this one), as well as the piton striking the plug....same issue.

The thing I would worry about is the ceramic bits breaking off the plug. If the plugs look ok in that respect, and as long as there isnt any sign of striking the piston, I think you should be ok.

Tekno - https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/alpine-type-s-v12-175010/ Good info in the thread. The two members that bought the plugs in there saw increase in MPG. Personal opinion here, I am not convinced that those gains could not have been made with OE plug replacements. One of the members in there said he was approaching the 100k mile mark and really needed a tuneup...... with that in mind I think there would have been a possibility for the same improvement from the OE plugs.

When my car is ready for replacements I plan on switching to OE and measuring the difference/gains, and then switching the pulsar plugs and measuring the difference/gains. My car won't be ready for that for quite some time though. It's a 2007 TL-S in a 3 car 2 driver household, and my other two vehicles see way more seat time than the TL.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:44 AM
Quiet, Rika Neenja!

Wasn't there a pulsestar plug thread and someone noticed like 1mpg increase but that was only one guy and could have been a fluke? seems like it'd have to be more substantial than that for the $$
Old 05-23-2008, 09:32 AM
B16 Swapped TL

Originally Posted by SRT-11
Wasn't there a pulsestar plug thread and someone noticed like 1mpg increase but that was only one guy and could have been a fluke? seems like it'd have to be more substantial than that for the $$
There were two guys and they say they saw the increase, but I questioned whether the 1 MPG was really due to the new pulstar plugs, or the fact that they really needed a tuneup (the OP in the thread had 100k miles on his car). My suggestion to determine whether or not there is a gain to be made from the pulstar plugs was to first do a baseline with Fresh OE plugs and then make the switch to the pulstar. Some sort of log would have to be kept to keep track of the fuel consumption, driving styles, etc....

Even with just a 1MPG increase it would be worth it, especially with the trend of fuel prices. In the thread link I posted previously there 01tl4tl posted the math within a year it would pay for itself, and you would have the potential to save more as plug life in vehicles is typically longer than one year.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:43 AM
Team Owner

I get a great laugh here, some people insist the stock plugs are perfect to 105k miles because the book says so, and they claim their car runs perfect with no facts or test to back it up.
The next says plugs are toast at that miles, and no honest comparision between stock plugs and pulsestar has been done- because the replaced plugs had 50k miles on them
Then the next person says dyno test on various cars using new iridium plugs followed by new pulsestars shows an improvement.

No we dont get 8 mpg or big HP gain because we already have coil on plug ignition, while the higher test result cars have a standard electronic ignition with 1 coil and spark plug wires transferring the power impulse to the plug- lots of potential for power loss along the way
On those cars a big gain could be possible with storing charge in the plug itself for hotter faster ignition pulse/plug firing
Old 05-23-2008, 11:55 AM
AZ Community Team

I back it up with two consecutive 800 mile trips on the same route and speed with indentical fuel economy with a 2003 Honda Pilot and changing out the plugs with OEM at 105K.

Oh and the book was written by the same company that happend to build the vehicle. Heck, I may be streching it here a little but they probably know more about the engine and service than than the folks on this thread. So yeah, I'd trust them more than anything some joker on here would write

I get a great laugh here, some people insist the stock plugs are perfect to 105k miles because the book says so, and they claim their car runs perfect with no facts or test to back it up.
The next says plugs are toast at that miles, and no honest comparision between stock plugs and pulsestar has been done- because the replaced plugs had 50k miles on them
Then the next person says dyno test on various cars using new iridium plugs followed by new pulsestars shows an improvement.

No we dont get 8 mpg or big HP gain because we already have coil on plug ignition, while the higher test result cars have a standard electronic ignition with 1 coil and spark plug wires transferring the power impulse to the plug- lots of potential for power loss along the way
On those cars a big gain could be possible with storing charge in the plug itself for hotter faster ignition pulse/plug firing
Old 05-23-2008, 01:41 PM
B16 Swapped TL

I never said the plugs were toast.... those were the OP's own words.

You can make the assumption that the Pulstar plugs are an improvement over OE and thats fine. I say show me the money; control as many variables as possible and do the objective testing...... and show me the testing on a TL. Like you, thats what I am interested in...... not a 350Z, not an Evo, not a Corvette.... but a TL. Each car's power plants are packaged differently, and the ignition system can vary widely, all can impact how the cars respond to different plugs..... so show it to me on a TL. I'll do the testing if it hasn't been done by the time I am due or a plug change.

Just my .02, take it for what it's worth.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:34 PM
Team Owner

you wont try them now- but you are willing to buy oe and pulse and test them =in several years when you need plugs!
now thats funny!!!

since they do have a 100 percent no questions money back policy- if you dont feel they are giving the improvement you wanted- return them for a full refund
Its true TL wont get the same gains as other cars- fault our excellent systems to start with!

As for the book and how its service it written- the govt told auto makers cars must meet certain fuel numbers each year (google CAFE standards) they also were told to make cars more maitenance free- so they upped the intervals- put a bunch of check this check that in them for the dealer to make money doing nothing, and then put in fine print- severe duty schedule
My car sees many short trips under 5-10 miles and in town errands and stop and go freeway traffic, trips to the mountains in hot weather, all of which put it square in the severe duty list.
So i changed the coolant at 5 years based on age, same for the ps fluid. Flush the brake fluid more than once a year- and use synthetic fluid in brakes, getting the belt and water pump done before miles based on age

There are things not in the book -that was written over 10 years ago- things discovered to improve the cars running,,, and with gas prices going to 7 bucks a gallon (I looked back a year in my post when I forcast 4$ and everyone luaghed- today it was 4.40, up 16 cents in 3 days!!!!) So i do things that I think/hope will net even 1/10th of a mile per gallon better~
You can laugh at my mods and seafoam obsession, but to me they help
Sheez I will use airplane wax with its low wind resistance if it helps!!!
Tape the seams shut on the hood to help airflow over the hood.....
Old 05-23-2008, 03:57 PM
AZ Community Team

The US government has never told automakers to make cars more maintenance free. The vast bulk of the increasing the service time interval on vehicles has come about from the end-user marketing and technology. Improvements in fluids, chemistry, metals, electronics, software ... have increased the service time of almost everything on vehicles today from a maintenance point of view. This was esspecially true for BMW who reduced their maintenance due to that being the #1 complaint in their US owner surveys.

I've worked on so many Honda's and Acura's that follow the maintenance guidelines in the owners manual in the book that still make past 200K+ miles without any major problems what so ever. Some even grossly exceed the time/mileage limits. As for me, I change most fluids more often, mostly from an insurance point of view. But for things like timing belts and sparkplugs, I stick to the guildelines in the shop manual.

The shop manual for the 04-05 TL was also probably written 5 years ago.

As for the book and how its service it written- the govt told auto makers cars must meet certain fuel numbers each year (google CAFE standards) they also were told to make cars more maitenance free- so they upped the intervals- put a bunch of check this check that in them for the dealer to make money doing nothing, and then put in fine print- severe duty schedule
My car sees many short trips under 5-10 miles and in town errands and stop and go freeway traffic, trips to the mountains in hot weather, all of which put it square in the severe duty list.
So i changed the coolant at 5 years based on age, same for the ps fluid. Flush the brake fluid more than once a year- and use synthetic fluid in brakes, getting the belt and water pump done before miles based on age

There are things not in the book -that was written over 10 years ago- things discovered to improve the cars running,,, and with gas prices going to 7 bucks a gallon (I looked back a year in my post when I forcast 4$ and everyone luaghed- today it was 4.40, up 16 cents in 3 days!!!!) So i do things that I think/hope will net even 1/10th of a mile per gallon better~
You can laugh at my mods and seafoam obsession, but to me they help
Sheez I will use airplane wax with its low wind resistance if it helps!!!
Tape the seams shut on the hood to help airflow over the hood.....
Old 05-23-2008, 10:10 PM
B16 Swapped TL

you wont try them now- but you are willing to buy oe and pulse and test them =in several years when you need plugs!
now thats funny!!!
Right......... I don't need plugs now...... Whats funny about that?
Old 05-23-2008, 10:56 PM
Team Owner

your offer to do a dual testing -but not for a long time from now-
thats very helpful of you!!

And the honda pilot useage results- when all we care about is TL/s~

I dont understand the mentality of being down on a product you have no personal experience with on a TL, and the few members that do have them are enjoying it so far.
Lets each use what we are comfortable with and go back to debating the merits of the S2000 oil filter to the honda filter to the K&N oil filter, and does synthetic car wax really increase top speed by .3 mph, cause I need that top speed on the normal drive up the freeway, 135 is just an embarressingly low speed when 137 would be awesome!
Old 05-23-2008, 11:00 PM
Team Owner

as for a direct dyno challenge- it would take hours for the engine on a TL to be cool enough to lay across and get the rear plugs. By then, atmospheric conditions will have changed and null the results.

If my old truck didnt leak so much from the valve guide seals- I would run pulse plugs in it, because of the length of the plug wires and standard distributor ignition- thats where those plus seem to really shine.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:05 PM
B16 Swapped TL

your offer to do a dual testing -but not for a long time from now-
thats very helpful of you!!
Wow, what's with the sarcastic attacks? Who is being down on any product? I am sure the purchasers are enjoying their products, all I simply point out is that any gains attributable to only those plugs haven't been proven. Too many other variables out there to make correlate any gains to the plugs. With that being said.... while it's perfectly fine to recommend those plugs as OE replacements, me personally I like to caveat that the gains have yet to be proven on a TL (like you this is all I care about).

I'll test it, if no one else has when I am ready for new plugs....... right now with brand new plugs on the car I don't see the point in buying $200 in plugs (OE & Enerpulse) when the ones I have on there are perfectly fine ones installed already.

Sorry that doesn't meet your standards.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:07 PM
B16 Swapped TL

as for a direct dyno challenge- it would take hours for the engine on a TL to be cool enough to lay across and get the rear plugs. By then, atmospheric conditions will have changed and null the results.
Some dynos are in doors where the temperature and humidity can be controlled or this very reason.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:59 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought I should add to this thread because I went with the NGK Iridium IX plugs.

This part number [Park #: IZFR6K-11 or #6994] is being thrown around a lot as the “NGK Iridium IX” plug part number. That is incorrect. This part number is for the NGK Laser Iridium (http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/part_fi...gineid=1437467)

That’s not to say it’s the wrong spark plug for our car, they’re just the OEM plug.

The NGK Iridium IX plug is part number ZFR6FIX-11 or #6441 that member iTyper has pointed out.

Go ahead and read back through any thread that mentions the Iridium IX plug and you’ll see that people throw around this part number IZFR6K-11 or 6994#.

On another note, I torqued my plugs down to 18 ft-lb, not 13 mentioned in this DIY. Our thread diameter is 14 mm and according to the torque table on NGK’s website that would be anywhere from 18 to 21 ft-lb for an aluminum head.
(http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_su...x.asp?mode=nml)

I drive an ’04 6MT

Regards,
Matt
Old 06-26-2008, 06:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i'm so dang confused...so are we looking for the laser ones or are we okay using the NGK iridium ix's?
Old 06-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Team Owner

Acura says 13 foot pounds so thats our spec
Old 07-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Erick 3:

The NGK Laser plugs are OEM [Part #: IZFR6K-11 or #6994]

The NGK Iridium IX plugs are [Part #: ZFR6FIX-11 or #6441]

Both will work just fine. The NGK Iridium IX are their "perfomance enthusiast" plugs. http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/product.../iridiumix.asp
Old 05-18-2009, 06:13 PM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
on the back of the box for the ngk plugs it has directions to tighten the plug with and without a gasket. 1/2-2/3 more after snug with a gasket and 1/16 more turn after snug without a gasket...

what or where would this gasket they speak of be? there was only a metal washer around the plug itself. is there a gasket already inside where the plug goes that you cant see?
Old 05-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
wtf is going on here.. lol.. I was looking at the thread from the board and going wtf? 6 pages & 8k hits over spark plugs???

I have video of test my buddy did with the pulstar plugs vs. the ngks and they are for real.. if the fuel prices keep rising, which they will.. they will probably be worth the the extra $100.. beware that they are only warrantied for 50k miles.. fuel efficiency and maybe a bit of a bump in hp through the curve is definitely probable.

Sure you guys can run your plugs 105k but if you like doing spirited driving if even to grab some milk at the corner store or you find yourself sitting in traffic 80% of the time.. you accelerate the the remaining plug lifetime, not to mention mods that change vehicle specs. Just because spark plugs are rated for a certain mileage doesn't mean they will necessary last that long.. spark plugs can foul for various reasons so swapping them out every 50-60k miles is not a bad idea.. if you want to run them 105k then go ahead but don't argue with those who know better.

Here's some reading from NGK:
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/index.asp?mode=nml

edit: wtf?!.. thanks for reviving this year old thread.. dammit.. ... well gonna leave this for future posters.

Last edited by Majofo; 05-19-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:12 PM
Instructor

so i stripped one of the strut nuts which added another half hour to my job which really sucks! anyways, anyone know where i can get a spare?
Old 09-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by corduroy
so i stripped one of the strut nuts which added another half hour to my job which really sucks! anyways, anyone know where i can get a spare?
I'm confused.. is this spark plug related or were you working on your struts?

If it's a pinch nut on the strut they're cheap and they usually a replacement item since they're prone to stripping when torquing them down again. Go to acuroemparts.com to find what you need.. otherwise for something like that I would pay the premium and pick it up at your local dealer.

If it's the strut tower nut that's on top, you can get that anywhere.. just take one to home depot and find a suitable replacement or visit acuraoemparts.com as suggested. They really don't need a lot of torque unlike the pinch nuts that tie in the strut to the knuckle / lca.

Quick Reply: Just installed new spark plugs.