My cracked dashboard ordeal...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad05TL
what kind of camera took this picture? looks nice.
lol...all modern digital cameras take nice pictures.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Dash is CRACKED bad!

My dash is cracked way worse than your pictures.....I can actually see the outline of my passenger side airbag. Let me ask you this, or anyone who had this issue, did they only cover part of the cost if you have a warranty? I do not have a warranty but dont think I should pay for this either...and then I also heard if the airbag deploys those are like 10g's? Hope thats not true.....any insight appreciated!
Old 09-08-2011, 08:47 PM

Received 9,493 Likes on 6,165 Posts
I'm not sure how the dash replacement would work if you have a warranty. Since my car is out of warranty, I had to pay out of pocket. Corporate paid for the parts and I paid for labor which ended up being around $560.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:48 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First let me say that my TL has never let me down mechanically other than being on the third Acura battery.

Unfortunately it doesn't stop with the dash cracking, here're the issues that I've had with mine and it has 37,000 miles on it:

Sun visors - replaced under warranty
Seat cover - replaced under warranty
Center console armrest - replaced under warranty (needs to be replaced again due to foam collapsing again)
Third brake light cover - replaced under warranty
Front window regulators and tracks - replaced under warranty
Inside door handles peeling - replaced under warranty

Dash cracks - replaced by the dealer under goodwill

Shift knob discolored - I paid for (I do not wear cologne)
Cup holder sliding cover broken in several pieces - I paid for
Outside mirrors not moving smoothly - repair pending

Soft paint (known issue)
Soft windshield glass scratches from wipers - car is kept clean, wiper inserts replaced at every oil change (known issue)
Scratched door window tint due to tight window wipers (known issue and I was warned when I got them tinted)
Numerous rattles that this site helped identify and fix

Bridgestone Turanzas - dry rotting, the absolute worst tires I've ever driven on.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:54 PM

Good lord. Sounds like you got a bad apple.

I know my TL will last forever but it's going to drive me crazy until it dies. Little things here and there are starting to add up.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:00 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Good lord. Sounds like you got a bad apple.

I know my TL will last forever but it's going to drive me crazy until it dies. Little things here and there are starting to add up.
Actually a lot of these issues are well known and I have an Acura service contract which I haven't yet used that will cover mechanical repairs, it's the nickel and dime interior and exterior trim stuff that wouldn't be covered that scares me.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
All of you who have had your dash's replaced are very lucky. I just got off the phone with Acura USA and she told me that because my warranty expired well over 4 years ago (I have a 2004) and because I bought it "as is" that Acura was not responsible for covering the damages. I'm livid!! My dash is cracked in 3 places and a new one seems to pop up every week. One of mine goes all the way to the windshield and spiders at the end closest to the seat. Two are right above the passenger air bag and the third one is right in the middle. I'm SO PISSED!
Old 03-02-2012, 03:58 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
Something i considered trying if my dash was to crack is masking the area off and using black plastidip...doesnt hurt right? lol

either the aerosol or the manual application type.

GL to those with cracked dashes. *knock on wood* for me.

Last edited by ez12a; 03-02-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by PrissyJayne
All of you who have had your dash's replaced are very lucky. I just got off the phone with Acura USA and she told me that because my warranty expired well over 4 years ago (I have a 2004) and because I bought it "as is" that Acura was not responsible for covering the damages. I'm livid!! My dash is cracked in 3 places and a new one seems to pop up every week. One of mine goes all the way to the windshield and spiders at the end closest to the seat. Two are right above the passenger air bag and the third one is right in the middle. I'm SO PISSED!
Wow that's terrible, I'm sorry to hear.

My local dealership fed me the same BS but once I contacted the corporate office, they negotiated with me. It's pretty sad that a company won't take responsibility for faulty parts.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Originally Posted by ez12a
Something i considered trying if my dash was to crack is masking the area off and using black plastidip...doesnt hurt right? lol

either the aerosol or the manual application type.

GL to those with cracked dashes. *knock on wood* for me.
I think that would do more damage than good. The Plasti-Dip on top wouldn't let the dashboard to "breathe" per-say, therefore it would retain more heat and expand and contract even more than before.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:37 PM
Intermediate

I worked for BMW for 7yrs and replaced a 100K motor because of a recall for an engine on a 1990 car (this was in 2004). ACURA "says" we are a luxury car company, I beg to differ! I have hundreds of similar stories from BMW and how they take care of their customers and as former Master Tech I have witnessed it first hand. So my 06 TL dash has started to crack - i really don't think I need to reference all the stories that people have about the Fing "Dash" cracks - so I did the obligatory hey mr. Service guy how can you help me as I've always given you my service accept for oil changes becuase I like your product (I don't have to let anyone do shit - I'm an accomplished mechanic) and want to have a good service experience and let my "luxury car" company take care of me. Well news flash the 680.00 you want me to cover plus the possible 140.00 light strip I would have to cover if your incompetance of a staff breaks it. So your actions have proven otherwise that you are indeed NOT a luxury car company becuase if you were this known issue wouldn't be passed to your customers. So ends the relationship with what seemed so promising in the begining. Oh the 528 looks so much more pimp in my drive way - peace.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Is this an issue with 08 tl's? Seems like most people having this problem are 04-05's. Currently at 53k on mine and I haven't seen anything yet although I live in PA and it's not hot all year around.

This really seems like something that needs to be covered as a safety hazard a piece of plastic flying off when the airbag deploys could definitely cause some serious harm to someone.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:10 PM
2004 SSM TL

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
In summary, 04 - 06's are the oldest cars obviously, soooooo they're going to have these cracks first. Don't worry, your time willl come. I hope not...but I don't see how the later years are immune to this. My car has already had it switched in September, 2010
Old 04-03-2012, 08:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts
I had an 05 with 109K on it, the previous owner didnt take very good care of it (I found out after owning it for 2 weeks). It had no cracks in the dash, and I used armor all cleaning wipes and some other brand interior protectant all the time... Is there a certain type of protectant that we should use/avoid? I want to make sure the dash in the 04 I just got stays healthy for as long as possible. Im gonna pick up a sunshade asap... No garage to park in when you live in the f'ing barracks
Old 04-04-2012, 07:37 PM
2004 SSM TL

There was a huge thread on this in this same section. After reading ALL of it, I got the impression that there's nothing you can do. People that used nothing at all to clean got cracks....people that used proctectorants (303, wipies, etc...) got cracks, all colors. Even some people living up north got cracks (mostly south though). It just seems to be an indiscriminate defect.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Advanced

I had that happen to my '05 TL 6mt almost two years ago. The dealer got Corporate to cover the whole thing. I sold it last week and got a '10 TL SHAWD 6mt.

Issues that I had with the '05 that were covered under warrentee
Drivers side window regulator replaed twice
Passenger side window regulator replaced three times
Power Steering pump rebuilt
HFL replaced

Then after my warrantee ran out in late Jan 2012, both motor mounts had to be replaced, which I did with the timing belt. and then the week after that the rack and pinion went.....

After that, I decided to go for the newer one and get the acura care wrap around

This one I tinted the side windows and back. I am considering doing the front at a 70% just to get the UV protection and cut the hear all round. Tint World said that was light enough to not cause a problem with the sheriff's office.

Last edited by Greggsg; 04-04-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:28 AM
TL = True Love

I wear my cracked dash loud and proud. I care more about the engine, transmission, breaks, and suspension, than a shitty dash. It does suck that Acura doesn't recognize the defect in their dash. Some day i might buy a cover if it really bothers me.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:31 AM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
any 07-08's with cracked dashes yet?
Old 04-10-2012, 01:26 PM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
I have an 08 TL Type S and no cracks yet and I live in sunny Arizona.

Hopefully the new TSX comes out soon so I can trade in my car before the car starts falling apart.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:35 AM
1st Gear

Mine is doing the exact same thing.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Ruby
any 07-08's with cracked dashes yet?
I just finished posting in a similar thread about this, and YES as of last night 7/11/12 i have a cracked dash on my CPO 07 TL-S it is still under warranty till 2014 plus i added a bumper to bumper warranty till 2014. Will speak with the dealer later on to see if its covered cus if not.. FML
Old 07-12-2012, 08:05 PM
All Around Klown

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
ArmorAll is horrrible for dash pads... Dash pads will and do dry out... I use products with silicone in them like Black Magic Tire Wet (except i use the matte finish one so the dash doesnt look greasy)...

Last edited by EvilJoker; 07-12-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Another cracked dash. Right side passenger around a rectangular outline. Airbag possibly? Love the car, but I really hate that acura cut a few corners. Dash-topper until sold.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
it's going to crack for those in very hot weather. mine was fine until i moved down to texas. first signs of cracks. it sucks i know but just do what you can by getting shades, opening windows during the day, and apply protectant to keep it oiled.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:47 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 06 cracked about a year ago finally and I didn't even get Goodwill treatment from the dealer. Granted I only asked them twice about it and wasn't a nightmare customer who was constantly complaining and going to the dealership like it appears you have to be. I have three cracks in the usual places and finally just said F it and bought a custom cut velour cover from CoverCraft to hide the eyesore. People actually like the cover and it kinda bothered me at first but now I barely even notice it. $1500 for a new dash or $39.99 and less stress. Well guess which won out
Old 07-31-2012, 12:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by EvilJoker
ArmorAll is horrrible for dash pads... Dash pads will and do dry out... I use products with silicone in them like Black Magic Tire Wet (except i use the matte finish one so the dash doesnt look greasy)...
I use the same stuff on it, but I always get the feeling it's not getting absorbed into the dash.
I had and old CB7 and I could always tell it absorbed it. The dash was pristine for a 93. It had no cracking what so ever.
So what gives with these TL dashes, why are they cracking and how do you prevent it?
Old 07-31-2012, 08:53 AM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by emilio320
I just finished posting in a similar thread about this, and YES as of last night 7/11/12 i have a cracked dash on my CPO 07 TL-S it is still under warranty till 2014 plus i added a bumper to bumper warranty till 2014. Will speak with the dealer later on to see if its covered cus if not.. FML
Pretty sure you are the first person with an 07 on Azine with a cracked dash. Sorry man, that sucks.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:25 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
i had my right side repaired but this morning i noticed the left side of the airbag location start to crack. not going to dish out more money to fill in something that will crack again. prob go with a dash topper cover.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:58 PM
1st Gear

I wish that my experience was as good, but I dealt with Max (Service Mgr) at Acura 101 West in Calabasas, CA. Very nice until I said that that was too much money and I wanted to talk to customer relations. He got nasty and only gave me the offer, in writing, and the contact information after I E-mailed him twice. They will take care of it for $825 & tax. I appealed to Customer relations and had the misfortune of dealing with Ricki, who knows Max. Easy to say that after she said that she spoke to Max and agreed with him, nothing has changed. I asked for a Supervisor and she told me that she had to power to make this call and kept asking me why I wanted to talk to a supervisor. I absolutely loved my TL and wanted a new one. Because of the way I was treated by these two representatives, I am now looking at a new Lexus and my sister is looking at a Hyundai. It was their attitudes when I wasn't jumping at the $825 & tax, that did it for me. If they had been nicer, and more understanding I would be looking at a new Acura. Ricki was right, she had the power. She won the battle, but Acura lost the war.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:09 AM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts
the magic word is "good will" keep insist that the dealer will ask the corporate to do a 1 time go will to assist you with the repair....go to a different dealership if you have to...it really depends on the manager of the dealership...he can initiate the process to be approved....there is no way to take care of a bad made dash board....just pour material and very thin around certain area
Old 01-28-2013, 03:36 PM
10th Gear

same exact cracks hapepned to me and apparently you need to be the 1st owner while also having a good connection the acura service. if you tend to do most of your work done at acura service they take that into consideration and do a "good will"
Old 01-28-2013, 05:41 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by joexchoi
same exact cracks hapepned to me and apparently you need to be the 1st owner while also having a good connection the acura service. if you tend to do most of your work done at acura service they take that into consideration and do a "good will"

My TL was preown but i got it at 5k miles...anyways i did go to the dealership a lot (all warranty service) not maintenance or pay service..

Anyways you can always it is a known problem and dont let them tell you otherwise...almost every single 04 or so got dashboard cracked...unless u live in some cold climate maybe
Old 02-17-2013, 03:39 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Well, call me old fashioned, but I don't like to count my chickens till they're hatched and off to college. My big update was that I dropped my car off at Acura on Wednesday for the dash replacement. After much deliberation, they did end up reconsidering the offer and I was able to get the dash replaced and my new dunlop direzzas (thanks Justin, for the suggestion) for just shy of $400 out the door.

Persistence, patience and keeping a cool head prevailed in dealing with Acura and I wholeheartedly feel they did right by me. As far as tires...they charge the same as tires plus or firestone and they are ON POINT with their balance being perfect. They line up the yellow dot with the valvestem, they take off all old weights and they pump to the correct PSI. I always get them done at Acura from now on.
Name:  IMG_6066_zpsbc2bb9cc.jpg
Views: 10036
Size:  59.9 KB
Name:  IMG_6067_zps83e085d3.jpg
Views: 9882
Size:  71.7 KB
Thanks to all the members on here that were willing to share their story and gave me the push I needed to follow through.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:30 PM
3rd Gear

Has anyone tackled replacing the dashpad themselves?

Did a search but could not find anything.

Has anyone tackled replacing the dashpad themselves? It seems with a bit of time, a factory service manual and some patience, one might be able to do it, but I am an optimist.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:36 PM

I think GT Dan did...but I think he only posted about it on his thread.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:27 PM
1st Gear

Another TL 2005 dashboard cracked joined in. I have a Toyota Camry for 19 yeas with no such issue. I owned many different brand cars before , none of them have dashboard cracked issue. For an expensive car like Acura, it is shame to drive around with dashboard cracked whcih like a damn worthless junk car found in a Auto junk yard. Acura will Never be my choice again or for any of you. Shame Brand.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:25 AM

So Shame, Much Cracks.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:14 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
so shame, much cracks.
wow
Old 02-15-2015, 05:13 PM

point was...shameful company for a failure on their dashes a decade later...seemed a bit harsh.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,576 Likes on 6,626 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143

point was...shameful company for a failure on their dashes a decade later...seemed a bit harsh.
He was so angry about his cracked dashboard that he joined AZ, an Acura enthusiast website just to voice his dissatisfaction of the entire brand
Old 02-16-2015, 11:32 AM

Indeed!

Quick Reply: My cracked dashboard ordeal...