Bluetooth Fails

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 09:21 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Y.
Then you didn't read the middle of the thread, where my posts are located.

The HFL I got from Tim for my '05 w/Nav was plug-and-play.

The different part numbers are due to the color of the plastic bezel which comes attached to the HFL.

Welcome to AZ.
My bad, I'm bleary-eyed from reading so much on here lately! I'l be ordering mine in a day or so. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:34 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
in my case, either one of these units would work for me.

39770-SEP-A02ZA (this was the model # on my defective HFL unit)
39770-SEP-305ZA (this was the new unit i purchases)
Old 04-25-2012, 01:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
ordered the hfl unit early this mourning...hoping acuraexress sends it over before the weekend
Old 05-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Too many $$ toys

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Considering their is a TSB, they should be replacing these for free. Just the reason my wife's next ride will be a new M3.

[TSB 08-057] HandsFreeLink (HFL) Doesn't Work
SYMPTOM
The HandsFreeLink (HFL) system doesn’t work, and the battery sometimes won’t start the vehicle.

APPLIES TO
2007-08 TL (ALL)
2008 MDX (ALL)

PROBABLE CAUSE
The HFL control unit has an internal problem, which creates a parasitic current draw of 250 mA.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Replace the HFL control unit.

PARTS INFORMATION
HFL Control Unit:
MDX:
P/N 39770-STX-A01

TL except Type-S:
Moon Lake Gray, NH528L
P/N 39770-SEP-A12ZA
Gray, YR167L
P/N 39770-SEP-A12ZB
Light Cream Ivory, YR240L
P/N 39770-SEP-A12ZC

TL Type-S:
Graphite Black, NH167L
P/N 39770-SEP-A62ZA
Gray, NH556L
P/N 39770-SEP-A62ZB

WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
In warranty: The normal warranty applies.
Failed Part: P/N 39770-SEP-A12ZA
Defect Code: 03217
Symptom Code: 09001
Skill Level: Repair Technician

Out of warranty: Any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone
Office. You must request consideration, and get a decision, before starting work.
The following users liked this post:
bibledriver (11-04-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 07:09 PM
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Acura HFL

Just went through this myself, take a look here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/2005-tl-hfl-malfunction-parasitic-draw-856535/

Ordered a new HFL, replaced it within 5 minutes, good as new.
Saved over 900$ dollars.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:24 AM
6th Gear

Bluetooth module finally replaced...

After reading this entire thread, I ordered the telephone module from oemacuraparts.com. Two days, $190 and ten minutes later, I had the woman in the roof asking for my pardon again!

After almost a year of intermittent operation and one dead battery, this is such a relief!

Thanks, guys.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:19 AM
7th Gear

Greetings Everyone!

Apologies for bumping an old thread...A new member here Just seeing if anyone who was a part of this thread for the past couple of years could help me out.

I've recently purchased a 06 Navi Black/Tan

Among the issues that got me to talk the Owner down on the price was the "Booting Up" issue/ no response when the talk button is pressed

Because of the associated Battery Drain i'm going to tackle this first along with brake pads/rotors etc...I've noticed the heat sensation on the part near the sunroof controls and there's corrosion on the positive line of the body(not sure if it's associated)

So. I'm going to order the part from one of the websites mentioned on this thread...I'll probably go to a shop to have it installed....better to pay someone 50$ than to carve up the interior of my new(to me) car.

Any final thoughts before I make the call?
Old 06-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by LtClaybon
I've recently purchased a 06 Navi Black/Tan...

So. I'm going to order the part from one of the websites mentioned on this thread...I'll probably go to a shop to have it installed....better to pay someone 50$ than to carve up the interior of my new(to me) car.
1) The HFL comes with a bezel, which is color-matched to your interior. The bezel color accounts for the difference between the part numbers; some are thus more expensive than others, IIRC.
FWIW, you can dismount the HFL and use the original bezel if there is a price or shipping time difference, or if you get the wrong bezel color, as happened to one member.

2) Oemacuraparts.com and acuraoemparts.com are both vendors and likely to get you the best price, but call your local dealership's parts department in case it price matches. My dealer wanted $220 b/f taxes instead of the shipped-to-my-door cost of $180 or so from Acura of Peoria.

3) Replacing the HFL is incredibly easy, per the instructions in this thread.
FWIW, we're talking a 3-minute job for a tech who has done more than one HFL, and 10 minutes max for a with a thin-bladed knife/feeler gauge (to pop down the sunroof switch) and a ratchet wrench for the 4 bolts.

4) Welcome to AZ!

Last edited by Will Y.; 06-01-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:34 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just bought my HFL part from acurapartsexpress for $151 + $9 shipping. My brother-in-law has an '06 TL that he bought from an Acura dealer 1 year ago and he says they'll replace his under warranty
Old 06-30-2012, 04:11 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mmclendon
Good news! I was able to repair my Acura Bluetooth module. As you may recall it suddenly quit pairing with any phone but passed the onboard diagnostics. It now works fine.

Since Acura, the dealership and the manufacturer of the Bluetooth module all declined to swap out my failed unit to perform a root cause failure analysis, I decided to have a look at this infamous module.

It is located in the roof console and takes just a few minutes to remove the bezel where the module is mounted. On the bench, the cover protecting the ciurcuit boards was removed with three torx fasteners and the processor board piggy-backed on the main board was unplugged and set aside on a static control mat. The processor board is not serviceable without specialized test equipment.

So looking at the main board, a switching power supply was obvious. The capacitors used in a switch power supply must have a low ESR (equivalent series resistance) to permit the supplly to start up and operate. Capacitors used in this function must be quality parts with a high temperature rating and appropriate safe voltage rating.

The large capacitor adjacent to the switching inductor exhibited a terrible ESR and for all practical purposes had an open circuit.

This is a surface mounted device and once removed I replaced it with a conventional thru-hole leaded capacitor. I chose a 25 volt 220 uF 105 degree C component. Just for S&Gs, I reassembled the console and the Bluetooth system in the car once again works as well as it did when purchased new.

Costs?

30 minutes to remove and replace the console
30 minutes on the bench to test and replace the bad capacitor
$2.15 for the capacitor

Observations:

The dealership's labor estimate of 30 minutes to an hour is fairly typical. The parts markup is by the dealer and or the manufactureer is where the greed comes in. This is NOT a $650.00 part.

Johnson Control's attitude is very defensive - I am sure that they would not compromise their lucrative contract with Acura to produce these modules. They have no real retail face to the consumer.

Acura's attitude is surprising to me in that they do not care that these modules are failing. That is just my reaction to what I once imagined was an exceptional car company.

Recommendation: If your Bluetooth module is not working and you are out of warranty / goodwill assistance getting it fixed by Acura, take it out and let an electronics technician have a look. You might just be able to repeat my experience.

Good luck!
I tried this and it worked!!! I don't know anything about electronics but I went on ebay, found what you were talking about for $3.00 and it came in looking a little different, but once I pulled out the old conductor and pulled off the prongs on the new one, I figured I've got nothing to lose. Put it all back together and she started talking to me again. Your a genius!!!!
Old 07-01-2012, 12:10 AM
5th Gear

I read the entire thread, and there's a few conflicting posts. I have a 2006 w/navigation. Does navigation matter? For the most part, I've seen this part:

39770-SEP-A02ZA
http://www.oemacuraparts.com/acura/t...p-a02za-acura/

I also did see 1 post with:

39770-SEP-A12ZA
http://www.oemacuraparts.com/acura/t...p-a12za-acura/

What's the second item?

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2012, 07:49 PM
1st Gear

Thank you for taking taking the time to share your information! I recently purchased an 05 TL and found the bluetooth was inop. Car is mechanically sound otherwise. I will get an old electronics Navy buddy to help me out...
Old 07-19-2012, 01:14 AM
2nd Gear

Help please

Originally Posted by erdoc48
Check this- it shows pics and a narrative for cap location:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mjmclend...ir?feat=email#

If you're not good with electronics, find someone who can do it for you- first, I would clean the contacts with contact cleaner spray from Radio Shack- spray on the female end on the board, plug harness into it, and wait 30 minutes for the stuff to evaporate so you don't get a short (potentially)- if that doesn't work, take the board out and see if someone you know can do the soldering for you.

This is the exact cap I bought- it's a surface mount cap from www.mouser.com:

667-EEE-FK1H221P
Panasonic Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - SMD
220UF 50V

It was $1.12 + shipping.
Hello, the link provided is not working. Can you please upload again as I would really like to see if replacing the capacitor does the trick on my mal-functioned HFL.

Thank you!
Old 07-19-2012, 01:36 AM
2nd Gear

hello, first of all, I would like to thank you for figuring out a solution to this stupid problem of HFL. I personally believe that Acura should cover this charge but that is a totally different story. I click on the link you provided for pics but picasa says, page not available or something. Would you mind uploading a new link if you still have those pics please.

Thank you!
Old 08-07-2012, 10:39 AM
2nd Gear

Hello, Anyone wanting to have this done can mail us the board, we have the parts in stock. Total cost is $45.
Mail to :
Godin Technologies
196 Grand Oak Cir
Venice FL 34292
941-773-3848

Regards
Old 08-23-2012, 10:52 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
well, the recent brand new HFL unit i purchased back in April of this year already crapped out on me. My phone seems to be still connected but the HFL unit is not routing any incoming/outcoming calls from my phone into the car's speaker system anymore. weird.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:06 AM
5th Gear

Anyone have any recent pictures on how to fix the problem? Seems like all the ones previously posted are gone
Old 08-26-2012, 11:23 PM
Drifting

Received 604 Likes on 476 Posts
Originally Posted by DEBBGD
Anyone have any recent pictures on how to fix the problem? Seems like all the ones previously posted are gone
Not sure what pictures you are looking for but I just ordered and installed a new HFL module in my 08 Base Non-Navi...literally took 10 minutes. Pop out the map light/moonroof control unit, take out the 4 8mm bolts, unplug the module and reverse for the new modle unit. Paid $196 plus shipping for the new module. Quoted $700 by my local Acura dealer for this.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Drifting

Received 604 Likes on 476 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Y.
1) The HFL comes with a bezel, which is color-matched to your interior. The bezel color accounts for the difference between the part numbers; some are thus more expensive than others, IIRC.
FWIW, you can dismount the HFL and use the original bezel if there is a price or shipping time difference, or if you get the wrong bezel color, as happened to one member.

2) Oemacuraparts.com and acuraoemparts.com are both vendors and likely to get you the best price, but call your local dealership's parts department in case it price matches. My dealer wanted $220 b/f taxes instead of the shipped-to-my-door cost of $180 or so from Acura of Peoria.

3) Replacing the HFL is incredibly easy, per the instructions in this thread.
FWIW, we're talking a 3-minute job for a tech who has done more than one HFL, and 10 minutes max for a with a thin-bladed knife/feeler gauge (to pop down the sunroof switch) and a ratchet wrench for the 4 bolts.

4) Welcome to AZ!
I concur...i just changed mine on Friday, literally took 10 minutes.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:06 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
if you guys end up having issues with the new unit, don't assume it's the unit. I had some issues with the last version of android where sometimes it wouldn't pare on it's own. The phone plays a part in this too.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DEBBGD

^^^DITTO!! we need new pics! PLEASE
Old 09-05-2012, 05:36 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Before you buy a new HFL unit, try taking it apart and disconnect the circuit boards. In my 06 TL with navi, the HFL unit has two boards mounted on top of each other. Carefully pry the boards apart and then reattach them. That's all I did and my HFL is now working perfectly. I think the vibration of everyday driving may have loosened the boards. There is no hardware to keep them together other than the connector friction.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:09 AM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
<<=== another victim. I thought it was my phone at first since it seem to stop working after i rooted & updated my phone. Tried my work cell today and it didnt pick up the HFL or the other way around. I guess i'll try taking my HFL unit and reconnecting it to see if that work. If not then maybe attempt the capacitor replacement. Last resort buy a new HFL unit. I'll report back
Old 09-06-2012, 07:29 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
^^^cap didn't work for me...
tapping on the upper compartment and unplugging/replugging it worked for a little while, but never for more than a day or 2.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:48 AM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts
I would like to report my experience. I have an 05 w/ navi and I bought a slightly used one from a member that was putting his car back to stock to trade it in. since he had just replaced it he figured he could get some money back. His car is an 05 without navi. The unit works fine in my car, I only payed $60.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:59 PM
Way Too Cold.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've went through this whole thread but can't determine for sure which part # is the correct one. Would someone please kindly assist me in identifying the right one?

2007 Acura TL Base w/ Navi
Black Interior

For the record, my HFL just went out today, when I press the call buttons on my steering column nothing happens and if i run the diagnostic HFL comes up red with "NG" status.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Way Too Cold.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by acura_dipset_tl
I would like to report my experience. I have an 05 w/ navi and I bought a slightly used one from a member that was putting his car back to stock to trade it in. since he had just replaced it he figured he could get some money back. His car is an 05 without navi. The unit works fine in my car, I only payed $60.
when replacing the unit on a navi model do you have to pull out the console and mess with the delay box too? I saw that in the bulletin but not sure if its necessary.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:33 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, but my fix also lasted less than two hours. I am back to zero. The HFL buttons don't even respond now. I will try the cap fix but I am not holding my breath.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:56 PM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by seven654three
when replacing the unit on a navi model do you have to pull out the console and mess with the delay box too? I saw that in the bulletin but not sure if its necessary.
Nope, I didn't have to. Once I replaced the unit everything started working as it should.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:29 PM
1st Gear

Edit by Administrator Ron A: Sorry but we have some pretty stringent rules here.

This post has been edited since it was posted in the wrong forum, and also because you are not eligible to post a thread in the Black Market Forum yet.

All sale, trade, and want to buy threads or posts must be posted in the appropriate Black Market forum.

Members may not post new threads in the Black Market until they have been registered for 15 days and have made 5 constructive posts. They can post in Black Market threads if they are responding about something being sold that they might want, but they may not post their Want To Buy request in other members threads.

Members may not post anything for sale or trade until they have been a registered member for sixty (60) days and have 30 acceptable posts. They may respond to other threads if they wish, and make purchases, and also post Want To Buy (WTB) threads when they are eligible, but do not mention any items for sale or trade when posting in other threads.

If you are not eligible to post a thread in the Black Market Forum, you will just have to wait.

Please read THE BLACK MARKET RULES for more information.

Sorry to have to say this under these circumstances, but welcome to the forum.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought a new one from acuraoemparts.com (Del Ray Acura)...had it shipped, replaced it in less than 30 mins, and works great.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:45 AM
17/TLX/Adv/FBP

Bluetooth connect intermittent

My 2005 TL (HFL) Hands Free Link is not pairing recently. When I tap on the housing, then it will connect. I have tried cleaning the contacts on the HFL module and reseating, still has same problem. Diagnostic mode checks out fine. What would cause the bluetooth problem to be intermittent? I would like to try some other things before just ordering a new module. Any other suggestions for the intermittent bluetooth?
Old 09-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Intermediate

Yep, the HFL on my 06 TL that I proudly purchased last week doesn't work. Previous owner said he never used it and that makes sense, it doesn't work. So far I'm glad I didn't purchase that 2013 RDX I was looking at and decided on a private 1-owner TL. I noticed during my test drive the HFL didn't recognize commands very well in the RDX. Perhaps same problem still exist. If old information bear with me I'm new to this page.

Now my problem is fixing the HFL Bluetooth, but the work around mentioned previously may be a better approach.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by youraway
Yep, the HFL on my 06 TL that I proudly purchased last week doesn't work. Previous owner said he never used it and that makes sense, it doesn't work. So far I'm glad I didn't purchase that 2013 RDX I was looking at and decided on a private 1-owner TL. I noticed during my test drive the HFL didn't recognize commands very well in the RDX. Perhaps same problem still exist. If old information bear with me I'm new to this page.

Now my problem is fixing the HFL Bluetooth, but the work around mentioned previously may be a better approach.
Tried banging on the roof and the HFL enclosure and system didn't work at first, then after a few miles I heard a male voice say the "HFL System is Working". I pressed talk and heard a beep and the male voice provided four options. I arrived at my destination and turned OFF the car. 10 minutes passed and I started the car and the HFL system does NOT work again. So banging is good for short periods. I'll be taking the HFL System out tonight if time permits.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:02 PM
Life Connoisseur

Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts
So, I have quite a few capacitors laying around.

Is more voltage or uF better?

Old 09-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Life Connoisseur

Looking at post two, I'm going to replace this capacitor ... I have several that look like the one in this pic of page #2:

Name:  IMG_3154.jpg
Views: 1849
Size:  37.6 KB
Old 09-24-2012, 09:59 PM
Life Connoisseur

Pics for reference:

Note the polarity of the SMD type capacitors:

Notice how this capacitor is all brown with a stripe?
That stripe is the negative polarity:
Old 09-24-2012, 10:02 PM
Life Connoisseur

I'm opting for a 35v (it's OK to go higher ... don't go crazy though) 220uF and 105 ° C
Old 09-24-2012, 10:04 PM
Life Connoisseur

Here's a nice general walkthrough in converting from SMD to lead:

http://console5.com/wiki/Converting_...ded_Capacitors
Old 09-24-2012, 10:05 PM
Life Connoisseur

Pic of mine before removing SMD on board:

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Fails