Can I put a full can of seafoam in 1/2 tank of gaz?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 09:51 AM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
indoMFP

I know this is going to be very hard for some of you to believe - the rest of you may laugh smugly at my expense for trying too hard to help all the time
so you all may want to be sitting down.......ok ready....
I was wrong---

shhhh dont tell my wife I said that----------- EVER!!!

Turns out the can I buy is not 8 oz-1pint as I thought, but IS actually 16 oz -1 pint,
Somehow in my mind writing on all these diy and question threads- with all the 8 oz to 4 gallons gas talk lately- that number got stuck in my head 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8
Doh~ surely I am slightly older than the magma of earth itself- memory gone- must use gps to find anything these days~
A normally found on part store shelf can is- 16 ounces- use half the can in 1/4 tank of gas and half the can in the intake manifold
Always ok to use in fuel tank when ever you want to- trips are a great time with constant fuel flow and temps helping it do its thing-

Just did the wifes kids car (some Pontiac POS) in prep for smog test- TB spray cleaner thru the intake snorkel, 4 oz foam into a vac port at manifold and most of it, about 12 oz of seafoam in gas tank, slightly higher than cleaning dose now that I did the math over- oh well- it needs it!
1. Don't know why this was directed at me...
2. I am not sitting here with a smug smile on my face because you made a simple calculation error :shakehead
3. I like the fact that you are here and are willing to assist us in any pursuit of maintaining and repairing our vehicles. I for one find it validating when you post in threads where I have asked questions that agree with my assessment. I by no means am a mechanic at this point in my life and my short-lived career as one never involved complicated vehicles like the Acura. I welcome your input and knowledge.
4. Although when you provide advice and knowledge, I do ask that you not get condescending when it comes to newbs working on their vehicle. You will never learn something unless you try it, and I have seen numerous posts by you before telling newbs to just leave it alone and take it to a mechanic. That stifles growth and doesn't allow for newcomers to learn their vehicle. and yes, for those that are not mechanically inclined, then I welcome that advice, but those that want to try, let them and help them along the way...
5. We all make mistake, no big deal...

That is all...
Old 05-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
indo- it wasnt `directed` at you- just called to your attention to it since you brought the error to the for-front in a post here pointing it out.
I figured those that dont think i am a giant hole- well, they can all have a laugh at my stupid reading/math error- it was posted in fun~~

I try to get members to DIY whenever possible, there are SOME jobs on the TL, that based on what the poster is asking- MAY be way over their safety and comfort level of doing.
Certain other jobs- even I will pay someone else to do the tight area work, and save the remaining skin on my hands!

Noobs- Its not meant as condesencion- its meant to protect!!!- like if you only own a basic cheap weak construction 2 dollar ratchet set--- I am going to suggest that changing the shocks and compressing the springs is not for you at this time. Ask several here who made a trip to the dentist (kiran spent $2500) or ER visit after working on things- and some of those members were skilled at working on their car.
Also if you sound way unsure about brakes- seeing as how they are the most important part of the car-- IMO (trees are proven to suck as decelleration devices) then its time for a pro to come into the story.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Team Owner

I PMd certain people with a link to this thread last night- those who understand my humor, and they all thought it was hilarious that I had to admit wrongness- OMG tom admit wrwhahrs\whatat ronfngnremw wrogfn
see- I cant even type it again!!!

Maybe I should change my name to `The Stephen Colbert of Cars`
What I believe to be true is all the truthiness I need thank you

I said- goodday sir!
I said goodday~~~
Old 05-15-2008, 01:29 PM
What your problem is?

indo- it wasnt `directed` at you- just called to your attention to it since you brought the error to the for-front in a post here pointing it out.
I figured those that dont think i am a giant hole- well, they can all have a laugh at my stupid reading/math error- it was posted in fun~~
Fair enough. I just posted the error in fun as you and Kris are like the 2G TL gurus... so a lot of what you guys say is taken as 'gospel.' I was merely pointing out the 'mortal' nature of your being.... and I hope by me pointing the error out in no way offended you, I didn't think it would and it didn't seem to. That was not the intent... lol... since this is a forum and the means by which we communicate is written, we all can't determine attitude, emotion, and sarcasm as easily as we could in a face to face conv.

So for the folks that think your a giant a-hole, let them, but for the rest of us, keep providing us the valuable information we expect from you... (but some of us will still make fun of you and others, the nature of the beast)

okay, that is all... really, case closed...
Old 05-15-2008, 03:11 PM
Team Owner

Mere Mortal you say? then why am I wearing underwear on top of my pants?
I thought that made me Answer Man!!!!

and why does my wife keep calling me Your Royal Type A ness
Old 05-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Team Owner

And whats with all the emails - 15 a day!! I get, about enlarging that certain part of the male anatomy!!

Its not so much the 12 sent by my wife- or the 3 by the Ex,,,,

its the 2 from Mom that really hurt
Old 05-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
haha tom's got jokes. Hey tom, you think i could get like 3 cans of seafoam for me? for some reason they dont sell it in sac im thinking of 2-8oz cans in the tank with about 1/2 - 1/4 tank of gas and one in the intake. or should i get 6 cans and repeat after 2k miles? cause im pretty sure this is gonna be my car's first time and im gonna do it as part of the 105k service

how much do you use?
2 and 2 or 2 and 1 like i said above or maybe 1 and 1
Old 05-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Tom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im thinking of 2-8oz cans in the tank with about 1/2 - 1/4 tank
Post the picture of your 8oz can and then we can talk.
As far as buying another set of seafoarm cans for the next turn around... If it's on sale I 'd do it, otherwise no.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:03 PM
What your problem is?

And whats with all the emails - 15 a day!! I get, about enlarging that certain part of the male anatomy!!

Its not so much the 12 sent by my wife- or the 3 by the Ex,,,,

its the 2 from Mom that really hurt
Damn, there you go again... we need to work on the math skills...
12 emails from the wife about male enhancement
3 emails from the ex about male enhancement
2 emails from your moms about male enhancement
17 emails total from all women about make enhancement... not the 15 you previously calculated...

Pop Quiz: How many times did I utilize the phrase 'male enhancement' in this thread??? Please, only Tom answer... hahahaha
Old 05-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Team Owner

They dont sell 8 ounce cans- I got confused - so everyone should know that the standard
6 dollar can is---- 16 ounces. Thats enough to do 1/4 tank of gas and the intake manifold from 1 can on the budget method

azn- get two 16 ounce cans at kragen or azone or walmart
1 can for the gas tank- ratio 2 oz to 1 gallon of gas in the tank, super cleaning doseage- round numbers-- the tank holds 16 gallons
and 1 can for the intake vac port- whatever may be left in that can goes into the gas tank as well- or the lawnmower!!
and now- with research- I see how important it is to clean the oil passages on any car, and especially our car-
so 1/2 to 1 can in the engine oil just before a change too

I wish they sold gallons out here!
Old 05-15-2008, 04:55 PM
Tom

Old 05-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Team Owner

Is my problem the inabilty to do basic math?- the need for reading glasses at the computer?,,,, or that so much blood has left my thinking head -------------
after all those trial sample packs were put to use~
Old 05-16-2008, 03:33 AM
Suzuka Master

so 16oz in the tank at about 1/2 tank and i was thinking 8oz in the crank and 8oz in the intake. cause 1 can in the intake seems like a lot.
wouldnt pouring 8-16oz of seafoam in the crank overfill it? and like overfilling the oil in cars, wouldnt that damage the internals?

but tom, i havent seen a single can here in sac before. you gotta show me where to get some next time we get a meet together in stockton.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:26 AM
Team Owner

azn- the intake vac will take up to about 16 oz- the whole can- how can it be too much?
as for the oil- be ready to change it after adding foam- and it wont cause an overfill condition- not like its a quart of stuff being added to the oil!
Many of us run 5 qts oil - not the spec of 4.7, with no issues
so dont worry-

Go look at the stores I said- ask the counter person at parts store - then when they look puzzeled, go directly to the fuel cleaner shelfs- on the TOP shelf will be the white can of seafoam- much to the amazement of the parts counter~
Old 05-16-2008, 06:29 AM
Team Owner

Most of what we want to oocur is due to the intake vac method blasting right into the intake valves- the runners and the piston tops,,,so dont short that part of the job due to your concerns. The gas tank method mainly does the injectors- and helps with the rest of the intake
After the 1st time you will feel like an expert and a fool- all at once!
2nd time- you are master of the foam!!!
Old 05-17-2008, 03:57 AM
Suzuka Master

No kidding tom, i have never seen a bottle of seafoam in front of me before. and yes i looked.

any concerns doing seafoam at 105k for the first time? like running synthetic oil in a old car with high miles?
Old 05-17-2008, 07:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by aznboi2424
No kidding tom, i have never seen a bottle of seafoam in front of me before. and yes i looked.

any concerns doing seafoam at 105k for the first time? like running synthetic oil in a old car with high miles?
There isnt a risk with that either unless you are already burning oil like mad
Old 05-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Team Owner

a TL with 100,000 miles is barely broken in~ as kris says- if not madly burning oil already you are ok to use foam AND synthetic oil in a TL
These engines are sweet- and seafoam is a really good idea- or wynns or whatever brand you have a family allegience too!
fsttyms ran dino oil for 100k miles- then went synthetic for the next 100k miles then pulled the engine out (I think he was bored 1 day and decided to drop a CL-S motor and 6 speed trans in a TL)
He pulled the motor apart and at 200k it was spotless and like new inside- excellent condition!!
Had been foamed many times in its life with no bad results

azn Did you go look at the shelf at autozone- they carry it,,,if not- we can meet halfway at Pocket and do foam at mcDs parking lot, then hit the freeway
Old 05-18-2008, 03:37 AM
Suzuka Master

well i know you arent supposed to use syntheic oil in older cars with high miles cause i heard it will clean the gunk from the seals. the gunk is covering the seals preventing a leak. no gunk and the oil will get past the brittle seals.
I was just wondering if there was any problems with that with seafoam.
Thanks for the invite tom but i think im gonna do it as part of my 105k service. then i can pull plugs at the same time too. but if i cant find any from now till then, then ill let you know.
how bout this for a vid: 105k first time seafoam on 01 CL-S
Old 05-18-2008, 04:45 AM
Team Owner

actually= synthetics can/will moisten and often revive older rubber seals, giving more life to them,,,, lessening oil leaks! A bonus advertised by the makers (and a trick I use on my truck- top off oil with synthetic!) Who would have thought!
I foam direct thru the carb to clean valve guide seals dripped oil off the pistons, but dont use the oil method on that vehicle. The crud has a purpose on it~

There are many old oil myths and realities that are no longer valid, and certainly do not apply to a TL!!!
You can do seafoam before the 105- and wont hurt the plugs as long as you do the hotfoot drive aftewards- only those who foam and forget it are at risk.
There are methods of using foam in different ways- sit overnignt or long term storage- or the dump in and stall engine method, that is not for us either!
Foam it today and enjoy better performance and economy tomorrow!!
I did my 01TL at 80k miles- no plug loading issues were a result of cleaning.

Dont make jokes about me stopping by the store for you!!- I am fixit man!!!~ ready to respond the TL (CL) emergencies with my mighty can of seafoam and a brake replacement toolkit at the ready!!
(superhero theme music in background) uhoh - I sense someone trying to foam on a cold engine...I must right the wrongs.....!
Old 05-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Tom

My impression with 1st time Seafoarm.

I did seafoarm on my TL last Friday and took some pictures to share with all you and also for my future reference so please correct me if you found some wrong.
Time was around 9PM. I got three 16oz Seafoarm cans

First, I pour 1 can to the gas tank (there was about 1/4 of gas left in there)

So I did drive for about 10min. just to warm up the engine.
Then, I disconnected the intake vacuum hose and installed the 5/16"tubing in place.

Turn the engine on, and let the (intake TB.) seafoarm cleanning begin.

The engine is shut off right after I deep the tubing into the liquid. So that mean you have to leave the end tubing about 1/2" above the liquid surface. The vacuum is so strong, it will suck the seafoarm right in.

It tooks me longer than 5min to empty the bottle. May be because of my first time. Smoke start come out of the mufflers just about a mintute before the seafoarm liquid could be finished. I'm kind like "Oh sh*t, I better hurry up!"
Soon as the bottle is empty, I shut off the engine, plug the intake vacuum hose back in place and run inside, saved myselft from the smoke.

I wait for 15min then get back to my TL and start the engine. Supprisely, it starts right off, no problem so far other than the CEL is study ON.
There's a lot of dark smoke from the mufflers.
So, I start back up and get off my drive way, what did I saw in front of my street is 2 cars (go opposite direction) who already pull over and stop on the side road, look at me with a big ball eyes.
I have hear some clicking sound and the car jerk for a moment soon as I rev the engine to high RPM. I think the clicking sound came from the igition relay switch.
Large Smoke only last for a minute, that's it. It's already gone before I hit hwy.
I drive for about 20min with D2 and D3 in most case.

And I did reset the CEL on the next morning.
I have the Code ready for my Navi and Radio but supprisingly, They didn't ask for the Code.
The CEL however is no longer stay lite.

So, my last seafoarm can will be save for next week before oil change (and so spark plugs)
Old 09-20-2008, 01:28 AM
UB6IB9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just seafoamed my car today(vac line and fuel tank with low fuel light on)
It smoked for about a minute when I started it up, went for a spirited ride mainly on 2nd andded half tank fuel and so far i've noticed that the idle is smoother,throttle response is better and from first to second at wot the tires rip out a bit.No cel light.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:00 PM
There's no Acura in

I have a seafoam story, but this is when I had my shitty Chevy Malibu (a car that definitely needed it). I poured 1/2 a can into a 1/4 full gas tank and the other half into the crank case. The end result: my car didn't start for a couple of days. Would crank & crank but the engine just wouldn't catch. Battery went dead, needed a jump but car still wouldn't catch. Would "tuff tuff" but not catch.

I ultimately did get it to start after a couple days but I didn't do anything special. I just gave it a 100% open throttle before I started cranking....did this a couple times & it finally caught. Had to be quick to release my foot 'cause I didn't expect it to start (as usual).

So maybe all I'm saying is if your car is already in bad condition (like mine was)...beware of not being able to start.

The engine did run a lot quieter & smoother afterwards though!
Old 09-20-2008, 03:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by newperson
I have a seafoam story, but this is when I had my shitty Chevy Malibu (a car that definitely needed it). I poured 1/2 a can into a 1/4 full gas tank and the other half into the crank case. The end result: my car didn't start for a couple of days. Would crank & crank but the engine just wouldn't catch. Battery went dead, needed a jump but car still wouldn't catch. Would "tuff tuff" but not catch.

I ultimately did get it to start after a couple days but I didn't do anything special. I just gave it a 100% open throttle before I started cranking....did this a couple times & it finally caught. Had to be quick to release my foot 'cause I didn't expect it to start (as usual).

So maybe all I'm saying is if your car is already in bad condition (like mine was)...beware of not being able to start.

The engine did run a lot quieter & smoother afterwards though!
Putting it where you did should have absolutely nothing to do with your car not starting. neither place would have effected starting.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:08 PM
There's no Acura in

Ok.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:55 PM
1st Gear

1eyed pirate

Originally Posted by indoMFP
1. Don't know why this was directed at me...
2. I am not sitting here with a smug smile on my face because you made a simple calculation error :shakehead
3. I like the fact that you are here and are willing to assist us in any pursuit of maintaining and repairing our vehicles. I for one find it validating when you post in threads where I have asked questions that agree with my assessment. I by no means am a mechanic at this point in my life and my short-lived career as one never involved complicated vehicles like the Acura. I welcome your input and knowledge.
4. Although when you provide advice and knowledge, I do ask that you not get condescending when it comes to newbs working on their vehicle. You will never learn something unless you try it, and I have seen numerous posts by you before telling newbs to just leave it alone and take it to a mechanic. That stifles growth and doesn't allow for newcomers to learn their vehicle. and yes, for those that are not mechanically inclined, then I welcome that advice, but those that want to try, let them and help them along the way...
5. We all make mistake, no big deal...

That is all...
I recently added a full can of sea foam after I filled my car with gas. Didn't add the sea foam spray to my intake. The next day I actually started losing power until it shut off. Now it won't crank back up.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:03 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Seafoam strikes again, or maybe it is just a coincidence. Either way, don't ever use it again, the stuff is nothing but snake oil.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Originally Posted by Shawn Mullinax
I recently added a full can of sea foam after I filled my car with gas. Didn't add the sea foam spray to my intake. The next day I actually started losing power until it shut off. Now it won't crank back up.
womp womp