Oil change problem??

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 11:27 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Oil change problem??

I changed my oil today and noticed the drain plug has been leaking. I have changed the oil myself since new and I am quite positive I tightened the plug. I always use a new washer on the plug as well. THis time I used 2 washers and tightened it a bit more. Do you think the double washer setup is OK? Anyone else that changes their own oil have a similar problem? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:29 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Champagne
I changed my oil today and noticed the drain plug has been leaking. I have changed the oil myself since new and I am quite positive I tightened the plug. I always use a new washer on the plug as well. THis time I used 2 washers and tightened it a bit more. Do you think the double washer setup is OK? Anyone else that changes their own oil have a similar problem? Thanks in advance.
Of course it's the two washers.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:31 AM
Instructor

Use one washer. Washers do not seal as well against each other.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:13 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,019 Likes on 2,497 Posts
In the past I've replaced the AL washer, cleaned off the drain plug and oil pan threads, torqued to the spec and STILL had a minor dripping leak.

The solution I've done for years is to put a very small amount of Permatex aviation gasket sealer (available at most autopart stores) on both sides of the washer and the last few threads neat the head of the drain plug. I have never had a leak with this technique. Again I use very little of Permatex sealer to minimize contact with oil in the oil pan. This sealer does not hardden and remains tacky.

For whatever reason on Honda's and Acura's the 1.25mm thread cut on the drain plug to the oil pan has a loose play so they tend to sometimes have a very slow oil leak. Also never torque beyond the recommended limit set by the manual (29ft/lb)

Old 06-12-2005, 12:35 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,019 Likes on 2,497 Posts
This is the sealer I use in the previous posting

Permatex® Aviation Form-A-Gasket® No. 3 Sealant
Nonhardening liquid gasket sealant/dressing/coating is a thin, brushable dressing or sealer for close-fitting parts. Suitable for continuous temperatures to 400°F (204°C). Resistant to antifreeze, aviation fuels, high-detergent oils and lubricants. Conforms to MIL-S-45180 D.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Why did you put 2 washers and why did you overtighten the plug? No wonder you have a problem, stick to the book and use one washer and tighten it to specifications and you wont have the so-called "problem"
Old 06-12-2005, 01:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Unhappy If one is good, is two better?

The first time I changed the oil (only time, actually), I re-used the aluminum crush washer since it looked pristine to the naked eye.

I ended up with a slight drip around the drain bolt.

I replaced the washer with a new one, tightened it with my torque wrench to the correct specs, and no leak. Then... I cleaned up the mess on my garage floor and topped off the oil making a mental note to never do that again.

Two washers just gives two more surfaces to leak. I wouldn't do it.

OT: I was down about a quart from factory fill after 3400 miles when I changed the oil.

I will move this thread to Problems and Fixes for better responses.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Xpditor
The first time I changed the oil (only time, actually), I re-used the aluminum crush washer since it looked pristine to the naked eye.

I ended up with a slight drip around the drain bolt.

I replaced the washer with a new one, tightened it with my torque wrench to the correct specs, and no leak. Then... I cleaned up the mess on my garage floor and topped off the oil making a mental note to never do that again.

Two washers just gives two more surfaces to leak. I wouldn't do it.

OT: I was down about a quart from factory fill after 3400 miles when I changed the oil.

I will move this thread to Problems and Fixes for better responses.

I'm having the same slow drip coming from the drain bolt...i purchased a new bolt and crush washer from acura today and still have the slight drip...

My thinking is that on a relatively new car I shouldn't need to use any additional gasket materials. Anyone else having this problem?
Old 08-28-2007, 09:27 PM
Instructor

Nope - two oil changes on my 07 TL-S and not any sign of an oil leak. Would not expect an oil leak from this engine. No oil leaks on my 05 S2000 or on my 95 4Runner. Do what the owners manual tells you to do.