Weird idle after oil change, car has no power

Old 08-22-2014, 11:06 PM
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Weird idle after oil change, car has no power

Hey guys,

I was in a rush so took my car to Firestone for an oil change on Wednesday. Car was working totally fine when I took it there. After the oil change, all seemed well, ran a few errands and brought the car home and parked in the garage.

Didn't use the car at all on Thursday.

Just went to pull the car out of the garage today, car started up fine and then almost immediately the revs dropped and it sounded really muted, not like it normally does at all. I thought maybe they screwed up the oil change, so I pulled the dipstick and it right about the top dot - full. No leaks under the car from what I can tell.

It looks like the idle is sitting around 50-100 rpm from what I can tell, IIRC it normally idled around 800-1k (could be wrong)? When I went to put the car into gear the car just died as the revs were too low.

It seems like that oil change is the only variable. I never had this problem at all before, and then suddenly now I do. Is this just a random coincidence, or did Firestone screw something up?

What do I do? And is it safe to drive the car as is, just giving it more gas to get in gear? No warning lights are showing...

I don't think I would trust taking it back to Firestone if they were the guys that screwed it up... But I figure if any other mechanic touches it then they would just push the blame over to them... Really not sure what the best thing to do is.

Btw, the car is a 6 speed type s

Thanks

Last edited by helloha1; 08-22-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:42 PM
Advanced

One thing I forgot to mention - about 3000 miles ago my cruise control stopped working. Diagnosed it to the 15A cruise control/ECU fuse, and everything was great after I replaced that. That fuse is still in good shape, but any chance this might be related?

Also, I just got back from a 2500 mile road trip last week, any chance this may be related either?
Old 08-23-2014, 06:12 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Sounds like a vacuum leak.
Try checking the engine bay to see if any thing is disconnected
The following users liked this post:
helloha1 (09-11-2014)
Old 08-23-2014, 12:35 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
I just did my oil change 5 mins ago ironically and I cannot think of any vaccum line that's inherently in the way that they would be likely to hit or snap.

It could be sheer coincidence tho that they did the oil change now u have another issue which u are trying to attribute to the oil change which may make it impossible to find.

So I would examine the car once again with an open mind trying not to think about the oil change.

It sounds like a vaccum leak. And most of the lines are around the tb area,but who knows really.

I will say tho if u checked the oil level and it's good, and u do not have an oil pressure light on I would say they likely did not mess anything up. U are probAbly inadvertently accusing them of a problem which was going to occur anyways. It's the timing of the oil change versus how long before the symptom occurred.

It's human instinct to do this so don't feel bad.

But I mean u said u drove the car and all was well. So IMHO they likely are not at fault

I don't think a car can idle at 50-100 rpm and the whole ecu fuse blowing and the cruise control giving u issues. I think u need to focus on that morse so than the oil change.

Last edited by CL-S progression 01; 08-23-2014 at 12:37 PM.
helloha1 (09-11-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 05:24 PM
Eurotrash

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
I think it's a coincidence since you say it ran fine during your errands right after the oil change.

Last year I had a very unnerving double ignition coil failure 8 miles after filling up the tank, and I was dead set on the gas being bad, including being rude to the poor clerk. But it was just another co-inky-dink....

Check your ignition coils?
helloha1 (09-11-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 05:53 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm definitely in agreement now that it was a coincidence and unrelated to the oil change.

I looked through all the vacuum lines and they were all fine. So decided to just give it a ton of gas to keep the idle up and just drive it to a trusted shop and see what was up. About halfway there, the car fixed itself and started running fine, and ever since then I haven't had any issues at all. Mechanic said that it might have just been a chunk of carbon stuck in the system somewhere that burnt itself out, or related to the super high heat and humidity that we had been having that week. But luckily, looks like this wasn't a real problem after all
Old 09-11-2014, 08:36 PM
Eurotrash

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
See if you find your symptoms here:

Everything there is to know about your Honda/Acura main relay:
How the Main Relay works
When the Main Relay goes bad
Old 09-12-2014, 07:35 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
only put in name brand premium gasoline.. from a gas station that is not decrepid.

they could be an old ass shell in the middle of nowhere and still may have bad gas cause it sits there for so long. i like going to highly populated/used gas stations cause u know the gas is only a week or two old in most cases and that should also help with the quality of the fuel.

like i only fill up at 2 stations in the city for that reason. they are close they are shell and they run out of fuel often lol