CTE Short Shifter/ Maven Shift Knob Installation

Old 08-17-2013, 09:58 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
CTE Short Shifter/ Maven Shift Knob Installation

Just got this from Heel Toe and about to do the installation. It looks a little difficult reading the instructions, especially as you get into removing the cables, attaching/gluing the adapter and what not. Also switching to the weighted Maven countersunk shift knob. Does the stock shift knob just unscrew off the shift lever? I can't seem to find a lock nut under there?

Any tips of advice from those who have done this install? Thanks!
Old 08-19-2013, 09:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 241 Likes on 185 Posts
I have both of those in my car at this point, and have for a while...

What particular portion are you having an issue with?

The most difficult part I thought was putting the shift box back into the console. Putting the spring loaded retainers for the shift cables back into their respective locations was the most difficult part I had.

Popping off the blue cap is easy, I would do it into a box though, because when it pops off, it has quite a bit of energy.
The following users liked this post:
tsxoniner (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 03:54 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by optimusaccord
I have both of those in my car at this point, and have for a while...

What particular portion are you having an issue with?

The most difficult part I thought was putting the shift box back into the console. Putting the spring loaded retainers for the shift cables back into their respective locations was the most difficult part I had.

Popping off the blue cap is easy, I would do it into a box though, because when it pops off, it has quite a bit of energy.
Haven't done the install yet, but descriptions like yours really help me anticipate potential glitches. Reading the instructions and trying to understand the diagrams, it doesn't look like a slam dunk of an installation. The cables don't look easy to work with. Is the blue cap reused? Do you wait until the Locktite is completely set before using the shifter?
Old 08-19-2013, 06:42 PM
ROTAREDOM

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,058 Posts
When I installed mine, I couldnt get the cables to release. You are supposed to turn this spring loaded knob and pull out or something... anyways, I felt like if I pulled any harder it was gunna break. I was able to install the short shifter without disconnecting any cables. It was really hard because the space was impossible to work with, especially getting allen wrenches in there ( but it can be done)

Oh and that blue cap can and will pop off with some force. As I mentioned, I couldn't get the cables to release so I popped off the cap and it got lost in the abyss of the rigid body underneath the vinyl ( Thank God the guy who sold it to me included an extra cap )

Good luck with the install.
tsxoniner (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 09:35 PM
Advanced

Looks like I'm gonna need lots of luck to do this. Any other advice or sharing their experiences would be much appreciated. How does it perform with just the stock bushings? Does anyone make aftermarket bushings they would recommend?
Old 08-20-2013, 09:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 241 Likes on 185 Posts
I took mine all the way out, it wasn't fun, but I did it. I let the loctite set for about 45 minutes before installation.

As far as bushings go, I had a set, but they didn't fit perfectly, it was a weird mixed set, a long time ago. I bent the shift cables, and have since replaced them. That was fun.

I have not changed the bushings since.

Even with the SS and the countersunk knob, I still feel like the lever could be about another .25 or .5 inch shorter and feel better, but oh well.
tsxoniner (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 10:31 PM
Advanced

Thumbs down Bad/wrong instructions

OK, the CTE instructions leave a lot to be desired. Matter of fact, I think these instructions do not even apply to the CU2, maybe an earlier model TSX? The schematics and instructions say you can remove portions of the center console just by pulling on it to detach underlying clips. I tried that with no success. I was only able to remove the center console panel.

I have the factory shop manuals and it shows that center trims, passenger dashboard trim and the climate control unit needs to removed first to access the center and utility pockets. The center pocket is BOLTED in, not clipped in like the instructions show. The center console box has more clips and screws than what the instructions show. They show the gear knob held in with a simple lock nut. Nope nada, it's a spacer assembly that's hooked into the shift lever boot. Who knows about what it will say about the shifter box if/when I finally get in there?! Did I get the wrong instructions from CTE?! I am not looking forward to attempting this installation.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:34 PM
Advanced

OK, did the install this weekend. The instructions included with the kit was for 04-08 TSX, not the CU2 models. Heel Toe has the same instructions on their website and none for our models. I contacted CTE and never heard back from them. Marcus knows about this also, but he hasn't sent me the correct instructions, nor can any be found on the website. If any of you have this kit with the same wrong instructions, you'll need the factory shop manuals to fill in the holes. The only things correct in the the instructions are removing the console shift panel and when you get to the shifter box to install the adapter. Lots of bolts and screws secure the pieces that need to be removed that apparently were only held with clips in the older models. Also more trim pieces need to be removed than shown. It took me all day, but didn't want to hurry it. I have two screws leftover!!!

The weighted shift knob really helps with the shifting, which tends to be a little notchy. I figure as you continue to drive it, your shifting style will change and you'll get smoother with it. Initially you may want to pull harder, but you can bend the cables if you don't take it easy. The recessed knob doesn't use the stock lock nut/washer, you just screw the knob all the way down on the shift lever until it's tight. The boot looks kinda funky as it's crushed down and isn't secured at the top to the new knob. The mod that Skiroy did to his boot, shortening it at the bottom makes it sit up better, which I may do. The stainless steel knob could be like a hot poker in your hand with the car parked outside on a hot day. Do they make shift knob covers for these things?

More driving impressions later. I really like the shorter throw!
Old 08-26-2013, 03:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 109 Posts
It seems I was too late to tell you I have DIY on this
tsxoniner (08-27-2013)
Old 08-26-2013, 03:37 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BaoZZeR
Can you provide the link for future reference? Thanks!
Old 08-26-2013, 06:39 PM
Burning Brakes

search
Old 08-26-2013, 09:36 PM
ROTAREDOM

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,058 Posts
It's not that great anyways lol :P
Old 08-27-2013, 02:45 PM
Advanced

BaoZZer, did you have the correct instructions from CTE for your installation? Did it tell you about removing all the trim pieces or did you figure it out on your own? Mine did not. It also says to remove the center pocket pieces. You were able to remove the shifter box without removing the center pockets pieces? That's a tight working area with the pockets still in place.

After driving it awhile, I really like the shorter throw, but it takes getting used after the longer throw of the stock setup. I actually can hurt my wrist shifting it like the long throw, so I have to relearn the force I use on the shift lever. 6th gear take a little more effort, as I can mistakenly put it into 4th instead. The countersunk knob is a little too low IMO, but I appreciate the extra weight. I may change it out to the Maven's non-countersunk knob, especially if it will allow me to reuse the lock nut/spacer, which will sit the boot up straight and snug under the knob, a nicer finished look.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Made some instructions up cause the ones provided were for an older model car
Old 08-27-2013, 04:17 PM
Advanced

Made some instructions up cause the ones provided were for an older model car
What year is your car, a CU2?
Old 08-28-2013, 10:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Hi there, as mentioned in your email to us I am sure that CT does have instructions for this model and we are working on getting these posted to our site asap. Truth be told I did not realize that the CU2 ones were not there. At any rate we really appreciate the sale and wish that we could have been there sooner to provide support. Case in point, this posting came a couple days before your email to us. We would have loved the opportunity to help you out by getting the right instructions quickly.

Hit us up folks, if you are having difficulty at all with your TSX parts, whether you buy from us or not!