anyone good with subs and amps?

Old 06-30-2014, 02:57 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Agreed. 30.9 volts at the amp connection is way off. Can you take a photo of it connected and measuring?
Old 06-30-2014, 03:34 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ohh okay, i know what your talking about now… thing is, i had the capasitor in before i put the new box in and it almost always read 14 - 14.4 i never really crank it that much to drop the volts but even when i would crank it the cap would normally stay above 14v. i mean i can go and do the test with the multimeter without the cap because i dont even have the cap on right now because i was trying to trouble shoot that out. its a 5 farad cap made by power acoustic. and i didnt notice anything sound difference wise when taking it off or having it on.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:47 PM
Advanced

i can probably do the rca test in a couple days, i have a brand new Monster brand rca cable i can put in too that i had laying around. the rca i have in now is pretty old (ive been using it for about 6 years) but its not a bad quality rca cable. but if im going to do that test then i may as well swap it out.

another thing i could do, when i get the cash i can buy the amp off amazon like i was going to do originally anyway, and if thats not the problem, then return it. the hifonics brutus line of amps are sold through amazon, not a third party seller, and their awesome about returns. my headunit is barely a year old and yes i put it in myself but its not the only one ive ever put in so im pretty sure thats a good working unit. so if your telling me its either one or the other, im pretty confident that the amp is the issue. and from what it looks like ill have the money and probably have the new amp in my hands in about 2 weeks, and you know ill be letting you guys know!
Old 07-11-2014, 05:08 PM
Advanced

okay i got the amp in today. hifonics brx1100.1d and this thing is weak. but yet everyone raves about them??? is something still wrong, i dont get it??? i have to have my sub all the way up on the headunit, i have to have the gain all the way up, and the bass bost on the amp all the way up in order for this thing to even try and rattle my trunk. if i have the setting at what a normal person would have it ( low bost and about 3/4 gain) then it sounds like nothing. i mean it sounds like i have 1 little 8 inch sub???? this is with this new amp the delay seems to be gone which is good, but why do i have to turn it all the way up to get any power and you already know that by doing that it sounds like crap!!!

i was debating the brx1400.1d which is the next more powerfull model but it says everywhere that you should use it with a 2ga wire. and its bad enough im using a long 4ga copper clad aluminum ground.

i really dont know what to do and im about to say screw it and sell all my $hit cause its so aggravating!
Old 07-11-2014, 10:48 PM
Instructor

Hmm... Beginning to wonder if there is a problem with rca outputs of radio or a cabling issue somewhere. You are using the Sub Outputs from the radio I assume. You scraped all the paint off of where you grounded to the body of the car?
Old 07-14-2014, 11:01 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Sorry I missed this. Where is the amp grounded right now? Its time to look at the head unit as the culprit. Get that headphone to rca adapter and use your iPod or phone to play through the amp.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:43 PM
Advanced

so i returned the brx1100 and i got the brx1400. it does have a bit more bump. but something dont sound right, i tried tuning it the best i could and it seems i may need polyfill in my box. its hard to explain but the long and low bass notes sound good. but the higher pitch short notes sound off. like a simple short kick drum for dance music sounds like its muddy or or something. only rap music sounds decent.

i have the amp grounded to the capasitor and then to the battery. the cap hardly ever goes below 14v.

im going to be installing a mountable aux port because the one on my headunit is getting kind of worn (ive been using cd's to test music so i know the old aux is not the sub issue) so i may try that rca test if i decide to go and get that adapter!

this is, if you can describe it, what does subs sound like that is in too small of a box? the alpine r's say they want 1.7cf per sub for a ported box and that most people say they do even better in a bigger box than that. well if my calculations are correct my box is 1.35cf not including the port. and the box i have has a shared port. if i polyfill it should bring it to around 1.65 right give or take? witch is pretty dam near close to perfect.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:24 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Are you saying that the box is around 1.35cf per sub? Or are both subs sharing the 1.35cf? Prefab boxes are usually never optimal for any sub since they tend to be very low on port area with ridiculously high tuning. You can definitely get louder and sound better if you build your own box to the subs requirements.

Its kind of hard to say what the problem may be until you try using the adapter and report back. I find it very odd that you are not dropping below 14 with that amp. I'm assuming you just have a stock battery up front, stock alternator, and nothing in the back.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:30 AM
Instructor

Well, it sounds like that box needs to go. I have an Alpine sub, and you need to meet the specs it calls for. Also, since it is rather easy to try, disconnect the capacitor. They usually do more harm than good...
Old 07-30-2014, 05:35 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope that your amps are installed soon!
Old 08-12-2014, 09:13 AM
Advanced

well, i had someone walk me through the process of tuning my subs. turns out i had my mids and highs set really high so the woofer was not coming through at the level it needed to. once i tuned the subs with all the bass mids and treble turned down then the power of the subs started showing. i still have to have the boost up pretty high tho but it seems to be working fine. and also the box is most likely what is making it sound bad but at lower levels it sounds okay now. but i am so done with messing with this system, if i decide to do anything in the future ill be starting completely fresh! but, thanks so much for all the continued help on this you guys!
Old 08-12-2014, 09:34 AM
Instructor

Important question. Are you using the factory head unit with a line out converter?
Old 08-18-2014, 09:14 AM
Advanced

no, its a jvc aftermarket. i have the model listed on one of the very first posts on the first page.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:36 PM
2nd Gear

amps and subs, get back with me

Originally Posted by RynoSmellsDyno
right now i have:
powerbass ASA1500.1dx
2 alpine type r's (swr-1242d)
wired at 1ohm in a sealed box.
5 farad capacitor
JVC KWR600BTE head unit,
4 gauge 100% copper power and ground.
10 gauge speaker wires

i do not like the sound its putting out. i called alpine and they said its got something to do with the amp and ive called powerbass and they said it sounds to them like im clipping. well thing is that i dont even play my music that loud to the point where its hurting my ears but its just always muddy no matter what i do. and if i turn down the settings, the amp barely puts out anything.

i am just saying screw it and getting a different amp and box. im getting a 1.6cf ported box (alpine type r's do best in or around 1.7) and i am having trouble deciding what amp to get. ive done alot of research on these budget amps so far but id like to get an outsiders perspective. or maby someone with more knowledge of amps can tell me whats best.

basically ive narrowed it down to these amps: (keep in mind this is for 2 type r's that require about 500rms each)

power acoustic rep1-2700d
power acoustic gti-2400d
boss r3400d

and if i want to go really cheap the boss ar2500m or ar3000d

im leaning more towards the boss r3400d but im really not sure what to do or if anyone has some recommendations thats not listed im all ears!
I have several that will greatly improve SQ system available, mine is in 98' TL extremely awesome
Old 09-10-2014, 12:55 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have never been a fan of Jvc ' s headunits. They seem to always have a low rca output voltage. I just took a brand new one less than a month old out of the tl I just bought. I put in my kenwood double din from 2008 and it blew the doors off that jvc when it came to sound quality. I don't think jvc gives enough control to adjust the eq
Old 09-11-2014, 11:06 AM
Instructor

I wish you lived close enough for me to physically see what is going on...
Old 09-24-2014, 01:07 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
So what ended up happening? I had two jl13w3 in my car being pushed by a sundown saz2500d. It was loud. But those subs were being overpowered. I'm not
Sure what I'll do next. Just got my door speakers finished so I will be amping those then deciding what to do for bass. I might just run a couple hw8"s so I don't lose a lot of my trunk again. Either that or a b pillar wall.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:59 AM
8th Gear

...so im not sure if you solved the issue u ran into or not. I also havent read thru all the comments also. But i had somewhat very similar set up as u at first and ran into the same problems also. And honestly after all said and done it was the simplest thing i overlooked. Wiring speakers down to 1ohm. I just never bothered to check bcuz its such an easy thing to do wiring down 1ohm but something anyone can overlook at same time. Hopefully u already figured it out but if not thought id share.