New 13 RDX Drive vs. 07 RDX

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New 13 RDX Drive vs. 07 RDX

I love my 07 RDX for its engine and handling. The turbo is supreme. I love the hydraulic steering. I love the handling in corners. The car is very stiff. A true sport SUV.

From my test drive of the 13, which I was dying to like, I found it not as engaging or sporty, and the steering was a down right deal breaker for me (way too light).

Just wondering, for those who left 1st Gen RDX's to buy a 13, how have you found the change? Thanks.

Nick
Old 12-30-2012, 10:41 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nick, although I'm not a 1st Gen owner, I am a driving enthusiast who's owned higher performance cars (corvette, boxster, etc.), so I'll use that experience as my basis for comparison. The 2013 RDX isn't a sporty SUV - the suspension is smooth and soft, and in hard maneuvering, there's significant lean. It's not a car for hard driving.

But the engine has a lot to offer, with good torque and excellent power across the rpm range. I'd guess that acceleration of the Gen 2 is better than the Gen 1. The 6-sp tranny is a definite improvement, as is the fuel economy (I'm getting 30+ highway). The interior is definitely more dressed up - and the Gen 2 is very comfortable and quiet.

I'm still evaluating the Gen 2 AWD and traction control system - as I haven't yet had a chance to test it in traction-limited conditions, and on hills.

The gen 2 RDX is a different car than the gen 1. Not necessarily worse, however, depending on your needs and expectations. I won't be pushing mine too hard - leaving the hard driving for the true sports cars. The RDX is a fine highway cruiser - and thus far, very good in snow and ice.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:01 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
This is what I noticed as huge differences in the vehicles

So the 13 gains:

6 speed transmission
New HD nav
Power Tailgate
Keyless Entry
Multy View Camera

Loses:

SH-AWD
Hydraulic power steering
Huge lockable console
Old 12-31-2012, 05:06 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Vividsi
This is what I noticed as huge differences in the vehicles

So the 13 gains:

6 speed transmission
New HD nav
Power Tailgate
Keyless Entry
Multy View Camera

Loses:

SH-AWD
Hydraulic power steering
Huge lockable console
I understand what the gains and losses are for options, but I am mainly after driving impressions from 1st to 2nd gen.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:49 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by nicholascanada
I understand what the gains and losses are for options, but I am mainly after driving impressions from 1st to 2nd gen.
Well, if you've done any research whatsoever you would have found that every automotive writer that has tested the new RDX has found it to be nothing like the old RDX. If you are in love with the old one you will probably not like the new one. It's really that simple as it is a completely different vehicle. I drove the old one and hated it but love the new one. So I would imagine that if you love the old one you would probably hate the new one.

Acura changed it for one simple reason...there were not enough people like you that loved the harsh ride, spartan interior and turbo with associated roughness and poor mpg. It was a poor seller as very few people buy SUVs to carve corners and race at stop lights. They decided if they were going to make a business case for the RDX they had to become more mainstream with it to sell a decent amount. The new RDX is selling about two to one versus the sales of the old one so I guess they were right.

Bottom line, you should go for a thorough test drive to compare for yourself as you seem to deem certain attributes as very important to you
The following users liked this post:
hand-filer (12-31-2012)
Old 12-31-2012, 07:43 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 533 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by geocord
Well, if you've done any research whatsoever you would have found that every automotive writer that has tested the new RDX has found it to be nothing like the old RDX. If you are in love with the old one you will probably not like the new one. It's really that simple as it is a completely different vehicle. I drove the old one and hated it but love the new one. So I would imagine that if you love the old one you would probably hate the new one.

Acura changed it for one simple reason...there were not enough people like you that loved the harsh ride, spartan interior and turbo with associated roughness and poor mpg. It was a poor seller as very few people buy SUVs to carve corners and race at stop lights. They decided if they were going to make a business case for the RDX they had to become more mainstream with it to sell a decent amount. The new RDX is selling about two to one versus the sales of the old one so I guess they were right.

Bottom line, you should go for a thorough test drive to compare for yourself as you seem to deem certain attributes as very important to you
Coming from the 2012 RDX to a 2012 TSX has made me realize you don't need an SUV for that fun drive. Sure it was fun but the main reason I loved the RDX is the AWD system. I'm considering purchasing a 2013 RDX w/ Tech because I miss having AWD in bad weather. I still need to test drive one but I've driven a Honda CR-V and it was fine for my every day driving.

Plus, with fuel prices fluctuating so rapidly, I'd rather get better MPG than have fun. I love fun and all but something about spending multiple times at the gas station was getting old.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
nicholascanada....I didn't own the 1st gen RDX but I drove one a few times and it is enough to support what you are saying. No doubt that the 1st gen RDX was built and designed as a fun to drive and nimble little SUV. The engine was torquy and teh steering was crisp and to the enthusiasts, this is what they loved (and I must say that I liked that aspect too). That being said, I was not a huge fan of its mid cycle redesign and was waiting for the FMC before I even considered the RDX again. I am very happy with the improved interior design as its exterior design (although I loved the first 2 years of the 1gen RDX (wheels and front bumper looked great)....That being said, I was hoping that would replace or drastically improve the turbo engine because of its gas sipping qualities so when they released the VCM V6, I was quite happy. I was sad to see they decided to remove the SH-AWD and with the EPS, that is the trend not just with Acura but with every car companies so I knew this was coming. I have had some time to get used to it when I went from my 2006 TSX to the 2009 TSX (and my 2012 TL) so the steering in the 2013 RDX is now familiar territory for me.

Bottom line, Acura had to make changes to reach out to a broader market....at the end of the day, its all about making money and selling to a few enthusiasts is not what recuperates the R&D money put into a vehicle so I knew they would "main stream" the RDX with its FMC given the relatively low sales number (compared to their target values).

Overall, for me, the gains made in its interior space, comfort and its exterior styling outweighs the drawback in losing the SH-AWD which in my case is the ONLY feature that I am really upset about having been excluded from the 2nd Gen RDX.

At the end of the day, you have to make an assesment on what really matters to you, what you can live and can't live without and then decide whether or not the 2013 RDX offers it. If not, then you just need to start looking around for something else. Acura is aware they will lose some loyal RDX owners but for every one they lose, they seem to gain about 3 or 4 judging by the sales number. The bean counters must be DELIGHTED with the way the RDX is selling and that will justify the decision they made about taking the RDX in the direction they did.

I love the new RDX and given some time behind the wheel (not just a test drive) will make you appreciate what this vehicle offers. It took me almost 8 months to REALLY appreciate my current 2012 TL SH-AWD is capable of doing because you need to build the feel of teh vehicle and what it is capable of doing (pushing its limits)...given some time behind the 2013 RDX will give you that same experience, once you get to feel and a grip of the "EPS", its handling limits etc. It will NEVER be as good as the SH-AWD but I would say that you can do 85-90% of what the previous RDX is capable of doing, and allthis while having a much refined drive, improved fuel efficiency and in my opinion, a better looking package.

Hope this helps....and Happy New Year to you and all other Acurazine members!!
Ken1997TL (01-18-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 08:29 PM
not an SUV ...a Big Hatch

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Vividsi
Loses:

...Huge lockable console
Awww suck... i didn't know that... too bad.

But yes, it'll always be apples and oranges.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:08 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
If only there's a RDX Type S.......................
Old 01-07-2013, 07:35 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by nicholascanada
I love my 07 RDX for its engine and handling. The turbo is supreme. I love the hydraulic steering. I love the handling in corners. The car is very stiff. A true sport SUV.

From my test drive of the 13, which I was dying to like, I found it not as engaging or sporty, and the steering was a down right deal breaker for me (way too light).

Just wondering, for those who left 1st Gen RDX's to buy a 13, how have you found the change? Thanks.

Nick
I traded in my 2007 RDX for the 2013 RDX. A day doesn't go by that I don't weep for my 2007....truly the best car that I have ever owned.

The steering on the 2013 is atrocious, zero feedback to my hands, no feel for what car is doing. I could almost drive my 2007 with my eyes closed, now with 2013 I drive like an old lady. Like going from a mouse to a joystick. I went to test drive a BMW X1(one model still has hydraulic steering)....night and day. 2013 steering has worse feel than my 1997 CRV.

I haven't felt a decrease in engine performance compared to the 2007. 2013 engine is much more quiet....don't miss whooshing sound from turbo. I think the 2013 wins here hands down.

The transmission is a dramatically worse on the 2013. At low rpm's it stays in too "high" a gear no doubt to increase mileage. The result is a shuddering/vibration that is quite annoying. This never, ever happened with my 2007.

Suspension of 2013 rides more smoothly on good roads, but strangely it is WORSE than my 2007 on bad roads. I prefer the 2007 suspension. See numerous posts re: "clunking from rear"...

I enjoy the enhanced electronic bells/whistles on the 2013.....except for the heated seats which perform poorly compared to the 2007.

Excessive brake squeal is driving me nuts. Never had brake squeal with my 2007.
BlackDogRDX (01-08-2013)
Old 01-10-2013, 11:45 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
My 2 cents worth. The Gen 2 wasn't meant to be like the Gen 1. So, there will be noticeable differences....some will like the changes, and some will like what the Gen 1 had to offer.

I can say this about the steering. I too....at first...immediately disliked the '13's easy steering. I now admit that after putting quite a few miles behind the wheel, I now am OK with it. I don't "hate it" like I did when I first drove it. I am a car guy and have owned 60 cars/trucks and suv's. Yes, I do prefer hydraulic assisted steering.....but, again, my Gen 2's steering "grew on me" and I now kinda like it.

I also have a '13 TSX. Love the way it steers, rides, handles, etc. But, it's not meant to be an SUV like the Gen 2 RDX.

I have grown to really...really like the RDX. Most everything about it is good. No issues...no brake squealing....that can be typical of disc brakes from time to time, great fuel mileage, and gobs of power when you put your foot down. Quiet...that's subjective I know...but, it's pretty quiet for the price range. Comfortable, roomy, etc. I have an AWD Tech model that I paid under 40K for and I feel it is one of the best vehicles for the money I have ever purchased.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:06 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
My wife has an 11 RDX SHAWD with Tech, and I have a TL SHAWD Tech. I recently had the 11 RDX in for service and had a 13 RDX non Tech as a loaner. I really like the 13, however I wish I could have had the Tech version for a true comparison.

Firstly, I found the 13, had a rather plain gauge package, compared to the 2011. I find the 11 has a colourful gauge package which I prefer. I also found the centre console area plain, but I had the non-tech package. The power was superior with the 13, very smooth. The steering wheel with the 13 is so much better that the 11, as I find the 11 steering wheel cheap, cheap, cheap. The 13 steering wheel is much like my TL's, which I love, only skinnier. The exteripor and interior look is much better in the 2013. I would not take the financial hit to trade my wife's 2011 for a 2013. If I had the choice, that is a 12 or 13, new, I would choose the 13 hands down. I am seriously considering getting an RDX when my TL's lease is up next year, but if the new TL is nicer than the new Accord, I am going to have a hard choice. Fun but difficult decisions.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:49 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I went in to test drive and then maybe buy a 2011 RDX. When I got in the car, my first impression was "ugh, this is a luxury car?" Then drove it and was much more impressed. Loved the handling, and the torque. Still, just did not seem nice enough for the price. Then, a few weeks later, tested the 2013 and was sold. Still great pickup, (which most people use more than hard cornering i would bet), and a real luxury feel. Bought one three days later and still love it. Had it for almost eight months and it has had exactly zero problems.
LMT6690 (02-10-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 09:10 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by eps3
I traded in my 2007 RDX for the 2013 RDX. A day doesn't go by that I don't weep for my 2007....truly the best car that I have ever owned.

The steering on the 2013 is atrocious, zero feedback to my hands, no feel for what car is doing. I could almost drive my 2007 with my eyes closed, now with 2013 I drive like an old lady. Like going from a mouse to a joystick. I went to test drive a BMW X1(one model still has hydraulic steering)....night and day. 2013 steering has worse feel than my 1997 CRV.

I haven't felt a decrease in engine performance compared to the 2007. 2013 engine is much more quiet....don't miss whooshing sound from turbo. I think the 2013 wins here hands down.

The transmission is a dramatically worse on the 2013. At low rpm's it stays in too "high" a gear no doubt to increase mileage. The result is a shuddering/vibration that is quite annoying. This never, ever happened with my 2007.

Suspension of 2013 rides more smoothly on good roads, but strangely it is WORSE than my 2007 on bad roads. I prefer the 2007 suspension. See numerous posts re: "clunking from rear"...

I enjoy the enhanced electronic bells/whistles on the 2013.....except for the heated seats which perform poorly compared to the 2007.

Excessive brake squeal is driving me nuts. Never had brake squeal with my 2007.

Got to disagree on a few points.. the 2013 is far more refined (esp the engine) vs the 4 cyl Gen 1. Performance is also better on the Gen 2 when you have to hammer it. It is faster. The Gen 2 gets much better gas mileage.. 5 mpg better highway, 27 vs 22? Big diff.

Agreed on the steering.. but it's not like the 2013 is horrendous steering. The shuddering or occasionally vibration (which is very minor) is not the transmission, it's the VCM, 3/4/6 cylinder mode. This is well documented in the Pilot/Oddy. I think Acura did a pretty good job with it. The 6spd auto is better built and will last longer then the 5spd in the GEN 1..
Old 01-18-2013, 09:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mikey Dallas
I went in to test drive and then maybe buy a 2011 RDX. When I got in the car, my first impression was "ugh, this is a luxury car?" Then drove it and was much more impressed. Loved the handling, and the torque. Still, just did not seem nice enough for the price. Then, a few weeks later, tested the 2013 and was sold. Still great pickup, (which most people use more than hard cornering i would bet), and a real luxury feel. Bought one three days later and still love it. Had it for almost eight months and it has had exactly zero problems.
The GEN1 was too CRV like.. they made more of a distinction with the Gen2 vs the CRV it's based on, mainly in the nice V6.. huge improvement over the CRV 4cyl or poor fuel economy 4cyl turbo of the Gen 1 RDX.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:07 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
I had 2 x 1st gens and hated both. The suspension is stupid stiff...unbearable, uncomfortable . Once they do a minor facelift to the 2013 Rdx perhaps for 2015 model ( I'm hoping for led tails and some funky led drls )....I will grab one.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:08 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The gen 2 RDX isn`t meant to be a direct replacement for the gen 1 RDX. The main reason for this, I think, was because there are many people who would like an MDX, but would like it in a smaller size overall.

I have driven both gen 1 and gen 2 as well, and definitely the gen 1 was a lot of fun to drive, but fuel economy was atrocious. The gen 2 RDX has a much wider mass market appeal, and it shows.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:52 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the 2007 and 2010 RDX both with the tech package. Other than missing the super handling, I like my 2013 RDX better. I love the power tailgate and the much quieter ride. Fuel economy is better. The steering feels different but once you get used to it, it is not a big deal. Overall, I am happy with my new car.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:28 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I couldnt contemplate buying a 2013 after a test drive. Not only is it overpriced for what you get, it under-serves Acura customers. Ive been missing from the board for a while, but I bet there may be a few threads comparing current Acuras to the unbelievable content Honda has released IN honda products, especially the Accord. I think the RDX is way behind, and its a brand new car. If they brought it up to Accord-level features & content, and left the price alone, maybe, but an RDX AWD or AWD Tech is in no way worth dumping the 1st gen for - imo, of course.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:30 PM
big shot.

oh, and, the 1st gen absolutely destroys the 2nd gen in driving experience. This is of course common knowledge, though.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
I already have super handling in my other vehicle. It wasn't a priority for a daily driver. Utility, fuel economy and comfort were.
Props to Acura for finally figuring it out.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:32 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikey Dallas
Mikey, I'm glad to hear in your 8 months driving the 2013 RDX you've had no problems. I pick up my 2013 RDX on this Friday so it's reassuring to hear that. I also own a 2013 Mazda CX-5 which has a very sporty feel and fun to drive. I have to say when I test drove the 2013 RDX there was no comparison...the RDX has a luxurious smooth feel and nicely designed. It seems like a much more solid vehicle and as much as I love the CX-5 it has some rattle issues. That doesn't bother my daughter she wants it. I hope my experience is as good as you have had so far.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:51 AM
Suzuka Master

LMT6690...Let me add my name to the list of happy customer. I have had the RDX since May and enjoy every single minute of it. Sure, there a few minor little issues but nothing to take away from the very positive experience of owning this vehicle....If I had to do it all over again, I would not hesitate to go back to the 2013 RDX at all!

I know that some 1st gen owners find that the handling is not as crisp as the 2nd gen but trust me, the RDX is a very capable vehicle. Because it feels different does not mean it can't handle as well, it just take some time to get used to the feel of the steering, once you do, you will realize that this RDX is a very capable and refined CUV.

Best of luck and we look forward to seeing the pics. What color did you go with btw??
LMT6690 (02-11-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 05:18 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by weather
LMT6690...Let me add my name to the list of happy customer. I have had the RDX since May and enjoy every single minute of it. Sure, there a few minor little issues but nothing to take away from the very positive experience of owning this vehicle....If I had to do it all over again, I would not hesitate to go back to the 2013 RDX at all!

I know that some 1st gen owners find that the handling is not as crisp as the 2nd gen but trust me, the RDX is a very capable vehicle. Because it feels different does not mean it can't handle as well, it just take some time to get used to the feel of the steering, once you do, you will realize that this RDX is a very capable and refined CUV.

Best of luck and we look forward to seeing the pics. What color did you go with btw??
Thanks weather, it really makes me feel great about picking up my 2013 RDX with tech Basque Red color on Friday. I have owned Hondas over the years including a CRV but I'm a first time Acura buyer (lease). I have looked at other SUV's and did a lot of research. IMO the RDX fit perfectly my needs...love the new styling, engine power, 8" HD Nav screen, beautiful leather seats, passenger seat (wish it had height adj. for 5 ft. Passenger), awesome 5.1 sound system (I have some DVD-A and DTS CD's), fit and finish.
I will definitely post pics when I get it. Not sure how to do that because I'm new to this forum...will try and figure it out.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:29 PM
Suzuka Master

LMT6690...Glad that I was able to help re-assure you that you made a good decision Going from a CRV to the RDX will be an improvement, especially in the engine refinement and smooth acceleration while have quite amazing fuel economy for that size HP.

You did a great decision of the color, a member here who lives close to where I live, Mikejmack has the same color and his looks amazing! He had the accessory wheels (during the summer months) and it looks really sharp. You will find some of his photos but let me apologize in advance...in one of his photo, you will see a rogue dandelion in the background but luckily for you, I told him to take care of it and hopefully, he will not let it happen again Don't let the dandelion debacle take away from the enjoyment of looking at his pictures ... It will be like car porn for you

As far as how to pist your pics, most of us use "photobucket" which is an image hosting website....you just upload your pics there and then, there is an option there where you can copy and paste the link directly here. Once you have any photos, if you run into any problems, let me know and I can help you by giving you step by step procedure....
Old 02-11-2013, 07:00 PM
10th Gear

Hey weather...thanks again for all your help! Can't wait until Friday!!!
Old 02-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
you will see a rogue dandelion in the background but luckily for you, I told him to take care of it and hopefully, he will not let it happen again.
Lol ... Next time I'll photoshop them out.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^ Much appreciated my friend....much appreciated
Old 02-11-2013, 08:51 PM
10th Gear

Hi mikejmack...I checked out your RDX pics. Awesome shots! I'm getting mine on Friday in the same color. Absolutely georgous and love your wheels!!!
mikejmack (02-23-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I also like my RDX better than my MDX...had an 02 and an 07....
Old 02-11-2013, 10:24 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MMike1981
oh, and, the 1st gen absolutely destroys the 2nd gen in driving experience. This is of course common knowledge, though.
Can't let this comment go without responding....'common knowledge' indicates a preponderance of opinion, and would love to hear your empirical evidence. What if, say, some - or many - of us '13 owners prefer quietness, vastly better economy, and luxury??? Need I add a smoother engine and more room???

To each his own, but don't make wild claims advertised as majority opinion without justification or proof.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:31 AM
big shot.

Originally Posted by Stump
Can't let this comment go without responding....'common knowledge' indicates a preponderance of opinion, and would love to hear your empirical evidence. What if, say, some - or many - of us '13 owners prefer quietness, vastly better economy, and luxury??? Need I add a smoother engine and more room???

To each his own, but don't make wild claims advertised as majority opinion without justification or proof.
im sorry. i should have written performance and handling. as for luxury, i dont quite think Acura offers real luxury with the 2013, either. Upgraded cabin? Yes. Luxury? not really, leather appointed and appealing, sure.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stump

Agreed. The first generation in my opinion was much less refined than the 2nd generation.. stiff/rough suspension and annoying 4cylinder.. Don't equate to a luxury experience. The 2nd generation better meets the expectation of a luxury or near luxury vehicle. The new RDX doesn't feel like a luxury car either, but is a nice step over a leather CRV.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:05 PM
Instructor

im sorry. i should have written performance and handling. as for luxury, i dont quite think Acura offers real luxury with the 2013, either. Upgraded cabin? Yes. Luxury? not really, leather appointed and appealing, sure.
Performance? The new 2nd generation has better performance and better gas mileage. 2nd gen V6 is faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile vs the turbo 4cyl RDX. The first generation RDX feels crude in comparison to the 2nd gen V6 RDX.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:48 PM
big shot.

Hm, so you call the 2013 RDX a better performer than the 1st gen. Wow. All performance is not measured in a straight line. I would say as far as steering, firmness, body roll, cornering, road feel, and lat g, just to name a few, are far superior in Gen 1. The gen 1 had character and it never held itself out to be anything other than an aspiring performer to smash what was the then-best performer, the X3. The 2007 RDX was incredible in its purest form (before they started screwing with the suspension feel). Times have changed, but when I think 'performance', im surely not thinking MPG. Thats what the Gen 2 is for, the cheaper Lex RX shopper.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
Hm, so you call the 2013 RDX a better performer than the 1st gen. Wow. All performance is not measured in a straight line. I would say as far as steering, firmness, body roll, cornering, road feel, and lat g, just to name a few, are far superior in Gen 1. The gen 1 had character and it never held itself out to be anything other than an aspiring performer to smash what was the then-best performer, the X3. The 2007 RDX was incredible in its purest form (before they started screwing with the suspension feel). Times have changed, but when I think 'performance', im surely not thinking MPG. Thats what the Gen 2 is for, the cheaper Lex RX shopper.
The Gen 2 is for people who don't appreciate a vehicle with suspension compliance similar to that of a garage floor creeper.
You can argue the merits of the gen 1 all you want but no one here really cares.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:40 PM
Racer

Nobody that praises the new RDX has ever said that 1stgen didn't carve curves better. It's just that is about all it did better. That is not what 2ndgen buyers bought it for. So for you the 1stgen is a better performer according to your metrics. For us 2ndgen buyers the new RDX is much better performer because it rides better, is quieter, has more room, is faster in straight line, has a more refined engine and gets much better gas mileage. If all you are looking for is a boy racer vehicle why would you even be considering a CUV in the first place? Just about any sporty car will handle better than the 1stgen RDX.

I don't believe the new RDX is trying to be anything other than what it is either. I don't think Acura is marketing as a race car in CUV disguise. The two are just different and marketed to different types of customers OBVIOUSLY. It's too bad Acura doesn't have the vehicle that you dream of anymore. But on the plus side, I bet you can still find some brand spanking new 2012s still on dealers lots as they didn't sell worth a darn.
The following 3 users liked this post by geocord:
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (02-22-2013), GarrettinSF (02-22-2013), rdxm (02-21-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 12:49 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by geocord
Nobody that praises the new RDX has ever said that 1stgen didn't carve curves better. It's just that is about all it did better. That is not what 2ndgen buyers bought it for. So for you the 1stgen is a better performer according to your metrics. For us 2ndgen buyers the new RDX is much better performer because it rides better, is quieter, has more room, is faster in straight line, has a more refined engine and gets much better gas mileage. If all you are looking for is a boy racer vehicle why would you even be considering a CUV in the first place? Just about any sporty car will handle better than the 1stgen RDX.

I don't believe the new RDX is trying to be anything other than what it is either. I don't think Acura is marketing as a race car in CUV disguise. The two are just different and marketed to different types of customers OBVIOUSLY. It's too bad Acura doesn't have the vehicle that you dream of anymore. But on the plus side, I bet you can still find some brand spanking new 2012s still on dealers lots as they didn't sell worth a darn.
About as well written as anyone could do!! This says it with common sense, clarity, and exactly the way I would have said it...if I had thought of it first!!! LOL!!

Some of us get caught up in the "comparison game" and I have fallen into that trap. You said it best. Other than the "name RDX"....it's comparing apples to oranges. Period...'nuff said...over and out!!
geocord (02-22-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 01:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
About as well written as anyone could do!! This says it with common sense, clarity, and exactly the way I would have said it...if I had thought of it first!!! LOL!!

Some of us get caught up in the "comparison game" and I have fallen into that trap. You said it best. Other than the "name RDX"....it's comparing apples to oranges. Period...'nuff said...over and out!!
Roger that. Must be the former AF in me as well!
Old 02-22-2013, 01:24 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by hand-filer
The Gen 2 is for people who don't appreciate a vehicle with suspension compliance similar to that of a garage floor creeper.
You can argue the merits of the gen 1 all you want but no one here really cares.
Exactly...we don't care...not that we...or most of us that are real car guys/gals....don't truly "care"....it's just comparing apples to oranges. Acura tried to make a "boy racer" out of the Gen 1. Did a pretty good job. It was aimed at a different demographic. They sold poorly!! Those that bought them pretty much liked/loved them. Great for them. Sorry, but, a "business decision" was made by Honda Motor Corp./Acura Div. If we keep the "smaller type of SUV in a luxury version per se of the CRV...it must appeal to a broader market and thus the sales numbers need to be higher. They did, they are....success!! Gen 2's have outsold Gen 1 by pretty much at least 2 to 1.

Each version is great in their own way. It's just that as a business the Gen 2 RDX SUV is much more successful. They are NOT the same vehicle other than in name.
Wasn't meant to be. That's the point. So, what's the point of "comparing" the two Generations of the RDX???!!!! They are Acuras....with the name on the rear that says "RDX"....that's about it folks. Everything was changed. They are not the same vehicle for a reason. NOT because the Gen 1 wasn't a good one...it JUST DIDN'T SELL NEAR ENOUGH TO SATISFY THE BEAN COUNTERS!! And I don't blame them.

It follows the Japanese way of doing business called; Kaizen -- changing for the better or Constant Improvement. It's a constant theme during the entire process of manufacturing anything. Always looking at what can be done better....not waiting years like American manufacturers do....."Oh, we've been making the same car for 5 yrs...I guess it's time to take a look and see if we can make it better." The Corvette is just now coming out with it's 7th version of this vehicle since...1953!!!!! That's 60 yrs of a brand..just now being restyled for only the 7th time. That's an average of just over 8.5 yrs per design. Due out late summer.

Yes, Honda/Acura has been making vehicles that were of the same "generation" but, were improved each year......example CRV's. Now Honda Motor Corp. is even making changes early in a car's "generation" IF there are "issues" such as the Civic....and I hear they are already talking about making early "corrections" to the ILX. People/buyers are not happy with the 2.0 engine. They love the 2.4 which is the engine in the Civic Si, and in my TSX. It's just they can only get it with a 6-speed manual. MOST buyers don't opt for that combo.

The "issues" that us owners of Gen 2 RDX's will be, are being looked at, and we'll see the improvements some of us are seeking.

Always remember....there are no perfect vehicles.....period. For me....the "plus" list has to be much longer than the "negative" list. Thus my purchase of a '13 RDX has never been a mistake. This is the first vehicle that I believe my wife REALLY loves...each and every day. When I "get to drive it" from time to time, I am reminded of why I bought it. It's just a great vehicle for the money spent.

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 02-22-2013 at 01:29 PM.

Quick Reply: New 13 RDX Drive vs. 07 RDX