Replacing tail-light bulbs...

Old 10-25-2010, 01:58 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Replacing tail-light bulbs...

is this pretty easy to do? one of my break lights is out, and the stealership wants $35 to replace it...
Old 10-25-2010, 02:51 PM
'That's what she said!'

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Wow $35?? What the hell is wrong with those people ..... Anyways, it's NOT hard at all to change the tail light bulbs. I bought both bulbs for about $10 at Pepboys and it took me literally like 2 mins to change them.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:55 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yup super easy, if you look where the lights should be theres is a plastic door remove it and it will allow you access to the lights, just figure out which one would be the brake light twist it to release it and pull it out and change the light..no longer than a 2 min job..
Old 10-27-2010, 07:28 AM
Still Lovin my 06

thanks donlad. that's what i figured. i had a cracked tailight a a year ago, and you had to remove the bumper to replace the entire thing. was hoping it wasn't some funky shizzle like that.

great to know. will be picking up a new map light and tail light and replacing both myself (they actually wanted $35 EACH!).
Old 10-27-2010, 01:03 PM
10th Gear

thats why they're known as the stealership! hahah
Old 01-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Still Lovin my 06

doh - lessons learned.

1. the light that flashes when you unlock the doors and the reverse light are the same bulb. the break light is different. wish advanced auto parts knew that when i explained what i needed.
2. i didn't realize there was the plastic panel that you just take off by hand, and thought i needed to take off the black plastic on the side of the tail light casing (actually is part of the tail light) and i cracked a small piece of it.

either way, if the dealership was gonna charge $35 per, i still saved $70 (the store didn't have the map light either so waiting to replace that one).

3. stupid screw on the trunk liner fell out of my hand in the driveway - no idea where it is, but doesn't seem that important. but...my anal retentiveness requires me to ask - how could i get a replacement?
Old 01-19-2011, 09:36 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
^^the lights that flash when you unlock are not the same as the reverse. The parking/tails/tags are way smaller 194 bulbs, and the reverse is 7440. Btw, brake light is 7443 (except for high-mount = 7440 again)... just so you know for future reference.

Oh, and $35 for that?! Tsss
Old 12-20-2011, 12:59 AM
2nd Gear

Exclamation IMPORTANT - bulb install direction = even light output

Just noticed this right now on my car. Bulb direction/install matters a lot, for even lighting! Fixed it right up like so:

FACT: These are dual-filiment bulbs. (17 in the diagram) So they have 2 'spring things' that light up inside the bulb (filiments). One FAT (strong/stop) on a straight wire pair, closer to the base, and one THIN (night/on) spring toward the head of the bulb on a curved wire pair. Take a look at the photo closely, and your bulbs too.

http://tinyurl.com/6m6hn6o

1. In order to get EVEN lgiht output, you have to make sure that when your lights are on (Night time, headlights and all) the THIN filiments inside the bulb light up on all 4 rear lights. These are a bit weaker, for constant night light.

2. When you press the brake, the FAT filiment should light up, brighter/intense during braking. (I used a brick to hold the brake down when I checked the rear lights. (Have your headlights off for this, helps to see)

Make sure that the straight pair FAT filiment inside the bulb face the same way as the click-thing in the bulb-mount (6 on diagram).

http://tinyurl.com/7cjhtz2

To test, follow the above... Dont just pop them in and hope it lights up even, the lights look soooo much more evenly lit when you do this. Sorry for my hectic description. Hope this helps.

$35? these are $4.95 bulbs Long Life from SYLVANIA has the LL after the model number.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Due to the mounting fixture the lamps cannot be seated any other way except with the filaments vertical. It may be a little awkward trying to fit the lamp assembly into the housing but keep working at it until it seats correctly.

When it is seated correctly can look at the lamp from the outside of the lens and confirm that the filament is vertical. This helps extend the lamp because forces from going over bumps, etc will not damage the filament as much.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:16 PM
2nd Gear

Wink Which filiment is for what function?

Yep, noticed that too Mskierki, all filiments are vertical when installed. In every bulb across the back.

I was just bringing up the issue of one filiment lighting up inside the lamp versus the other, depending on use (on/braking)
Sorry for my hectic explanation.

I am still not sure if the THIN filiment is for 'stop' and the FAT filiment is for 'on/night' mode. Which one in your opinion would be better fitting for the task?

Because by its possible to seat the bulb one way or the other (4 contacts there)

I have an RSX so it may look different.

Can someone please check which filiment lights up when you hit the brakes (THIN or FAT) in side the bulbs?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:45 PM
4th Gear

tail light fell

so my bulb fell off the bracket and is sitting there. How can I take the bulb out or do I have to take apart the whole tail light? What a nuisance if I do?
Old 02-26-2012, 10:16 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Noelsolrac
so my bulb fell off the bracket and is sitting there. How can I take the bulb out or do I have to take apart the whole tail light? What a nuisance if I do?
Honestly? I'd get something stiff but flexible. Put something sticky on the end and try and pull it up that way. Otherwise you're going to have to take the housing off unless you can move the car around to shake the bulb out