DIY: Installed a digital dash cam onto the car, aka DVR

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 01:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
There is an even cheaper version with less info and no reviews that looks like it might be the same unit
http://dx.com/p/1-3-mp-wide-angle-di...-2-5-lcd-57103

But hey, $32 shipped for a DVR.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:09 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Originally Posted by boosteds2kay
On the website it says it can be ran on battery for over an hour with IR on. with IR off it can be ran for almost 2 hours.

What i can confirm is, there is a removable battery, and i can pull it off the mount and do playback/record with it unplugged.
Makes sense...

I just want to be able to take a video of my exhaust
Old 05-02-2013, 02:27 PM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vietkid_2006
Well... I did get hit sadly and caught it on camera...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsLZ4...ature=youtu.be
This is an excellent example why DVR is a must have item. Otherwise she could easily tell that you rear ended her and the whole situation would have been much worse.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:30 PM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

Originally Posted by boosteds2kay
Were you watching in hd720? standard resolution does not have the clarity at all for you to review the light. I have it wired with the harness that they sell at the site to the fuse box, I picked a fuse that is constantly 12v. Since i drive my car everyday, i haven't had any issues with it draining the battery.
Yes, this was recorder at 720p. SD DVRs have very bad recording quality.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:32 PM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

Originally Posted by geekybiker
There is an even cheaper version with less info and no reviews that looks like it might be the same unit
http://dx.com/p/1-3-mp-wide-angle-di...-2-5-lcd-57103

But hey, $32 shipped for a DVR.
It only looks similar it has no HD recording. Those Chinese DVRs often look the same outside, but are completely different inside. Lack of HDMI connector is a tell tale sign of junk.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gt1
It only looks similar it has no HD recording. Those Chinese DVRs often look the same outside, but are completely different inside. Lack of HDMI connector is a tell tale sign of junk.
'1280x960 30fps' aka better than 720p. Which is what the other one claims. You're right that the $32 one appears to lose the HDMI. I guess you'll have to decide how much risk you want to take. The more expensive one appears identical to the OP near as I can tell. Given how often cheaper electronics are just relabels of the same product with chinese origin I wouldn't be surprised if they're off the same line.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:59 AM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

1280х960 is just 640x480 interpolated. Pure crap. They are not identical. Note the empty HDMI connector. They are completely different inside.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gt1
1280х960 is just 640x480 interpolated. Pure crap. They are not identical. Note the empty HDMI connector. They are completely different inside.
Yes. If you read what I wrote, you'll see there are two versions on the site. The $32 one missing the hdmi and recording in sxga. If you know its interpolated for sure clearly you have more detailed technical documents. Might be a good guess.

In any case there is a second version here-
http://dx.com/p/h-264-720p-wide-angl...-2-5-lcd-54137

Its the first one I posted. It has the HDMI, lists 720P, and has 61 5 star reviews. This is the one that likely has the same innards as the one the OP purchased. Yes, you have to be careful, but It still completely true about all the rebranding stuff.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:08 PM
6th Gear

awesome man! thanks I need this bad! subscribed!
Old 05-17-2013, 09:38 AM
Deezy ™

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts
Nice!

I might actually be interested in doing this at some point.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Does the power magic pro only work with blacvue or you can use any dash cam?
Old 06-25-2013, 11:46 PM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by pnoyrice
Does the power magic pro only work with blacvue or you can use any dash cam?
I don't see why it wouldn't work with other dash cams, it has 2 wires one for power and one for ground, and the other end is a cigarette lighter plug, so as long as your other dash cam has a cig adapter you could use it.. i guess you could also splice the cig lighter wires and use it however you want..

you should check the power ratings and stuff too probably for the camera you're trying to use with it but like i said i don't see why not
Old 06-25-2013, 11:59 PM

^^^ THIS

its a simple unit which connects to power and ground and shuts power off depending on how you configure it....

output is to a cigarette lighter plug
Old 06-26-2013, 02:26 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
I just picked up a DVR 207 and a 32 GB card for a total of about $100 ($70 for the camera, $30 for the card, free shipping) from a place in New York called Spy Tec. FAST shipping. Ordered it Tuesday of last week (June 18) and it came on Thursday via US Mail. For free shipping, that's great. Thing is very easy to use. I have yet to run the power cord around the windshield frame, though. I've gotten about two hours of battery life without the cord.

First day I used it, I found this doofus in front of me. How do you not know your door is doing that? (Click to play and watch the Camry in the right lane.)

Edited: The thumbnail link to the video wasn't working, so here's a text link: http://s31.photobucket.com/user/1995...8893d.mp4.html
Old 06-26-2013, 02:36 PM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

Originally Posted by Will1688
I don't see why it wouldn't work with other dash cams, it has 2 wires one for power and one for ground, and the other end is a cigarette lighter plug, so as long as your other dash cam has a cig adapter you could use it.. i guess you could also splice the cig lighter wires and use it however you want..

you should check the power ratings and stuff too probably for the camera you're trying to use with it but like i said i don't see why not
Some dashcams have a problem. When you turn on the ignition dashcam is powered up, but the power is interrupted during crank. If the dashcam didn't have time to fully boot before the crank it may shutdown.
Most of the dashcmas don't suffer from this issue and don't need this unit, unless you want to run the dashcam while parked.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 1995hoo
Spy Tec.
You can also pick up the real DVR 207 from spy tec through amazon:
RuiLinXin DVR207 HD720P IR Car Vehicle Dash Camera DVR Rotable 270 DegreeMonitor : Amazon.com : Automotive RuiLinXin DVR207 HD720P IR Car Vehicle Dash Camera DVR Rotable 270 DegreeMonitor : Amazon.com : Automotive

After reading another thread on AZ involving dash cams, I am considering buying one myself. I want to figure out a way to hardwire it without using the cig lighter adapter. Looks like I can find a 12v to 5v converter. For anyone who has bought an additional female cigarette lighter adapter for hardwiring, is it safe to use behind closed paneling? Usually car chargers (same type of device) gets hot/warm when in use. When they are in open view and user for a short period of time, it's fine, but the cam would be plugged in all the time. I do plan to use an accessory power circuit for this though.

example of additional female cigarette lighter adapter:

more info on this DVR 207 model: http://dashcamtalk.com/dvr-207/
Old 08-09-2013, 05:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts
Alright, I just installed mine this morning, I havent hardwired it yet but I got it in temporarily. The picture is great, I havent got any night vids yet but the day video is great quality. This one is not the knockoff version, I guess I could have got it cheaper somewhere else but its too late now. I am going to buy the power magic pro and wire my tablet and this camera to it next. I also want to find a better mounting bracket so it doesnt hang so low
Old 08-10-2013, 11:39 AM

I attach the suction cup behind the rearview. Haven't stuffed the wire into the headliner yet, though; I just let it dangle. When I'm parked in public, I generally unplug the wire from the camera; in the garage at home, I unplug it from the lighter plug. Depending on where I am I may also remove the camera from the windshield. It's not the most noticeable thing in there. I keep waiting for a Virginia cop to pull me over under suspicion of using a radar detector.

Pretty good image. Click thumbnail to play video. The nice loud TL horn often makes an appearance in videos I save! (Notice the lane I'm using after I change lanes is marked left turn only.)

Name:  th_GuygoesstraightfromleftturnlaneinFairfaxcutsoffminivanturningleft_zps7e86eb0c.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  14.0 KB

This second video contains a number of profanities as I yell at a stupid driver, so don't click it if you're at work or if profanities bother you. Note the taxi that cuts the U-turn was behind me and got over due to the idiot.

Name:  th_GuygoesstraightfromleftturnlaneonPickettStreet_zps3fb3aab7.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  14.0 KB

Last edited by 1995hoo; 08-10-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:38 PM
Make MyTL Great Again

My DVR 207 is on it's way according to Amazon so hopefully I will be hardwiring it soon. I bought a 12v to 5v step down module, ordered an extra cig power adapter from estore009 on ebay for 7 bucks so that I will have a long cable and the right size plug.

So my plan is to:
- use a new 'add-a-fuse' (or an existing 'add-a-fuse' power tap that I put it for my radar detector)
- wire that to that to the 12v >> 5v module
- hook the cut cord from the cig power adapter to the 5v side of the adapter
Old 08-17-2013, 09:35 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Caught a wreck with mine today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6ov0...ature=youtu.be

Yes it is mounted behind the tint on the front window. Still a good picture.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:16 AM

WOW....the cam cant see anything....you want it to catch the license plate and stuff incase someone backs into ya....

i suggest moving it lower....
Old 08-27-2013, 04:12 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by gt1
Man, your install is way too complicated!
I bought a 5v converter for $5, hid it behind the front ceiling panel (the one with lights, sunroof switch, garage opener) and connected 12V wires to the mirror wiring. This way I have an ignition switched power supply.
converter: DC DC Converter Buck Module 12V to 5V 3A 15W 5V Mini USB Output Power Adapter | eBay
They only potential problem is that some of those DVRs have non-standard USB jack pinout.
Can you remember what the color code for the + and - wiring is ?...I'm not sure which are the mirror power cables....
Thanks
Old 09-04-2013, 04:29 PM
Make MyTL Great Again

what is everyone using for a camera mount?

I'm not happy with the one that comes with the DVR207. Yes it is sturdy / the camera doesn't shake...but it's so far away from the windshield. I want to be able to mount the lens close to the window, and put it behind my rear view, just below the standard tint line. I am having a hard time finding something that will work for me that is strong enough not to shake the camera, but at the same time not be too bulky that I cna't get my positioning.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:23 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
I have the exact same camera the OP has and it is GREAT!! IIRC the model number is DVR027. I'm not 100% sure. I've had it for a year now and I am happy with it considering the really little price I paid for it. These cameras are very popular in Russia as well (I'm sure you guys have seen all the YouTube dashcam vids). I did a lot of research before buying and realized a few things:

1) There are a LOT of copycats. Be careful because the housings may look very similar even identical, but the camera is totally different. So you won't be getting HD recording in all of them. You need this EXACT model because the quality in video is dramatically different even if it is labelled with all the "specs". The specs don't mean much. They lie, exaggerate or just copy the competitors box even, lol. This model has outstanding quality both daytime and nightime at it's pricepoint. Sure it's no GoPro but this is all you need for a dashcam.

2)The quality/durability/workmanship SUCKS on any of these cameras. I already knew that. Going in I had no expectations. Made of cheap plastic, loose buttons with LEDs that work sometimes and other times not. It has a decent suction mount that actually works but it is obvious over time it WILL start to wear down and make the camera unstable. Mine is still fine. You gotta be careful and delicate with it. Can't be rough. Realistically I don't see this camera lasting more than 3-4yrs.

About 3 months in my camera stopped working. I wasn't surprised. I thought it was power supply, took it down, tested it....no dice. Couldn't figure it out. I planned on returning it on warranty before it was up (I think it has a 6 month warranty?) Then about 1wk later it spontaneously started working on it's own again. Ever since this unit has gone through a couple of these spells. For the last 3 months it's been working perfectly fine. Go figure. My SD card did get corrupted last week. I reformatted it and all is well again. Night vision is a joke and does very little unless something is RIGHT in front of the camera. Luckily the camera works very well at night without the need of "IR" nonsense. By the way my "motion detector" function does NOT work. It never did. I didn't care because I thought it wasn't a real feature anyways. Since the OP says it DOES work, I should look into this.

3) Prices vary wildly. I saw it going for $100+ too. I hate to be a jerk but honestly I paid a LOT less than the OP for the same model. I got it for $45 in 2012. I'm sure you can get the same or better now. Yea I didn't get it with a SD card, I just used an old 2GB card I had lying around. SD cards are cheap nowadays.

So again, I say, realize that by buying this unit you get what you pay for and there should be no expectations. Why did I buy it and why do I still say I am happy with it? Because my mentality is "Oh well, it's better than no camera".

Last edited by rockyfeller; 09-13-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:34 PM
King of NYC

By the way I am also gonna "hardwire" this unit. No need to cut wires or put in fuses as mentioned....Do this:

Get a female cigarrette lighter extender. Not the kind shown above, that one may do the job but there is a better way IMO. The one I a going to use is 12', heavy duty wire, cost $8.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-H-D-12-DELUXE-EXTENSION-CORD-POWER-OUTLET-SOCKET-CIGARETTE-LIGHTER-PLUG-/230839745921?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bf1efd81
Run that through the headliner/A pillar down to the center console cigarette lighter and plug in a splitter (I use a 3way) No need to fuse because there are two already in line. One at the male end of the power adapter from the camera and another in the extender.

Last edited by rockyfeller; 09-13-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
I have the exact same camera the OP has and it is GREAT!! IIRC the model number is DVR027. ....
There is both a DVR 027 and a DVR 207. IIRC the 207 is the newer model.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:59 PM
King of NYC

Hmmm possibly. I don't remember that model when I bought it, perhaps it is a newer one. But like I said don't just judge the specs. Plenty of people have posted vids to see for yourself on YouTube. That's how I discovered the DVR027. With trickle down technology's pace there will always be better and cheaper models.

BTW PLEASE don't buy the lighter extender from the EBay vendor I posted above. They sent me one that had totally rusted and is unusable. I'm in a dispute with them now because (no surprise) they won't refund return shipping so they will get negative feedback. It was a good product otherwise. Go for this instead: couple more bucks but comparable quality:
RoadPro RP-203EC 12V 12' Extension Cord with Cigarette Lighter Plug : Amazon.com : Automotive RoadPro RP-203EC 12V 12' Extension Cord with Cigarette Lighter Plug : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 10-15-2013, 10:12 AM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
So... prices have really dropped on the Chinese knock-offs. HD for $20 shipped now, anyone used one of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-Color-IR-DVR-NightVision-Car-Dash-Camera-2-5inch-TFT-LCD-Screen-Road-Recorder-/370897055956?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item565b2ff0d4
Old 10-16-2013, 01:35 PM
King of NYC

Hmm hard to tell if it really is the same one but all visual indications show that DVR027 is exactly the same. It's totally believable that it could come down this cheap because honestly with this level of build quality in Chinese terms, this is all it's really worth. I don't know why they are bragging about the "Zoran" processor, lol. As if it is an Intel chip or something. Anything over $100 is really unfair.

Recently I did search and found that indeed there is a updated version of the DVR027 which looks very slightly different and functionally is the same except it does "gapless" recording. I forgot the model number again, lol. On the DVR027 you have the option of recording in say; 15 minute intervals as separate AVI files. The problem with that though is in the read/write process there is about a 3-5second gap during which there is no recording. The problem with that of course is if that gap comes at an inopportune time. The new model fixes that. I believe the rest of the specs are the same.

Last edited by rockyfeller; 10-16-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:19 PM
Race Director

This thing looks pretty sweet. Nice and compact. Great reviews on Amazon. On sale through 1 May for $87:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA4KN1ER5435
Old 05-10-2014, 12:00 PM
Race Director

^^^ I went ahead and purchased one of those. It's a sweet little dash cam. The HD video is fantastic. I get about 3.5 hours of HD video on the 16GB microSD card that comes with it.

I ordered a hard wire cord to connect it to switched power coming from the overhead console:

http://www.dx.com/p/angle-mini-5-pin...FchFMgodSHMAsw

Highly recommend this dash cam
Old 05-18-2014, 07:15 PM
King of NYC

I saw that cam online a couple months ago and wondered about it. Really seems to have it all at a reasonable price. May be a good choice when my DVR027 conks out.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:24 PM
Race Director

I love it so far. Wish I had bought two at that price, one for the rear window as well...
Old 05-22-2014, 04:35 PM
Race Director

Finally received the step down wire today (ships from China, despite what they say on the website. 9 business days, not bad for intl shipping). Got it wired into the switched mirror circuit in the overhead console. Works great! Sorry for the dirty windshield

Name:  ojocam_zps65cea0d9.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  71.9 KB

P.S. You don't need to see the screen, so I recommend that you mount this so it's totally concealed by the mirror like I did (as viewed from the driver's seat). The blue light is fairly bright at night and it will bother you if it's not blocked by the mirror.

P.S.S. In case you are wondering, above the camera is the antenna for my Clifford and the cable to the right is going to my radar detector. Both the dashcam and radar detector are hardwired to the switched feed in the overhead console.

Last edited by nfnsquared; 05-22-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:39 AM
Race Director

^^^^ Damn, they just came out with the Ojocam Pro 2...

http://www.ojocam.com/ojocam-pro-2-mini-0803-3mp-hd/
Old 07-16-2014, 10:48 AM
Race Director

The Ojocam is on sale again, $87 shipped:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA4KN1ER5435
Old 07-16-2014, 10:55 AM

nfn can you share some test videos?
Old 07-16-2014, 11:07 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by swoosh
nfn can you share some test videos?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...6/AMBA0191.MOV

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...6/AMBA0217.MOV

GPS was disabled intentionally for these test shots.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:08 AM

perfect...work blocks dropbox, so I will check them out later today...
Old 07-21-2014, 05:18 PM
2nd Gear

Hey nfn can you you give me the steps to wire into the overhead console...or any tips on a search i can do to find it? Thanks

Quick Reply: DIY: Installed a digital dash cam onto the car, aka DVR