Acura: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 09:34 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
d-rock says
hmm i dunno where people is gettin the V6 tsx off my list but i never mentioned anything about a tsx V6 cause i know it won't fit thats y i put IMA instead of V6. with IMA i think theres more benefits than the V6 for one it would be AWD drive and it will have loads of torque
Right (sorry); V6 probably wouldn't fit, so best to increase hp and torque in other ways. All in all Acura doing a nice job getting good hp out of their vtec engines.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If Acura wants to build the same brand recognition and identity as Lexus or Infiniti they're going to have to build a large, V8 powered rwd or awd sedan. Otherwise they have little hope of differentiating themselves from Hondas. True you can build a fwd 6 cyl chassis to comparable levels of performance and comfort but most buyers in this class automtically assume rwd & V8 are better, even for a cushy luxo cruiser.

Too bad the NSX costs more than a 911. The NSX may have been a better car, especially when it first debuted, but it doesn't have the cachet of the Porsche brand. I don't what acura was thinking when they priced the car!
Old 10-27-2003, 02:52 PM
yeah,yeah,uh,huh,wh,what

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Acura VP: Acura "confused consumers...and just doesn't have a clear identity"

Originally posted by gavriil

...The combination, Acura hopes, will attract a younger, better-educated and more affluent buyer.
HEY we are young, affluent and educated

I guess he thinks 40 year old highschool drop outs that live with thier moms are driving Acuras.

BTW, my hope: CL in 2006 renamed "Legend Coupe"
Old 10-27-2003, 04:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Re: Acura VP: Acura "confused consumers...and just doesn't have a clear identity"

Originally posted by CL P Diddy
HEY we are young, affluent and educated

I guess he thinks 40 year old highschool drop outs that live with thier moms are driving Acuras.

BTW, my hope: CL in 2006 renamed "Legend Coupe"

Acura will not be going back to the Legend name anytime soon. The alphanumeric is here to stay. If anything it will be alpha only.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:30 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
the new TL...the more I see it, the less I like it.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:56 PM
Work safe avatar bish :D

acura needs a g35 competitor and a new flagship large sedan.
I hope they get their things right with the new RL. If the TL is a sign of their new desing I think they will do great. good luck acura
Old 10-27-2003, 06:16 PM
yeah,yeah,uh,huh,wh,what

Originally posted by 1killercls
the new TL...the more I see it, the less I like it.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:03 AM
Racer

Once-quiet Acura goes for the spotlight

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/03302/234659.stm

Once-quiet Acura goes for the spotlight
by Don Hammonds

Wednesday, October 29, 2003

Until now, Acura has made a reputation in a quiet, convincing way -- on the performance track. Never a company to stand out in styling, Acura always went for the subtle, the understated, in its design statements.

No more.

The 2004 Acura TL takes a dramatic turn for the spotlight with styling and ambiance that makes it pretty emphatic that it now comes down heavily on the performance side of the equation.

TLs have always been understated, elegant sedans with reasonable performance characteristics. But the new TL takes a more muscled approach with a lower-profile, blockier-looking styling cues, and smoother, less sculptured flanks. Overall, it gets a wider, more aggressive stance and look.

To back up that muscular look, the TL features a much bigger engine, a 3.2-liter, 270-horsepower powerplant that should catapult it to the front of the performance race for sports sedans of its size. You will even be able to get a close ratio 6-speed manual transmission on it, with Brembo brakes -- some of the best brakes around.

The innovation behind this car also will be clear once you're behind the wheel. It has the first automotive application of DVD Audio 5.1 surround sound, HandsFree Link wireless phone capability and an XM Satellite radio.

The emphasis on strong performance continues with two other cars, the TSX and the RSX. I've driven both, and I can tell you that they are just about as much driving fun as you're going to find at the price. They both come with high revving engines that seem to want to climb up in performance endlessly, and they corner aggressively as well.

The TSX is designed to compete with the Audi A4, Lexus IS 300 and BMW 328I, and it does so admirably, giving you plenty of driving excitement -- at a price that is much lower than any of those makes. You can get a six-speed manual or five-speed automatic, and the engine is a 200-horsepower, 2.4-liter four cylinder. Perforated leather seats, rack and pinion steering, alloy wheels, vehicle stability assist with traction control and other features round out the package.

Meanwhile, the RSX Sport Coupe, another hot, affordable performer, gets new colors and heated side view mirrors for 2004. There are two versions of this car, a 160-horsepower RSX and a 200-horsepower RSX Type-S. Other equipment includes an automatic climate control system, five-speed manual or sequential five-speed automatic transmission on the RSX, and a six-speed manual on the Type-S.

The 3.5 RL sedan is Acura's super luxury model, and it's been substantially updated for the 2004 model year. Changes include an Acura Navigation System with voice recognition, chrome interior accents, wood pattern shifter knob, driver's seat power lumbar support and an XM Satellite radio, all standard equipment.

The Acura MDX is roomy, elegant and understated, and as I found out during a snowstorm, quite capable of getting you where you need to go safely. Mine just plowed right on through while everyone around me was stuck.

For 2004, the MDX has more horsepower -- 265 -- and redesigned front fascia, taillights, rear wing spoiler and chin spoiler. There are some new colors, too -- Aspen Pearl White and Burnished Bronze Metallic. A power lumbar support on the driver's seat, brushed metal on the center stack, a better Acura/Bose music system, leather armrests., auto-on/off headlights, ambient foot lights and welcome illumination and more functionality to the second-row seat are all part of the changes for the 2004 model year.

You may not see the NSX super sports car very often, but when you do, you won't soon forget it. It's a futuristic, low slung sports coupe that features mid-engine design and aluminum construction, and it has a reputation for being one of the more pleasant exotic sports cars on the market. For this year, changes include a trunk mounted six-disc CD changer, keyless entry system, redesigned shifter knob, and a redesigned meter panel surround.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:15 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is IMA?

I think Acura is making a mistake not bring the Accord Estate over here. It would be a niche vehicle, but compete nicely with the A4 Avant and Passat Wagons.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:42 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm not surprised based on my experience with few of their dealers and service departments.

I own TLS and I feel it's just barely above average car and my buying and owner experience so far has been nothing to brag about.

Recently my wife was in the market for a new car and we pretty much ruled out Acura due to snoby attitude of the sales people when it came to negotiating on price. Besides my wife liked and preferred Honda Accord EX V6. She thought the Accord V6 engine was much more powerful and smoother and it came with vertually the same features including navigation for $4,000 less.

Also I know that many previous owners of TL were very unhappy with all the transmssion & rotor problems they've had and the way the Acura service department handles them.

I think that's a perfect receipe for lost customers.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:12 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by darth62
What is IMA?

I think Acura is making a mistake not bring the Accord Estate over here. It would be a niche vehicle, but compete nicely with the A4 Avant and Passat Wagons.
anyone can correct me on this but i think it means intergrated motor assist.

basically has a regular motor that powers the front wheels and 2 electric motors powering each rear wheel. theres are other IMA systems like the dualnote concept where it was a regular motor powering rear wheels and electric motors up front. the insight has IMA but its a gas/electic motor powering just front wheels designed for fuel efficency whereas the other to are more performanced in mind
Old 10-30-2003, 07:46 AM
Racer

Originally posted by d-rock
anyone can correct me on this but i think it means intergrated motor assist.

basically has a regular motor that powers the front wheels and 2 electric motors powering each rear wheel. theres are other IMA systems like the dualnote concept where it was a regular motor powering rear wheels and electric motors up front. the insight has IMA but its a gas/electic motor powering just front wheels designed for fuel efficency whereas the other to are more performanced in mind
Man, I hope they don't put that stuff in the new RL - yuck!
Old 10-30-2003, 11:38 PM
Racer

Article: New Acura's bolder look matches performance

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/03304/235407.stm

New Acura's bolder look matches performance

Friday, October 31, 2003

By Ann M. Job, The Associated Press

After years of pleasant-looking but conservative styling, Acura is finally designing boldly. And there's no better car to receive compelling, even emotional exterior styling than Acura's best-selling model, the TL sedan.

Matching the TL's new, edgier looks are these impressive features: new engineering that gives the sedan the highest horsepower and torque of any TL ever; new, DVD-Audio surround sound -- a first in the auto industry; and standard Bluetooth communications technology.

"Our concept for this car is a sophisticated sports sedan," said Robert Bienenfeld, Acura's senior manager of product planning.

Starting manufacturer's retail price, for the third-generation, 2004 TL is $33,195, including destination charge. That's $3,715 more than the base 2003 TL's starting price and $1,365 more than the performance version of the 2003 TL -- the Type S model.

Competing 2004 Lexus ES 330 starts at $32,350, including destination charge. Another competitor, the base BMW 3-series, the 2004 325i, starts at $28,495.

Acura doesn't have a 2004 Type S. But every TL now comes with performance that's notched up even from last year's Type S.

I found I had to keep a close watch on the speedometer. It's easy to go over speed limits in the new TL, whose 3.2-liter, single overhead cam V-6 with Acura's Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC) now provides 270 horsepower, better than 260 of last year's Type S. The 270-horse V-6 is the new TL's only engine.

Torque is 238 foot-pounds at 5,000 rpm now, compared with 232 foot-pounds at 3,500 to 5,500 rpm in the old Type S.

The Lexus ES 330's 225-horse, V-6 engine generates 240 foot-pounds of torque at 3,600 rpm. In the inline six-cylinder-powered BMW 3-Series, the 184-horse 325i model generates 175 foot-pounds of torque at 3,500 rpm, and the 225-horse 330i model, 214 foot-pounds of torque at 3,500 rpm. The BMW 3-Series does not come with V6 engines.

The TL sedan's engine power comes on readily and steadily, especially with the six-speed manual transmission. It's a fun, short-throw shifter, complete with multi-cone synchronizers on the first through fourth gears.

A five-speed automatic also is offered and can be shifted manually without the clutch pedal.

Only TLs with the six-speed manual get a limited slip differential and four-piston Brembo front brakes. The six-speed models also are the only TLs that offer optional high-performance summer tires that were on the test car.

The TL's ride is less noisy and busy in the five-speed automatic than in the sportier six-speed manual version which has different stabilizer bars. The performance tires on the six-speed model add extra road noise, too.

The new TL appears to take the front-wheel-drive platform right up to its performance limits. Fitted with standard four-wheel vehicle stability control with traction control, the TL works hard to control understeer and to minimize torque steer.

The suspension is more capable now, and the overall rigidity of the car is noticeable.

Ergonomics inside the TL are some of the best around. Perforated leather seats are quite accommodating for someone my size -- 5 feet 4 -- or someone who's 6 feet tall.

All controls are within easy reach and easy to understand. The gauges' blue LED-illuminated numbers and letters, and the bright red needles, which seem to float inside these gauges, are distinctive and jazzy looking.

Positioned below the larger Acura RL sedan, which starts at $46,100, the TL comes with equipment that even the RL and many other higher-priced cars don't have.

A new, 225-watt audio system with in-dashboard, six-disc changer and 5.1 surround sound is a prime example.

The Acura/ELS Premium 8-speaker Surround Sound System was developed with the help of electronics giant Panasonic and Elliot Scheiner, Grammy-winning music producer and engineer who produced albums for Steely Dan and Fleetwood Mac. (The "ELS" part of the system's name stand for the music producer's initials.)

This system uses six channels (surround sound), rather than the usual two (stereo), found in premium sound systems to deliver digital surround sound that has 500 times the resolution of CD audio.

As a result, it can play the latest DVD-A disks to deliver amazingly clear, detailed sounds that made me feel as if I were inside a recording studio, rather than the inside of a car. The sounds were that good.

An additional benefit to this DVD-Audio system, at least to the recording industry: The new DVD-A medium will be difficult to pirate.

The downside right now, though, is that current DVD-A selections are limited.

Not to worry. The TL's audio system also can play regular, two-channel CDs in stereo as well as DTS CDs in surround sound. It doesn't play the MP3 format, though it can play CD-Rs and CD-RWs.

The DVD-Audio sound system is standard in the TL. Also found in every 2004 TL: A cassette player for drivers who listen to books on tape and a free, three-month subscription to XM Satellite radio that provides some 100 specialty radio channels, many of them commercial-free.

There's a lot of attention to detail in the new TL.

The keyless remote entry not only adjusts the position of seat and outside mirrors, it can automatically go to a personal, preset heating/cooling temperature.

The Bluetooth technology allows someone with a Bluetooth-enabled phone to use the car's voice recognition and audio systems to conduct calls hands-free. In fact, the phone doesn't even have to be docked. It can be in the glovebox or even a suitcase and still be operational.

The downside: Bluetooth cellular phones tend to be the pricier models on the market.

The TL's navigation system, expected to be on 25 percent of the models sold, is upgraded from its predecessor for quicker route calculation and additional information.

The nav system also is integrated into the air conditioning since its global positioning system can tell the direction the car is traveling and where the sun is positioned. As a result, the cooling system can add extra cooling to the passenger area of the car that's getting the sun's direct rays.

Because the 2004 TL is a new model, there's no reliability rating by Consumer Reports magazine. The 2003 TL was a Consumer Reports recommended buy.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports no crash test results and no safety recalls of the new TL.

Women accounted for 51 percent of the buyers of the 2003 TL and 41 percent of the buyers of the 2003 TL Type S, Acura officials said.

These are well-to-do buyers, with annual household income of $104,000. Some two-thirds have college degrees and median age is in the 45- to 50-year range. Most are married.

Annual sales for the new TL are expected to be 65,000.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:21 PM
Racer

Press Release: October Acura Sales Up 21.7% on Strength of All-New 2004 TL

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/031103/lam134_1.html

October Acura Sales Up 21.7% on Strength of All-New 2004 TL
Monday November 3, 4:42 pm ET
Redesigned Performance Luxury Sedan Shatters Sales Record Its First Month on Sale

TORRANCE, Calif., Nov. 3 /PRNewswire/ -- Record sales of the all-new 2004 TL drove October Acura sales to 14,731, a 21.7 percent increase compared to last year, Acura announced today. In its first month on sale, the dramatically redesigned TL sold 6,031 units, eclipsing the previous October record of 5,793 set in 2001. The new TL features a 270-horsepower engine, track-tuned suspension, and an assortment of cutting edge technology including the first standard DVD-Audio surround sound system.

"We knew demand for the all-new TL would be strong because of the sporty new styling, added performance, available 6-speed manual, and vast array of new features and technology," said Dick Colliver, executive vice president, auto sales. "These early results will give us great momentum throughout the rest of the year and should provide Acura with a new all-time sales record this year."

The MDX luxury SUV continued to sell well in the competitive luxury SUV segment. Up 10 percent for the month, October MDX sales of 4,936 set a new monthly record and pushed year-to-date Acura light truck sales to 46,553, up 7.4 percent compared to last year.

The new 2004 TSX sports sedan sold 1,758 units, pushing year-to-date sales to 15,336, and surpassing its first year sales goal with two months still remaining.

Additional information and downloadable high-resolution images are available at www.acuranews.com .
Old 11-03-2003, 05:30 PM
Instructor

Where the Hell is mine?

Old 11-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Instructor

I would like to know the break down of 03 and 04 TLs sold. The statement of "record sales of all-new 2004 TL" is kind of misleading since it combines 03 and 04 models sold.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:19 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by JeffPhx
I would like to know the break down of 03 and 04 TLs sold. The statement of "record sales of all-new 2004 TL" is kind of misleading since it combines 03 and 04 models sold.
Not sure what's misleading here:

"In its first month on sale, the dramatically redesigned TL sold 6,031 units, eclipsing the previous October record of 5,793 set in 2001."

They're not mixing in the 03s with that statement.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:46 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Regardless of the combination, it's still impressive considering that the 04 TL didn't actually sell for the whole month of October.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:07 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by TColl03
Not sure what's misleading here:

"In its first month on sale, the dramatically redesigned TL sold 6,031 units, eclipsing the previous October record of 5,793 set in 2001."

They're not mixing in the 03s with that statement.
The reason for my question then would be, are they not counting 2003 TL sales anymore now that the 04 model is out? The statement leads one to believe that the sales of 6,031 were only 04 models and did not include any 03s, yet I imagine it includes sales of both years in the total. I was just wondering what the actual 04 model sales for the month were if that figure did include both models. Regardless, that is an impressive number for one month.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:17 PM
Pro

I think it includes both the 2003 and 2004, just look at the original link to yahoo and you will see the numbers lump all together as it shows a year total for the TL's which exceeds the 6k number.

BTW - the NSX sold 5 in october, it like the RL (517 sold nation wide in october) is in need of replacement
Old 11-04-2003, 10:04 AM
Instructor

The reason for my question then would be, are they not counting 2003 TL sales anymore now that the 04 model is out? The statement leads one to believe that the sales of 6,031 were only 04 models and did not include any 03s, yet I imagine it includes sales of both years in the total. I was just wondering what the actual 04 model sales for the month were if that figure did include both models. Regardless, that is an impressive number for one month.
The way the release reads, I'd think 2003 TL sales were included in the overall Acura sales total, but not reflected in the 2004 TL number...much as RSX and NSX sales must be...oh, and don't forget the soon-to-be-replaced RL (though most of us have).

EDIT: Now that I look at that table, maybe I'm wrong.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Intermediate

Re: Press Release: October Acura Sales Up 21.7% on Strength of All-New 2004 TL

"We knew demand for the all-new TL would be strong because of the sporty new styling, added performance, available 6-speed manual...

Available 6-speed manual. Now thats kind of misleading. I'll be happy when both tha 6-speed and A-spec are really available.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:21 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: Press Release: October Acura Sales Up 21.7% on Strength of All-New 2004 TL

Originally posted by ViperLuke
Available 6-speed manual. Now thats kind of misleading. I'll be happy when both tha 6-speed and A-spec are really available.
Exactly!!!
Old 11-04-2003, 02:50 PM
Instructor

Exactly! I would love to see the 04 only numbers as well. Clearly misleading statement. When the TSX came out, one could see how many were sold for the month and YTD. Over 6K units on the first month seems a little high to me, especially when I drive by the dealers and I see the same cars sitting on the lot... day after day. They are not selling as fast as I expected, that's for sure!
Old 11-04-2003, 09:22 PM
Certified Lurker

I am actualy liking the TL more and more that i see it.

by the way, i cant beleve how dated the A4 looks in that first pic on the first page....maby its just me, but does anyone else see it?
Old 11-05-2003, 06:45 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Honda/Acura at SEMA2003 (HIGH RES PRESS PHOTOS)

Check out my posts here:

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/foru...?s=&forumid=47

Click any image to see full size.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:18 AM
Old timer

Please post the link to where this article appeared originally so I can print it out. Thanks.

Also the new TL is an excellent car especially in person.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:45 AM
Moderator Alumnus

the rims on the element are tite.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:32 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 11-08-2003, 10:51 AM
The hair says it all

the accored is horrible but like you guys said, the rimms on the element are hot
Old 11-17-2003, 04:03 PM
Pro

Post Autoweek - What Honda (err Acura) Should Do

In the Autoweek November 17, 2003 issue, there is a column called then and now, it has an interesting article called "What Honda Should Do" and is really about Acura!

The article is very much like what we have spoken about that Acura has gotten to soft, and should do more, it also gives a great line or two about the TL and TSX and what great cars they are.

Very interesting to read!

Mini image for those who have microscopic eyes!

Go to image 9 in the photo album below for the full image:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?i...20&mode=invite

NOW AND THEN
DENISE MCCLUGGAGE
What Honda Should Do
HONDA MAY BE TOO JAPANESE FOR its own good. What Honda should do is stand above the crowd (un-Japanese), open its mouth wide un-Japanese) and brag chest-thumpingly about itself un-Japanese).
What it does is scuffle into the room1 shyly place a gilt on a low table and bow its way backward out of the room.
This is charming in a Japanese country inn with tatami mats and rice paper screens, but Honda is selling cars in a noisy, pointy-elbowed, crowded marketplace.
By Honda I really mean Acura, Which is another problem: Honda was first from Asia with the separate luxury division, but it hasn’t separated the two as well as the Toyota/Leans and Nissan/Infiniti pairs. Certainly not in the public’s perception.
And in recent years the company seems to have been wandering about with~ out a strong vector to its step. New models have more escaped than been “ta-da,” introduced. And then the company rather doled out its product to frustrated dealers.
The largest gifts deposited by Acura should really come in a package primed to burst into bits at a touch with an oomph band blaring and star-shaped confetti and colored streamers exploding into the air.
In one package is the TSX, a disarmingly dexterous four-banger that is much the Accord that Europeans know, and the other is the TL, which was once similar to a back-home Honda model but is now nearly wholly and exclusively American—designed here and built here, Both cars, following the sales philosophy of the suit department rather than separates, come grandly whole with so little that can be opted for. If you look at the price ($26,990 and $33,195, respectively) and then check the content, you sec these ears rank at the peak of value-for-money.
Take the TL. A no-charge option for the silken six-speed manual brings a limited-slip diff and Brembo brakes, which on the sticker of many other cars prompts a serious surcharge. Here it rates a bump up of only $200, and that’s for the Bridgestone Potenza high-performance tires.
And be careful all you who carp that Japanese cars arc devoid of personality; these two new gifts have an engaging edge to both their appearance and performance, though more subtly endearing than wow-producing. The TSX and TL are probably still too diffident for those who continue to knock the styling of Acura’s NSX despite its near-perfection in handling and performance.
Oh yes, and the absence of a V8. And the presence of front-wheel drive. We who are self-designated Serious Drivers know that cylinders must number eight or more and the rear wheels (or all wheels) must be driven to be a serious contender for out affections. That’s on dry or wet.
So it’s fun getting sideways and powering free.
Acura engineers early on masterfully dealt with something still bothering many. Front-drivers: dreaded torque steer (though apparently cherished rather than berated by Swedes). Conventional wisdom holds that no more than 200 hp can be successfully transferred to the ground through the front wheels without setting them to racing each other to the corner. Somehow the top TL manages 270 hp with aplomb.
And if there’s a sweeter V6 in the world, I’ve yet to meet it. I’ve not mentioned the tl’s exclusive DVD audio system (six-channel surround sound), which has sound hounds sitting agape with wonder. Come on, Acura, brag thunderously on this.
But wait: I sense a stirring. I see indications that Acura is lining up its ducks, rediscovering its lodestar, and the future may be even more worthy of some clamorous drum beating. Hybrid SUVs incoming? Four-wheel drive?
Louder, Acura. —dmccluggage@crain.com
Old 11-17-2003, 06:28 PM
Registered AssHat

I like the understatedness.

I especially liked it when I drove into work and people asked me "what the hell is that!?" about the TSX. No one knew.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:07 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Nice article, I was expecting to see another article that proclaims Acura is doomed for not having a V8 or RWD car. Though this article touches on those concepts, it doesn't nag on about them ad nauseam like the other article we've seen.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:43 PM
Racer

Enjoyed reading that, thanks!
Old 11-17-2003, 10:03 PM
Pro

Originally posted by phile
Nice article, I was expecting to see another article that proclaims Acura is doomed for not having a V8 or RWD car. Though this article touches on those concepts, it doesn't nag on about them ad nauseam like the other article we've seen.
Agreed, it was most interesting to see that while they would like a V8 and RWD, they said that Acura was doing a fine job with the V6 and FWD. They also like the 4 bannger in the TSX
Old 11-18-2003, 08:31 AM
Intermediate

I saw this article as well. I think Acura is doing a nice job with their print TL ads. I haven't seen the TV spots on the new TL, but the guy who sold me my car two weeks ago feels they really suck. As the article points out, Acura has superb new product, and they need to follow the lead of Infiniti and Lexus, both of whom have generally more effective advertising.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by corloc
I saw this article as well. I think Acura is doing a nice job with their print TL ads. I haven't seen the TV spots on the new TL, but the guy who sold me my car two weeks ago feels they really suck. As the article points out, Acura has superb new product, and they need to follow the lead of Infiniti and Lexus, both of whom have generally more effective advertising.
it's not product advertising that is more effective...its product differnation... eg no toyota in NA has RWD, yet GS,IS,LS all do, and a RX is a lot different than a Highlander unlike Pilot and MDX... not to mention mixed reviews of customer service at Acura whereas Lexus has always strived to have customer service as a high priority..but its hard to give customer service and luxury standards when the brand sells a car for like 18k (RSX) when its supposed to be a luxury brand.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:19 AM
Teh ?

Originally posted by gilboman
it's not product advertising that is more effective...its product differnation... eg no toyota in NA has RWD, yet GS,IS,LS all do, and a RX is a lot different than a Highlander unlike Pilot and MDX... not to mention mixed reviews of customer service at Acura whereas Lexus has always strived to have customer service as a high priority..but its hard to give customer service and luxury standards when the brand sells a car for like 18k (RSX) when its supposed to be a luxury brand.
Sadly, I have to agree with most of what you said. Honda still hasn't done a great job in separating the two badges like the other companies have. I think that even Infiniti has made that change by offering cars and SUV's that share components with their Nissan cousins, but distinguish themselves with cosmetic and performance changes. As much as I like the TSX, it's a rebadged car from Europe and Japan. There was nothing innovative about offering this product in North America. Don't get me wrong, I love the car, but I wish they would have done more than just bring the car over the pond (like offer us AWD).

Service is another thing that Acura just doesn't live up to luxury levels. When I owned my Integra, it was ridiculous to even try to get it serviced for anything at the dealership without some sort of hassle. I just decided it was better for me to pay for a independent Honda mechanic. On the other hand, Lexus and others offer serious service with great convinience.

I had a buddy that had the IS300 and he had a trunk lid problem. I went to the dealer with him to give him a ride back. First, the dealer guy said they were sorry for the problem with the car, though it wasn't their fault at all. Then the guy said that they didn't have a IS that they could loan to him for a day or two, and offered him a GS to drive around!!! When he got his IS back, it was sparkling clean and the mechanic throughly explained the problem and the corrections they made. I told my buddy that he bought a car for a great price, because of the service that came with it. Acura needs to look further then just building great cars, since it is a luxury division, and start offering the experience of owning a luxury car and all it's perks.

As for the RSX comment, we have discussed this before. The entry luxury market is the hottest thing for the carmakers. BMW essentially has the Mini to do this job, and they are going to offer a entry sedan set below the 3 series. MB is also coming out with the Smart line in the NA market, as well as a revised entry car set to be priced sub 25K. Audi bring the A3 next year. Alfa has been talking about relaunch in the US market with their compacts. Acura just has a jump start in the entry market to lure the young buyers to become loyal buyers of the brand for years to come.

Junkster, who saw the new Legacy for next year, and think it kinda reminds him of TSX.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:04 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by gilboman
You are such a little troll.

Below is JDPowers CSI for 2003....
Oh and that 20K RSX that is so embrassing to you...I wonder why BMW and MB have both decided to move DOWN scale with their products. Oh wait they are going to be nice cars because it will be RWD...how can I be so dumb to forget that.

WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif.—Quality improvements across the automotive industry are driving down the need for warranty repairs at new-vehicle dealerships, transforming the nature of the dealer service business, according to the J.D. Power and Associates 2003 Customer Service Index (CSI) StudySM released today.

The study, now in its 22nd year, finds the balance of work at dealerships is tilting more toward regular scheduled maintenance as opposed to repairs. The mix of routine maintenance business has increased to 57 percent in 2003 from 47 percent in 1999.

"Less warranty work means that automakers are taking cost out of their products through quality improvements," said Joe Ivers, partner and executive director of quality/customer satisfaction at J.D. Power and Associates. "To replace this declining revenue, dealers must now compete with other service providers, such as independent service facilities, for customer-paid service business, making them more accountable to their customers."

Customer satisfaction with dealer service has improved industry-wide by eight points over 2002©?851 compared with 843©?reflecting the fourth consecutive improvement since the current study metrics were established in 1999.

The study notes that sales increases over recent years among certain franchises, particularly among some European nameplates, have resulted in bottlenecks at service bays. As growth in service capacity and accessibility have been outpaced by sales growth, some customers report frustration getting their vehicles into the dealership in a reasonable and convenient time. The 2003 study shows significant improvements being made in this and other areas, among both Audi and Mercedes-Benz franchises.

"Dealers that now have more customers are being challenged to find ways to keep their customers flowing efficiently through their service bays," said Ivers. "Efficiency problems can also have a negative effect on other unrelated aspects of the service experience, even with regard to a customer¡¯s critique of the vehicle itself."

Infiniti ranks highest in the 2003 study with an index score of 900. Saturn, which led in 2002, follows Infiniti in the ranking, dropping four index points to 896. Acura, Lexus and Lincoln tie for third position at 895.

Suzuki is the most improved nameplate in 2003, increasing 5 percent over 2002. Audi and Mercedes-Benz were each up 4 percent, while Ford and Mitsubishi each improved 3 percent.

The CSI study focuses on experiences with the dealer service department during the first three years of vehicle ownership, which typically represents the majority of vehicle warranty periods. The 2003 study is based upon the responses of nearly 106,000 new-vehicle owners and lessees.

Headquartered in Westlake Village, Calif., J.D. Power and Associates is an ISO 9001-registered global marketing information services firm operating in key business sectors including market research, forecasting, consulting, training and customer satisfaction. The firm¡¯s quality and satisfaction measurements are based on responses from millions of consumers annually. Media e-mail contact: michael.greywitt@jdpa.com or john.tews@jdpa.com

No advertising or other promotional use can be made of the information in this release without the express prior written consent of J.D. Power and Associates. www.jdpower.com

# # #
Old 11-18-2003, 12:09 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Junkster
Sadly, I have to agree with most of what you said. Honda still hasn't done a great job in separating the two badges like the other companies have. I think that even Infiniti has made that change by offering cars and SUV's that share components with their Nissan cousins, but distinguish themselves with cosmetic and performance changes. As much as I like the TSX, it's a rebadged car from Europe and Japan. There was nothing innovative about offering this product in North America. Don't get me wrong, I love the car, but I wish they would have done more than just bring the car over the pond (like offer us AWD).

Service is another thing that Acura just doesn't live up to luxury levels. When I owned my Integra, it was ridiculous to even try to get it serviced for anything at the dealership without some sort of hassle. I just decided it was better for me to pay for a independent Honda mechanic. On the other hand, Lexus and others offer serious service with great convinience.

I had a buddy that had the IS300 and he had a trunk lid problem. I went to the dealer with him to give him a ride back. First, the dealer guy said they were sorry for the problem with the car, though it wasn't their fault at all. Then the guy said that they didn't have a IS that they could loan to him for a day or two, and offered him a GS to drive around!!! When he got his IS back, it was sparkling clean and the mechanic throughly explained the problem and the corrections they made. I told my buddy that he bought a car for a great price, because of the service that came with it. Acura needs to look further then just building great cars, since it is a luxury division, and start offering the experience of owning a luxury car and all it's perks.

As for the RSX comment, we have discussed this before. The entry luxury market is the hottest thing for the carmakers. BMW essentially has the Mini to do this job, and they are going to offer a entry sedan set below the 3 series. MB is also coming out with the Smart line in the NA market, as well as a revised entry car set to be priced sub 25K. Audi bring the A3 next year. Alfa has been talking about relaunch in the US market with their compacts. Acura just has a jump start in the entry market to lure the young buyers to become loyal buyers of the brand for years to come.

Junkster, who saw the new Legacy for next year, and think it kinda reminds him of TSX.
It could have been you went to a bad Acura dealer and your friend went to a great Lexus dealer. I don't think its as bad or even as good as alot of people make them out to be. Its all dependent in the people working each service dept.

Quick Reply: Acura: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News