Rear Diff Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 02:18 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Rear Diff Fluid Change

I'm a bit over 21,000 miles and the maintenance minder just flipped on for A16 so oil change and rear diff fluid change. Is 20,000 about right for the fluid?
Old 04-29-2013, 06:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When I had this done I was told that it is replacing the break-in fluid and the next time would probably be at about 60,000 miles.
The following users liked this post:
BlackDogRDX (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 11:04 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Just did the 3rd service. A16 code so oil change and the diff fluid. I was surprised that they charged me half an hour of labor on the diff fluid. Is that reasonable?
Old 05-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackDogRDX
Just did the 3rd service. A16 code so oil change and the diff fluid. I was surprised that they charged me half an hour of labor on the diff fluid. Is that reasonable?
Seems about right. I don't know if the diff has a drain plug (I have an FWD) but if so the stuff is thick and takes a while to drain. If no plug then it has to be sucked out which also takes some time. Couple that with lifting the vehicle, putting the fluid in and checking for leaks, taking it off lift, etc. and I think you are in the 20 to 30 minute range (based on having changed the diff fluid in my pickup).
mlkslr1 (05-09-2013)
Old 05-12-2013, 06:05 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dorsey
Seems about right. I don't know if the diff has a drain plug (I have an FWD) but if so the stuff is thick and takes a while to drain. If no plug then it has to be sucked out which also takes some time. Couple that with lifting the vehicle, putting the fluid in and checking for leaks, taking it off lift, etc. and I think you are in the 20 to 30 minute range (based on having changed the diff fluid in my pickup).
It would have already been "on the lift" for the oil & filter change. Just ANOTHER excuse to get more money out of you.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:13 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to revive an old thread, but wanted to ask about this again. My 2013 RDX AWD gave maintenance code B16 this week. I figured it was due for it's second oil change, so I brought it in (It has 17,000 miles on it - the first one came on at 8,000) They told me the rear diff fluid needs to be changed also (about $90). I was in a rush so told them to do it, but my spouse said there is no way I should have to do it already. It's 8 months old (I commute to work) and my miles driven are 95% highway. No towing and no abuse ever.

When I questioned the service advisor, he told me it was the "factory fluid" that needs to be changed, but then said it has to be done about every 15,000 miles. Of course, he followed up with reminding me that if I dont abide by the service schedule, it could cause problems with my warranty.

Thoughts?
Old 09-27-2013, 11:58 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by SoccerCat
said it has to be done about every 15,000 miles. Of course, he followed up with reminding me that if I dont abide by the service schedule, it could cause problems with my warranty.

Thoughts?
That sounds insane, every 15K miles?

There should be somwhere where it clearly identifies factory required service items. Often dealers add things to increase their revenue that the factory does not require.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:28 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by fleuger99
That sounds insane, every 15K miles?

There should be somwhere where it clearly identifies factory required service items. Often dealers add things to increase their revenue that the factory does not require.
I'm learning that when a computer tells us when we need to do things we have no real way of forecasting events. The oil monitor at least drops down by 10% points but the other stuff is a lot more random than I'd like. I checked the manual and the old charts that one usually sees in owner's manuals has basically been replaced with "do it when we the system tells you to". That could be a recipe for dealer profits. Of course, you can always have it done by someone else.....just make damn sure you get the details of what product was used and the labor performed.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:13 AM
Racer

Well, I just got my B16 maint code at about 14000 miles on my 2013 RDX. Called my dealer and asked for a price --- $360. Ouch. Got a discount coupon from Costco for 15% off maint/repairs at participating dealerships. Called that dealer (which is not the dealer I purchased the vehicle from) and asked for their price -- $330. So $330 minus discount is about $280. They both said it would take about an hour.

My question is why does it cost so much? I doubt if they have more than one tech do the more techy stuff and they probably have a second much lower paid "oil changer" do the oil change, differential fluid change and rotate tires. With only about $50 in parts/materials the labor seems totally excessive. Am I not seeing something here?

I know I could probably change oil and diff fluid myself but all the other things they say they check are beyond me and I do want them checked. But I also know that an experienced tech can check all that stuff in less than 15 minutes (if they in fact really do check all that stuff religiously). I understand that dealers don't make much off new car sales anymore and their back shops do a lot of the support profit wise but do they have to gouge like that. Just makes them seem a little more "oily" than you would expect.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:42 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by geocord
Well, I just got my B16 maint code at about 14000 miles on my 2013 RDX. Called my dealer and asked for a price --- $360. Ouch. Got a discount coupon from Costco for 15% off maint/repairs at participating dealerships. Called that dealer (which is not the dealer I purchased the vehicle from) and asked for their price -- $330. So $330 minus discount is about $280. They both said it would take about an hour.

My question is why does it cost so much? I doubt if they have more than one tech do the more techy stuff and they probably have a second much lower paid "oil changer" do the oil change, differential fluid change and rotate tires. With only about $50 in parts/materials the labor seems totally excessive. Am I not seeing something here?

I know I could probably change oil and diff fluid myself but all the other things they say they check are beyond me and I do want them checked. But I also know that an experienced tech can check all that stuff in less than 15 minutes (if they in fact really do check all that stuff religiously). I understand that dealers don't make much off new car sales anymore and their back shops do a lot of the support profit wise but do they have to gouge like that. Just makes them seem a little more "oily" than you would expect.
Check out the DIY section. There is one for changing the rear diff fluid. Looks easier than an oil change. You are getting bent over big time for $300.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Hell the rear diff on my 09 AWD TL was $95, so you are getting screwed.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:06 PM
Racer

I estimate the following:
Rear diff $95
Tire rotate $30
Oil change with synthetic $60
Checks = $40
Total $225.

So I figure if I can get it for about $280 it's not too big a screw job. Still sucks though.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:48 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
This is where the maintenance plan comes in handy. Pay $850 up front and all services to 60k are covered. No haggling over price or looking for the cheapest dealer - drive in, tell them to do the required service and drive out.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:38 PM
2015 RDX Tech AWD

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by ceb
This is where the maintenance plan comes in handy. Pay $850 up front and all services to 60k are covered. No haggling over price or looking for the cheapest dealer - drive in, tell them to do the required service and drive out.

For how many years, Four? what does it cover?. Brakes and wipers? My dealer gives free oil changes for the life of the car & or me?

I guess that I'll find out next Thursday after they take me in that "closing" room.... I don't want no LoJack or extended warrantee....

Told me today that a remote starter was $729.....!
Old 07-30-2014, 06:31 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ARascal
For how many years, Four? what does it cover?. Brakes and wipers? My dealer gives free oil changes for the life of the car & or me?

I guess that I'll find out next Thursday after they take me in that "closing" room.... I don't want no LoJack or extended warrantee....

Told me today that a remote starter was $729.....!
I got the 4 year 60k plan for about $850. Good at "most" Acura dealers although all in the greater DC area take it. It covers all of the scheduled maintenances (anything the MMI calls for plus time based services like brake fluid) but does not include brakes or tires.

Be careful with those "free lifetime oilchange offers. All are fraught with catches.

The local dealer offers the same - but - here are the caveats:

It only covers the oil change with basic dino oil
You must get ALL servicing done at that dealer
You pay the difference between the "free" oil change ($29.95 in DC) and the full cost of the actual service (A1 is 127.95 plus tax) so that "free" oil change is really bundled with a service that costs you $100 - no negotiations allowed.
ARascal (07-30-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 07:29 AM
Pro

I estimate the following:
Rear diff $95
Tire rotate $30
Oil change with synthetic $60
Checks = $40
Total $225.

So I figure if I can get it for about $280 it's not too big a screw job. Still sucks though.
Well considering my local dealer with do a synthetic oil change and tire rotation for $55-60, including all the "checks", you are getting screwed for anything over $200. Might be worth your while to invest in the proper tools and start doing it yourself.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by hondu
Well considering my local dealer with do a synthetic oil change and tire rotation for $55-60, including all the "checks", you are getting screwed for anything over $200. Might be worth your while to invest in the proper tools and start doing it yourself.
Time is money my friend. You forgot about the diff. change and all the checks the tech does. I can't look at certain things and instantly say there is no problem with it. While I'm under warranty I want to have Acura techs sign off on all those items. How many checks of all the systems do you really think they are doing when they give a synthetic change and rotation for $60?

I could paint my own house too if I really wanted to. It's not brain surgery but I want it done by a professional. I realize I'm paying a lot.....just trying to not pay way too much. Cost of owning a nicer car with a lot of technology I guess.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:37 PM
2015 RDX Tech AWD

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ceb
I got the 4 year 60k plan for about $850. Good at "most" Acura dealers although all in the greater DC area take it. It covers all of the scheduled maintenances (anything the MMI calls for plus time based services like brake fluid) but does not include brakes or tires.

Be careful with those "free lifetime oilchange offers. All are fraught with catches.

The local dealer offers the same - but - here are the caveats:

It only covers the oil change with basic dino oil
You pay the difference between the "free" oil change ($29.95 in DC) and the full cost of the actual service (A1 is 127.95 plus tax) so that "free" oil change is really bundled with a service that costs you $100 - no negotiations allowed.

"It only covers the oil change with basic dino oil
You pay the difference between the "free" oil change ($29.95 in DC) and the full cost of the actual service (A1 is 127.95 plus tax) so that "free" oil change is really bundled with a service that costs you $100 - no negotiations allowed."

Thanks for the heads up..... The adage about "There's no free lunch" ..... particularly with stealer dealers. Is always most likely in force. I'll ask the questions, get the answers in writing.

And, keep my back against the wall at the closing tomorrow. If I hear what sounds like a KY jar opening...... run Forrest...run!
Old 07-30-2014, 07:59 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ARascal
"It only covers the oil change with basic dino oil
You pay the difference between the "free" oil change ($29.95 in DC) and the full cost of the actual service (A1 is 127.95 plus tax) so that "free" oil change is really bundled with a service that costs you $100 - no negotiations allowed."

Thanks for the heads up..... The adage about "There's no free lunch" ..... particularly with stealer dealers. Is always most likely in force. I'll ask the questions, get the answers in writing.

And, keep my back against the wall at the closing tomorrow. If I hear what sounds like a KY jar opening...... run Forrest...run!

The first time that you get a service done elsewhere that lifetime warranty is toast. I think you can have an emergency repair done elsewhere assuming that Acura roadside won't tow you to the selling dealer.

Good luck and keep us posted on the negotiations.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:10 AM
Pro

Time is money my friend. You forgot about the diff. change and all the checks the tech does. I can't look at certain things and instantly say there is no problem with it. While I'm under warranty I want to have Acura techs sign off on all those items. How many checks of all the systems do you really think they are doing when they give a synthetic change and rotation for $60?

I could paint my own house too if I really wanted to. It's not brain surgery but I want it done by a professional. I realize I'm paying a lot.....just trying to not pay way too much. Cost of owning a nicer car with a lot of technology I guess.
They do all the checks in the $60 service required by the MM, so everything that is needed (I get a full write up at the end).

Changing engine and diff oil is so easy and takes very little investment or time to do yourself. By the time you drive to the dealer and wait to have the oil change and diff done, it could easily be done as a DIY.

The "checks" they say they do, take very little time to do. They are mainly just looking at things, not taking things apart.

But if it gives you piece of mind about your warranty and makes you feel better that the dealer does these things, prepare to pay the price and good luck.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:34 PM
I may be fat but I'm slow

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Bumping an old thread; my wife's '15 RDX just popped for A16 at 21k, oil/filter + tires rotate + rear differential.

I don't mind paying for the fluids to be changed, but a regular oil change runs me about $70-80, I was just quoted $198 for the whole A16, which tells me tires rotate + differential is $120? Crazy talk. I do the rear diff on my S2000 for $10 of parts and maybe 20 minutes of my time. I told them to put me down for just the fluid changes and rotation, (not all the BS "checks" which they'll do anyways, no one is going to send me on my way with loose bolts and crap, and I shouldn't have those at 21k anyways) so we'll see what it costs.