Security Light

Old 05-03-2006, 11:46 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Security Light

I've noticed when I lock my car with the remote, I never see the security light on the door blinking. In fact I've never seen it on at all. I replaced the led with a new one thinking it was burnt, but nothing. I know the car locks up when I press the button, and the lights blink when unlocked. But how would I know if the alarm is active and that something is wrong with the security light?
Old 05-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
sit in the car lock it with the remote, wait 30 sec or so then unlock it by hand and open the door. If the alarm goes off its working
Old 05-03-2006, 01:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
sit in the car lock it with the remote, wait 30 sec or so then unlock it by hand and open the door. If the alarm goes off its working
I tried just that and nothing happen. After like 15 secs the car locks by itself too. Don't know if that's part of the alarm or just an auto lock feature of the car, but no sound or lights flashing when I opened the door by hand.

Is there any procedure or fuse that might be burned that is causing this?
Old 05-03-2006, 04:00 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is obviously something wrong with a sensor here. First, make sure every one of your door lock actuators are working (meaning all doors do lock when you hit the button).

Second look carefully in your display at the door and trunk ajar indicators. Does the trunk red block stay lit even when the trunk is closed? If so, the trunk sensor is bad and this means that the alarm will not arm because it thinks the trunk is open.

If all is well there, the hood sensor could be faulty. The car will ALWAYS blink its lights when unlocked with the remote. But if it doesn't blink them when you lock it (and doesn't give you a little "beep" when you lock it twice with the remote) the security system isn't armed.

My guess is that your hood sensor is bad.

BTW - if the car is locked and you unlock it with the remote, it will re-lock in 30 seconds. This is an active arming feature of the system.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Type_S
I tried just that and nothing happen. After like 15 secs the car locks by itself too. Don't know if that's part of the alarm or just an auto lock feature of the car, but no sound or lights flashing when I opened the door by hand.

Is there any procedure or fuse that might be burned that is causing this?
Why would it lock by itself if you already have it locked? If you hit unlock and dont open the door it will automatically relock itself.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Why would it lock by itself if you already have it locked? If you hit unlock and dont open the door it will automatically relock itself.
First I check to see if it would lock by itself with the doors unlocked, which it did. Then I tried by locking myself in then manually opening the door from inside and nothing.

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
There is obviously something wrong with a sensor here. First, make sure every one of your door lock actuators are working (meaning all doors do lock when you hit the button).

Second look carefully in your display at the door and trunk ajar indicators. Does the trunk red block stay lit even when the trunk is closed? If so, the trunk sensor is bad and this means that the alarm will not arm because it thinks the trunk is open.

If all is well there, the hood sensor could be faulty. The car will ALWAYS blink its lights when unlocked with the remote. But if it doesn't blink them when you lock it (and doesn't give you a little "beep" when you lock it twice with the remote) the security system isn't armed.

My guess is that your hood sensor is bad.

BTW - if the car is locked and you unlock it with the remote, it will re-lock in 30 seconds. This is an active arming feature of the system.
The dash indicators for the trunk and doors are off, so I'm assuming the sensors are good. It might be the hood sensor, if it has one. The lights would blink when I unlock the car, but don't when I lock it and theres no beep when I hit the button twice.

If it is the hood sensor, where in the engine bay is it located?
Old 05-03-2006, 06:12 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

It should be close the the hood latch. And there IS DEFINITELY one. It's so the alarm sounds if someone pries open the hood.

This has happened to other members before.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:13 PM
Racer

When i had the drivers side door panel off and i tried to arm the alarm system with the remote it wouldnt beep. Once i got the door panel back on and everything connected then everything worked perfectly fine. Make sure that everything is connected on the drivers side door panel because that could be causing it.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

DAMN...I'm having a problem with my alarm too.

my LED light doesn't blink anymore after my car got a paint job.

I assume something went wrong when taking off my panels and re-installing them.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:10 AM
10th Gear

Did n e body ever get this problem resolved. I have the same problem, don't think its the hood sensor but who knows. I've replaced the passenger side window motor, rear passenger door lock motor, now my alarm won't arm. None of the sensors show a door ajar signal on the dash, appreciate any help in advance.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
So far, hood latches have been the most common failure. If you disconnect the switch and jumper across the connector, you should get the flashing alarm light and chirp if the hood latch switch is your problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by TLer trash:
3.2TLc (06-14-2013), BADILLOTL (06-14-2013)