Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

XBOX 360 Spring Update

Old 06-06-2006, 01:03 PM
Still trolling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
XBOX 360 Spring Update

When I logged into to live, it forced this update.

Newsflash:
Xbox 360 Spring Update

Starting June 6, Xbox 360™ gamers will be able to access a vigorous system-wide update creating a new pinnacle for next-generation gaming and entertainment. The Xbox 360 spring update introduces more than 125 revolutionary features and enhancements adding to the sheer power of Xbox 360, with stunning high-definition graphics, rich online capabilities, and innovative media offerings delivering a digital gaming and entertainment experience that simply can't be matched.

Since the launch of Xbox 360 in November 2005, Microsoft has continuously focused on gamer and community feedback to determine further improvements and enhancements for the evolving next-generation experience, resulting in this inaugural mass update. With more than half of all Xbox 360 gamers connected online, Xbox is further catering to its fans by delivering the spring update in the way they want it.

This free update will be digitally distributed over Xbox Live® to all members (Xbox Live Silver and Gold) with no disc or hard drive required to take advantage of the plethora of new features. Gamers without an Xbox Live account can easily sign up for the free network by connecting their console to a broadband internet connection. Once online, downloading the update takes less than a minute and provides instant access to features including:
Xbox Live Marketplace Enhancements

* The new background download manager gives you the ability to queue up and download six high definition items at a time, such as playable game demos, Xbox Live Arcade games, music videos, and movie trailers while actively playing games or browsing the dashboard. As an added benefit, if you engage in multiplayer gameplay while downloads are in process, the new background download manager will automatically pause the download queue until the multiplayer session is complete, ensuring a continuously optimal gameplay experience.
* Updated Xbox Live Marketplace menus makes it easier for you to find and store all of your gaming and entertainment content. This includes the addition of new menus for media and entertainment content, as well as enhanced menus making it easier for you to find what's new in each section as well as a quick view at all downloads by category.
* Full remote control features for Xbox Live Marketplace videos allow you to fast forward and rewind at various speeds (2X-16X) during all videos downloaded from Marketplace.

Music Player Improvements

* Custom background music now continues to play without interruption during game loads and when transitioning from game to game or disc content.
* During music play, the music playback screen now showcase the artist, song title, and time remaining on the song along with a visualizer showing which song on the playlist or album is currently playing.

DVD Movie Playback Upgrades

* DVD movie bookmarking now allows you to pause a movie at any point, put in a game for gameplay and return to the movie at the exact point it left off.
* Improved DVD movie playback for a smoother, higher quality viewing experience, including additional VGA support.

These features are just some of the new experiences gamers can expect on the system as part of this spring update. Get the full list of additional new features and improvements here .
Old 06-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts
Cool, gotta love free stuff that makes your 360 better.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:38 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Suite!
Old 06-06-2006, 02:36 PM
Safety Car

damn those are some pretty suite updates, I almost want to go buy a 360 right now.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:44 PM
intelligentsia

Location: Land of cheap vodka, hot girls, and great nightlife
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool i was wondering what that update was about.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Here is the full list: (125 updates)

NEW FEATURES

* “Download manager” - Marketplace items now download in the background, queue up to six pieces of content
* DVD bookmark support will remember the film’s timing and location when resuming viewing
* Fast-forward and rewind now offered at 2x -16x for any videos saved to hard drive
* “Boot to Dashboard” setting will bypass the loading of any disc in the drive and open directly to Dashboard during power-on
* Begin slideshows from any photo
* Music player saves “shuffle” setting
* Much player save “repeat” setting
* Music player now displays which file is currently playing in the playlist
* Music volume level persists between game / reboots
* 8 new locales added (Chile, Brazil, India, South Africa, Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic and Slovakia)
* Separate settings now offered for Game and User volume controls
* Themes can now be set from the “System” blade on the Dashboard
* User-selected music continues play when switching from Dashboard to game or game to Dashboard
* “All Arcade Games” added as a selection in the Xbox Live Arcade area
* Personal gamer pictures allowed as Gamertiles – displayed only to those on your Friends List
* Added support to disable sound effects when navigating Dashboard
* Instantaneous “Change Theme” option added upon downloading new Dashboard themes
* Preserve folder structure of source when viewing photos
* A / B labels now provided to identify memory units in Dashboard
* Online status set to “Away” when screensaver becomes active

SYSTEM IMPROVEMENTS.

DVD Player

* Improved audio/video sync after extended pauses
* Improved visual quality
* DVD player outputs at native resolution over VGA connection
* Improved playback smoothness
* Improved fast-forward and rewind smoothness
* DVD play continues to attempt to read a disc after “disc read” error
* DVD play ŕ Pause ŕ Play jitter / out of synch issues improved
* DVD play ŕ Slow Play ŕ Play jitter / out of synch issues improved
* Repaired issues with missing menu selection icon from DVD disc menu for certain films
* Improved Xbox 360 Guide efficiency during certain films
* Repaired playback stutter during certain films

Music Player

* Player now populates music data (Title, Artist, etc.) when no track information is available
* User music is now pauses, instead of stopping, when games override user-selected background music
* Selecting an artist’s <UNTITLED> album no longer displays <UNTITLED> albums for all artists
* Improved performance when retrieving playlists from a Windows Media connection
* List music tracks in track-order when viewing albums by specific artist
* Unified music controls for music player in Dashboard and pop-up Guide
* Improved playback for Mono AAC-encoded files
* Improved connection timing between console and CD database over Internet
* Player no longer allows hard-drive selection when no hard-drive is connected
* Removed handling of MTP/USB devices when playing music from them more robust
* Improved error codes / messaging associated with unplayable content

Localization Improvements

* Fixed partially truncated strings in Portuguese, Spanish and Italian
* Korean clock / date format corrected after initial set-up
* Fixed system hang when changing the language of the console immediately after signing out
* Korean virtual keyboard “down” navigation now works for lower-right button
* Korean virtual keyboard caps disabled for input mode
* Fixed overlapping characters for pre-paid Gold membership card (Japanese localization)
* Removed extra spaces in several translated words (French localization)
* PC name displayed properly when containing Japanese characters
* Support single apostrophe character for Japanese virtual keyboard

Memory Area Improvements

* Streamlined selection – no profile selection required
* Improved overall performance, allowing quicker access to content
* Improved content views including name, file type, size, profile owner and location
* Faster identification of file types and fewer steps for actions such as copy, move, delete, etc.
* Capacity (or percentage-full) of storage device now consistent between select-a-device and storage scenes
* Device selection now shown on each screen to improve usability

Miscellaneous System Improvements

* Time elapsed now displayed when playing music files
* Enhanced categorization of media library
* Accelerated scrolling of large music lists
* New “shuffle” icon
* Repeat / Shuffle icon now operates as toggle button
* Default button for manual IP address is now “A” instead of “Done”
* Hidden and system folders are no longer displayed from MTP / mass storage devices
* Difficulty levels for gamer profiles ordered correctly
* Added additional line and word-wrap to “Publisher” in video area
* Shuffle / Random no longer skips last image in list when viewing photos
* Improved handling of Friend Requests between Gamertags that have changed names
* No longer asked “Exist to Dash?” when switching between areas in the Dashboard
* New error messages for when Windows Live ID requires password change
* Unlocked Achievements now displayed first in Game Summary page
* Selecting an Achievement now shows the specific Achievement details
* Full date now displayed for “Member Since” and “Next Bill Date” tabs on Membership scene
* Updated messaging for deleting arcade games purchased by different profiles
* No longer launch music CD in disc-tray when moving from Live sign-up to Dashboard or Network Troubleshooter
* Improved voice quality when connected through wired gamepad
* Show “Last Played Game” selection in Xbox Live Arcade first before enumerating all games (when Arcade game was last game played)
* Improved performance of picture enumeration from iPods formatted for Mac
* Adopt latest updates to Cero-based ratings for Family Settings
* Show videos downloaded from Marketplace in the Video area of the Media blade
* Improved usability around “Play Now” when downloading demos, trailers and videos
* Added support for South Africa-specific Family Settings
* Updated support for Japanese game ratings
* Video area changed to include game trailers and entertainment videos
* Improved robustness of Gamerscore when doing account recoveries
* Improved messaging around handling corrupt or non-fully recovered profiles
* Improved download performance for popular content being downloaded through Marketplace
* Total USB keyboard support
* Testing Live connection while streaming music from PC works correctly
* Next item / Focus sound not played when scrolling past the bottom of the video list
* Handle profiles on memory units inserted into system while enumerating profiles from other storage locations
* Warning / Alert icons now show as part of deleting items in Memory area
* Repeat rate for remote control matches game controller repeat rate
* “A” button disabled when in a list with no items available
* Wireless battery level added to mini-pop-up guide over backward-compatible games
* Pop-up guide / Dashboard now supports USB keyboard
* Console no longer enters “charge” mode when shutdown and the battery has been removed from wireless controller
* System no longer waits indefinitely when attempting to contact Windows Media Connect service on XP PC
* Improved Marketplace storage device selector
* Correctly set focus on selected item when back button pressed on “select a game” scene
* Notify users when multiple wireless SSIDS with identical names are within reach
* Provide Gold membership information when trying to join a session or accepting game invites with Silver accounts
* New text to highlight the ability to clear the passcode for Live account signing
* Photo slideshow no longer resumes when pressing “previous” or “next” from paused state
* Improved handling of corrupt profiles when deleting them
* No longer turn off wireless gamepads after system update reboot
* More robust handling of initial setup experience for memory unit users
* Improved handling of backward-compatible update experience, reboot back into Xbox v1 environment instead of Dashboard
* Improved handling for "block communications" from other players
* Improved keypress sounds when using USB keyboard
* Improved usability and performance of content enumeration for storage devices
* Show visual location for where Xbox Live Arcade games reside
* Improved user messaging when overwriting content while copying
* Improved consistency of messaging between "sign out" and "switch profile"
* Updated troubleshooter text for connection to Windows PC's joined to domain
* Better support for Xbox 360 game disc recognition
* Improved initial setup text messaging
* Improved overall error message terminology
* Game updates downloaded to memory unit no longer show "please reinsert" notification when memory unit removed
* More robust support for handling game deletes from memory unit and simultaneously removing memory unit
* Improved system performance between console and affiliated Windows Media Connect PC
Old 06-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Suzuka Master

BTW, the biggest improvement is that it supposedly upscales DVD's to 720p when using the VGA connector. Luckily, my HDTV has a VGA connector in back, so I'll definitely be picking it up for a nice cheap upscaled DVD image.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Drifting

Received 240 Likes on 133 Posts
that is indeed pretty cool, but my favorite sofar is that it kept playing my music when going from the dashboard into a game.

Also having the option to boot directly to the dashboard insted of into a game first is kinda neat.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by cusdaddy
BTW, the biggest improvement is that it supposedly upscales DVD's to 720p when using the VGA connector. Luckily, my HDTV has a VGA connector in back, so I'll definitely be picking it up for a nice cheap upscaled DVD image.

Why would it only be via the VGA connector?
Old 06-06-2006, 09:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Silver™
Why would it only be via the VGA connector?
Not sure exactly but I think it has to do with rules from Hollywood.

Here are a few posts I found with detail:

Because the movie studios dont want it. They dont want a 1080i or so signal being broadcast over a non protected output like component. They want the option to shut you out if you are trying to copy it. If you look around some DVD sites like www.thedigitalbits.com and whatnot there is a long story floating around as to why they dont make any offical upscaling players through component. There are some that do, but most are remote hacks to enable it. It boils down to control, but hopefully they will relax it some now especially since the news of HDMI not being forced on BRD and HDDVD.
And VGA only makes it in because its grandfathered. So basically MS is exploiting a loophole to upconvert DVDs. I'm glad they're trying, at least.
Maybe The Sarlacc can provide more detail.

BTW, itt has been verified to upscale to 720p or 1080i over the VGA connector by Microsoft recently.

Here is an example with some screen shots:

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread...448394&page=10

Scroll to post 139
Old 06-06-2006, 09:44 PM
intelligentsia

Location: Land of cheap vodka, hot girls, and great nightlife
Cool I noticed better sound quality from playing my music through stereo speakers.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:52 AM
Still trolling

After I updated mine, I had to shut down to fly out ere to San Diego for the week. Can anyone determine if music can be played in regular XBOX games?
Old 06-07-2006, 10:46 AM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
Originally Posted by ghost_masterCL
damn those are some pretty suite updates, I almost want to go buy a 360 right now.
Im in the process of ordering my x2vga-2 now (HDTV-Monitor converter) and plan on using my 15% off coupon from Dell to buy a 360. Too many new games that I just have to play!
Old 06-07-2006, 02:09 PM
GÜNnµ ˇĎ

Originally Posted by suXor
After I updated mine, I had to shut down to fly out ere to San Diego for the week. Can anyone determine if music can be played in regular XBOX games?

I'll let you when I get home today. The only game I have from old Xbox is Halo 2. So if it works while playing this game that means it works for all.

But I will update my post around 7pm eastern.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
I'm loving the new update!
Old 06-08-2006, 01:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by suXor
Here's how you do it:

The "persistant music/volume level fix" from the Xbox 360's Spring Dashboard Update allows you to play your own music for Xbox 1 backwards compatible games. Here's all you need to do:

- Select your music from the Xbox 360's dashboard (on your harddrive, network, or cd) and start playing it.
- Insert a backwards compatible Xbox 1 game to play.
- The music will continue to play while it boots up.
- Turn down the in-game music from your Xbox 1 game, usually available in the in-game options menu.
- Use an Xbox 360 remote control to control the music (next/pause/play).

The Xbox 360 Dashboard will be unavailable, so you will need to use an Xbox 360 remote control to control the music being played in the background.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:59 PM
Drifting

works just as they say too, dang it's slick
Old 06-08-2006, 03:01 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
XBox 360 is the best purchase I've made in a while. This thing is fantastic.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:06 PM
GÜNnµ ˇĎ

SUXOR, LIKE CUSSDADY EXPLAINED. IT COULD BE DONE. FIRST START PLAYING YOUR MUSIC FROM DASH THEN INSERT GAME. AND WWHAAALAAA. LOL.

By the way CUSSdady. do you know if to boot to dash instead of game, we have to and chose this option. I got the update but still boots to game. I am pretty sure we have to enable this option to start at dash instead of game right?
Old 06-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Drifting

system, consol setings, startup.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by GunnmeTaLCURA04
SUXOR, LIKE CUSSDADY EXPLAINED. IT COULD BE DONE. FIRST START PLAYING YOUR MUSIC FROM DASH THEN INSERT GAME. AND WWHAAALAAA. LOL.

By the way CUSSdady. do you know if to boot to dash instead of game, we have to and chose this option. I got the update but still boots to game. I am pretty sure we have to enable this option to start at dash instead of game right?
Yeah, you have to enable that option. It's under the System Blade... Console Settings>>Startup.. Select Xbox Dashboard