bmw 850 ci vs. 3.2 nsx

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 02:25 AM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
bmw 850 ci vs. 3.2 nsx

Ok heres another inquisitive question for you guys...and i'll apologize ahead of time for pissing anyone off

What do you guys thing is a better buy: a used 850ci or a used 3.2 nsx? Assume they are both arround 1996, and, say, 50k miles each. I think the nsx is more expensive still, though they have comparable power (about 300 for the bimmer, and 290 for the nsx i believe, assuming 6-speed for both).

I've always loved the 8 series, but...300 hp from a v12?

Again im in no position to buy either of these two cars...im just curious what you guys think

P.S. if i've made some numerical errors, let me know (politely)
Old 12-03-2002, 06:47 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always loved the styling of the 8 series, but they were discontinued for a reason. I was heartbroken when I found out how many recalls were out there for that car. Apparantly they were built for shit.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:32 AM
Drifting

The 8 series is a beautiful car! The NSX is a nice performer and looks beautiful also. It's up to you...but I would probably take the NSX...more mod options. The 8 would be nice too because you don't see too many on the road, probably a lil more rarer than the NSX.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:40 AM
Moderator Alumnus

The 8 series was always a nice car, but you would be better off with an 840Ci......not as nose heavy, much less maintenance costs, basically just as quick (lighter). Unless you get an 850Csi, there is no reason to get a standard 850. The electronics in a 96 should ok, since it was late in the cars production cycle (was discontinued in 97)- early 8 series cars had some wacky electronic issues. Although, I'm sure a 96 will still have some problems here and there.

Also, parts for the 8 series are expensive......but so are an NSXs parts.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:56 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
850ci vs. NSX

Funny you bring this up because I was at this very situation about 4 years ago!!

I liked both cars... stylish, sporty and smooth. The BMW had the name and a very unique look. The NSX was still considered an Acura but looked much more exotic in my mind.

Looks aside... I looked at reliability and maintenance costs. The NSX was and always will be a Honda... so maintenance is only a $19.99 oil change. I did some research into the timing belt situation and what-not and decided I could haggle for that while negotiating the price. The BMW (V-12) had a bad reputation for engine problems... and I would not consider the 840ci.

Hence... I purchased the NSX and had a wonderful 3.5 years with it. I have absolutely no complaints about it except it doesn't handle worth shit in the rain!

I think when the new one comes out in the next two years or so and if my financial situation permits it, I will get it again - this time I don't think Honda is scrimping on the horsepower!
Old 12-03-2002, 10:16 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Gator CL-S
I always loved the styling of the 8 series, but they were discontinued for a reason. I was heartbroken when I found out how many recalls were out there for that car. Apparantly they were built for shit.
what kind of recalls were made for the car? how bad were they (i.e. MAJOR engine malfunctions, or minor things that could, in like 1 in 100,000, lead some some engine malfunctions)?

There are a couple of guys here on campus that drive arround 840's...in fact I was considering an 840 before buying my cls (course, it had 78k miles on it, and was arround $30k).

How does the handling of the 850 (or 840, which apparently is better) compare to the older nsx's?
Old 12-03-2002, 11:17 AM
Instructor

I know when I was doing research on these it was 4 years ago. I know they had electrical problems as Beltfed said. I know they also had some serious engine problems, but cannot recall what they were exactly.

My professor in college was given one by his son-in-law (who happens to be in the Black Crowes...and my professor's daughter is an Australian model.. very nice). Anyways, he got his taillight busted and never fixed it because it was too expensive. Then I would see it in the parking lot for months at a time. I asked him why he didn't drive it any day and he replied, "I would if I could keep the thing out of the shop." His engine blew up once and he lost a transmission.

Personally, what you would do is your decision. I wouldn't take just my word for it or others on this board. I would do HEAVY research on this car if you were serious about purchasing it.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:19 AM
Casual Observer

I had an opportunity to get some good seat time in an 850 back in 1996, though I don't know what year it was.

A good friend of mine had an M5 that he had taken into a BMW dealer in Newport Beach for service. Apparently they were putting the M5 on a lift and only had half the car on it. When the lift went up the car was basically tipped on its drivers' side and left resting there.

Long story short, when my buddy got there the manager pointed to the lot and asked him which car he wanted as an extended loaner. He chose a white 850....

....which we subsequently took on a road trip to Lake Havasu for spring break. We did one of these midnight drives through the desert and I had it in excess of 135 for an extended period of time, and while my memory is hazy I think I had it quite a bit higher than that for a stretch (like around 145 or something).

Anyways, I felt safe at speed in that car but somehow it just didn't excite me. I had really thought of the 850 as a dream car up until that point and after that I have never been too into them. It drove nicely at high speed but somehow it just didn't feel like a drivers car to me.

Either way, its a good looking ride and all, but I think the NSX would be a lot more interesting to own.
Old 12-03-2002, 03:13 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Gator CL-S
I know when I was doing research on these it was 4 years ago. I know they had electrical problems as Beltfed said. I know they also had some serious engine problems, but cannot recall what they were exactly.

My professor in college was given one by his son-in-law (who happens to be in the Black Crowes...and my professor's daughter is an Australian model.. very nice). Anyways, he got his taillight busted and never fixed it because it was too expensive. Then I would see it in the parking lot for months at a time. I asked him why he didn't drive it any day and he replied, "I would if I could keep the thing out of the shop." His engine blew up once and he lost a transmission.

Personally, what you would do is your decision. I wouldn't take just my word for it or others on this board. I would do HEAVY research on this car if you were serious about purchasing it.
naw im not thinking about buying the car...in fact im not going to buy a car for like 3 more years or so. I just wanted some good information like what has already been given (thx guys ). See, I often look online for various cars, but usually i just see numbers, not actual experiences. I want to satisfy my curiosity as to how the car handles, feels, and lasts. Obviously, the 8 series cant seem to last too long .

I guess in this case a super car made by honda is a good thing
Old 12-03-2002, 05:41 PM
Racer

I think allmotor_2000 has the reliability issue nailed ... Honda, err Acura NSX. However, I think the older models have less than 290 hp and are smaller displacement than 3.2L. Anyone through me a rope?

According to Roundel, the 8-series was the first car to be "drive by wire." I'll bet BMW was just ahead of its time with that technology and it created the mass recalls. I've also read (yeah, yeah I know) the 8-series had trouble with its tranny and they are extremely expensive to repair (~$10K?). In fact, 100K miles is approx its estimated lifetime!

I'd certainly buy the NSX, but covet the V12 850csi - which should've been a M8. I wanted an A4 Quattro, but got the CLS instead.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:13 PM
Racer

Great question, I was just looking at 850's on the Dupont Registry today.

Easy answer:
a) If it were to be my second car, the NSX.
b) If it were to be my only car, the 850.

Of course, I'd have to have a garage first before I'd consider owning either one. Surprisingly, I like the NSX's interior better. The leather always seemed really cool to me, and the one time I sat in it, it felt like a perfect fit. (5' 10" 160 lbs.) The CL feels a little big sometimes.

Wild card option: Used Aston Martin DB7.
Old 12-03-2002, 07:18 PM
Working with Lumberg.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by proactive

Easy answer:
a) If it were to be my second car, the NSX.
b) If it were to be my only car, the 850.

Good answer....
Old 12-03-2002, 10:45 PM
Safety Car

what exactly is the "drive by wire" system?
Old 12-04-2002, 12:08 PM
Grammar Police

Originally posted by bkknight369
what exactly is the "drive by wire" system?
I think it usually refers to 'throttle-by-wire', which means that instead of a mechanical connections (with cables and such) that connect the gas pedal to the engine throttle plate, there is just an electronic signal sent from the gas pedal to the ECU (or maybe it's not the ECU itself, but another computer chip). This computer chip then ELECTRONICALLY causes the throttle plate to move a specified amount.

The point here is that your gas pedal input is "mucked with" by the CPU before sending it to the engine, allowing it to add more or less gas for each pedal position depending on other conditions you couldn't know about (temperatures, A/F, traction control system, etc etc.).