Coolant type

Old 02-03-2014, 09:28 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coolant type

Exactly what type of coolant is used in the first generation RDX(07-12 models; mine is a 2011) and what is the best place to get a professional cooling system flush and refill done at a price that is less than the dealer? No, i dont really want to take a shortcut here in terms of keeping up on maintenance; but I do however; want to try and save a few bucks if i can as my dealer wants like $130+tax+parts which will probably add up to close to 150 to do it. OUCH!. Any info and or ideas would be great. Thanks, Matt
Old 02-03-2014, 10:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
My dealer charges around $100, but only does a drain-and-fill, not a flush. The Factory Manual describes only doing a drain and fill. If you can do an oil change yourself, you can drain/ fill the coolant. Don't be fooled by the title of the following thread - just read through it.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866714

I just replaced the coolant the second time last fall, and this time I did it in my garage. I found it easier than the first time, I suppose because I had done it once before. Since it was about 50 degrees outside, the engine warmed up in about 5 minutes, and cooled enough to remove the radiator cap in about 1/2 hours - just check the engine coolant temp gauge.
==========

Some dealers do use a chemical flush and machine, my dealer does not - they just drain-and-fill. Unless the coolant is very old and your radiator is corroded, there is no reason for a chem flush. Also, I don't trust a flush machine to actually remove all of the fluid, unless the mechanic really knows the job - will your dealer assign an actual mechanic to the job, or one of the unlicensed learners?
==========

All Honda/ Acuras use the same coolant - Honda Type II coolant p/n P/N OL999-9011(A) and the (A) will be on the Acura bottle - same stuff different labels. There are some *universal* coolants which are supposedly OK for Hondas, but only Honda dealer has the genuine stuff.

Last edited by dcmodels; 02-03-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:37 AM
Cruisin'

Well; with that other post in mind; how often; realistically; should the coolant be flushed and filled? because there is no way i can do it on my own as for one i do not have the tools to do it with; and for another; i dont have the facilities or the room to do it at my own residence a
Old 02-04-2014, 10:38 AM
Cruisin'

Well; with that other post in mind; how often; realistically; should the coolant be flushed and filled? because there is no way i can do it on my own as for one i do not have the tools to do it with; and for another; i dont have the facilities or the room to do it at my own residence as i live in a condo and it just would not work. Thanks Matt
Old 02-04-2014, 05:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, you posted in a DIY section of a forum, but I do understand that perhaps you are reluctant to try DIY. It can be daunting if you have never done any work on a car. So, this is not an attempt at persuasion, but just some observations.

Originally Posted by matts6887
Well; with that other post in mind; how often; realistically; should the coolant be flushed and filled? ...

Such questions have no simple answer, except to follow what is in your Owner Manual – which says wait 10 years for the first coolant replacement, and then every 5 years. I do it every 2 years – its your decision, as is every maintenance decision.

So, you have some basic choices don’t you, for any vehicle maintenance?
Ø Follow the owner manual, follow the dealer’s suggestions, or determine your own maintenance schedule (by reading and research)
Ø Have the dealer perform all maintenance (like my brother), or perform some or all maintenance yourself (like I do)

... and for another; i dont have the facilities or the room to do it at my own residence as i live in a condo and it just would not work. Thanks Matt

OK, I too live in a condo, and perform all DIY work on both my own cars there. I have been doing at least some maintenance for my cars for 50 years, and have never had a house, only apartments or condos. My current condo does have a garage. Before that, all maintenance was performed in the carport or driveway. I did once have a rental with a garage – that was always a first choice for me (a garage).

If you have a garage, then it can be done at a condo. Without a garage, I understand that it may not be practical for you.

So it’s a comparison of the extra cost of having a dealer perform your vehicle maintenance, or live somewhere more expensive with a garage and do your own work. Its also possible to rent a garage, which I have some friends who do that. Or I use my girl friends garage at her condo sometimes – it’s a two car and my own garage is a one car and not so nice.

By the way, my condo with a garage is cheaper than any house I could have purchased, at least, close to the city. Far out of the city, sure, a house would be cheaper, then the gas would be much more. See the trade offs? But I am certain you already know that.

... because there is no way i can do it on my own as for one i do not have the tools to do it with; ...

Here is how I do it at my own condo garage, which by the way, forbids working on cars. I do the work inside my garage, with the door shut. Not bad in the spring and fall – not so much in the summer (very hot) and winter (hot engine warms up the garage), but I have done it.

TOOLS required for coolant change (screwdriver, pliers, and a large tub):

1) funnel, to refill the radiator
2) large tub, into which to drain the radiator. I bought a large round plastic tub from Target, holds around 30 gallons
3) pliers or a screwdriver to open the radiator drain plug, or nothing if you have very strong fingers. I am old, and no longer as strong as when I was 25.
4) a flat blade screwdriver to remove the clips which hold the bottom splash pan on the RDX, or nothing if you choose not to remove that. Also a Phillips screwdriver if removing the splash pan.
5) once the new coolant has been poured into the radiator, pour the old coolant from the large tub, back into the original coolant gallon containers for recycling. Also, some empty laundry detergent bottles will work for recycling.
6) warm up the car in the garage, after the refill, WITH THE DOOR OPEN. My garage also has a people door, and is not connected to the condo. So cross ventilation when the car is running is nice.
7) the will and determination to do the job – no other actual physical tools required.

Sure, some other things would be nice, but nothing else required. Good luck, and feel free to ask if you have other questions or other jobs you wonder about.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:39 PM
Burning Brakes

One more thought for DIY work - my approach has always been, that if I screw up and cannot get the car to run after one of my *repairs*, the dealer is only 3 miles and a tow away.

As I say, I have been doing simple maintenance for 50 years, but also, I know my own limitations. I had to have my car towed twice in 50 years, and have saved much more than the cost of those tows ($50).

But really, its not about saving money for me, although my (ex)wife always said I am a cheap bastard. No, I just think that for simple stuff I do a better job than the dealer.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:06 PM
Burning Brakes

My local acura dealer currently has a special to replace coolant for $80 - and I receive these specials by email. You might check w/ your local dealer, and ask if you can sign-up for specials. Most vehicle brand dealers in my city offer such deals - I also get them from my Chevy dealer.