TSX or IS250 or TL Type-S??? Need your opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 12:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
TSX or IS250 or TL Type-S??? Need your opinions

hey guys, currently i own a 05 Acura TSX, AT but i will be selling it to my sister and will be purchasing a car sometime this month.

I first was looking at a 2008 G35 S Sedan 6 speed, but it was out of my price range and it was the only one in South Florida and the sales guy wont budge on the price even though its December 08 already. Anyways I was looking into the Lexus IS250 6spd at JM Lexus but I talked to the sales guy and he said that they would have to special order it and it would take a couple months before they can deliver it. I have always loved the styling of the IS but im not sure if i can wait that long for one.

I used to dislike the new generation TSX, mostly because of the grille but after seeing what color-matching can do, it is starting to grow on me. I found a 09 TSX 6spd w/ Tech Package. I know its great that it comes with everything less than the Lexus but it was my initial choice.

I also saw one Acura dealer near me still selling some remaining 08 TL Type-S which I am still interested in because of the deal I can get with it. But it wont be the most updated one.

Sorry for the long explanation but its killing me on what car I should get.

Which car do you think is the best choice?
Old 12-11-2008, 12:58 AM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
well....it really depends on what is imporant to you in a car and how much price is a factor. And say even, that you find a car with everything you want, for a good price, the car has to have that x-factor to make you love your car and baby it like it's your most prized possession. you have to buy the car that isnt the best on on paper, but the one you can make that x-factor connection with.

just my $0.02. i love my tsx so much right now i wouldnt trate it for a bmw or lexus or mercedes even if I had the chance

Last edited by ttk5; 12-11-2008 at 01:01 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:43 AM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kowloonsniperhk
hey guys, currently i own a 05 Acura TSX, AT but i will be selling it to my sister and will be purchasing a car sometime this month.

I first was looking at a 2008 G35 S Sedan 6 speed, but it was out of my price range and it was the only one in South Florida and the sales guy wont budge on the price even though its December 08 already. Anyways I was looking into the Lexus IS250 6spd at JM Lexus but I talked to the sales guy and he said that they would have to special order it and it would take a couple months before they can deliver it. I have always loved the styling of the IS but im not sure if i can wait that long for one.

I used to dislike the new generation TSX, mostly because of the grille but after seeing what color-matching can do, it is starting to grow on me. I found a 09 TSX 6spd w/ Tech Package. I know its great that it comes with everything less than the Lexus but it was my initial choice.

I also saw one Acura dealer near me still selling some remaining 08 TL Type-S which I am still interested in because of the deal I can get with it. But it wont be the most updated one.

Have you driven any of those cars? They are all in slightly different categories........

IS250 = RWD and I noticed you prefer the 6spd, I got the same deal when looking for the 6spd IS250, since they are not too popular they have to order it specifically for you.

TL-S = FWD, tuned suspension, 3.5L engine.......the S rides a lot stiffer than the normal TL, the 6 spd is smooth as butter, I loved my TL but it's a larger v6

TSX = FWD, 2.4L 4cyl less trq and less power than the TL, about the same power as the IS but it's still a 4cyl compared to the v6 and it is a FWD.

IS250 gets things like cooled seats and keyless smart key and the new 2009 models have updated tails and some other things.

TSX is the cheapest of all but also has a nice standard features.

I personally have a 2009 TSX Tech Auto and I love it (had to get the auto for the wife) but you can not compare it really to the monster v6 in the TL-S I think you should drive both.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:02 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do a side by side comparison on Edmunds and you will find that the outgoing TL specs for size are almost identical to the 09 TSX. The TSX was actually roomier in some categories. I had the same problem when I went to the dealer, he had a very nice 08 leftover TL. The money off the TL brought it down, but was still more than the TSX. Why get the same size car in an outgoing model that is doomed to higher depreciation once you roll it off the lot. Buying a 2009 in 2008 is as best you can do on a depreciable asset purchase. I looked at the IS, it was my first choice as well. The rear seat was a joke (I have 2 kids) and paying $4k more for the car just did not seem smart. Now that I have the TSX, I could not be happier. But each suits his own tastes. You'll need to drive each and see which one calls to your needs/wants. The G is a gasoholic and needs to go on a diet. jh
Old 12-11-2008, 07:52 AM
Racer

IMO, the IS250 is the best looking from the outside of the 3...roominess is sheit, interior fit and finish is average but the leather is freakin' soft and niiice.

08 TL-S and 09 TSX Tech - now that's a tough choice. One thing about the TSX is that this car looks badass on the road. I saw a Palladium Metallic one with like 19"s and holly shit it looked like a completely different car. Once a new model comes out I tend to forget about the "older" model pretty quick. I would get sick of the type-S pretty quickly, but that's just me.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:45 AM
Rarrrrrrrr!!!!!!

TL type-S FTW
Old 12-11-2008, 08:52 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Skip the IS250. I looked at one before going with the TL-S after having two TSXs and in all honesty, the IS has a poorly designed manual and is a terribly difficult car to find unless you are willing to buy whatever the dealer has. Plus, because they are so rare, dealers are hardly willing to budge on the price and you can just get so much more car for the price.

As for the TSX vs. the TL-S, I drove the new TSX after getting the TL-S and was very happy I made the decision I did. Mostly, this had to do with the steering feel more than anything else. The TSX interior is very innovative, but compared with the last generation TSX, there are some areas where corners were cut somewhat unnecessarily. And well, the exterior would take some real tweaking to get to where I would be happy.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:25 PM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Depends on what you want...the TL-S has the best performance, the TSX is loaded with gadgets, and the IS250 just look nice.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Banned

Yeah, I test drove a 3G TL-S auto and a 2G TSX 6MT back to back and it was the way in which the 2G TSX felt weightless and simple that sold me on it so fast. I abbreviated that test drive because I knew it was a winner within seconds. The other thing I liked about the new 2G TSX was the interior which has a multitiered layout, a radical gauge cluster and comfy seats while the TL has by definition dated styling and a bland, flat center stack with a nav screen you have to touch crammed in the middle.

The TSX's new low end torque band closes some of the performance gap which, if not in terms of track times atleast from a daily driving perspective. It's much easier to pull ahead of other cars than it used to be, no more reving it up to 6000 rpms just to access some power. I didn't think I would get another TSX and it was because of this that I didn't feel like I had to look elsewhere.

The only good thing I can say about the TL was that it does have a lot power, but then you have the torque steer. It's a little hard enjoying power when the car is trying to steer you off the road.

Last edited by wackura; 12-11-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

thanks for all the input, i actually did test drive all of them, thats where the dilemma started, it sort of like a little kid at a toy store, wanting to get everything but can only choose one. I've actually test drove the both the IS250 and IS350, i love the power in the 350 but it comes along with a hefty price tag, the IS250 is nice, the 6spd is alright, but I always loved the styling. I really like the IS because when I was driving my current car, I always said i wanted a RWD car.

With the TL Type-S, the interior looks exactly like my car but bigger and more power, i also love the styling compared to the 4G TL. I actually saw an ad in my local paper with a new TL Type-S for sale basically 10K off MSRP. I know I will be taking a hit in depriciation right when I drive off the lot.

With the new TSX, The interior will have to grow on me since I still prefer my simple nav layout in my old car with few buttons. But everything else, I really do like about the car. Its not a RWD and when I test drove it, it felt very bland compared to my current TSX but I guess in the future with more aftermarket parts coming out for the car, a change in suspension like what I have in my car would do the trick.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:00 PM
i-vtec soo good

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
No German choices?
Old 12-11-2008, 02:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SiRBLaughs
No German choices?
sorry no german choices. It's over my price range if I configure the way I want. I love the BMW 335i but basically it starts off at 40K at the car dealership. I also like the Audi A4 but heh the main german cars i love are the high ends like the BMW 7series, Audi S8, BMW ALPINA, BMW M3 M5 etc etc lol
Old 12-11-2008, 06:41 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If not being able to use Navi while driving, having the smaller engine, and a tiny backseat are not important to you then consider the Lexus. Otherwise comes down to whether you want an 09 TSX or a 'deal' on an old model. Choices should sort themselves out fairly quickly.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Banned

What's this about not using nav while driving?
Old 12-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
Originally Posted by wackura
What's this about not using nav while driving?
The Lexus/Toyota nav you can't mess with while the car is in motion.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:42 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just one of many reasons why they suck. I heard you can't initiate a Bluetooth phone call while driving, either. True?

Originally Posted by ESHBG
The Lexus/Toyota nav you can't mess with while the car is in motion.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

there is a bypass for the nav while driving on the lexus. no idea on the bluetooth
Old 12-11-2008, 08:05 PM
Instructor

I would go for the latest Audi A4, otherwise IS350 or TSX. The 250 is real slow and doesn't revv up like TSX, plus it has an image of being a girl's car.. I see only girls driving that midget vehicle in South Cal - no offense to anyone who owns it.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Instructor

Interesting article on IS250 -
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/200...-is250-review/
Old 12-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

I liked the Audi A4 but with the 3.2 engine but it puts it in the 40K range
Old 12-11-2008, 10:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
I liked the Audi A4 but with the 3.2 engine but it puts it in the 40K range
Either buy TSX or Audi A4.
A4 2.0T has 258 ft-lb of with 6 speed automatic transmission. Performance is similar to 3.2 V6 with excellent fuel economy.
Just buy A4 2.0T FWD with navigation/Leather. It should be around $35K-$36K. or u dont want to buy navigation. It becomes cheaper.
IS-250 is no match of new TSX/Audi A4. Just the style of IS-250 is not there.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
Either buy TSX or Audi A4.
A4 2.0T has 258 ft-lb of with 6 speed automatic transmission. Performance is similar to 3.2 V6 with excellent fuel economy.
Just buy A4 2.0T FWD with navigation/Leather. It should be around $35K-$36K. or u dont want to buy navigation. It becomes cheaper.
IS-250 is no match of new TSX/Audi A4. Just the style of IS-250 is not there.
Pay a few extra grands, like 2-3K more and get the new BMW 3 series, it's been slightly re-designed.. Right now with the economy, you can get a loaded 3 series for around 38-40K OTD (I'm talking about 328i)... I actually have a friend who just got one and it's an amazing car, infact now it's got me thinking about me trading my car sometime early next year for the 3 series...

If you can go for 3 series, then great, otherwise Audi A4, then TSX..
Spend the few extra grands, IMO you will be happier in the long run. Buying a car has lot of emotional factor, so go with what you like best and test drive everything.

Last edited by deznium; 12-11-2008 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:00 AM
Racer

TSX W/Tech
Old 12-12-2008, 02:34 AM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
RWD i250 FTW. somedays I wish honda/acura made more Rwd cars..
Old 12-12-2008, 06:32 AM
1st Gear

I sold an IS250 and "traded down" to an '09 TSX (cheaper in Australia than the Lexus, because it sells here as a "Honda Accord Euro"). Much happier with the TSX, and especially happy that I went for the manual shift. The IS250 got on my nerves from day 1: creaky dash (search the Lexus forums), lots of technology that didn't quite work, e.g., auto headlights that didn't turn on until really dark, real-time fuel consumption readout that was impossible to read, blind spots, eerily quiet but they forgot about the dash and the tyre noise on our coarse Aussie roads, low spoiler at front especially annoying after my wife crashed it into the kerb at our local supermarket, no 60/40 split rear seat, little power unless revved really hard. The TSX is better built, more fun and more practical, IMO.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:19 AM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm not going to bash the IS. Personally I like how it looks, It looks better IMHO than the 09 TSX.

But if you have the funds, only IS worth getting is the 350 due to hits rediculously powerful engine + RWD!
Old 12-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The IS250 was my first choice, but then the TSX came out last spring and it was the one. The IS lost out because similarly equipped to even a base TSX, it was going to run me about $5k more. Plus, the inability to find an IS with a manual tranny, lack of rear seat space, and the lack of a folding rear seat were the final nails in its coffin. The TSX is simply more car for less money. The German models are all overpriced for what you get, so they were never on my radar. If you can get a '08 TL for the same price of an '09 TSX, then it's worth considering. Barring that, I can't recommend the '08 TL over an '09 TSX. Whether you love or hate the redesigned '09 TL, it instantly makes the '08 look really dated. Who wants to buy a new car that looks old?
Old 12-12-2008, 04:06 PM
Intermediate

I just traded in my '05 TSX AT and picked up an '09 TSX 6MT . . .Go drive the '09 TSX . . .The 6spd really changes the character of the car (all for the better) . . .
Old 12-12-2008, 10:18 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
The IS is too damned small for me, but it's correct wheel drive. The TL-S has available mods and is quick yet forgiving.

Select which best suits you. Hell, I'd even ask a service dude to give me a loaner IS for the afternoon to see how it fits. The previous IS3 6MT was heavy, ergo underpowered for what it's supposed to be. Stock for stock I regularly ripped one a friend owned while in my old school Q45, so I was like...ehhh.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yea I think im pretty much set on the TSX. I might go check out the 3 series and the A4
Old 12-13-2008, 12:38 AM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
dont get an audi if you want a car for the long run. Audi's are built for european grade of fuel ..so after prolonged usage in north america...the differences in fuel and other things start taking a toll on the car.i hear there are alot of problems with audis even after a few years just due to the different types of fuel the car is supposed to take, and the fuel it will take (supposed to take european fuel, rather it takes american fuel) I may not be completely right on this but this is what i have heard. This may not be the cause of the problems, but there are plenty of problems with audis tehnical systems
Old 12-13-2008, 12:51 AM
Instructor

Get the TL-S, it is an amazing car hands down. If I had the money when I was getting my TSX, I would have definitely went for the TL-S.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:15 AM
Intermediate

Before closing the deal on my '09 tsx, I went to audi to drive the a4 (2.0T/AWD) . . .The car, overall, was nice and the engine moved, but I hated the stock seats (too flat, not enough bolsters) and by the time I loaded it up with everything the tsx tech had the damn thing was over 40K . . .also, there was no manual tranny available in quattro and I wanted to get back into a manual shift after not "driving" a car for 3+ years . . .so that sealed the deal . . .lastly the lease price for a high mileage lease at audi (25K/yr) blew and I just can't trust an audi or any other german car on a daily basis to do those kind of miles . . . .My '05 tsx was bullet-proof (as I expected) . . . .and that's all I have to say about that . . . .Good luck with your choice. . .
Old 12-14-2008, 09:22 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by quint001
<snip>I just can't trust an audi or any other german car on a daily basis to do those kind of miles . . . . .<snip>
Can I get an A-men?!?

I bought a 330ci M/T new in 02, by the time it was three years old I really looked forward to Christmas because then all my dash lights matched the tree.

It was so bad when I got rid of it when a clap of thunder during a storm occured, the sunroof opened.

Oh, and don't forget the stereo volume going *up* when the knob was turned *down*.

Never again.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:48 PM
1st Gear

dont even think about it anymore go with the type s for sure.i have one 2.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:57 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by CL6
Just one of many reasons why they suck. I heard you can't initiate a Bluetooth phone call while driving, either. True?

AFAIK, Acura and Hyundai are the only manufacturers that still allow the driver to use the navi and bluetooth while the car is moving.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:00 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
this is actually a pretty tough choice..i've always wanted the TL-S. fell inlove with the quad exhaust when i saw it.
the IS250 is nice though, i mean..it has about the same power as the tsx..but rwd and luxury features like cool seats and push starts and all those.
the tsx...man, its my first car so cant say i dont love it. kinda love/hate the grill at times. but everything is comfortable. but i think if i were to choose it would be
1. IS250
2. tl-s
3. tsx
Old 01-14-2010, 07:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
this thread is from 2008... i think he made up his mind by now
Old 01-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 007Acura
this thread is from 2008... i think he made up his mind by now

lol, maybe he is looking for his next car now!