Front seat comfort

Old 02-12-2010, 03:39 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front seat comfort

Fell in love with the TSX at first sit. Loved the front seats and the feel of steering wheel. I have noticed that the seats are very comfortable for short rides but over an hour and I feel sore after getting up. After 3 hours and I feel like I went 15 rounds. Didn't get the soreness after driving my old Tahoe or now my wifes Honda Oddessy. Anybody else notice this?
Old 02-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am the same.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have not taken a very long drive so far an hour is about the max in my TSX and to me the seats are the best in the industry. I assumed they would be on longer trip, I guess I need to see.

Are you a small person, regular or large? I can see that making a difference.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:09 PM
10th Gear

I'm 6'2 230. Big guy but comfortable for long rides in my old Tahoe and wifes mini-van. The seats are great short rides but a long ride and I feel roughed up.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they are too comfy, i fall asleep
Old 02-12-2010, 05:46 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2009tsx6mt
Fell in love with the TSX at first sit. Loved the front seats and the feel of steering wheel. I have noticed that the seats are very comfortable for short rides but over an hour and I feel sore after getting up. After 3 hours and I feel like I went 15 rounds. Didn't get the soreness after driving my old Tahoe or now my wifes Honda Oddessy. Anybody else notice this?
Well, the Tahoe and Oddessy are both SUVs/minivans. They have taller seats and deeper leg space. You are downsizing to a sport sedan, with a compacted cabin. Theres definately gonna be some time to adapt.

I like the seats, they are comfortable, but yeah, they definately aren't heavy duty.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:46 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by 2009tsx6mt
After 3 hours and I feel like I went 15 rounds.
Sometimes I think too many adjustments make it harder to get comfortable. It pisses me off for weeks if the dealer tech moves it then disconnects the battery (or runs it dead.)

Originally Posted by Cylanth
I like the seats, they are comfortable, but yeah, they definately aren't heavy duty.
Hey, I resemble that remark.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:46 PM
2010 6MT non-tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think the 2nd gen seats are 100 times more comfortable than the 1st gen seats, but that's just me. i think there's just more padding all around, from the bolsters (which are still supportive) to the headrest (SO soft).

some people are good fits for these honda seats, and some people aren't. in the past 6 years, i've been taking 6-12 hour road trips in the RSX, 1st gen TSX, S2000, and now 2nd gen TSX, and even though all of them are pretty comfortable, this TSX is by far the most comfy.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
Man, I wonder if we're talking about the same car. I would definitely not use the word "soft" to describe the headrests in my '09.

I love sitting in my car while driving 15 minutes to work. Today I had to sit in traffic to visit family across the bay. After the first hour the rear-end starts hurting and then the lower back and then there is no going back to being comfortable.

It's been the same ever since I've had the car. Any long road trips, forget about it...
Old 02-13-2010, 01:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
I spend over an hour each way to work 5 days a week, no complain whatsoever. The longest trip in the car was 4 hours with no problem at all. Easily one of the most comfortable seat around.

But I agreed with HD, you need to find the right adjustment to get the proper fit.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
+1, the seats hurts my lower back on long trips
Old 02-13-2010, 01:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 09TSXTech
I spend over an hour each way to work 5 days a week, no complain whatsoever. The longest trip in the car was 4 hours with no problem at all. Easily one of the most comfortable seat around.

But I agreed with HD, you need to find the right adjustment to get the proper fit.
That's a good point, I can't seem to find an optimal adjustment to the seat as well as the steering wheel. For example, the way I have the steering wheel now I cannot easily see the turn-signal indicators as the top of the steering wheel blocks my view of them. If I move the wheel up I can see the indicators, but then the wheel is too high.

I'd like to think that it's my own ineptness at finding a proper adjustment that's causing my discomfort. Perhaps I'll just close my eyes, hold my breath, and try a *gasp* new adjustment and see how it goes...

Edit: And actually, the steering wheel was one of the major reasons I got this car.

Last edited by MrOtocinclus; 02-13-2010 at 01:27 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
I have had problem with the steering wheel adjustment also until I found out it's telescopic (not just up/down but pull forward and push back adjustment- Note to self, read the manual). Couple that with the 8 way adjustable seat, it's just perfect for me now. It did take a week or so making minor adjustment here and there to get it right.

Again, like HD said, I would be pretty upset if someone clear the memory and move the seat around.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:48 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CU2MIKE
yes, this is exaclty how I describe it.

Guys, do you all have the lumbar support? It is pissing me off. I will try to sit to the front passanger seat, because it hasn't it, maybe this is the issue. I am 181 cm tall, and the lumbar support is too hard and too high for me, and the seat is constantly breaking my back.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:58 AM
10th Gear

I will say that I went on cruise for 7 days. Couldn't wait to get back in the car and ride some of the hills around here with the 6 speed. Felt good to get in that seats again. Think it may be Acura as I had a loaner RDX and had the same problem after an hour in the seats. My wifes Oddessy doesn't take much adjustment and I'm fine on long rides. Not perfect but much better than TSX.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:12 AM
2010 6MT non-tech

Originally Posted by MrOtocinclus
That's a good point, I can't seem to find an optimal adjustment to the seat as well as the steering wheel. For example, the way I have the steering wheel now I cannot easily see the turn-signal indicators as the top of the steering wheel blocks my view of them. If I move the wheel up I can see the indicators, but then the wheel is too high.

I'd like to think that it's my own ineptness at finding a proper adjustment that's causing my discomfort. Perhaps I'll just close my eyes, hold my breath, and try a *gasp* new adjustment and see how it goes...

Edit: And actually, the steering wheel was one of the major reasons I got this car.
yeah, i know what you're talking about with the steering wheel; i have the same problem. if i move it up too much, it lets me see everything, but i don't like it when it's that high. so i move it down and can't see the corners of the tach and speedo. i can live with that though, since i don't drive 120 mph.

the one thing about nissan/infinitis that i like is that the gauges move when you tilt the wheel up/down.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:14 AM
2010 6MT non-tech

Originally Posted by MrOtocinclus
Man, I wonder if we're talking about the same car. I would definitely not use the word "soft" to describe the headrests in my '09.

I love sitting in my car while driving 15 minutes to work. Today I had to sit in traffic to visit family across the bay. After the first hour the rear-end starts hurting and then the lower back and then there is no going back to being comfortable.

It's been the same ever since I've had the car. Any long road trips, forget about it...
i don't know, did the interiors change at all from 2009 to 2010? i can't see how they would have changed it in the first two years.

anyway, just like shoes or a suit, i guess the car is not going to fit everyone perfectly. do you think maybe it's your driving posture too? also, how tall are you/what's your weight (if you don't mind me asking)? just wondering.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:57 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The seats are OK the seat in my 2001CLS where 3x better though..
Everyone that ever drove or sat in the driver seat of the CLS always commented on how GREAT the seats where.. I kinda miss those seats!
Old 02-13-2010, 11:44 PM
Advanced

I drive 2 hours roundtrip to work every day. I had looked at a Nissan Maxima, Honda Accord, and the TSX. I bought the TSX because the seats were amazingly comfortable for me (5'9", 200lbs). The just feel like they are perfectly contoured and wrap around my body. I don't feel any discomfort after driving for an hour at all.

I also have a 2005 Odyssey. Those seats are definitely designed to hold a much bigger person. I find myself sliding in the leather seats on hard turns. The seats in my 1998 Accord weren't as contoured either.

I have found that Japanese cars tend to have firmer seats than American car companies. I've sat in cars from Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Pontiac, Toyota, Honda, Acura, Lexus, and Nissan. The Ford/Dodge/Chevy/Pontiac seats were always more plush and comfortable.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:36 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
I had a loander 1G TSX while I was waiting for my 2G. I sat *on* those seats, I sit *in* these.

I did a tour de force through 4 states in 4 days Christmas 08 and I was totally comfortable the whole trip.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by frescagod
i don't know, did the interiors change at all from 2009 to 2010? i can't see how they would have changed it in the first two years.

anyway, just like shoes or a suit, i guess the car is not going to fit everyone perfectly. do you think maybe it's your driving posture too? also, how tall are you/what's your weight (if you don't mind me asking)? just wondering.
It's possible. I came from a '98 Camry and the first thing I noticed was how "high" the seat was, so I set the seat to its lowest setting. I also prefer to sit with my back straight, but as was mentioned in another old thread, when you try to do that the headrest pushes your head forward and it becomes quite uncomfortable.

I have noticed from renting various cars over the years that the driver's seat has gotten higher, even at the lowest setting. Perhaps I should try not using the lowest setting and adjusting everything else from there.

The only problem is that I don't go on long drives very often, so it's hard to test any new settings. I'll just have to remember the next time I go on a long drive to adjust the seats beforehand.

I'm 5'9" 160.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:08 PM
Instructor

I find that i have to put the seat down all the way, back a bit farther and recline a bit more so i don't feel like my head is going to hit the roof. I could use a little longer cushion in the front for more thigh support. But apart from the bolsters being too narrow for me (i have what doctor's call a little bit of a weight problem), I find the seats to be generally comfortable. I took this car on a 10 hr drive down to FL and it was fine once my ribcage got used to the squeezing from the bolsters.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:52 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by CU2MIKE
same for me.
I haven't tried any long trip yet. For my short trips (30min) to work every day, the driver seat is comfy enough though not for the lower back. Also have problem with the headrest at its default location; haven't been able to figure out how to deal with it yet...
Old 02-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Instructor

I was fiddling with the seat settings today and I think I identified the problem in my case. Probably it is not caused by the lumbar supporter, as I thought - I tried to sit to the passengers seat, which has not the supporter and I think it is no difference. The problem is in the seat design overall. I just cannot explain it good with my English, but what I know for sure is, that my back is cracked.

The seat has some sort of "bulge" on it, it has a shape, and this is all wrong. The bulge (lol I hope I am using this word correctly) is too high, and it pressures to my back in one spot. And because this suspension is so hard, every imperfection on the road is transmitted via the bulge to my back. Combined this with bad roads we have, I am pissed of after 10 minutes and dead in 20 minutes of driving - and BTW I think this is also the reason, why we feel sick. All is about the back and the backbone, remember!

I am very average person, 181 cm @ 75 kg. I just cannot enjoy my TSX, because each drive is a pain!

Only good point on this is, that I absolutely forgot "non-important" things like pinging or tucked wheels
Old 02-16-2010, 08:50 PM
2010 Acura TSX

I thought I was the only one. I see many other people experience the same problems with back pain.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

I raised my seat a little higher and adjusted the steering wheel. At least now I can see my dash indicators, although I do feel a little like I'm driving a minivan with the increased seat height.

We'll see what this does for long term comfort...
Old 02-17-2010, 07:20 AM
Instructor

UPDATE:

today I tried nearly every position available and focused really hard to everything. I have pain no in the lower back, but between scapulae. And I have two news - the good is that I found at 99% the problem, the bad is that it probably cannot be solved.

The thing is, that the seat has good side-support, but this support is going to high and deep. I have athletic body and V-shaped back, and the problem is, that in the higher back, the seat is too tight in my shoulders area, and this squeezes my back. I am not leaning at my back, but my shoulders! I did a primitive diagram, comparing Benz seats and BMW seats, you can easily see what I am talking about.

I am guessing that thin people haven't this problem because they are not limited by the side-supporters, and people with more body fat is probably ok too, because their fat simply fill the gap between the seat and theirs back.

Maybe they designed this for more subtle people in Japan, who knows... Now, what the hell should I do?
Old 02-17-2010, 08:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HHCZ
I have athletic body and V-shaped back, and the problem is, that in the higher back, the seat is too tight in my shoulders area, and this squeezes my back. I am not leaning at my back, but my shoulders!
HHCZ, I'm with you 100% on this. When I first drove this version Accord over a year ago, the first thing I noticed was how those little 'wings' pushed my shoulders forward. Like you, I'm neither fat nor thin (180cms & 190lbs) and, because I'm into weight training, I too have wide shoulders and back but a smallish waist.

If it's any help, as with all the other faults on this car, you eventually learn to adapt. The majority of people in the UK are fat so I guess they never notice this problem.

If that pic is of your actual interior, how the **** do you keep those seats clean!
Old 02-17-2010, 08:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SilverCU3
HHCZ, I'm with you 100% on this.
Superb, so we know where is the problem I am also workout in a gym so here we are. Today I am going to do heavy squats at first time since have the car (and broken back) so if I will never log in to the board, please tell my mum that it was Honda, who actually killed me!

The majority of people in the UK are fat so I guess they never notice this problem.
Haha

If that pic is of your actual interior, how the **** do you keep those seats clean!
I took if from google, but have exactly the same interior. I like a black exterior combined with light interior. If I have light exterior, then a dark interior. Black ex+light int is the most difficult to keep clean, but I think it is worth of!
Old 02-17-2010, 09:04 AM
Instructor

HHCZ, try experimenting with the lumbar support and varying the seat position. Do you know that the front and the rear of the seat base can be tilted individually by lifting/pressing down the adjustment button at the front or rear? Also, driving posture can help. Keeping both hands on the wheel whilst driving pulls your shoulders forward slightly, thereby lessening the effect of the 'wings'.

You can't totally eliminate the problem, but you can make it much more acceptable if you find the right setting
Old 02-17-2010, 09:17 AM
Instructor

HHCZ, try experimenting with the lumbar support and varying the seat position. Do you know that the front and the rear of the seat base can be tilted individually by lifting/pressing down the adjustment button at the front or rear? Also, driving posture can help. Keeping both hands on the wheel whilst driving pulls your shoulders forward slightly, thereby lessening the effect of the 'wings'.

You can't totally eliminate the problem, but you can make it much more acceptable if you find the right setting
Yes, I know... I found that if I have my left arm on the edge of the door and window (remember I have the steering wheel on the left), my body is a bit turned and then my back is OK. BUT you cannot drive like this all the time, because I have the seat to the lowest position and after a while my arm is a pain. Oh my God
Old 02-17-2010, 11:46 AM
Intermediate

I was fiddling with the seat settings today and I think I identified the problem in my case. Probably it is not caused by the lumbar supporter, as I thought - I tried to sit to the passengers seat, which has not the supporter and I think it is no difference. The problem is in the seat design overall. I just cannot explain it good with my English, but what I know for sure is, that my back is cracked.

The seat has some sort of "bulge" on it, it has a shape, and this is all wrong. The bulge (lol I hope I am using this word correctly) is too high, and it pressures to my back in one spot. And because this suspension is so hard, every imperfection on the road is transmitted via the bulge to my back. Combined this with bad roads we have, I am pissed of after 10 minutes and dead in 20 minutes of driving - and BTW I think this is also the reason, why we feel sick. All is about the back and the backbone, remember!
HHCZ, how much test driving did you do before buying the car? Did you notice any back problems during your test drives?

How has your ownership driving experience differed from your test drive ones?
Old 02-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Instructor

I had two test drives, about 15 min each. It was the best what I could get. But, here in the asshole of the world in Czech, there was NONE 2.4 AT, so the first time I tested 2.4 manual, and second time 2.2 diesel AT.

It was a new car, there was so much to focus at! I was impressed by the comfort - both suspension and seats. But before TSX I had even more sportier car, so maybe I was to much calibrated to my car.

I bought the car, and on the way home I started to be disappointed with the ride and seats, but I wasn't at panic, because everything was new so I thought I must simply used to my new car.

Then I started to post here at this BTW very good forum, and as you can see, many people are saying that they feel the same. The most important thing is, how choosy you are. I am very nitpicking, and I simply cannot have some thing that expensive, which is with faults that pissing me off. But for example, my car pings, but I have NO problem with that, If I didn't read about pinging at the forum, I didn't even notice this - and some people nearly killed themselves because of that. And other people said that the TSX is supreme comfortable, and I cannot drive it for 10 minutes... You have the luck that you joined after we discuss it and you can focus on it...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...4#post11750584

minal, I am not telling you don't buy it. But, since you come with this right question about the comfort, if I have been you, I would be very wary.

Last edited by HHCZ; 02-17-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts
buy some racing seats. haha
Old 02-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Instructor

two things:

- aribags
- warranty
Old 02-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Drifting

two things:

- aribags
- warranty
yea maybe you can take it to a local upholstery shop where they can add extra internal padding or something to make it more comfortable and restitch the leather.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by defconskylude
yea maybe you can take it to a local upholstery shop where they can add extra internal padding or something to make it more comfortable and restitch the leather.
this is quite a good idea
Old 02-17-2010, 04:01 PM
Instructor

Guys, can you think of any product to improve the ergonomics? I can't find anything.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Drifting

try the floating foam noodles that's used for swimming pools

i have upper back problems and i bought this firm foam from a sports shop to keep my back and posture straight at work. the foam noodles are smaller and bendable.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Instructor

I spoke with a guy, and he told me that for 300 bucks can get rid of the "wings" (he said that it is ears lol). So now is the question...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front seat comfort