And the TL is no more...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 11:17 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jterp7
that's not too bad for a V8 exec saloon. Also, I seem to fill up at around the same mileage in the TL, thanks to stop and go commute lol.
I don't do much stop and go, a lot more highway than anything. I'd say 70% highway, the rest isn't even considered city since I live in a suburb and rarely ever get stuck in traffic.

I think the 8 speed helps, at least I want to believe it does. Might do a semi long distance trip in the next few weeks. It will be nice to see how well it does on mileage on an all highway trip.

Also, replaced those awful Goodyear run flats with the Michelin Sport AS3 today. What a difference. Ride quality is much better and the road noise is down significantly. Man I hate run flats. Now I need to look into a spare since the car doesn't have one....
Old 07-15-2014, 02:30 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

The main purpose of Run-flats is to get rid of the spare tire.

They are no good at anything.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:43 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
NICE!!! i'm so jealous right now...

would you mind letting us know the financials? how much you got for trade in...final price for the 550...stuff like that.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ant$
NICE!!! i'm so jealous right now...

would you mind letting us know the financials? how much you got for trade in...final price for the 550...stuff like that.
Got $23k for the TL and bought the 550 for $47k.

The interior of the TL was great, exterior not so much. It had some minor hail damage, door dings, and the front and rear bumps had some marks on them from light damage. The tires were also in need of replacement. With 60k miles on it, I'm a little surprised I got that much for it.

The 550 was low on miles, just 15k. It also had prepaid maintenance on it.
The following users liked this post:
Ant$ (07-23-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 08:07 PM
Instructor

Also, I did a small mod to the car (got some more stuff coming tomorrow).

Before:
Name:  2014-07-15102034_zps7f35d405.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  116.6 KB

After:
Name:  2014-07-15104635_zpsdb4fc4f8.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  102.5 KB
Old 07-22-2014, 08:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
Keep us up to date, I absolutely love the 550 and would like to keep hearing back about your experiences with it and how it compares over time to the TL.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Love what you did with grill.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Heban83
Love what you did with grill.
Thanks, I can't believe how easy it was to install. Took me about 10 minutes total.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by slick316
Got $23k for the TL and bought the 550 for $47k.

The interior of the TL was great, exterior not so much. It had some minor hail damage, door dings, and the front and rear bumps had some marks on them from light damage. The tires were also in need of replacement. With 60k miles on it, I'm a little surprised I got that much for it.

The 550 was low on miles, just 15k. It also had prepaid maintenance on it.
nice. wish i was able to swing that.

my 2010 shawd only has 39000 miles with a couple of dings and so far i've only been able to get $17K for it

keep posting pics and vids, man....i want to live vicariously through you. LOL.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:21 PM
Instructor

nice. wish i was able to swing that.

my 2010 shawd only has 39000 miles with a couple of dings and so far i've only been able to get $17K for it

keep posting pics and vids, man....i want to live vicariously through you. LOL.
I think they were just eager to get rid of the 550, so they offered me a good amount on my car.

And come on man, you still have a sweet ride
Old 07-23-2014, 07:28 PM
Instructor

I got my painted front and rear reflectors in today, only had time to do the rears since they were so easy.

Before:
Name:  IMG_20140723_130730_zpsrhcirudi.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  95.8 KB

After:
Name:  7b73fd90-5d4e-4588-af27-dd85a11d73ab_zps1b5a27b4.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  100.7 KB

I'll do the fronts tomorrow morning when its cooler, they require a little bit more effort.

Also plan on getting a lip spoiler, M5 front sway bar and powder coating the wheels black.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:25 PM
Racer

SWEET!!!

wonder if this thread needs to be moved to the Car Talk forums...

have you joined any BMW forums? I wanted to see their opinions on your mods...
Old 07-26-2014, 01:27 PM
Instructor

SWEET!!!

wonder if this thread needs to be moved to the Car Talk forums...

have you joined any BMW forums? I wanted to see their opinions on your mods...
I joined bimmerfest, but haven't really posted. Those guys are doing the same things to their cars, even more actually, so I doubt they'll be impressed by what I did, lol.

All my ideas on what to do are coming from them, and boy do these guys go all out on some of there mods.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:49 PM
Acura drove me away too..

Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts
Congrats... But I'm logging off now bc you guys aren't helping my new car itch. Just when I was content with my TLS
Old 07-30-2014, 12:01 AM
Instructor

I've had the car for over 3 weeks and have logged 1200 miles on it, so I thought I'd give you guys a quick comparison of it with the TL (basically a rundown of what I miss and what I like).

1) I miss the ELS sound system. Its noticeably better than the crap thats in the 550. I have ordered some replacement speakers from a company called bavsound that makes drop in, plug and play speakers for the F10 platform. But even that's not going to make it sound anything like the TL.

2) I miss the up front storage. I really miss that little tray that slides out of the armrest. BEST. IDEA. EVER. Seriously, you never know how awesome something is until its gone. I have to either keep my phone in the crappy cup holder or in my pocket. Storage in reach of the driver on the 550 is no where near as convenient as the TL. Miss the sunglass holder also.

3) I already complained about the crappy cup holders in the 550. We all know how great the ones in the TL are, no explanation needed here.

4) I miss the trip B counter automatically resetting after a fill up. I keep forgetting to reset it in the 550 manually so I am never sure of my mileage whenever I fill up. Even though I get sad about the mileage on the new car, I still need to track it.

5) I like that the car is much smoother now. It really started to bother me when my AC compressor kicked on and the TL "shuddered" a little, sending a vibration throughout the cabin. The dealer called it normal. Although the jerky transmission "issue" is still here. I always felt the TL had a clunky transmission. Shifted oddly at low speeds. But so does the 8 speed ZF in the 550. Not only that, it shifts too often. By 30mph I'm in 5th. The ZF shifts quickly, no doubt about that, but its still an auto and has its quirks.

6) I like that the BMW has a decent size trunk with a large opening, along with fold down rear seats. This is something that I hope the TLX has, because I never noticed how inconvenient the trunk in the TL is until I got back into a car with a proper boot (I went British on y'all right there).

7) I like the voice commands better on the BMW. I was able to tell the car a full address, all at once and it recognize everything I said on the first try. Quite impressive.

8) I like the shortcut buttons on the radio. They look like your standard preset buttons, but they're not. You can set them to your favorite radio stations, or set one to a playlist on your iPod, or have one as your home address so if you ever wanted to find your way home, hit that shortcut and the nav will set the destination to home automatically. Any screen on the iDrive can be set as a shortcut.

9) I like the heads up display. When a destination is set, its so nice to have the directions and distances right in front of you. Never take your eyes off the road. Its a really cool feature.

10) I like all of the little things that the compulsive Germans have thought up. Opening the trunk with your foot because your hands are full. Or how about adjusting the seat heater distribution, maybe you want more back heat and not so much butt heat? You can adjust that. I found this out the other day by accident. Lets say you start the car, have the door open still, put it in drive and then let off the brake and allow the car to roll. What happens then? The car stops and applies the parking brake and informs you to be careful of what you are doing. I wasn't. I mindlessly let it roll. Good thing its smarter than me. There are a ton of little things like that on this car.

11) I LOVE THE POWER. Never had such a powerful car. With all that torque, even at highway speeds, the car doesn't have to downshift much, if at all, to give you passing power. The engine is amazing. Makes me wonder if I'd ever be satisfied with a V6 again (maybe a nice supercharged Audi V6).

Overall I love it. I should have the spoiler and M5 front sway bars next month and the speakers should be here Thursday. After that, no more spending on the car for a while. If anyone has any specific questions, pic requests, whatever, feel free to ask.
The following 2 users liked this post by slick316:
Ant$ (07-31-2014), HeartTLs (08-01-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 12:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
I've had the car for over 3 weeks and have logged 1200 miles on it, so I thought I'd give you guys a quick comparison of it with the TL (basically a rundown of what I miss and what I like).

1) I miss the ELS sound system. Its noticeably better than the crap thats in the 550. I have ordered some replacement speakers from a company called bavsound that makes drop in, plug and play speakers for the F10 platform. But even that's not going to make it sound anything like the TL.

2) I miss the up front storage. I really miss that little tray that slides out of the armrest. BEST. IDEA. EVER. Seriously, you never know how awesome something is until its gone. I have to either keep my phone in the crappy cup holder or in my pocket. Storage in reach of the driver on the 550 is no where near as convenient as the TL. Miss the sunglass holder also.

3) I already complained about the crappy cup holders in the 550. We all know how great the ones in the TL are, no explanation needed here.

4) I miss the trip B counter automatically resetting after a fill up. I keep forgetting to reset it in the 550 manually so I am never sure of my mileage whenever I fill up. Even though I get sad about the mileage on the new car, I still need to track it.

5) I like that the car is much smoother now. It really started to bother me when my AC compressor kicked on and the TL "shuddered" a little, sending a vibration throughout the cabin. The dealer called it normal. Although the jerky transmission "issue" is still here. I always felt the TL had a clunky transmission. Shifted oddly at low speeds. But so does the 8 speed ZF in the 550. Not only that, it shifts too often. By 30mph I'm in 5th. The ZF shifts quickly, no doubt about that, but its still an auto and has its quirks.

6) I like that the BMW has a decent size trunk with a large opening, along with fold down rear seats. This is something that I hope the TLX has, because I never noticed how inconvenient the trunk in the TL is until I got back into a car with a proper boot (I went British on y'all right there).

7) I like the voice commands better on the BMW. I was able to tell the car a full address, all at once and it recognize everything I said on the first try. Quite impressive.

8) I like the shortcut buttons on the radio. They look like your standard preset buttons, but they're not. You can set them to your favorite radio stations, or set one to a playlist on your iPod, or have one as your home address so if you ever wanted to find your way home, hit that shortcut and the nav will set the destination to home automatically. Any screen on the iDrive can be set as a shortcut.

9) I like the heads up display. When a destination is set, its so nice to have the directions and distances right in front of you. Never take your eyes off the road. Its a really cool feature.

10) I like all of the little things that the compulsive Germans have thought up. Opening the trunk with your foot because your hands are full. Or how about adjusting the seat heater distribution, maybe you want more back heat and not so much butt heat? You can adjust that. I found this out the other day by accident. Lets say you start the car, have the door open still, put it in drive and then let off the brake and allow the car to roll. What happens then? The car stops and applies the parking brake and informs you to be careful of what you are doing. I wasn't. I mindlessly let it roll. Good thing its smarter than me. There are a ton of little things like that on this car.

11) I LOVE THE POWER. Never had such a powerful car. With all that torque, even at highway speeds, the car doesn't have to downshift much, if at all, to give you passing power. The engine is amazing. Makes me wonder if I'd ever be satisfied with a V6 again (maybe a nice supercharged Audi V6).

Overall I love it. I should have the spoiler and M5 front sway bars next month and the speakers should be here Thursday. After that, no more spending on the car for a while. If anyone has any specific questions, pic requests, whatever, feel free to ask.
Great thanks for the comparison, sounds like the TL is the superior automobile....NOT
Old 07-31-2014, 04:41 PM
Racer

wait...the tray slides out?? LOL...damn, i have to go into the manual and figure out how to do this...HAHA
Old 07-31-2014, 06:04 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
the more you know haha...my wife found the tray a couple weeks ago cleaning out the trash in the cupholders lol
Old 07-31-2014, 11:59 PM
Instructor

wait...the tray slides out?? LOL...damn, i have to go into the manual and figure out how to do this...HAHA
That was the first thing I noticed about the car. Fiddled with it a lot. Basically showed it off to my friends and as simple as it was, it never failed to impress.

Everyone has a cell phone, but most cars don't seem to have a decent spot for it.