3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY installation of Daytime Running Lights**with detailed pictures** 3G Garage #G-067

Old 06-11-2006, 11:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by weedeater
Some additional points.

1. It's a good idea to put a rag or cloth down in that hole that you pull the tube from. This is the air intake. This will keep you from dropping any parts down in there. (Don't ask me how I know.)

2. Do the battery hookup (red wire) last, or pull the fuse. This keeps everything unpowered until you are finished.
I actually removed that tube you are talking just until the stock intake resonator. I have it sucking in the air from the wheel well area.

Which fuse do I pull?
Old 06-11-2006, 11:59 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I called AutoBarn on Friday about this product and they said they are out of stock and have not even put in an order for more of them yet. He also said he does not know when they are going to make another order and that even when they do, it will be at least a few weeks from that time before they receive them.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:57 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by aznbo187
Which fuse do I pull?
I believe weedeater meant the fuse of DRL module (on the red 12V wire).
Old 06-12-2006, 01:13 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just installed mine yesterday. The most time-consuming part for me was getting all done and then finding that I couldn't fit the cover back over the intake tube because the module was interfering. I had to unbundle all the wires and move it up about 3/8" and rotate it 90 degrees so the stock parts could all go back in place. I should've checked for that before looming it all up nice and tidy.

Mine, as others have said, does not have the wire loop that controls the delay. However, they turn on after about five seconds and take between 15-30 seconds to shut off. That behavior is fine for me, so I probably won't open the case to change it.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:08 PM
Instructor

I will also mention that this device is more than just a simple relay. It is running the lights at a reduced power level which a simple relay won't do (unless you rewire the lights and put the bulbs in series).

From listening to the box (it makes a whining sound), I think it acts like a dimmer and chops the power to the bulbs electronicly.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:33 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Originally Posted by weedeater
I will also mention that this device is more than just a simple relay. It is running the lights at a reduced power level which a simple relay won't do (unless you rewire the lights and put the bulbs in series).

From listening to the box (it makes a whining sound), I think it acts like a dimmer and chops the power to the bulbs electronicly.
Yes. In fact, when I was testing my install, the whining noise was pretty irritating, but it's an efficient (less heat) way of reducing the brightness compared to using a massive resistor. I heard that whine and was just about to track it down when it stopped with the lights going off.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:50 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just an update

Just wanted everyone to know, It has been a month and about 2500 miles and everything with the DRLS has been flawless. There have been no side affects from the install. I have however, noticed other TL drivers turning thier heads as they go by.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:03 PM
Cruisin'

Cool mod but I prefer the OEM setup.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:09 PM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bhelsdon
Just wanted everyone to know, It has been a month and about 2500 miles and everything with the DRLS has been flawless. There have been no side affects from the install. I have however, noticed other TL drivers turning thier heads as they go by.
hey bhelsdon, I might need some assistance.......

I also have had he DRL for about a month, and I noticed something funny started happening. THE DRL work fine, when the ignition is on, the wiper motor has power so the fogs go on everytime.........no problems there, since I cut the green wire they go on instantly.

At first I noticed the problem being that about after a month, when the HIDs were on, and I would turn the fogs on, they would go on insantly, and would take 2 sec to turn off, which I thought was weird, because before they would go off instantly just like in the stock scenario.

Tonight I noticed, they dont go off at all.............you can see the intensity change, when the fog light swtich is turned on and off.......but they stay on, only when I power the HIDs off, with the fog switch in the OFF postion and turn the HIDs on, causing the DRL to go off, once I use the FOG switch to turn it on, I can't turn them off, only change the intensity.

I know something is wrong with the wire, something has to be lose, but have not yet had the time to open everything up and take a look. I think I will solder the connections this time instead of using the blue taps......something is bothering me about them.

If you have any insight, I'm all ears.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:08 AM
Pro

I would say that the drl module has gone bad. It has a liftime warranty so I would contact the company and get a new one.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:40 PM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bhelsdon
I would say that the drl module has gone bad. It has a liftime warranty so I would contact the company and get a new one.
Do you have their direct contant info?

It was called Ditech correct? Thanks

I am still going to play with the wiring see what is going on, but yet, I think its something wrong internally with the unit, because the HID signal turns them off when the HIDs go on and the fog light switch is in the OFF position, but it seems as if once the fogs are turned on with the fog light switch, something internally is not letting the OEM fog light switch do its job.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:24 PM
Pro

I will look for the paperwork that came with it. and let you know
Old 07-14-2006, 11:02 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by DeadLock
Do you have their direct contant info?

It was called Ditech correct? Thanks

I am still going to play with the wiring see what is going on, but yet, I think its something wrong internally with the unit, because the HID signal turns them off when the HIDs go on and the fog light switch is in the OFF position, but it seems as if once the fogs are turned on with the fog light switch, something internally is not letting the OEM fog light switch do its job.
DesignTech 1-800-337-4468 or 703-866-2000 or www.designtech-intl.com Sorry it took so long for me to respond, every computer around me seems to have broken this week.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:11 PM
Airline jet aircraft tech

Installed the DRL module today, works like a champ. Thanks bheldson, great writeup and photos. Love the look and the safety without always running our arc-lamp xenon's. I might consider using a 03 Accord fog lamp switch in the blank spot next to the mirror control to turn off the lights if I choose when headlights are off.(sometimes you need to be in the dark with the engine running)
Old 07-14-2006, 09:46 PM
Cruisin'

Maddog,
I'm in the process of adding the DRL and also plan on using the Accord Fog light switch to turn it off and on. I found it here in case you need it:

https://www.hondapartsdeals.com/hond...omponent=XEL30
Old 07-14-2006, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Received 997 Likes on 571 Posts
Originally Posted by toowetTL
Maddog,
I'm in the process of adding the DRL and also plan on using the Accord Fog light switch to turn it off and on. I found it here in case you need it:

Old 07-14-2006, 11:39 PM
05 TL

The link didnt work... But I think its:

(Edit by mod Ron A: I had edited the post above and put the link in, and it worked for me, but just to be safe I changed it back to the URL, so it should work now.

08V31-SDN-1M035 --- FOGLIGHT SWITCH --- $14.76

To get there if the link doesnt work:

Honda Parts
Accord
2DR EX V6
5AT
KA
Accessories
22 Fog Light Kit

I think I might have to pic one of these guys up.. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:44 AM
Airline jet aircraft tech

Maddog,

Picked up my switch yesterday for $18 at Nalley Honda/ATL. I plan on soldering wires on to the switch contacts. I figured out how to make the switch illuminate also. Did you decide on which wire to run through the switch to control the lights?
Old 07-16-2006, 08:42 AM
Pro

I would use the igntion sense wire.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:33 PM
Banned

Using bhelsdon's detailed installation instructions as a guide, I completed my DRL install today using a module made in Canada by Hamsar, part #45020. I chose this module instead of the DesignTech due to one owner's reported meltdown on a Honda Odyessy (scroll down the thread a bit). This appeared to be a defective unit.

This is a well-made unit and functions exactly like the DesignTech module in that the fog lights are used as DRL's at reduced power (76%). DRL's are on with headlight switch in OFF or PARK. The DRL's stay on for ~5 seconds after the ignition is switched off. As I said, installation is pretty much the same as the DesignTech but if you get this module, *connect the white wire to the fog and the orange wire to the HID* (this is the sense wire). Otherwise the unit won't work because the fuse will blow. This is counter to the included instructions and why I know that Hamsar's technical support is excellent.

Hamsar does not sell directly. Unfortunately, the distributor I used, Puma has gotten greedy. I paid about $24 but the price has now gone up to $38, so you may want to look elsewhere.
The following users liked this post:
DMZ (07-07-2012)
Old 07-24-2006, 08:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by maddog136
Picked up my switch yesterday for $18 at Nalley Honda/ATL. I plan on soldering wires on to the switch contacts. I figured out how to make the switch illuminate also. Did you decide on which wire to run through the switch to control the lights?
Would you be able to take a pic of the back where the wires connect? Thanks!
Old 08-06-2006, 10:54 AM
2005 - Anthracite TL 6MT

Also having problems

Looking for advice...
Like Deadlock I am having operational probelms with the DesignTech DRL. It always turns on correctly but when I then turn the headlights on the DRLs sometimes stay on; not always, but at least half the time. I can tell by the relfection from whatever is ahead of me. If I turn the headlights off and then on again the DRL will often then go off.
I am thinking I will try soldering the connection at the HID module to ensure a good connection but I doubt this will do the trick. Does anyone else have this problem? It may not really make any difference if the DRLs stay on. It just bugs me that the thing does not operate consistantly.

Thanks,
Mark in Detroit
Old 08-12-2006, 03:02 PM
9th Gear

Drl

With this installation, do the daytimer lights go out when the headlights are turned on?
Old 08-12-2006, 03:14 PM
9th Gear

Drl

Does this hook up result in dimming the dash and Navi intensity by day as turning on ther parking lights or headlights does?
Old 08-12-2006, 03:31 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by cedbob
Does this hook up result in dimming the dash and Navi intensity by day as turning on ther parking lights or headlights does?
Yes they go off when the headlights are turned on and they do not affect the operation of headlights, dash lights, or the fog lights.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:57 PM
9th Gear

Got to get this. I am frustrated by turning on the headlights, as required in several areas in construction zones, only to have the dash and nav display dim so they are hardly visible by day. If I turn up the insensity of the displays then then are to bright at night. Thanks for the post and the detailed instructions for installation.

By the way, does anyone know if DRLs can be connected on US cars the same as the Canadian cars?
Old 08-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Pro

With this modification you get the best of both worlds. You get DRL's and fog lights. The Canadian models don't have fog lights.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:55 AM
9th Gear

DRL Install

bhelsdon, great instructions. I did my lights using these in about 45 minutes. Just wondering if anyone has found a convenient hole through the fire wall to run wiring thru to the driver area. I want to put a DRL ON/OFF switch on the dash.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:32 AM
Cruisin'

I installed an on/off switch for mine using a foglight switch from a late model Accord. I ran the wires through the fire will using the same grommet as a blue cable that I think is a heater cable. It worked great and the switch lights up when active and backlights with the dash lights. Looks like it came that way
Old 08-23-2006, 06:17 AM
9th Gear

Do you have any pix of the switch installation? I was planing on using a VSA switch and modify the face to say "DRL OFF" like the VSA switch.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:33 AM
Cruisin'

I don't have any pictures of the installation, but the accord switch matchs the VSA switch exactly and snaps into place in the dash. Also, it clicks on and off unlike the VSA switch and the picture on the switch is appropriate. I'll take pics first chance I get.
I bought the switch here:

Old 08-24-2006, 06:40 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
3rd day after I bought my car and I just finished this mod. Thank you SO much Bheldson. You are the man. Your DIY is perfectly accurate and easy to follow, thanks for the effort. I just followed your walkthrough to a tee and all came out PERFECT! Best part I love is I can use my fogs with the parking lamps. One footnote to you guys are the harnesses are a biaaaach to get off. This would have been a 30 minute install if it wasn't for this pain in the nech. Just remember you have tabs on the ends that have to be pushed HARD while you pry the harnesses off simulatneously. The rest is a piece of cake and I recommend this safety mod to everyone.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:37 PM
信是寶

I don't have any pictures of the installation, but the accord switch matchs the VSA switch exactly and snaps into place in the dash. Also, it clicks on and off unlike the VSA switch and the picture on the switch is appropriate. I'll take pics first chance I get.
I bought the switch here:

Apropos switches, I just thought that maybe this will help some folks get some ideas ... props go to "Shinj1EVA" for giving me ideas for this expansion from his original mod.

btw. this is for my radar detector. And I would also like the ability for "stealth mode," so a switch is going to be required.

GREAT WRITE-UP THANX!!!

Old 09-01-2006, 09:35 PM
King of NYC

MY DRLs worked perfectly for 2 days then went dead. I spent 2 hrs looking for a wiring fault and concluded something is wrong with the unit. Sent it back to Autobarn for a replacement. Hope this doesn't happen again.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:04 PM
Supercharged 2005 TL NBP

Nice, How much did it cost?
~Jason
Old 09-02-2006, 11:27 PM
King of NYC

$29.99 + shipping

http://www.autobarn.net/des20013.html
Old 09-03-2006, 10:01 PM
9th Gear

I bought the Accord fog light switch and it fit great but was not contoured the same as the dash. I quess you can't get everything. I am working on a "DRL" dispaly to go with the foglight Icon. I have connected the "ON" indication (green light above the ICON) to the orange wire from the module, This results in an on indication when the DRLs are on. However, they indicator gets brighter when the "fog lights" are turned on. I am still trying to figure out how to get the indicator to turn on and off based solely on the DRL usage, ie it goes off if the headlights are turned on.

I do like the fact that now when it is raining during the day I can use the DRL's without the dimming of the dash lights and the nav goint to the "night" display. Not sure that I like the factory dimming of the dash lights when the parking lights or head lights are turned on.

I have also adwded blue LED foot well lighting. I purchase 4 LED lights and "Boater's World" oval light fixtures and changed out the white bulbs fopr the blue leds. This reuslted in a "softer" lighting og the foot well with less "spot lighting" by the led's. The effeect is great. Now all I need is the ACURA lighterd door sills.

Bob Miller
06 TL Antracite NAVI
Old 09-03-2006, 10:19 PM
Racer

I want to do this mod and sounds great and simple, I only worry about what model to get now that I see a few people with this one and starting to have problems with the unit and how it works... Arg...

If only I didnt trade my 05TL for an 06 in Jan, I could do it now and get the nice 07 with more power and features! Oh well, gotta learn the hard way. I have had 4 new cars in less than 3 years and wonder why I dont have much money, haha
Old 09-20-2006, 08:30 AM
Racer

has anybody tapped the wires into the parking lights so that the fog lights turn on with the parking lights? if anybody has, could you please post a picture of where and which exact wire to tap into? thanks!
Old 09-20-2006, 10:16 AM
King of NYC

Well if you wire it as instructed you CAN use your fogs with the parking lights. Then when you turn your headlights (lowbeam) on the fogs will turn OFF unless your fog switch is on. The fog switch is still functional once the headlights are on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY installation of Daytime Running Lights**with detailed pictures** 3G Garage #G-067