Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk badges won't clean smooth

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 03:54 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trunk badges won't clean smooth

So I have seen a lot of TL owners who have taken off the Acura and TL trunk badges of just leaving the A and I think bits a really clean look. This afternoon I tried to do the same however, even after removing all the adhesive, you can still see the outline of the badges and read the writing. I am wondering how people make it so this does not happen and it is flush. Has everyone who has done this to their car also repainted it?? I doubt it. Thanks y'all.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:44 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I used some Marine Wax with a microfiber and was able to get the "shadowing" off.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:26 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
On my old TL I ended up using some Turtle wax polishing compound to clean it.
on my previous BMW I had a professional buff it out.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:20 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 435 Likes on 321 Posts
yeah you have to polish it good
Old 10-10-2017, 08:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Theres something called goo be gone, its like $10 bucks. Works great, i got it when i got my 05 to remove the dealer stickers. Completely removes anything sticky and wont harm the paint at all.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by cp328
Theres something called goo be gone, its like $10 bucks. Works great, i got it when i got my 05 to remove the dealer stickers. Completely removes anything sticky and wont harm the paint at all.
goo be gone CAN hurt your paint, be cautious when applying it and make sure you wipe all it off.....
Old 10-11-2017, 06:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Young_Bourg
So I have seen a lot of TL owners who have taken off the Acura and TL trunk badges of just leaving the A and I think bits a really clean look. This afternoon I tried to do the same however, even after removing all the adhesive, you can still see the outline of the badges and read the writing. I am wondering how people make it so this does not happen and it is flush. Has everyone who has done this to their car also repainted it?? I doubt it. Thanks y'all.
My two cents: If, after removing ALL of the lettering's adhesive, a remnant, or shadow of the badges can still be seen, there are at least two possible causes. #1. An incorrect adhesive was used, at some point, to affix the badging, and it has etched the paint. #2. Depending on the color of the car, if the vertical area of the trunk panel was exposed to continuous heavy sun light, the exposed paint may have faded a bit, where as. the paint under the badging did not. I would take the car to a Quality Detail Shop, and ask them to assess the issue. Normally, removal of the badging, combined with a good compound, and or buff, will not leave any trace of the badges existence. I have de-badged several cars, and never experienced the issue you describe, so it appears, there may be something unique, to your particular car..
Old 10-11-2017, 07:01 AM
Pro

Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts
Bug and Tar remover worked for me.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:32 AM
6th Gear

Ye

Originally Posted by frankjnjr
My two cents: If, after removing ALL of the lettering's adhesive, a remnant, or shadow of the badges can still be seen, there are at least two possible causes. #1. An incorrect adhesive was used, at some point, to affix the badging, and it has etched the paint. #2. Depending on the color of the car, if the vertical area of the trunk panel was exposed to continuous heavy sun light, the exposed paint may have faded a bit, where as. the paint under the badging did not. I would take the car to a Quality Detail Shop, and ask them to assess the issue. Normally, removal of the badging, combined with a good compound, and or buff, will not leave any trace of the badges existence. I have de-badged several cars, and never experienced the issue you describe, so it appears, there may be something unique, to your particular car..
Yeah, I think one or two of those things have happened. The car is a dark blue and it seems that there is also some damage to the clear coat. I used good gone and buffed it for a while and still looks pretty gnarly. Just thinking of putting the badges back on to minimize how shitty it looks.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:09 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
The same thing happened to me when I de-badged my TL a few years back. I removed the "Acura" and "TL" and it ghosted on the paint. I took it to a detail guy and he got it out no problem.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:10 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Trav2390
The same thing happened to me when I de-badged my TL a few years back. I removed the "Acura" and "TL" and it ghosted on the paint. I took it to a detail guy and he got it out no problem.
How much did that run you?
Old 10-11-2017, 09:20 AM
Safety Car

Received 988 Likes on 746 Posts
clay bar and some elbow grease.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:30 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by BreezyTL
clay bar and some elbow grease.
Unfortunately, it seems as though the adhesive and weather conditions stripped the clear coat under the badges. It is chipping and seems indented. I used good gone and buffed the shit out of it and the situation hasn't changed.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:15 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Unfortunately the TL isn't new or fairly new. The paint under the emblems should be fresh. The paint around the emblems will have swirls. When you remove the emblems and glue, you will still see the out line of the emblems because the paint is still in great condition. The best way to fix the issue is to have the trunk paint correct (stage 1 or 2 compounded). The other part of that being, your trunk will look really nice as the rest of the vehicle will show imperfections as in swirls and scratches. Normally I tell people to leave the emblems on just due to the fact the paint will need some form of a paint correction. A detail shop can make it better without fully doing a correction, but beware, some of these shops don't know how to use a wheel and end up damaging the clear and use a ton of glaze to cover up. glaze wears off quickly, mostly after a decent wash. Not sure what the condition of your paint is, but you may want to consider looking around for a stage 1 correction or at most just have the face of the trunk done.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:20 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
Unfortunately the TL isn't new or fairly new. The paint under the emblems should be fresh. The paint around the emblems will have swirls. When you remove the emblems and glue, you will still see the out line of the emblems because the paint is still in great condition. The best way to fix the issue is to have the trunk paint correct (stage 1 or 2 compounded). The other part of that being, your trunk will look really nice as the rest of the vehicle will show imperfections as in swirls and scratches. Normally I tell people to leave the emblems on just due to the fact the paint will need some form of a paint correction. A detail shop can make it better without fully doing a correction, but beware, some of these shops don't know how to use a wheel and end up damaging the clear and use a ton of glaze to cover up. glaze wears off quickly, mostly after a decent wash. Not sure what the condition of your paint is, but you may want to consider looking around for a stage 1 correction or at most just have the face of the trunk done.
The paint on my car is in rough shape. I would like to repaint but I don't have the $$$ to spend on something like that. I am most likely going to paint the badges and put them back on. Thanks for the info!
Old 10-11-2017, 10:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts
Originally Posted by Young_Bourg
The paint on my car is in rough shape. I would like to repaint but I don't have the $$$ to spend on something like that. I am most likely going to paint the badges and put them back on. Thanks for the info!
Sounds like the right approach