2002 TL-S Opinions Please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 05:22 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 2002 TL-S Opinions Please!

I am looking at a 2002 Acura TL-S. It has 97,xxx miles and is on the original transmission. I have been reading for days and I am clearly worried about the transmission in these things. He has had it since 76k miles and had it serviced at the local Acura dealer. He had it there and they said it is straight and transmission is solid. They did not perform the recall as they said it didn't need it. So no oil jet line or whatever it is. Seems to shift fine, took it out on the interstate and had it up to 75MPH. The only thing that was weird about the transmission is when I put my foot into the throttle, it shifts harder than at normal acceleration. Not sure if this is a concern or not. While he has had it, he said he hasn't changed the transmission fluid. It looked OK, slight tint of red to it, but darker. Thing is in great shape and I am very interested in buying it, possibly tomorrow. He has it up for sale for $8900. That is not going to happen as it needs new brakes and rotors, oil change (i know, not much), and a transmission service in my opinion. I drive a 2002 Honda Accord SE 4-cyl. I change the transmission fluid every 15k miles and have installed a magnefine external filter. So I know my way around changing fluids. It only has 106,xxx miles, but I am looking to upgrade to something with more power and better looking. And I am very active on the Accord forums and would love to get into the Acura forums with this thing. So what do you guys think about this car, and how about the price? I have read what to look out for, but would love to know what you guys think. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Chapter Leader (Southeast Region)

Received 451 Likes on 394 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Accordcoupe
I am looking at a 2002 Acura TL-S. It has 97,xxx miles and is on the original transmission. I have been reading for days and I am clearly worried about the transmission in these things. He has had it since 76k miles and had it serviced at the local Acura dealer. He had it there and they said it is straight and transmission is solid. They did not perform the recall as they said it didn't need it. So no oil jet line or whatever it is. Seems to shift fine, took it out on the interstate and had it up to 75MPH. The only thing that was weird about the transmission is when I put my foot into the throttle, it shifts harder than at normal acceleration. Not sure if this is a concern or not. While he has had it, he said he hasn't changed the transmission fluid. It looked OK, slight tint of red to it, but darker. Thing is in great shape and I am very interested in buying it, possibly tomorrow. He has it up for sale for $8900. That is not going to happen as it needs new brakes and rotors, oil change (i know, not much), and a transmission service in my opinion. I drive a 2002 Honda Accord SE 4-cyl. I change the transmission fluid every 15k miles and have installed a magnefine external filter. So I know my way around changing fluids. It only has 106,xxx miles, but I am looking to upgrade to something with more power and better looking. And I am very active on the Accord forums and would love to get into the Acura forums with this thing. So what do you guys think about this car, and how about the price? I have read what to look out for, but would love to know what you guys think. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
It will also need 100000 mile service which includes timing belt and water pump which probably set you back another 800-1200
Old 04-15-2012, 05:29 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Stephen00TL
It will also need 100000 mile service which includes timing belt and water pump which probably set you back another 800-1200
Indeed. I already called my private shop on that and they gave me a good price on it.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:38 PM
8th Gear

To add to the original post.
He has owned a 2003 TL-S and got rid of it and had to come back.
He too knew all about the transmission problems and said he did plenty of research before he bought this one as well. His previous one had zero problems with the tranny as well. Maybe he is just lucky.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 205 Likes on 180 Posts
I think all trannies brought in for the recall received at minimum the oil jet and if determined it was needed they got a replacement transmission, correct me if I'm wrong someone who know better.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:20 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by MilwaukeeDave
I think all trannies brought in for the recall received at minimum the oil jet and if determined it was needed they got a replacement transmission, correct me if I'm wrong someone who know better.
Just looked up the recalls on MyAcura and here is what showed up, someone please explain if possible:

Your 2002 Acura is included in the 1999-2003 3.2TL; 2001-2003 3.2CL Automatic Transmission Warranty Extension Campaign.
Description 1999-2003 3.2TL; 2001-2003 3.2CL Automatic Transmission Warranty Extension
Type Recall Customer Letter Status Open
Your 2002 Acura is included in the 2001-2003 3.2CL; 2000-2003 3.2TL; 2004 TL Automatic Transmission 2nd Gear Campaign.
Description 2001-2003 3.2CL; 2000-2003 3.2TL; 2004 TL Automatic Transmission 2nd Gear
Type Recall Customer Letter Status Fixed
Your 2002 Acura is included in the 2002-03 TL and 2003 CL Driver Airbag Expansion Campaign.
Description 2002-03 TL and 2003 CL Driver Airbag Expansion en Español Type Recall Customer Letter Status Fixed
Recently announced recall information:
Side Curtain Airbag Recall: 2012 Acura MDX
SRS_Inflator_Recall_Expansion_Dec2011 - Acura
Old 04-15-2012, 11:18 PM
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Accordcoupe
For about $145-$150 you can get yourself drilled and slotted rotors+ all necessary break pads, so thats not much of a problem.

Ask if the deal is still on tho:

https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/brakemotive-drilled-slotted-brake-kits-lowest-prices-ever-809114/
Old 04-16-2012, 07:14 AM
8th Gear

Great! Good to know I will ask.
Anybody else have any opinions? I haven't heard any feelings about the transmission... I also posted up what recall info has been done. I am going to make my decision today, so please help me out with whatever you have. Thanks again guys!
Old 04-16-2012, 08:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

It's stating the status on the transmission recall as open which I would assume means it's yet to be brought in for the recall. I am not sure if they'd replace it at this point but maybe they'd install the oil jet for you. Again I'm new as well so don't quote me on that. There is a number you can call to speak w a person and maybe they will be able to help you're than me.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:04 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
It has the recall installed oil jet kit, look on top of trans to see it
If the trans was replaced at dealer under warranty at any time, there will be blue paint on the bolt heads on trans and things attached to it- that would explain no external oil jet --it went internal with the post 2005 `new case design`

Dealer service desk can run your vin and tell if trans was ever replaced under warranty-the online and even 800# cant seem to find that info~

It WAS part of the warranty extension which is up by now,,7 years plus 9 months from date first sold new

It has the recall for airbag inflator done

BUT
the biggie is original trans, 100kmile and no fluid change--major bad news!!!
not nice red color,,shifts hard with throttle =
this thing is destined for a rebuild soon
and if its the old style case,,may as well drop in an accord/oddessey trans from a junkyard car for 1500$ over spending 2500 to rebuild existing unit

all in all,,with needs major 105 service, brakes etc,,the real maitenance has not been kept up with
you are looking at a money pit

If you really need a TL: look in our `members only` `Used Cars` for sales section--link near top of page
most of us take good care of our baby
Old 04-16-2012, 11:59 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
It has the recall installed oil jet kit, look on top of trans to see it
If the trans was replaced at dealer under warranty at any time, there will be blue paint on the bolt heads on trans and things attached to it- that would explain no external oil jet --it went internal with the post 2005 `new case design`

Dealer service desk can run your vin and tell if trans was ever replaced under warranty-the online and even 800# cant seem to find that info~

It WAS part of the warranty extension which is up by now,,7 years plus 9 months from date first sold new

It has the recall for airbag inflator done

BUT
the biggie is original trans, 100kmile and no fluid change--major bad news!!!
not nice red color,,shifts hard with throttle =
this thing is destined for a rebuild soon
and if its the old style case,,may as well drop in an accord/oddessey trans from a junkyard car for 1500$ over spending 2500 to rebuild existing unit

all in all,,with needs major 105 service, brakes etc,,the real maitenance has not been kept up with
you are looking at a money pit

If you really need a TL: look in our `members only` `Used Cars` for sales section--link near top of page
most of us take good care of our baby
I was hoping you chime in.
It doesn't seem to have the oil jet kit installed on the top and I didn't look for the blue bolts. But he said he has had it to Acura and they said nothing needed to be done to it. It shifts fine under normal acceleration, just under heavier acceleration is got firmer. This car is one of the cleanest i've seen in a while, but I am weary of purchasing with the transmission woes that I read about. I've called a local transmission guy, as i've seen a few TL-S's in his shop, and he quoted me $1500 for a rebuild. So I may just walk away, unless I can get it a lot cheaper than expected.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

If he brought it in to Acura it would have gotten the oil jet or a replacement transmission. That just doesn't seem right what he's tellin you. There was a recall and you brought the car in and they did the oil jet or if deemed necessary a replacement trans. I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure of he did bring it in you'd have one or the other.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:44 PM
8th Gear

Thanks all for your opinions. I think I am going to pass as I talked to the owner this evening and he isn't willing to move really at all off of the asking price. Maybe $150 he said. So on to better things. Hopefully I will be back with another sooner or later. Thanks again!