Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchasing a 2007 Acura TL? Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 04:34 PM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi,

I am new to this forum however have been an Acura customer for YEARS. I am currently looking at this 2007 Acura TL 3.2 w/ Navigation and would like to know if there are any concerns with this particular model or specific car (color, condition, etc.) I think they are asking too much for this car, should I be looking at extended warranty plans? Are there any major services soon to occur?

Some features I really like:
- condition (no bumper scrapes, scratches, dents)
- mileage (47,000 miles)
- one owner california car (local trade-in)
- headlights in perfect condition (condensation)
- leather seats in good condition (acura leather sucks)
- reputable dealership (lexus)

Thank you all in advance for your input and considerations.

Sorry, the asking price is just under 18,000

Last edited by Steven Bell; 07-27-2014 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 07-25-2014, 05:07 PM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 95 Posts
That looks like a really well taken care of car. With that mileage the price is not too bad. I am sure if you tried you could get them down a bit. I bought mine a year and a half ago, an 07 with 44,000 and paid $19000.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:11 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
KBB.com has the car at a fair dealer price of $17,574, so not to far from $18K. If it checks all the boxes for you, it might be a decent buy- try to get it for $17K. 49K miles is decently low as well.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:33 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I just bought my 07 for 11.9k with 86k miles. There are a few spots on my front bumper but otherwise, the car was very clean inside and out. With 47k miles and in that good of condition, I'd try to talk them down to about 18 OTD maybe less. Or you could try to find a Type-S with higher miles for about the same price. I've seen some with my kind of mileage go for 17-18k.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:38 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Additional info:
-no major services are needed, but you might want to consider an ATF drain and fill and repeat 2x over the next 2 oil changes so you're running with clean fluid
-Extended warranties: I wouldn't recommend it, but answers here will vary.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:09 PM
6th Gear

Thank you all for your quick responses. At this point I feel like it's the matter of price. But do I really want to pay 17,000 for a car that is almost 8 years old?

Originally Posted by erdoc48
Additional info:
-no major services are needed, but you might want to consider an ATF drain and fill and repeat 2x over the next 2 oil changes so you're running with clean fluid
-Extended warranties: I wouldn't recommend it, but answers here will vary.
Any reason you wouldn't? Acura care came in handy on my 08 MDX when the navi screen went out, almost a 800 fix covered
Old 07-25-2014, 10:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by ibryton
But do I really want to pay 17,000 for a car that is almost 8 years old?
Why wouldn't you? The main factor here is mileage, and that one has similar mileage to some 2011 and 2012 cars. Based on the pictures the car looks really nice. There is no major service due until 105K miles, and the 07/08 TL is very solid with no common problem areas. Price seems pretty fair for a clean low mileage nav TL. I mean if you really want to get a newer car then for only 17K its not gonna be anything sweet. I mean think about it, what that is newer can you get that costs only in the teens? Unless you want a Civic or a Corolla or something like that. The 3G TL still looks modern inside and out.
Also, I have no issues owning my TL without a warranty. Just buy it, peel off that ugly body side molding and you'll be good to go :-)

Last edited by JTS97Z28; 07-25-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:06 AM
2008 WDP Base TL

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
so that's what the steering wheel looks like new! that's gotta be the worst part of my interior...
but anyways, it looks beautiful! and sounds like a great deal! I used to have an 08 accord coupe ex 4 cylinder that my parents financed. they got it at right under 60k miles i believe and the total came out to be like $18k. so i would believe it's worth spending the money on what you got there. keep in mind the tl has leather standard, this one has nav, v6, and its just a timeless beauty! the accord had cloth seats and no nav. hopefully i helped you out some
Old 07-26-2014, 07:56 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Thank you all for your quick responses. At this point I feel like it's the matter of price. But do I really want to pay 17,000 for a car that is almost 8 years old?
It's a heck of a lot smarter than buying a new car, It may depreciate a bit faster than a higher mileage and you insurance will be more expensive. But, you won't need any major maintenance anytime soon.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:05 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kev08wdp
so that's what the steering wheel looks like new! that's gotta be the worst part of my interior...
What do you mean? Did you ruin yours or something? Too bad because I just sold the wheel out of my 13,000 mile Type S, for pretty cheap too.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:20 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
As others have said, price might be a little high, but it's at a Lexus dealer
In terms of extended warranty, I wouldn't purchase anything other than an Acura/Honda warranty and you need to buy that before the original warranty expires. Besides you can't get that at a Lexus dealer.
In summary - see if you can knock off some $$ and skip the warranty
Old 07-26-2014, 12:55 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Originally Posted by nokkieny
It's a heck of a lot smarter than buying a new car, It may depreciate a bit faster than a higher mileage and you insurance will be more expensive. But, you won't need any major maintenance anytime soon.
This is very true...to get a new version of this car would run you in the $35-40K range (don't forget the extra sales tax for a pricier car), so for about 1/2 that, you're getting a very nice condition car (the TL in the pics looks as new). It makes perfect financial sense. As for the extended warranty, it's a toss up...some people buy them and have used them and some (like me) never got one and have had a very reliable car, and repairs have been minimal. Buying the warranty is like insurance. You buy it thinking you might need it, and if it's never used, it's a waste of money, and if the time comes that you need it, you're covered. I hate over insuring stuff, so I rolled the dice and it worked out in my favor. I agree with putting some money aside for repairs, and then if the repairs are never needed, you have some money available for other things or the down payment on your next car (assuming you save up for several years). Otherwise,, the warranty co. has your money and it's tied up in that.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:54 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by erdoc48
This is very true...to get a new version of this car would run you in the $35-40K range (don't forget the extra sales tax for a pricier car), so for about 1/2 that, you're getting a very nice condition car (the TL in the pics looks as new). It makes perfect financial sense. As for the extended warranty, it's a toss up...some people buy them and have used them and some (like me) never got one and have had a very reliable car, and repairs have been minimal. Buying the warranty is like insurance. You buy it thinking you might need it, and if it's never used, it's a waste of money, and if the time comes that you need it, you're covered. I hate over insuring stuff, so I rolled the dice and it worked out in my favor. I agree with putting some money aside for repairs, and then if the repairs are never needed, you have some money available for other things or the down payment on your next car (assuming you save up for several years). Otherwise,, the warranty co. has your money and it's tied up in that.
The dealers lowest price is 17,500. I would actually be comparing this 2007 TL for a NEW 2015 GTI, MSRP is 25,000. The reason why I like the GTI is because I'm purchasing 2015 in 2014, it is the newest style (same style for next 5 years), limited/power train warranty, and fuel economy.

At 17,500 I don't know if I should consider this car, I ideally would like to get it for 15,500-16,250
Old 07-26-2014, 04:19 PM
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
The dealers lowest price is 17,500. I would actually be comparing this 2007 TL for a NEW 2015 GTI, MSRP is 25,000. The reason why I like the GTI is because I'm purchasing 2015 in 2014, it is the newest style (same style for next 5 years), limited/power train warranty, and fuel economy.

At 17,500 I don't know if I should consider this car, I ideally would like to get it for 15,500-16,250

You can't exactly compare the TL and GTI. They're not in the same category. Only 47k miles on that TL? That's ridiculously low for how old it is. 7 year old car, do the math, the person only drove it about 6500 miles a year AT MOST. From the pics you provided, it looks like it was really cared for. Remember this is a dealership, it's going to be hard for them to budge. I'd try to get the car for 17k. If you get it for 16.5, hats off to you my friend.

Back to my original statement about comparing the TL to a GTI, They're not in the same "class" if you catch my drift. TL's hold their value especially when they're taken care of and not abused. Consider that the TL cost about 10-15k more brand new compared to the 2015 MSRP of a GTI. 7 years later, and still holding 50% of what it cost brand new is amazing considering the excellent details provided about this TL. At this point, it's really up to you on what you want to purchase. None of us can tell you what to buy, but you need to sit down and really think about what you would make you feel at ease and feel no buyer's remorse when purchasing a vehicle. From a personal preference, I would buy the TL. I've never really liked German cars. Again personal preference. Best wishes in what you decide to choose.

Last edited by DementiaPhuro; 07-26-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:21 PM
Instructor

The dealer will go lower. You just have to be stern with them. I work at a Honda dealer and I can guarantee you that if you just act like you're gonna walk out if you don't get 16.25, they will be way more helpful.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:44 PM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
OP-I agree with what others have said. You can definetly get them down ~$1200 dollars. If not, just walk out. That's not that much to lose a sale over, or a nice clean TL (on your part)for that matter. In the end, it's all about what you want! Good Luck!
Old 07-26-2014, 06:00 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Slpr04UA6
OP-I agree with what others have said. You can definetly get them down ~$1200 dollars. If not, just walk out. That's not that much to lose a sale over, or a nice clean TL (on your part)for that matter. In the end, it's all about what you want! Good Luck!
Thanks for all your help guys. The lowest price they would go on the TL is 17,000. This is over a two week span of keeping in contact (in person and over the phone). They've only had the car for two weeks on the lot (the moment I checked it out they received it.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:06 PM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
^tell them you will need new tires ASAP, so that's ~$800 right there. Then say your willing to pay $16,200 OTD now, and worry about the tires later. Unless they offer to put new tires on and sell it for the 17K. ? Idk, at some point they have to budge a lil! I don't think you can negotiate new tires and the price you want, but like you say "it is 7yrs old", so you think they would come down some.

Let 'em sit on your offer a few more days, and wait for that call back. ?

To me, it looks clean for being 7yrs old, and originally ~35k brand new.

Edit: damn, didn't know they put new tires on it. Hmmmm......

Last edited by Slpr04UA6; 07-26-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:10 PM
6th Gear

^tell them you will need new tires ASAP, so that's ~$800 right there. Then say your willing to pay $16,200 OTD now, and worry about the tires later. Unless they offer to put new tires on and sell it for the 17K. ? Idk, at some point they have to budge a lil! I don't think you can negotiate new tires and the price you want, but like you say "it is 7yrs old", so you think they would come down some.

They already put new tires on the car 😂
The following users liked this post:
Slpr04UA6 (07-26-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 06:49 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
And I'm sure they will tell you the tires were $1000-1200
Old 07-26-2014, 09:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it's good to keep in mind that prices are very region dependent. If you've been looking for a while you will get a good feel for what prevailing prices are in your area. I'm assuming you are looking for 07/08's. I focused on the 07/08's after reading this forum and finding the general consensus that the transmissions in the 07/08's were much better than the 04-06's.

I think $17K for 47K on an 07 is not bad, especially if they put new tires on. In a 300 mile radius from the largest city in my area, 07/08's with under 60K were going for $20-22K (clean titles). I was looking for about 8 months before grabbing an 07 with 60K for $16.5. If mileage wasn't important then you could find 07/08's for $12-$17K with 100K+ miles and varying condition.

My perspective is if you can afford it and like it ... buy it!
Old 07-26-2014, 09:48 PM
Safety Car

Edit: damn, didn't know they put new tires on it. Hmmmm......
It's doesn't really work like that. $16.2 otd and your basically asking them to sell the car for like high $14's and that's just not realistic on a clean low mileage car from a dealership. At some point they really don't have to budge because someone will buy that car for that price. They don't mind the car sitting for a while if it needs to. Just because it's 7 or 8 years old does not mean they have to come down some, infact most dealers list pretty close to their best price online. Basically my point is, by no means think that dealership is in dyer need of selling that car to you that day. If you wait for a call in a few days waiting for them to accept your offer, chances are pretty good your going to be disappointed with no return call only to find the car sold.
Also, I'm surprised to keep reading that people seem to think for whatever reason that because of this cars age that the dealer has to budge on price. How can you guys say that? How do you know how much they paid for the car? How do you know what they had to put into it?, or how much they need to make on each car to stay in business? They don't have to do anything on the price if they don't want to.

Last edited by JTS97Z28; 07-26-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
It's doesn't really work like that. $16.2 otd and your basically asking them to sell the car for like high $14's and that's just not realistic on a clean low mileage car from a dealership. At some point they really don't have to budge because someone will buy that car for that price. They don't mind the car sitting for a while if it needs to. Just because it's 7 or 8 years old does not mean they have to come down some, infact most dealers list pretty close to their best price online. Basically my point is, by no means think that dealership is in dyer need of selling that car to you that day. If you wait for a call in a few days waiting for them to accept your offer, chances are pretty good your going to be disappointed with no return call only to find the car sold.
Also, I'm surprised to keep reading that people seem to think for whatever reason that because of this cars age that the dealer has to budge on price. How can you guys say that? How do you know how much they paid for the car? How do you know what they had to put into it?, or how much they need to make on each car to stay in business? They don't have to do anything on the price if they don't want to.
I agree partially with what you're saying. But let's say since the car has already been on the lot for 2 weeks and, hypothetically, they haven't had any other bites besides OP; I'd reckon to say that they would budge just a bit more to get it sold. This car was a trade-in and I'm sure the previous owner was low-balled on the sale so they probably have some wiggle room with their profit margins.
Slpr04UA6 (07-27-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 11:00 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by TurnerDan
I agree partially with what you're saying. But let's say since the car has already been on the lot for 2 weeks and, hypothetically, they haven't had any other bites besides OP; I'd reckon to say that they would budge just a bit more to get it sold. This car was a trade-in and I'm sure the previous owner was low-balled on the sale so they probably have some wiggle room with their profit margins.
The day they received it on trade in they were asking 20,999. The next couple of days I found the car on dealership website for 19,999. The following week I found it "discounted" to 17,990. And a couple of days later asking is 17,890.

Yes, they may have put money into this car (i.e. tires). However, I know the trade in on this car was not more than 14,500; they want to make a good amount on this car.

Thank you all for your responses, I will keep you updated
Slpr04UA6 (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 12:00 AM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts
you mean you have not bought it yet? Crazy people. haha

I paid 21k for my 05 but that was in 2007 or 2008 when it had 35k miles.

If I were you, don't buy an 04-06 TL. There is nothing majorly wrong with the 04-06 but you get more features and some updates with the 07/08. Many of which I had no idea about until I looked closer! I didn't know there were so many differences. Oh well. good to ask around I guess.. But a good deal will go bye-bye in Dallas if you wait like this...

A good deal today is hard to find. We have millions of people in any metroplex looking for a good deal. If you find one, you better get on it. Or else it will be gone. Housing or cars.. it doesn't matter. You are in competition to get a good deal with everyone else. Whoever is fastest wins the deal.

Last edited by Chad05TL; 07-27-2014 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:30 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad05TL
If I were you, don't buy an 04-06 TL.
you realize this thread says "2007 Acura TL" right?
Slpr04UA6 (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 08:02 AM
Safety Car

^^^ lol. Maybe he somehow missed all the large pictures posted at the top too haha
Old 07-27-2014, 10:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
OP $18k OTD is a reasonable price both for buyer and dealer, I am sorry if it offend anyone but that statement you made "the car is 8 years old and still $18k" this usually came from people that never own a used Japanese luxury car such as Lexus and Acura. I paid almost $24k for mine back in 2012 which ofcouse can land me in a brand new civic SI, but I have no interest in civic. Please remember this isn't a Chevy or Ford, I am pretty sure that you can pick one up in the same year production for half that price. But the Acura is priceless you get head turn almost everywhere you go, even some of the people I talk to they asked me if the car is brand new, hell I even see the car from exterior and interior doesn't age at all if not better than some of the new car these day. TL is a solid car with no major problems but as a used car small issues might come up such as rattle, LED on the navi button burn out, back seat panel become detached. 07-08 is the years they fix most of the common problems encounter during earlier model.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:09 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Many will disagree with me with this statement:
-I'd rather pay just a little more for a nice looking, well maintained, low mileage car like this one vs. an ongoing search for a lesser price, and possibly get a car that needs work or isn't as cosmetically appealing. I wouldn't want to pay for more than the car is worth, but if I was told this one is down to $17K, I'd snap it up before someone else does. Dealers have to make a little profit on the sale, and they won't be giving it away. If you don't act on $17K (which is now very competitively priced based on mileage and condition), it may not last on the lot very long. This is just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:34 PM
Safety Car

^^I can absolutely agree with that! I think the OP is gonna miss out on this one because he thinks it's priced too high. That's his own fault, but if it's out of his price range then atleast he is sticking to his limits.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:40 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
17 is a pretty good price, I'd take it, but then I wanted the 3g tl for a long time before I picked one up last year. But then I'm in Canada, it costs more, but that one is in pretty good condition and low milage. Personally not a fan of red on tan though, but that's just me. Hope someone else hasn't beat you to it. Love my TL.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:40 PM
Instructor

ibryton, I'd go to the dealer tomorrow and see what they can do. I don't expect this car to be available for too much longer.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
After owning 1 VW, I will NEVER own another.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
OP, I'm anxious to hear what happens tomorrow-keep us posted.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:13 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Agreed- don't let this one slip away. It's now priced right and looks great. Avoid the temptation of new with bigger payments.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:06 AM
2008 WDP Base TL

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
What do you mean? Did you ruin yours or something? Too bad because I just sold the wheel out of my 13,000 mile Type S, for pretty cheap too.
Sorry for late reply, but yeah since I bought my car used at 126 k, the wheel was not in beautiful shape lol. The emblem chrome chipped off, the clear coat is still coming off, the grip just didn't have the "new car" steering wheel feel as in it was shiny and the material is slowly starting to rub off. I'd love to have a type s wheel