Prototype "Launch kit" available on pre-orders

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 01:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyfeller
...It's kinda annoying ya know? Not the first time I saw you write like that. So if you know something just give the information straight like everybody else

...You may feel better because it makes you feel smarter. You aren't really. We are all intelligent in our own facets. Think about it.

I was thinking "concept car" when you asked the question. Those don't use production tooling. The prototype often does. I didn't really think about it when you asked. But indeed this was a TLX prototype not a concept.
Let me take a moment to answer each of these three primary points. Number one, I never write anything specifically to annoy anybody. If it bothered you I apologize for that.

Number two, I don't write things to try to set up any kind of "superiority complex". If I know facts, I state them as such, if it's an opinion I strive to phrase things with the possibility that I could be incorrect. You seem like a reasonable guy, we kept going back and forth on this one "proportions" topic so the reason I asked my question was to establish if we are discussing things from common ground. Specifically, if you truly believe that the Prototype was handmade, then the discussion on lenses and focal lengths would be meaningless. Each point built on the other.

Finally, using verbiage such as "Prototype" and "Concept" are vital to eliminating misunderstandings when we are not speaking face-to-face. As with point 2, if you are thinking "concept" and I'm speaking "prototype" misunderstandings are going to happen (and, it appears they did). If you want to discuss this further, please message me.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:33 AM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
I think everyone wishes any brand would single handedly make a car with our individual exceptions in mind or at least encompassing a general expectation of those who would like to see this model take one more step (that step being, a more prototype looking appearance, bumpers, a power increase, 6/7MT, sport model, etc) but to be fair, we shouldn't only expect that of Acura and for it to at the same time be loaded or more inclusive, extremely reliable and exceptionally priced.

Understandably, Acura does need to sell this car to a broad market as most brands attempt to do. They shouldn't unreasonably have to take any additional criticism than any other brand is or should be subjected to in doing so. In the least, we should wait until we have seen a few in person, read a few reviews, and spent time behind the wheel before we already decide the fate or nature of this product.

Not to say that I'm thrilled with much of the car myself but I won't fault the decisions they have made with this model just because they aren't aligned with my own criteria, which is about the same as even those most critical about some of the decisions. Still, I think they easily gain more sales than they lose or don't attract doing it their way. However, I will point out again that the one way of attempting to bring this thing full circle and where it appears they have left room for themselves to do so and widen the appeal a bit more, is add a Type S or another similar sport trim as the highlight or halo variant.

That has been some of the real fault of the brand and the fault thus far with this model IMO, which has been not pushing the model(s) far enough down and up and trying to consolidate how it is available and using too many entirely different models instead of trims. I know they are only set up for so much configuration and that is one way they save money and maybe pass it on but they can and have been doing a little more without having to go to the same high and low trim extremes as some others and I guess we will see how it works out.

Clearly they don't need an M type vehicle or a V8 for the TLX, many would agree that it wouldn't make sense and is ridiculous for an Acura but a TLX-S with many of the smaller things most of us would have liked to see on regular models seems called for, as does a 4 cyl version that they added, while not getting too low to necessarily put it step on ILX and Accord territory and shouldn't get too high for the RLX and even so they are the most distinct of products as they have ever been.

I think the comparison and the let down has more to do with people wanting that extra variant or trim vs it being a greater departure from the prototype than most other cars. Seems, most of this discussion goes away if they offer that and I think people should be hanging on to that possibility instead of looking at a vehicle that may be below or under priced for the specific market for what they are looking for or if that's not the case, they need to understand what they give up instead or understand the compromising being made elsewhere at the same time and be sure one is equally upset at that because this does seem to be a very good product at a great price so far overall, no matter what.

There is a strong possibility that it could get better, not a GT version or anything but addressing many of the smaller points. Automotive news suggests that Acura is studying bringing back some sporting flair to the rest of the lineup with Type S designation, which I assume will be for the ILX and TLX, and it's being determined just how they will increase performance. If it didn't happen it's a shame as I said another time because of everything else having been added and improved, the substantial weight drop and the lower stance, aerodynamics, etc, etc considering they are sticking with AWD anyway.

As for torque comments or suggestions, seems average to me. There are those better and some worse. Peak numbers are meaningless today, the range and gears is more important and while it's not the most torque by peak or overall, it's been fine and competitive in the past nonetheless and it's been improved on as well. Furthermore, it would appear Acura's answer to any inferior driving factor as related to engine torque would be the new 8DCT and 9AT which is at least equal or one more gear than any other in the segment range so maybe with all things considered they will even things out a bit, but we will have to see.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 07-30-2014 at 03:47 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:30 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,026 Likes on 2,504 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Question is if why hype the crap out of exactly that?

As was mentioned above its about hyping expectations that will not be met resulting in disappointment. This is a gross violation of Marketing 101. Some puffery is expected in most advertising but the whole roll out spread on Acura.Com screams killer car.
Because that's how car marketing 101 works, Honda/Acura are not the first nor the last to use racing as a marketing approach. It's been happening for decades.

And BTW, the 110HP 924 was no killer car

Last edited by Legend2TL; 07-30-2014 at 06:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Legend2TL:
CoquiTSX (07-30-2014), dysonlu (07-30-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 09:54 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Because that's how car marketing 101 works, Honda/Acura are not the first nor the last to use racing as a marketing approach. It's been happening for decades.

And BTW, the 110HP 924 was no killer car

Difference being that Porsche has the performance and reputation to back it up. Acura? Perhaps at one time, but not so much of late...
Old 07-30-2014, 10:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
If they want to be taken seriously by others and those that are looking at the models Acura hopes to compete with they need to be premium, they need to separate and produce something that is.
I agree with this from the perspective that "tacked-on" accessories simply does NOT give the impression of "premium" or "luxury". It gives the impression of "trying to cut corners/cost" or "aftermarket" like that which you can get at a Pepboys shop. It's just cheap, period. However, as Colin stated, we have to give time for things to unfold. These accessories could be nothing more than a temporary option, while they continue developing on what is to come next.

Speaking of what's coming next...this was posted on the RLX forum earlier this week and not sure that anyone here on the TLX forums took notice, but a pretty important comment was made that speaks to the very issue we are discussing here now about how and why Acura is advertising on this whole "performance" aspect, without the powertrain and aesthetic looks and design to back it...

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...efore-the-calm

Quote:

"Acura also is studying bringing some sporting flair back to the rest of the lineup with the Type S designation, but how it plans to increase its vehicles' performance is being determined."

My guess is that IF they execute on the Type-S, it will have a real front/rear bumper design to match it that will differentiate it from the non Type-S models. At least we can hope that will be the case.

There you have it....let the speculations begin! lol
The following users liked this post:
rockyfeller (07-30-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 10:08 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
^^ This has reverted to the age old argument about everything wrong with Acura. I know I've replied to each of your points in the past, probably time to move on.
Fair enough, but keep in mind that this is coming from the perspective of someone whose family has owned Acura cars since 1992. We have owned 14 Acuras between us in that time, 5 of which have been my personal vehicles. We have seen the glory days when Acura was a strong contender and we have seen the failure to evolve quickly enough to meet the increased competition. After over two decades of loyalty, my family has almost categorically declared we will be moving away from Acura cars because they no longer offer the competitive advantage that they once did.

My criticism stems from a place of frustration as a long-time supporter who wants to see the brand be great rather than languish in its current state.
The following 2 users liked this post by CGTSX2004:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-30-2014), fsttyms1 (07-31-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 10:17 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,026 Likes on 2,504 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Difference being that Porsche has the performance and reputation to back it up. Acura? Perhaps at one time, but not so much of late...
To back up what? A 80HP 914 or 110HP 924? Few were fooled by Porsche's low end 914/924 lines by thinking it was backed up their racing reputation and heritage.

It's also the reason why Schutz started the 944 as soon as he arrived at Porsche to introduce a model worthy of their name.

Bottom line, many manufacturers use racing to promote their vehicles despite large differential in performance. Can't fault Acura for trying with the TLX, they did some minor endurance racing even with the 2G RL.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 07-30-2014 at 10:31 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Legend2TL:
dysonlu (07-30-2014), Stew4HD (07-30-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 10:57 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Let me take a moment to answer each of these three primary points. Number one, I never write anything specifically to annoy anybody. If it bothered you I apologize for that.

Number two, I don't write things to try to set up any kind of "superiority complex". If I know facts, I state them as such, if it's an opinion I strive to phrase things with the possibility that I could be incorrect. You seem like a reasonable guy, we kept going back and forth on this one "proportions" topic so the reason I asked my question was to establish if we are discussing things from common ground. Specifically, if you truly believe that the Prototype was handmade, then the discussion on lenses and focal lengths would be meaningless. Each point built on the other.

Finally, using verbiage such as "Prototype" and "Concept" are vital to eliminating misunderstandings when we are not speaking face-to-face. As with point 2, if you are thinking "concept" and I'm speaking "prototype" misunderstandings are going to happen (and, it appears they did). If you want to discuss this further, please message me.
Colin, I apologize as well. I was a bit harsh on you. Long day I guess and I was just peeved.

I can write volumes and it may seem like I am a "know it all" but it is all in the effort to help. Sometimes people see that as a challenge to pull that crafted "one-up-manship" pretentious nonsense just to argue. Not to help anybody else but just to make themselves look better. In my field where I work I encounter it all the time and it is BEYOND annoying. So it pushed my buttons. I was out of line.

So in fact it's other things that annoy me and I just associated you with that. You are not the one who is annoying, I don't even know you. lol. We just have different opinions so it shouldn't get personal. I was expecting you to take what I said in a negative way but your response was totally that of a gentleman. Thank you for that, shows that you have class and I respect that. I take back what I said. Sorry.
The following 3 users liked this post by rockyfeller:
2011TL (07-30-2014), Stew4HD (07-30-2014), weather (07-30-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 11:13 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by dysonlu
To me, these bumpers look to come from the same mold. They only change the black portion where the fog lights are inserted. That portion is probably a separate piece that snaps onto the bumper.
+1
Old 07-30-2014, 12:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
YAY legitimate possibility of a Type S!!!!!
Old 07-30-2014, 12:52 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Mercedes, Audi, Infiniti, VW, just to name a few.

MB does different bumpers and grilles between their "luxury" line and "sport" lines of the same models.

Audi has the S-line bumpers that are available as an option.

Infinii uses different bumpers for their IPL cars, but also had different bumpers between the Sport and Journey versions of the same model.

VW offers an R-line trim on a few models and those are distinctly different from the regular bumpers.

Seems like this should be feasible for Acura to do as well.
Originally Posted by jshaw
Isn't there a major difference of volume between a Civic and...:

an Infiniti Q50 with its standard and "sport" front ends?
a Mercedes Benz C and E class with their "luxury" and "sport" front ends?
a BMW's 3 series with its 4 different front ends?
a Lexus IS with its standard and F Sport front ends?
Most also have different rear bumpers.

None of these cars sell in Civic volumes, either.
Nor does the Civic hybrid. Nor does the Civic Si sedan.

I see a theme here then -> S, sport, luxury, IPL, S-Line, F-sport, R-line etc.

When the 3G TL had the normal trim and Type S trim, there were different rear bumpers used too. Other than that, the exhaust pipes, front headlights, tail lights,etc, were all different.

Right now, the TLX does not seem to have a Type S trim, Sport line, S-line, Sport trim, etc.

By the way, I don't see any difference between the bumpers of a base A4 and A4 prestige with S-line. Just have a look on Audiusa.com.

I'd imagine those C Class, 3 series, and IS sell in many other countries too.

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Just two thing, his guess is just a guess & they did not make the number. If they had properly run the test they would have a good baseline number even if they hit the rev limiter in the 1:1 gear.

Broken in & light wheels are nice to speculate about but that is not what was tested.

I have a lot of dyno runs AT, MT & DCT & a 15% loss factor is a generally a very good number to use unless the manufacture is tanking the advertised rating.

My 335is had a tanked factory rating with 319whp vs 320hp advertised. Most normal 335 baseline DynoJet runs are around 265/270whp on 300hp advertised, about 11% loss. On a Mustang dyno they rate closer to 15% down.

Problem is the advertised number is a made up number for advertising & fitting into the model spread. It does not have a whole lot to do with what the engine actually produces. The BMW 300hp factory rated N54 early, N54 late & N55 early tested back to back at 282, 277 & 266 whp.

Nothing special about the Acura hitting an aftermarket industry norm on a DynoJet machine.

As for adding light wheels etc as soon as you start to bring in modifcations the TLX will get killed regardless of engine. With a JB4 those 5.4 to 60 328's will dip into the very high 4's to 60 & low 13's @ 105.

Point is they should be running a turbo 4 in the entry level & a new twin turbo V6 not a 14 or 15 year old N/A V6 in the high end car if they want to sell them as sport sedans.
The 15% loss i mentioned is based on the 260whp figure, not an estimated 275whp figure.

Yup, I have no doubt a typical MT is in the range of 10-15% loss. But we are talking about AT here. The Accord 6MT V6, rated at 278hp, got 260whp also on the same dyno for reference. That's a 7% loss. Going with your 15% estimate, then the Accord V6 is actually making around 300hp.

Yup, I heard all about the N54/N55. Those engines are pretty much all underrated.

I'm not sure why you are bringing mods to the table. The RLX and TLX do come with 18" rims standard, it's not exactly a mod.

As mentioned, the likes of Infiniti, Lexus, Cadillac, are all running on NA V6. You keep on talking about the 335i. It's well known that is the fastest in the straight in this class of cars. It's also a well known fact that it's priced higher than the norm. Heck, the starting price of 335i sedan is just a $1000 less than a fully loaded TLX SH-AWD Advance. The TLX won't beat that in the 1/4 mile, but it should fast enough to compete with the others in this class, like the IS350 and ATS 3.6. Again, we will need to wait for road tests to confirm.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by holografique
Because I think it's highly unlikely that someone is going to design something that is EXACTLY what we saw in the prototype rims. And it won't carry the Acura OEM logo. There is something to be said about getting unique parts that still carry the brand name/logo.

I think the point being made here is: what is so hard for Acura to simply offer up what they tease us with in the prototype? It's not like the rim design was soo alien / futuristic that it would have been impossible or impractical from a production or design perspective to produce. They can clearly design (and produce) far more complex and complicated rims as seen by the final production 19" TLX aero rims.

It just seems there is a real disconnect going on from an overall design perspective at Acura. To me it looks like (and smells like) classic disorganization of different design groups not being brought together to ensure a consistent and coherent design language and aesthetics. It's a classic problem of different groups doing their own things with their own agenda's, and someone at the top just hoping it all comes together, versus the different groups being led by a board or leadership that is making the final calls to ensure consistent design language across the board.

But I don't work at Acura, so I have absolutely no clue if that is the issue. That's just my observation based on the same things (and the same end results) I've seen at companies I've worked for (or with) and dealing with product design.

Thank you, I Couldn't have said it better. I prefer wheels from the manufacturer. I love the 19" advance wheels on my 4g, and was one of the main reasons I bought the car. I really don't care for BMW, but they get there wheels right 90% of the time. Why not Acura? I mentioned accessory wheels because they could make them strictly to sell, and not necessarily have to include them on the Advance models.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Also, wheels are wheels. Theres no valid reason why they cant produce them, unless there is some expensive process to produce them that Im missing. I don't care about the bumpers, or body kits, it was the wheels that made the car for me, and the ones being offered do it no justice. With the 4g they had two great wheels in the beginning, the 18 inch for the awd, and then the 19 inch accessory wheel which them became standard for the advance model if Im not mistaken. I don't know what they were smoking when they designed the wheels for the 5g. Bottom line is if they don't offer a decent looking wheel for this car, I wont be buying the car.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts
Launch Kit pictures

Figured, I'd post this... I scanned the entire thread looking for decent pics of the launch kit and didn't see much. Great discussion, but here is the kit for those interested. Images are from (http://www.tlxforums.com/forum/new-2...tion-pics.html)

Name:  2014-08-20193802.jpg
Views: 1189
Size:  104.6 KB

Name:  2014-08-20190309.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  94.5 KB

Name:  2014-08-20190303HDR.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  90.6 KB

Name:  2014-08-20190253.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  129.0 KB

Name:  2014-08-20193351.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  68.3 KB
Old 08-26-2014, 03:01 PM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
I think The kit looks better on black than white exterior.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:28 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Michelin tires on that one - is there any rhyme or reason to who gets Goodyear and who gets Michelin???
Old 08-26-2014, 04:26 PM
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Michelin tires on that one - is there any rhyme or reason to who gets Goodyear and who gets Michelin???
The limited quantity "Launch Kit" gets Michelin I believe.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dysonlu
The limited quantity "Launch Kit" gets Michelin I believe.
I thought it was dependant on the rim you get? Good Year or Bridgestone with the standard v6 rims and Michelin with the upgraded Diamond Cut rims. I could be wrong but I think that's what the dealer told me.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:50 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Originally the 4 cylinder was to get Goodyears (225/55R17), the V6's were to get Bridgestones (225/50R18), and the V6 SH-AWD were to get Goodyears (225/50R18), so possibly the optional diamond cut 19" rims are Michelin.

Last edited by Rocketsfan; 08-26-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts
According to the other thread, for $3200, the launch kit includes:

Body kit, 19" rims and Michelin tires in the pics. The original 18"rims and tires that come on the car also belong to you.
So, that breaks down to the front and rear lower accents, side skirts, rear spoiler, 19" wheels, and the Michelin tires. I guess you get to keep the standard wheels that come with the car/trim you select.

I also read that the launch kit is available in white and black at this time
Old 08-27-2014, 01:56 PM
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by kongx7
I thought it was dependant on the rim you get? Good Year or Bridgestone with the standard v6 rims and Michelin with the upgraded Diamond Cut rims. I could be wrong but I think that's what the dealer told me.
Ah, I think you're right!
Old 08-27-2014, 01:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
The kit should have REALLY come with chrome trim to wrap around the front air dam like the prototype. Would look 100% better. I do like it though!

But I have always been more of a front lip and splash guards sort of guy.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:10 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't followed this whole thread, but I agree that the prototype and production version are just different. Yes, they have the same lines on the hood, doors, etc. The production version is just missing something. Maybe it's the ground effects, smaller wheels, ugly rims (what's wrong with a decent 5-spoke?) I don't know. The prototype was damn sexy. Nobody expected the side-view mirrors and all the chrome in the bumper to make it to production. But, I couldn't help but be disappointed when the production model came out (3G owner patiently waiting to upgrade). It just looks like a sedan. NOT a sport sedan. I'm trying to like it, I really am. The overlay kits for the bumpers are a disappointment too. Why can't they make a model with the prototype wheels and ground effects? That would create monstrous demand!

I don't usually get personal here but I guess it's a pet peeve of mine because i often see this behavior in real life here and there; I had a feeling you weren't sincerely asking a real question, as if you didn't know the answer. It's kinda annoying ya know? Not the first time I saw you write like that. So if you know something just give the information straight like everybody else. Why try to challenge or ask a dumb question like a trap and wait for someone to fall in? We know you work for Acura, thanks. You may feel better because it makes you feel smarter. You aren't really. We are all intelligent in our own facets. Think about it.

I was thinking "concept car" when you asked the question. Those don't use production tooling. The prototype often does. I didn't really think about it when you asked. But indeed this was a TLX prototype not a concept.

I'm not a photographer either but I am pretty adept with my D-SLR. I understand what you mean about the focal length of the lens causing perceptive distortion that can mess with the proportions and how 2 photos can't always be matched and overlaid to scale. It's the major reason why proportions look different in photos than in person. But when you use 2 photos and look at them 2 dimensionally instead of 3 (i.e. side shot) even if there is perceptive distortion it tends to be symmetrical if the image is centered (unless the lens was really screwed up) and you would see it is being caused by optics.

Saying the concept used production tooling and perhaps this is just an effect of using larger wheels on a car that sits lower giving it the illusion of a tighter package makes sense. However;

The prototype just didn't seem to have this kind of profile at all. Sure, maybe this effect would disappear if I saw it in person and this could all still be about lenses. I have looked quite a bit at different pics of prototype vs. production from different sources. It could be either way, reality vs. distortion it's hard to tell. Truthfully I'd have to see both in person to figure it out but something is screwy.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:04 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by kongx7
I think The kit looks better on black than white exterior.
Ya, because it hides it. I think it could look even better if it came in a clear, transparent finish. haha.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:11 AM
Instructor

Ya, because it hides it. I think it could look even better if it came in a clear, transparent finish. haha.
They should have just incorporated that look into the bumpers to have the transparent finish instead of it being an add on bolt kit with that silly wrap around look over the rear reflectors. That to me would have been a standard design!
Old 08-28-2014, 12:00 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
nah...it's the same. Until I saw the facebook page, I had hopes too but seeing the pics confirmed its the same kit.
I just took a V6 Elites or a ride here in Canada. It had the so called launch kit on it, and indeed the front end is different than pics I've seen on Acura Canada site and U.S. site?
The salesman was touting how inexpensive the kit was and it added a bit to the looks of the car, and personally I liked the wheels.
However my first question when looking at the front end was, where are the fog lights in your super duper kit? All the pictures of kits I've seen show fog lights. With the kit I saw, it didn't even look like fog lights could be added, which I told him seemed very odd for an upgrade.
And now that I think about it he said they only got four kits in and was available in black or white only, could it be they just cheaped out and made a few kits without fog lights??
Old 08-29-2014, 12:46 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Launch kit in Canada. Note the lack of fog lights?
Attached Thumbnails Prototype "Launch kit" available on pre-orders-image.jpg