NavTraffic Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 04:32 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
NavTraffic Issue?

Not sure if any of you have run into this, but I'll explain it here to see if it sounds familiar.

I took my car in for A1 service last week. When I get in the car, the radio is on the XM Preview channel (1). Didn't think anything of it until I noticed that within the minute or two it takes for Navtraffic to "boot up" there was no flow data on NavTraffic along with no traffic incidents. On my way home I called XM and had a reset signal sent, but that didn't resolve the issue.

Figuring there may be a temporary glitch in the XM matrix, I waited until the following morning.

The next morning, I didn't have an issue with the radio being on the XM preview channel, but NavTraffic was still non-existant.

Called the dealer wondering if they did anything that could have hosed up anything. They said they wouldn't have connected the car to their computer for a simple oil change and tire rotation, but they told me to bring it in.

After a few minutes of being there they come back and tell me they think it's an XM issue since they went out to a couple of loaners and noticed that Navtraffic wasn't working either. I immediately became skeptical since I know the dealer wouldn't activate that feature on loaners. It sounded to me like the tech was clueless. I then called my boss who has a 2008 MDX and he confirmed that Navtraffic was working fine for him.

They then said that they couldn't connect my car to their computer because "it was down" but the would disconnect it from the battery for several minutes to see if it would reset.

Well lo and behold, the tech comes in and tells me that it's now working, but I then had to go and reconfigure all of my settings through the mid along with my presets. I took a small road trip that Friday and drove the car all weekend into Monday with no problems.

Well last night I go home and all is well. I park in the garage, and leave within an hour to take my son to hockey practice. Once I start the car, the radio is again on the XM preview channel with no Navtraffic. My son then goes to change the station to one of his hip hop/rap stations (that's another gripe), and the display shows "XM loading", and it would spontaneously change the station after a a minute. It did this for the whole ride to the rink, but then cleared itself up once I turned the car off and restarted it, although Navtraffic was still MIA.

Got home and disconnected the negative cable on the battery for just a brief moment. I had to reenter the Nav code, but it was quick enough that I didn't lose my presets and settings, but it was enough that now NavTraffic was working.

It was fine this morning coming in, and we'll see if it continues to be on the way home.

Any one run into this?
Old 10-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
I had something similar. It was quite a while ago - at least 6 months if not longer. My XM would go into that XM loading somewhat randomly. It was not after the car was serviced. It happened about once every couple days over a 3 week period. It went into that state when I started the car and would not reset until car was turned off for some amount of time, i.e. at least 15 minutes or so. (obviously, Navtraffic was also not working) I was going to make an appointment and then the issue went away nad has never returned.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Angry

Sounds fishy to me. And the smell seems directed to your service tech.

1) Even an simple A1 they SHOULD be reading the diagnostics, as part of the 'inspection' we supposedly pay for over the price of an oil change.

2) If he ported into the diagnostics, he may have monkeyed with the XM / NAVI reset. It sounds like it was reinitialized....but only half way.

3) Which explains the full reboot (Oh it's fixed NOW) which required you to reset all your personal settings.

4) If he did fully reinitialize the system he SHOULD have saved your personal setting and re-entered them for you.

5) Reinitializing the system requires some period of uninterupted satellite sight / contact. If it was not done correctly, when you parked in the garage, you interrupted the reinitialization, starting the cycle over again.

6) Is it possible, or did he mention he attempted a flash memory upgrade? Do you know what flash version you had before the visit?

7) Could he have attempted a DST upgrade (and failed miserably).

My guess the tech was clueless or learning on your RL. He did something half asses and tried to scare you away with technology phantoms.

Always specify you expect your presets to be reset if lost. I don't care if he has to write them down on his hand and manually re-enter them. But they should always put the RL on a backup power source so they are not lost in a battery swap. NAVI reinitialization will lose presets, but they should KNOW that and prepare to restore them.

I am blessed with a great tech (who generously accepts my pizza deliveries and happy hours). He has told me any NAVI work it is Acura proceedure to record the customers settings and restore them (Drivers 1 & 2). The only thing the customer will need to reset (in some situations) are the seat memory and wheel settings.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:27 AM

I too miss the service I got from my dealer back in Illinois. They really knew the car.

The techs here seemed like they didn't even understand NavTraffic. Especially when they said they went to check the loaners and it wasn't working there either.

Come on, do you not know that this is a subscription service and the dealer isn't going to activate it on a loaner car?

To be fair to them, I was in a hurry to leave as I had to get on the road. If I had given them more time I'd like to think they would have handled the presets.

So far it's still working.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:54 PM

Resurrecting this thread since this is a different issue than the other thread (NavTraffic Cuts out).

For those unfamiliar with this, start from the top.

This has been happening on and off since I started this thread, but because I couldn't get it to happen consistently it was pointless to bring it in since they would tell me they couldn't do anything if they couldn't recreate the problem.

Well, I got in the car the other morning and the radio was set at the XM Preview channel and NavTraffic wasn't working. I called the dealer and told them that while I understood that couldn't just take me in unscheduled, I wanted to bring the car in so that they could see first hand that the feature wasn't working. The service manager said sure.

They took my car and I could see the tech had it parked outside and was fiddling with it. A short time later the porter comes in and tells me that they got what they needed, validated the issue and will contact Acura Technical support. In the meantime I could take my car (they had washed it for me).

Spoke to the service manager today and they said there is a TSB out on the issue and that it requires a firmware upgrade. The TSB outlines the behavior EXACTLY as I've experienced it. When starting the car the XM radio set to the Preview Channel, no NavTraffic, and then in a day or two the NavTraffic begins working again.

They need to order the card in order to perform the upgrade. The SM did say that there might be an issue as to whether AcuraCare will cover this since it doesn't involve replacing parts. Before I lost my cool the SM told me to stay calm as he was working on it. He said that since I first reported the issue in October of 2008, and that there is a TSB, he's hopeful it'll get addressed. In the meantime they've ordered the card that contains the update.

I'll post the TSB number once I know more.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:25 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the update. You would think there would be a Database somewhere with all the TSB issued
Old 01-30-2011, 12:32 AM
5th Gear

Question Nav Traffic issues

Do you know if there is a Database that has a list of TSB's?
Thanks,
Old 01-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Look in the 2GRL garage for TSBs and Acura ServiceNews. Follow the specific directions from csmeance on how to access the closed to the public server.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:02 PM

I checked the database and found a couple of TSBs related to NavTraffic, but none of them mentioned my issues.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:16 PM
5th Gear

Smile NEW!! Information Re: Nav Traffic or Nav Weather issues

With the information from your Resurrected post regarding Nav Traffic, I discovered that it also impacts the Nav Weather.
I Spoke with one of the Service Managers At my Service Dealer "Pohanka Acura" in Chantilly VA. and what it boils down to is;

1. Yes there WAS a TSB issued by Acura but after changing a lot of parts on cars accross the country over the past 45 days. Acura completed their investigation and Suspended the TSB after contacting XM and discovering that an update that they push out corrupted alot of accounts making the paid services seem expired. XM is aware of the issue.
2. I checked my car and it showed;
Traffic information - Expired
Weather information - Expired
I tried to log into my xmradio.com account and I was NOT able to login even after verifying my userid and password so I called in and the 1st tier was no help insisting that I try more variations of my login finally he understood it needed to be escalated.
Got to Second tier and I told him "I have had Problems over the last 45 days with my Nav Traffic and Nav Weather" he was able to look at my account and see my radio and se that as a result of an updat (from XM) it hosed my account he said that XM is aware of the problem and how to resolve it. He tried to fix it but was unable at his access level to fix it so he had to open up a ticket to have my account resolved and they will call me back when it's fixed. ( I will give them Two days before I call back) just to make sure I'm not forgotten. I will keep you posted on the next steps
Old 02-02-2011, 09:23 PM

Thanks for the note.I think the situation you mentioned is for the most recent issues. The one related to this thread has happened to me off and on for upwards of two years, although very sporadic.

The dealer is pretty confident the software patch is it. Unfortunately AcuraCare won't cover it. THe charge is only the hour of shop ($101) to do the upload. They have the software and the cable. My SM is contacting the regional manager to see if they will cover it under goodwill since I originally reported this while I was under warranty and it was documented but they couldn't recreate it.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Missing my

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Whoops, I didn't know there were two threads with the same issue here. I posted this in the other thread a few hours ago. I hope it helps.

Hey guys, I was looking for my radio code in the binder the original owner gave me for the RL. I came across this TSB that may help some of you out. It is TSB 05-022

"Product Update: AcuraLink Control Unit Causes Excessive Battery Drain, Refreshes XM Program Data Slowly, Does Not Receive Real-Time Traffic (Replaces 05-006, Product Update: AcuraLink Control Unit Does Not Receive Real-Time Traffic, dated May 3, 2005)

Under certain conditions, the control unit mau cause excessive drain on the battery with the ignition switch off; if the owner is listening to XM Satelite Radio, they may notice a delay in refreshing of the display screen; If the owner parked inside an enclosed structure and then drove outside, they may not see Real-Time Traffic on the display screen.

The repair is to replace the AcuraLink Control Unit"

I don't know that this will be useful because several of you have '07+, but it could help. Good luck to you guys!
Old 02-03-2011, 09:47 PM
5th Gear

Thanks ! I'll Check it out.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:48 PM
5th Gear

Cool

I'm Fixed as of Today! YAY!!