Extreme front end wobble

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 10:07 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extreme front end wobble

The other day I started getting some really bad front end wobble, which doing a quick search, turns out to be kind of common in the threads. (2004 tsx 89,000) Thought it was a tire out of alignment, but I pulled over and smoke was coming from the front right rotor/caliper area. I figured a warped rotor, so I ordered rotors and pads. This morning I jacked up the front end to see if there is any tie rod or wheel bearing play, for some reason I decided to start the car and found the front right wheel is spinning in neutral, press the clutch and it stops. Left front doesn't do this. Anyone else ever see this? This may be the reason for the overheated right hub. Any suggestions or diagnosis? I cancelled the rotor/pad order and I'm bitting the bullet and taking it the the dealer.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:53 AM
Instructor

Took it in to the dealer and they turned the rotors and balanced the tires. I knew the rotors needed turning, but I have never felt a wobble as extreme as that from warped rotors. I guess it was a perfect storm of tires just out of balance and warped rotors. The smoke must have been from rotor/brake pad contact, but the brake pads had even wear and didn't even need replacement. The pads and Brembo rotors were less than a year old.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Instructor

Back to the drawing pad. After about 200 miles the wobble and overheated caliper came back. The caliper is either getting stuck or being applied. I turned off VSA on the way home and the caliper was cold when I got home. I will tell the technician to check the vsa, abs, and drive train as well. As I stated before, on jack stands the right wheel spins in neutral, the left doesn't. That sounds screwy to me. My dumb a** forgot to mention this when I took it in the first time.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:57 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks like you have it handled - but, either way, you'll want new rotors. Since they resurfaced them, the cross-section probably varies throughout the rotor, which will just make it warp again (even if you fix the possible VSA/drivetrain issue). You are right, the right wheel turning and the left wheel not while in neutral is definitely not right. Keep us updated.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:19 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also had the same problem Deelover, did you get it solved?