Hail...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 10:18 AM
Animal Whisperer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hail...

My car is cursed. I recently wrote about how I was run off the road by someone in my less than three month old TL. It finally went into the shop this past week to get fixed courtesy of the other insurance company and then got hailed on while on their lot waiting to be repaired. I haven't seen it, but I asked how it looked. The guy said "have you seen a shotgun blast? Everything facing up looks like that". Then they said that my insurance company has to foot the bill. I verified with a former employer @ a car dealership. They have liability, but it covers accidents or some crap. If anyone else has any other input, I'd appreciate it. In the meantime, I'm feeling pretty bad.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Racer

mmm... may want to talk to a lawyer or your insurance about that since the car was in their posession and care. If it started hailing outside, you as the cars owner would have put the car in the garage to protect it. They did not. So I think they would not be completely in the clear about liability. Maybe some form you signed when taking the car there said they are not liable for any act of god. But then...did it really hail or did some doofus there drop a box of large ball bearings on your car.
Accidents happen. I remember when I was getting one of my old cars repaired (front bumper) at a body shop, I went to look at the car and while I was inspecting it, one of the workers moved a floor jack and the arm of the jack fell and put a nice 12" long crease where the roof and quarter panel meet. So with the shock on my face and the prospect of having a front bumper, quater panel and roof with new paint, they agreed to fix all the blemishes on my car and repaint the whole car to my satisfaction.
A freak accident worked out in my favor.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:39 AM
Animal Whisperer

Not sure, I'll give it a shot, but in short I don't think that's how it works for hail when a car is simply on the lot to get repaired. Anyone else have any insight into this?
Old 05-07-2006, 07:51 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
It may depend on the state but I know in CT the car owner's insurance covers damage, theft, etc. even if at the dealer's lot. We had a stereo stolen while the car was in for work and after checking it out it was clear that our insurance, not the dealers, was the one to cover it. If they accidentally damage the car that's different.

Seriously, it sucks about our car but if you left it on your friend's driveway and went somewhere in his car and then it hailed, would your friend's insurance have to pay? Of course not. It's no different when you leave a car at a repair lot. People just like to think it is but it's not. They probably had plenty of damage themselves.