Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Stunning!

Lexus wins again.

This thing is beautiful inside and out.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:56 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
That front-end is just hideous. I was hoping for a new powertrain but it looks to just be the same V6 from 2005 and of course no manual tranny. And why does it weigh more than the 4-door IS?? Overall it reminds me of the FR-S/BRZ. G37/4-Series/A5/C-Coupe > RC.
And this guy thinks it's just hideous.

Wonder why.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:59 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + BRZ

Wonder why.
Nobody takes that clown seriously.
The following users liked this post:
Costco (01-09-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 02:04 PM

Received 5,880 Likes on 2,898 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Nobody takes that clown seriously.
Pretty sure he takes himself seriously...scary enough.
Costco (01-09-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 02:07 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Prefer the toned down version posted earlier.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by chill_dog
Prefer the toned down version posted earlier.
I don't think they're mutually exclusive (if that's what you were saying).

This is the RC-F. I agree to some extent the 300H looks better.

But the RC-F with the IS-F's V8 ... Dayum.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:07 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
The crazy grille works better on this F widebody. The Hybrid just looks like it has a huge underbite.

Is this based on the BRZ platform?
Old 01-08-2014, 04:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
Whoa.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Im sure the front end will grow on me but currently not a fan at all.

The rest of the car is pretty dope though.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:04 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Couple of things:
- It may have carbon fiber and alcantara trim on top of a regular IS interior, but all the buttons are still just plain plastic. Contrast that with the latest Audi/Merc/BMW interiors where the buttons have chrome accents. When you sit in the car this makes a big difference in quality feel. Same with steering wheel, it's all leather/plastic. The German wheels make good use of chrome/metal to look more expensive. Besides the leather everything you touch in the Lexus is plastic, nothing has a cold metal feel like in the German cars.
- I was curious to see the new Lexus multimedia interface, hoping they would have some major improvement. The only change I see is a touchpad instead of a mouse, the menu system is identical to the old one. Seriously? You STILL have the same boring graphics as on the IS, you still need to move around a mouse cursor to find the same shitty icons. Come on Lexus.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:25 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,134 Likes on 4,804 Posts
Dear Lexus,

I like the RC-F that you have created. I love the design, even though it looks like an accord from the A-pillar back. I love the interior. I love the 5.0 V8 that this thing will undoubtedly get. However, there is one glaring ommision. Please follow the below steps, and you will steal more sales from BMW.

1) Remove 8AT.
2) Install 6MT.
3) ????
4) Profit.

Thank you,
A guy that really wants this car
Old 01-09-2014, 12:20 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
That looks mean as fuck. The front end, a little too much so. But I would rock that.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:30 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,490 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Dear Lexus,

I like the RC-F that you have created. I love the design, even though it looks like an accord from the A-pillar back. I love the interior. I love the 5.0 V8 that this thing will undoubtedly get. However, there is one glaring ommision. Please follow the below steps, and you will steal more sales from BMW.

1) Remove 8AT.
2) Install 6MT.
3) ????
4) Profit.

Thank you,
A guy that really wants this car
Come drive the 8AT I bet you will like it. I love my TSX 6MT but in daily traffic I love my 8AT.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
Come drive the 8AT I bet you will like it. I love my TSX 6MT but in daily traffic I love my 8AT.
I despise torque convertors and automatics bore me to death. Unless it's a supercar, I don't even want a DCT.
The following 2 users liked this post by civicdrivr:
JS + XES (01-09-2014), justnspace (01-09-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 02:38 PM

I feel the same as Morgan but I will say that 8AT is really impressive. I think asianspec posted a video a long time ago showing how fast it shifted/downshifted and it was like a DCT... very fast.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
I despise torque convertors and automatics bore me to death. Unless it's a supercar, I don't even want a DCT.
Forgot to add - I'd gladly drive your car if you'd like
Old 01-09-2014, 04:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
I'll be all over that car if it had a better motor and 6mt.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:54 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
I can't see Lexus putting a 6MT on any of their cars. It's sad.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Here's the link for the live reveal: http://new.livestream.com/LexusInter...l/Detroit-2014

<iframe src="http://new.livestream.com/accounts/4739033/events/2625871/feed_embed?width=480&height=900" width="480" height="900" frameborder="0" id="feed-embed-stand-alone" scrolling="auto"></iframe>
Old 01-10-2014, 03:24 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + BRZ

Wonder why.
Apparently I'm not the only one. But I wouldn't expect a blind fanboy like you to see. Jackass.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
Apparently I'm not the only one. But I wouldn't expect a blind fanboy like you to see. Jackass.
Aren't you the guy who frequently decries alleged "personal attacks"? Hypocrisy much?
jwong77 (01-12-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 09:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts

Waiting to see what they price this at.
Being told around $70K starting to compete with the M4 & sporting possibly around 450Hp to entice buyers a little more.

RC's should start being showcased in the Spring, so I think we'll see our first F model around August.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Werent the specs leaked or these just unofficial?

MOTORTREND ARTICLE

One glance at this new Lexus' slinky profile, fat tires, and bulging rear haunches suggests it's a pretty loving homage to BMW's M4 coupe. Move around front, however, and the similarity ends with a visage that is the polar opposite of a jovial Bavarian. Chief engineer Yukihiko Yaguchi confirms that while his baby will compete on price and performance with the M4, Mercedes C63 AMG, and outgoing Cadillac CTS-V (or forthcoming ATS-V) coupes, in terms of personality and soul it will feel as removed from those cars as a Wagnerian opera is from Kabuki theater. And the distinctive personality he's referring to is far more than skin deep, deriving largely from the still naturally aspirated 5.0-liter V-8 engine that's now a segment exclusive. This engine shares only its basic cylinder block with that of the outgoing IS F sedan. The cylinder heads and all moving parts are completely new. Friction reductions allow the engine to rev 500 rpm faster than the IS F's, to 7300 rpm. A switch to electric phasing on all four cams brings greater variability and precision, and lets the engine borrow the Prius' more efficient Atkinson cycle operation during low-demand cruising conditions. So, while BMW downsized its M3/M4 engine from a 4.0-liter V-8 to a 3.0-liter I-6 and added twin turbochargers to compensate, Lexus virtually downsizes its 5.0-liter V-8 to roughly a 4.2-liter just by leaving the intake valves open for part of the compression stroke during Atkinson operation

"The ideal Atkinson cycle captures and compresses an amount of air that, when combusted and expanded throughout the entire power cycle, results in a cylinder pressure that's near atmospheric at the bottom of the piston's stroke, meaning the engine has wrung every bit of energy out of the fuel. Drop the hammer, and those valves shut in time to give you the full 12.3:1 compression (up from 11.8:1) and 5.0 liters of furious power -- 480 horses' worth (up substantially from the IS F's 416). A newly modified version of the current D4S direct-injection with secondary port injection helps make all this work. Torque ratings and further specifications are pending.

Power and twist route aft through a similar eight-speed automatic, upgraded with different control logic for D-mode operation, and a track-optimized Sport-plus shift schedule. Naturally, a manual mode relinquishes full control to the driver's shift-paddling or stick-rowing pleasure. At the rear axle is a torque-vectoring differential that can be programmed via the TVD switch on the console for standard, slalom, or track vectoring. That middle position optimizes for very quick side-to-side transitions found in magazine slalom tests and autocross courses. The rotary knob marked Eco, Normal, Sport controls throttle response, shift-schedule in Drive, and the electric power steering feel. The suspension is not adjustable

Speaking of suspenders, 70 percent of the hardware is altered from that of the IS F sedan, with new geometry and more use of aluminum. It rides 0.2 inch lower than the RC 350 coupe. Relative to the IS F's Brembo brake system, the RC F's is upgraded in front by increasing size from 14.2 to 15.0 inches in diameter and adding 0.15 inch in thickness, and in back by doubling the caliper piston count from two to four. Cross-drilling is ditched in favor of grooves all around; no carbon-ceramic option will be offered. Three designs of forged 19-inch wheels are available -- one of which is hand-polished -- and they're wrapped in Michelin Pilot Super Sports sized 255/35 in front, 275/35 in back. Yasuo Kajino designed the striking RC coupe and oversaw its F transformation, which alters everything forward of the A-pillar from the functionally vented hood and front fenders to the more aggressive front fascia incorporating oil cooler inlets for the engine (left) and transmission (right), and a more aggressive spindle grille, the mesh of which is composed of little Fs from the bumper level down. Moving rearward we find a BMW homage carbon-fiber roof panel (saving 13 pounds), bolder rocker panels, a decklid incorporating a wing that rises at 50 mph to reduce lift and create downforce at high speeds, and a rear fascia incorporating two pair of stacked exhaust outlets

Inside, carbon-fiber trim adorns the door panels and passenger dash and Alcantara accents the doors and heavily bolstered sport bucket seats. A special steering wheel gets an oval-section rim, and a unique thin-film transistor gauge cluster places a fixed tachometer ring in its center, a smaller speedometer ring to the right, and offers a choice of four display themes for conveying various sport and touring information such as g circle, track lap timing, tire pressures, etc. Making its debut on the RC is a new infotainment controller that swaps the old haptic mouse for a haptic touchpad. You can't write letters on it with your fingers like in an Audi, but as you swipe across it, the pad provides vibrations and feedback to ease menu selections. Bigger wheels, brakes, and bodywork mean the RC F will weigh more than the IS F, but Yaguchi-san assures us the coupe will handily outperform its sedan predecessor on the dragstrip and the Nürburgring, and that the way its naturally aspirated V-8 delivers torque, combined with its aggressive and distinctive appearance, will draw its own unique audience. We look forward to joining said audience for a preview performance and sharing our review with you forthwith.
I have high hopes for this thing. A bit heavy but lets see what it can do!
Old 01-10-2014, 10:01 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Its just too garish for my eyes at the moment, at least on the outside. I LOVE the interior and gauge cluster but the front and rear look painfully overdone. That said, the new IS doesn't picture well either and in person looks much better. I'm thinking it may grow on me but as of now, no thanks. Of course I'm mighty disappointed with the new M4 as well, honestly.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Its so over the top that im starting to like it, a lot.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/j3aThDqnLPg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
JS + XES (01-12-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 02:20 AM
brahs be jelly

480 hp from 5.0L V8... very impressive given todays emissions standards.

The engine sounds very complex with two combustion cycles & injection systems so modding will probably be difficult and expensive.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:24 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MTEAZY
480 hp from 5.0L V8... very impressive given todays emissions standards.

The engine sounds very complex with two combustion cycles & injection systems so modding will probably be difficult and expensive.
4.2L V8, not 5.0L

Small displacement high rev and high compression V8, this thing is gonna sound soooo good.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:10 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
4.2L V8, not 5.0L

Small displacement high rev and high compression V8, this thing is gonna sound soooo good.
Acutally, it is a 5.0 liter.

Lexus Press Release

Faster, Sharper, Lower, Wider – All-New Lexus RC F Performance Coupe Elevates the Driving Experience
  • Lexus' Most Powerful V8 Engine Generates More than 450 Horsepower
  • Latest Iteration of the F Marque in a Coupe Bodystyle
  • Lexus-First Use of Torque Vectoring Differential for Incredible Cornering
  • Purpose Designed Instrumentation and Sport Seats

DETROIT (Jan. 14, 2014) – Want power, precision and passion? Lexus revealed its most powerful V8 engine in the all-new 2015 RC F performance coupe at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The F performance model, based on the RC coupe, gets its powerful roar from more than 450 horsepower and more than 383 lb.-ft. torque.

To get that amount of power efficiently to the ground the RC F will make use of a Torque Vectoring Differential (TVD) to ensure remarkable handling and performance. The power will transfer through a newly calibrated eight-speed Sports Direct Shift (SPDS) transmission with paddle shifters.

"I've built RC F to be enjoyed by all enthusiasts – no matter what their level of expertise," said RC F chief engineer Yukihiko Yaguchi.

"There's a misconception that racing cars are hard to drive. In fact, they're easy in the right hands because they've been purpose-built for the skill level of their drivers. It's the same with RC F.

"Electronics can be modified instantly on board to provide appropriate levels of performance and protection. But even at its basic setting, it's a blast."

Driving Dynamics with More Power and Usability

The RC F has an all-new 5.0-liter 32-valve V8 engine that will provide increased maximum power at higher engine rpm than previously possible. For the first time in a Lexus performance engine, the RC F uses the Atkinson cycle at cruising speeds for enhanced fuel economy and then switches to the Otto cycle at higher rpm to develop impressive performance levels.

Driver engagement has been made possible by purpose designed sound and power delivery. A uniquely tuned eight-speed Sports Direct Shift (SPDS) transmission improves linear throttle response.

It helps the driver control the torque and power precisely as it is applied.

The newly calibrated VDIM adds a vertical G-sensor to provide greater vehicle stability

Torque Vectoring Differential

The RC F uses a Torque Vectoring Differential (TVD), a first in a Lexus, to increase driving performance. It has three operating modes:

Standard for a balance of nimble performance and stability;
Slalom for emphasis on nimble steering response; and
Track to help with consistent stability, ensuring the vehicle stays on the intended corning line as the driver applies more throttle.

Handling

The foundation for the vehicle's mechanical grip is the highly rigid body with large cross-section rocker panels and a very stiff front lower brace. Specialized Lexus manufacturing techniques are also used, including body adhesives, laser-screw welding, laser brazing and multi-spot welding. Grip is further enhanced through use of a wider tire and wheel assembly.

RC F has front and rear coil-spring independent suspension, with monotube gas-filled shock absorbers and ball-jointed stabilizer bars. Unsprung weight is reduced by the adoption of three new 19-inch diameter forged aluminum wheels which minimize tire/wheel assembly mass and maximize rigidity.

Exterior Design

Lexus RC F adds to the stylish body of the new RC coupe on which it is based. The RC F features its own version of the Lexus signature spindle grille which dominates the front of the vehicle from hood line to lower lip. The grille has a subtle F-mesh pattern on the lower half.

In profile view RC F has a unique front hood which raises the peak of the vehicle, creating a powerful side view.

The RC F takes design cues from the Lexus LFA supercar, especially in essential air cooling and aerodynamics. Its hood air vent, such as those on the LFA, combined with front cooling ducts contribute to engine cooling and overall vehicle stability.

As in the LFA, an active rear spoiler is incorporated into the trunk lid to provide down force at speeds of more than 50 mph. The active spoiler is a highlight of RC F's aerodynamic package which includes careful tuning of the underbody, the intakes in the grille and the front fender vents, and strategic placement of the aero stabilizing fins.

To the side, front fender ducts in the shape of an L also aid cooling performance while adding to the aggressive stance.

The RC F's available carbon fiber package offers a clear coated carbon fiber roof and active rear spoiler drawn from the LFA production experience.

Interior Design

Uniquely designed components, including combination meters, the steering wheel, seats, ornamentation and pedals, convey a sense of connection with the driver that only a Lexus F performance model can achieve.

RC F's all-new combination meters are further developed from LFA while also referencing aircraft cockpit instruments. The meters provide a wide range of easy to read information for the various drive modes.

The combination meters include a large centrally mounted tachometer that alters according to drive mode, digital and analog speedometer, differential torque vectoring monitor, G-Force meter, oil and water temperature gauges, mileage information and a stopwatch.

The driver's connection to the RC F is paramount. The RC F debuts a Lexus-first elliptical cross-section thick grip steering wheel for greater control during performance driving. The placement, shape and operation of paddle shifters make it easier to change gears on the track and in other performance circumstances.

The all-new high back seats have been designed for exceptional holding performance. An integrated foaming technique creates a highly supportive and taut fitting seat with trim material that stays fixed.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:32 PM
Team Owner

where did i read the 4.2L V8 from?

oh Motortrend. Stupid liars.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If the RC-F starts at $70K, it will not compete well against the M3/M4 that starts at approximately $63K and $65K. From a performance perspective, the 480 hp isn't that impressive either when you consider the fact that the car will weigh close to 4000 lbs whereas the BMWs will weigh about 3500 lbs.

Assuming both are priced equally with similar options, M3/M4 still wins by virtue of the available 6MT and better overall styling. Personally, I don't mind the over the top grille or excessive styling flourishes. I don't like the other things such as the poorly proportioned hood that makes this car look like a beluga whale (similar to the IS-F's nasty hood). The straight flat interior dash design also looks poor - like it came out of a 1980s Corolla. Not a bad thing for an economy car, but not appropriate for a $70K car. Same goes for the GS350 interior.
VTEC Racer (01-15-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 08:19 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Old 02-24-2014, 12:02 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Stunning!

Lexus wins again.

This thing is beautiful inside and out.
Great post. Lexus been winning for 20+ years, it's not even impressive anymore. It's the Lexus standard. In fact if it wasn't for the Japanese disaster, Lexus would have now been #1 in Luxury Sales in America for 13+ years. It took a natural disaster from the Gods to boost BMW to #1 over Lexus.

This RC Coupe is superior to the upcoming M4 in every single way. It looks aggressive,mean,stylish, and just overall amazing.

Lexus have given us the performance and dash of BMW but kept the famous luxury of Lexus+a dab of Mercedes.

Another thing is this:
Lexus IS and ES in December:
Units Sold:

The new Lexus IS is definitely a huge player in the BMW 3 Segment. Lexus is moving towards aggression and appearance but is not losing their luxurious touch.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy8888
Great post. Lexus been winning for 20+ years, it's not even impressive anymore. It's the Lexus standard. In fact if it wasn't for the Japanese disaster, Lexus would have now been #1 in Luxury Sales in America for 13+ years. It took a natural disaster from the Gods to boost BMW to #1 over Lexus.

This RC Coupe is superior to the upcoming M4 in every single way. It looks aggressive,mean,stylish, and just overall amazing.

Lexus have given us the performance and dash of BMW but kept the famous luxury of Lexus+a dab of Mercedes.

Another thing is this:
Lexus IS and ES in December:
Units Sold:

The new Lexus IS is definitely a huge player in the BMW 3 Segment. Lexus is moving towards aggression and appearance but is not losing their luxurious touch.
Didn't you create a "good-bye" thread? When are you going to follow-thru on that?
The following 4 users liked this post by ttribe:
charliemike (02-25-2014), cob3683 (02-25-2014), Costco (02-24-2014), JS + XES (02-28-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 12:09 PM

MTEASY, I thought we went over this. Duplicate accounts are against the rules.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:24 PM
brahs be jelly

Originally Posted by ttribe
Didn't you create a "good-bye" thread? When are you going to follow-thru on that?
Originally Posted by Costco
MTEASY, I thought we went over this. Duplicate accounts are against the rules.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/unRldLdllZ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-24-2014, 12:47 PM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
You know when Lexus is doing things right when Jeremy Clarkson starts liking their stuff.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:00 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Its growing on me but still a little weird. One thing is for sure, Lexus is at least going aggressive.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:23 AM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice looking car and effort by Lexus; performance should be really, really solid with this car.

That being said, I would still take the RS5 over it.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Post 2015 Lexus RC 350 F Sport Revealed

Quick Reply: Lexus: RC News