Ripped Off!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2001, 02:47 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Ripped Off!!

We now have what I believe is the first documented TL to be stolen! This lady that works in my building has (or had) a '99 that was bone stock. Her daughter took the car saturday night, parked it in a garage and that was the last they seen of it. Cops are searching for the car now but hopes are thin in retrieving it in one piece. I guess the TL security system sucks. Guess I better get my aftermarket alarm soon!
Old 01-30-2001, 02:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Think her daugter is lyin?? Maybe she wrecked it, and dumped it?? Dont think anyone can steal our car without having the ORIGINAL key. There's a special chip inside the key in order for it to start the engine.
Old 01-30-2001, 02:58 AM
Burning Brakes

DaYaM!!! Imma FREAK now!!!
Old 01-30-2001, 03:08 AM

Unhappy

If theives want it, they can get it!

------------------
'00 Acura 3.2TL Laguna Green
V1
no mods yet, but it's coming...
Old 01-30-2001, 03:33 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Lawaia:
We now have what I believe is the first documented TL to be stolen! This lady that works in my building has (or had) a '99 that was bone stock. Her daughter took the car saturday night, parked it in a garage and that was the last they seen of it. Cops are searching for the car now but hopes are thin in retrieving it in one piece. I guess the TL security system sucks. Guess I better get my aftermarket alarm soon!
Wassup Randy! First thought was that it was your TL that got ripped! Sorry to hear that a fellow TL owner lost their car. BTW, too bad you couldn't make the meet tonight. We did take some pics. Tanner's planning another meet in the future. Maybe next time!!
See ya!
Dean
Old 01-30-2001, 07:39 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,044 Likes on 1,133 Posts
Those chips in the keys are useless. Dealers have master keys. That means thiefs have them too. I took my Maxima to the dealer for an oil change. Dealer told me, "we are bringing it in now". I was like WTF I didn't give you the key. Sure enough it was in the garage up on the lift. They bypassed the Nissan security system too.
Old 01-30-2001, 08:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
I believe the Helms manual details how to override the security system. Jumper a few wires and off you go.

Security my ass... Get a Clifford

------------------
1999 Satin Silver Metallic 3.2 TL w/o Navigation
  • Factory underbody kit and spoiler
  • Burlwood shift knob
  • Trunk tray
  • 20% tint
  • Ractive intake
  • Clifford Intelliguard 9000 alarm
  • Alpine CD changer
  • Comptech springs, sways, exhaust, and headers
Old 01-30-2001, 08:33 AM
AC
Drifting

Despite having a security system whether the best or the worst, nothing will protect you from a tow truck from picking the car up and taking it.
Old 01-30-2001, 12:15 PM
Banned

Originally posted by NSXNEXT:
I believe the Helms manual details how to override the security system. Jumper a few wires and off you go.

Unless they've got a tow truck save your money and get a wheel lock or pedal lock... I don't think they've invented a way to break autolock yet...

------------------
Just my 2 cents...
Old 01-30-2001, 12:43 PM
Pro

Man sorry to hear that, I thought that honda were on the high risk list, not TL's man I would Kill if someone stole my baby!!!
AC
Despite having a security system whether the best or the worst,
nothing will protect you from a tow truck from picking the car up
and taking it.
This is true but in Hawaii a car cannot be towed unless the owner of vehicle, owner of property or Police(if in a tow away zone) gives permission to tow. We had a huge problem back in the days and that is why they made that law. Does any other State have this law????

------------------
tann@808-'00 TL
non-Navi(Doesn't work in Hawaii)

Factory body kit & Wing, 19" Racing Hart C-5's,
Nitto 555's, CompTech Springs, CompTech Exhaust,
CompTech Headers, Inspire Taillights, NOS(70 shot),
AEM CAI, Alpine 8080, TL rear door handles in front,
5% + 30% tints,30% front windshield.

tann@pixi.com
Old 01-30-2001, 03:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Tann@808:
Man sorry to hear that, I thought that honda were on the high risk list, not TL's man I would Kill if someone stole my baby!!!This is true but in Hawaii a car cannot be towed unless the owner of vehicle, owner of property or Police(if in a tow away zone) gives permission to tow. We had a huge problem back in the days and that is why they made that law. Does any other State have this law????

they are stealing a car, i dont think they are going to care about towing laws

imo, the immobilizer is the best (factory) security system, even though its easily bypassable, its a good concept. and there are no such things as 'master keys', especially with an immobilizer...thats the weirdest thing ive ever heard

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by mr tl on January 30, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 01-30-2001, 10:51 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

just want 2 ask a question, don't any of these "super" aftermarket alarm systems have a MOTION mercury switch in them?? My old company I worked for had that for the car systems. I don't own one just now, but it would help against the tow truck problem. When they lift the car, mer. switch will trigger! (owner can shut off remotely!)

------------------
2000 3.2 TL Laguna Green
29% window tint, Clear bra, no nav
225/50/16 Aqua-Flow GTW's on OEM wheels
[URL=http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/lrpba300?d&.flabel=fld3&.src=ph[/URL]
Old 01-30-2001, 10:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Lrpba300:
just want 2 ask a question, don't any of these "super" aftermarket alarm systems have a MOTION mercury switch in them?? My old company I worked for had that for the car systems. I don't own one just now, but it would help against the tow truck problem. When they lift the car, mer. switch will trigger! (owner can shut off remotely!)

Motion mercury switch? What does that do?

------------------
'00 White Diamond Perl w/Nav
Wings West Spoiler
Comptech Exaust
Rear Comptech Sway bar
AEM CAI
Old 01-30-2001, 11:02 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by ugen78:
If theives want it, they can get it!
like the movie "Gone In 60 Seconds", they had someone working in the dealer, just buy the key from them, that way, the "unstealalbe" Mercedes Benz CL series are going bye bye

------------------
2000 Red Hot TL w/o nav
Burlwood Trim and Shift Knob
Wood Trim Set
Gutter Guard Grill
Photos Of My RED HOT TL
I DON'T HAVE A LIFE
Old 01-30-2001, 11:18 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by NSXNEXT:

hey what's the price on one of them cliffords, my friend had one and his whole system got stolen. He had JL's too. It was in a matter of a couple of hours. You need to have an extra batterie or somthing huh?

------------------
3.2 Tl
WW Kit
Fogs
Tinted Tails
White Signals

Clear Orange DRL's
Custom Grill
Old 01-30-2001, 11:23 PM
Instructor

oh and there is also a device out there that hooks from the floor of the car to the brakes so that the brakes are immobile. i forgot what this is called. It was on a tv commercial.
Old 01-30-2001, 11:46 PM
Pro

AC is right!!! Dont matter what security system you gots, tow truck take your car and go byes byes...
Old 01-30-2001, 11:52 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Lawaia:

Ya friends car got ripped off before and it had an awesome alarm. The cops told him they think they used a flat bed truck to take his car. They found his car stripped with ten other cars.

------------------

1999 silver TL with navi and I hope some 18s soon.
Old 01-30-2001, 11:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Matt, interesting point of view hehehe can never be too sure right? hahahaha

i agree if theives want it, they can get it
Old 01-31-2001, 12:19 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by AC:
Despite having a security system whether the best or the worst, nothing will protect you from a tow truck from picking the car up and taking it.
Her daughter parked the car in the parking structure. The security guards said that no car was towed out of the garage. The thieves didn't get away free however....they needed to pay for parking! Lesson learned....NEVER LEAVE YOUR PARKING TICKET IN YOUR CAR! I agree..our security system sucks!!

Old 01-31-2001, 12:58 AM
Instructor

Well, one thing I have to agree is Stock so-called Alarm SUX! But this is what I think... If stock alarm sux, why bother to get some aftermarket alarm? I mean, I don't see why aftermarket are better... It's really nothing but a set of wires hooking to the siren... Pop the hood and cut the wires won't even take more than 20sec... At least the factory system use Honk! Believe me, Clifford, Avaital or whatever brand, all about the same... Once they got cut, bye bye!

Its true, if they gonna take it, they gonna take it.... I saw this on TV, some real TV thing.... this guy just bought a new Z28, and he loves it soo much that he used some chain to tight the car with some super good alarm, and all those whatever locks, plus his headlight facing his house, in case someone messin with it, it will honk and flash light to the house......

Next moring, this guy go out the door, he was shock... his car was still there.... BUT, his car tailight was facing the house, and the headlight facing the road... with a note said "Nice car, and alarms... Just to let you know, IF WE GONNA TAKE IT, WE WILL GET IT, but we don't like POS" Just to show him, nothing can stop these theifs..

So I think insurance is the most important thing.. Yes, the autolock thing, which lock the brake... Thats the only thing its gonna work.. but still, they can lift the car up and take the whole thing away while you asleep.

------------------
Edward
01 CL and 99TL
Houston(Sugarland),TX.
Old 01-31-2001, 08:17 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Tann@808:
This is true but in Hawaii a car cannot be towed unless the owner of vehicle, owner of property or Police(if in a tow away zone) gives permission to tow.
Why not just steal a tow truck first? Those can't be as hard to steal as our TL's!

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.adamoski.com/acura.html" TARGET=_blank> </A>
2000 Acura 3.2 TL w/ Navigation
Satin Silver / Ebony Interior
Factory Spoiler; CD Changer; Burlwood Shifter
35% Tint, No Mods (Yet! Waiting For Better Weather)

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Acura3200 on January 31, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 01-31-2001, 08:28 AM
Banned

Thumbs down

Don't forget about draining the battery.... drill a hole in the fender and leaky it goes...

------------------
Just my 2 cents...
Old 02-02-2001, 03:56 AM
j83
Pro

Red face

wow thanx for the info now i can go steal a car =P
Old 02-02-2001, 08:14 AM
Pro

Cool

damn thieves...especially ones that use tow trucks...that's pretty smart though...

------------------
1996 2.5 TL Dark Green
HKS Powerflow, HKS Fuel Pressure Regulator, Sebring Exhaust, Jacobs Pro Street, Apex-i AFC, Jet ECU, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis Metal Master Pads, PIAA 1100x, Clarion 9255, Tube Driver Amps, Boston Pro 10's (2) , CD Technologies 6-4-2, Clarion MVA6491 (3), Valentine 1, Cliford Avant Guard 4, Monster Capacitors (2), Jacobs Accuvolt, Trunk, Underdash and Underbody Neons
No nav yet but soon!!!
Old 02-02-2001, 04:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

On the Clifford systems you can add or they come with a digital tilt motion sensor this will monitor your wheels or if the car is being lifted by a tow truck.I agree if a tow truck does lift the car up & drive off there is not much you can do.I do however say get is much security as you want.
The digital/tilt motion sensor they will have to contend with before other sensors. Cutting wires is taken care off by having a self powered back-up siren.Carjacking is taken car of with Cliffords bilt -in anticajacking system. I customised my alarm sounds to make it more noticeable from others. With Clifford they don't go off like some others when trucks go by or wind blows.
I posted this site before they have the info on Clifford www.12voltdc.com & click security

Old 02-02-2001, 09:28 PM
Racer

hey guys there is no such thing as a master key for your cars. i have yet to see one stolen in this area since immobilizer was put in 96 rl's and this is a prime area right outside nyc. i went in for service today and saw an actual reassurance with a car. The car had major body work done and customer complained about a no start problem. To make a long story short, body shop only brought in one key to have programmed, the key the customer was trying to start it was cut for the car but not programmed for the car. The immobilizer cuts off the fuel and the car would not start until the dealership programmed all the keys. so i disagree with most of you, i think the factory security system and believe its a waste of money to get an aftermarket one installed. just my 2 cents
Old 02-02-2001, 10:04 PM
Jens

Something to remember here people,security systems are a deterrent not an absolute form of protection for your car.No matter how sophisticated they can all be defeated by a knowledgable thief.However systems like immobilizers that Acura uses are very difficult to beat.Forget any nonsense about shorting a few wires it won't work if that's the plan to try and start a TL.Even if you defeat the immobilizer control unit the Engine management system won't do anything useful till it recieves the correct digital signal to allow it to do so.If you try to replace the immobilizer with a new one along with some keys coded to it it still won't work since you do not have the code of the day to reprogram the engine computer and yes the code is different everyday and even disconecting the battery won't make the computer forget, it has a built in powersupply that seems to last years.Jens
Old 02-03-2001, 12:20 AM
Pro

IMHO, the factory alarm system is not that great. It may deter amatuer theives from stealing the car, but they can still break your window, pop your trunk and steal your subs (if you have any) and any other stereo equipment that you may have. At least most good aftermarket alarms will go off when the window is broken. Also if the vehicle is towed stock alarms will not be set-off wereas aftermarket alarms will go-off. It is also advisable to get a back-up siren for the car too. I had one in my previous vehicle and it definatley saved my car from being stolen. The thieves popped my hood and yanked out the wires and the back-up siren. The main siren was still going off b/c it was very well hidden and the back-up siren was also ringing as it has its own power supply! There's no doubt that the alarm saved my car from being raped!
Old 02-03-2001, 04:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

The main reson I went aftermarket alarm was
anti carjacking features of the Clifford system. Its still a problem here in this city. The carjackers can go out & buy junk cars for $100to$200 & drive but they still jack people. We had about 3 carjackings in my area back in November. I had my police scanner on one night & they had this carjacking not to far away.The guy had stolen a 2000 Ford Explorer from this lady.
He was reported to be armed with a sawed off shot gun. The police had an idea that he might be an an area about 6 blocks away.They found the Ford but wanted to stake out the area.He had stole a Dodge Neon the night before. The police got the guy a day later. I was told by a police LT that was working with our community.The boy was 15yrs old & the sawed of shotgun was a tree limb wraped in a towel.