New Honda ATF and Rear Diff Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 11:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
New Honda ATF and Rear Diff Fluid

Taken from the 2011 TQI. The ATF has been confirmed to be backwards compatible in previous Honda/Acura vehicles, but not sure about the Rear Diff fluid.

NEW MODEL INFORMATION

New Automatic Transmission Fluid
A new automatic transmission fluid is used starting in
2011 models. ATF DW-1 is the new automatic
transmission fluid that helps improve low temperature
performance. Do not use any other transmission fluid
n 2011 models.

New AWD Differential Fluid

A new differential fluid is used in all 2011 SH-AWD
models. Acura All-Wheel Drive Fluid (DPSF)
replaces ATF-Z1 as the recommended rear differential
fluid. Acura All-Wheel Drive Fluid is designed
specifically for the tough conditions in the AWD
assembly.

Acura All-Wheel Drive Fluid (DPSF) is a caramel color,
not pink like the previously used A/T fluid. The rear
differential case is also stamped with the letters DPSF,
not ATF.

NOTE: The stamping was a running change and some
early production vehicles have ATF stamped on the
case. Use only Acura All-Wheel Drive Fluid (DPSF) in
these vehicles.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Wonder if we could upgrade ours to new formula?
Old 10-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Wonder if we could upgrade ours to new formula?
I actually will be using the new fluid in the Transmission and Rear Differential.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
When I try to read the 2011 TQI (or anything) on the sticky "Acura Service News and TSBs for RDX" I get this:

You are not authorized to view the content on this page.

If you believe you have received this message in error, please contact the Support Center.
Is this a glitch?
Old 10-15-2010, 03:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
DPSF = dual pump "special" fluid ?

How is this new DPSF diff fluid different from the Dual Pump II fluid used in the CR-V for years? and the previous fluid was DP I.

One reason that I inquire, is that the DP II fluid is cheaper at Honda, than the DPSF fluid is from an Acura dealer. And the two part numbers are the same, except for the letter "A", same as the part numbers for all other fluids such as radiator coolant, ATF-Z1, power steering pump fluid, etc.

Dual Pump II = 08200-9007
DPSF = 08200-9007A

I really hate that Acura sells the same fluids at a higher price than the Honda Dealers.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:55 PM
Copy cat shinobi

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by dcmodels
How is this new DPSF diff fluid different from the Dual Pump II fluid used in the CR-V for years? and the previous fluid was DP I.

One reason that I inquire, is that the DP II fluid is cheaper at Honda, than the DPSF fluid is from an Acura dealer. And the two part numbers are the same, except for the letter "A", same as the part numbers for all other fluids such as radiator coolant, ATF-Z1, power steering pump fluid, etc.

Dual Pump II = 08200-9007
DPSF = 08200-9007A

I really hate that Acura sells the same fluids at a higher price than the Honda Dealers.
I AM kinda WORRIED as I know that honda has a serious issues with labels and part numbers. A Prelude Base and an SH model an example would be, they 95% share same parts, but the Front radius rods differ by just a letter and are WAY different. You would think that to be the truth that they are similiar +A, but I am sorta *cautious about using fluids

The thing is I am kinda worried as I want closure on the Acura DPSF vs Honda DP2. And I am all about saving money.

Last edited by Kaze66218; 10-15-2010 at 10:58 PM. Reason: forgot to add * cautious
Old 10-17-2010, 08:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by XLR8R
When I try to read the 2011 TQI (or anything) on the sticky "Acura Service News and TSBs for RDX" I get this:

Is this a glitch?
Honda TSB's are no longer accessable through AZ.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:47 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
im actually happy they are differentiating the brand, they must start somewhere, im not saying FLUID is the right place lol but at least the line is starting to be drawn....
Old 10-17-2010, 11:10 PM
Copy cat shinobi

Just for the sake of arguement I'm sticking my RDX out on the line, I just filled up with DP2 in my rear diff. I'll tell you if I have any problems I don't expect to but who knows.

I have confirmed with Acura Parts, that Honda adds A's to the end of anything Acura. DCmodels stated this already.

This an email I got from a semi- respectable source:

"They’re both a 75W-90 weight fluid, it’s just that the ATF-Z1 is a GL-4 fluid, & the DPII is a G-5+…which is better suited for the rear diffs, than the GL-4."

My question now is, so is this a name game that Honda/ Acura is playing? BTW, DP2 is an ATF fluid. My thought behind this is that the different name may likely force a person to depend on Acura dealership service out of fear that the use of any other fluid would destroy their differential when the Honda dealership makes the same thing for less, different label. FWIW a few dollars difference for 3 bottles, is really pinching pennies.

I'll post any problems.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:24 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
of course its a way to almost mandate Acura service, its nothing but that. No more Honda dealers @ discount. Acura is obviously trying to distance themselves from Honda. Can you blame them?
Old 10-19-2010, 01:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Actually, another question I have is: if the CR-V, Element, etc. have been using DP II for the past 5 or 6 years, why just now start using DPSF in the RDX? especially if the two products (DP II and DPSF) are the same?

ATF-Z1 was OK for the RDX rear diff, and now it is not? have there been reported failures in the RDX diff? there must be a lot of high milage 2007 RDXs out there. Any problems?

What other models have a rear diff that will be using the new DPSF instead of Z1? the TL? any other?

Will the OCI for the new DPSF differ from that for the ATF-Z1 usage in the RDX rear diff?

Lots of questions: no answers.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Copy cat shinobi

Originally Posted by dcmodels
Actually, another question I have is: if the CR-V, Element, etc. have been using DP II for the past 5 or 6 years, why just now start using DPSF in the RDX? especially if the two products (DP II and DPSF) are the same?

ATF-Z1 was OK for the RDX rear diff, and now it is not? have there been reported failures in the RDX diff? there must be a lot of high milage 2007 RDXs out there. Any problems?

What other models have a rear diff that will be using the new DPSF instead of Z1? the TL? any other?

Will the OCI for the new DPSF differ from that for the ATF-Z1 usage in the RDX rear diff?

Lots of questions: no answers.

1.--------------------------------------------------------------------
a.My guess is, I was going to suggest that Honda might have tested it on the Acura SH-AWD in my previous statement, passed the quality assurance checks and relabeled it for Acura.

b.Also It takes a while to test these things. The line can be drawn to make an connection that the 2 are the same, if not simmiliar

2.--------------------------------------------------------------------
a. ATF-Z1 is being phased out, from what I heard elsewhere, it was due to manufacturing constraints, and the enviromental impact was the other thing I heard.

b. There would likely be a recall if there were mass failures due to their own fluids being used.

c. Again you'd see recalls

3.--------------------------------------------------------------------
a. Acura's RDX, MDX, RL, TL, and ZDX.

4.--------------------------------------------------------------------
a. Oil Change Interval will be the same.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-03-2010, 02:47 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my search for detail of DPSF bring me to this thread; i current have RL D4 for my 09 MDX rear differentials. i think the switch to DFSF may have something to do with switching from ATF-Z1 to DW1.

Honda is going to replace ATF-Z1 with ATF-DW1 (phase out Z1), and DW1 may not have the property for use in rear differentials. maybe that's why Honda have to find an alternative that is already "in house" to fill the gap. i am surprised at DPII was appointed, does that mean Z1 may be used in place where DPII was called?
Old 11-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Copy cat shinobi

Sorry. I thought I replied already, the forward AWD unit will require the DW1 as is the ATTS unit there is an auto tranny, even if the car is manual tranny interfacing with the engine. This fluid may work, may not, as DP2/DPSF is an ATF fluid.

I would say that both DPSF and DP2 is interchangeable, those two are not interchangeable with the Z1 or DW1, based on one thing I have learned about Honda Acura transmission. That is they are finicky and like their special sauce. Putting DP2 where DW1 was called for is asking for trouble. Again it may or may not work.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:12 PM
3rd Gear

I'm trying to get some clairification on what fluid is needed for the drive train of a 07 RDX. I thought i'd use the ATF DW-1 on the tranny and DPSF on the rear diff & gear oil in the Xfer case. I just called acura parts at my local dealer and they said that the DPSF goes in everything. Is this true?
Old 01-07-2011, 12:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RacerX78
I'm trying to get some clairification on what fluid is needed for the drive train of a 07 RDX. I thought i'd use the ATF DW-1 on the tranny and DPSF on the rear diff & gear oil in the Xfer case. I just called acura parts at my local dealer and they said that the DPSF goes in everything. Is this true?
You might go to your dealer, and read the label on each bottle for yourself. I read that the DPSF bottle says "for all wheel drive system differentials", and nothing about transmissions.

The DW-1 bottle says it is for 2010 and later transmissions.

The above is paraphrased from my (poor) memory, so read the labels for yourself. I personally rarely get valid info when 'calling' my dealer, it just depends upon who answers the phone. That is why I go and speak to my service manager in person, so that I know to whom I am speaking (and I happen to trust that particular person).
Old 01-07-2011, 02:19 PM
10th Gear

dw-1 is replacing atfz1 and can be put in older transmissions.

The back of the DPSF bottle says that it can be used in ANY SH-AWD system (rear diff) that calls for DPSF or ATFZ1

I just drained & refilled my rear diff with the new stuff two days ago... don't notice a difference but I didn't expect to.

Sadly the service guy at the one acura dealer didn't even know they came out with a new fluid for the rear end of these vehicles... slacker!
Old 01-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
The earlier posting about this quoted the memo to dealers saying that if customers don't like the transmission shift feel with DW-1, they are to drain one quart and top it back up with one quart of ATF-Z1, to restore shift feel. It also sounded as if DW-1 was more about scraping up every last bit of fuel economy -- not best transmission performance.

So if A-Ziners start complaining about DW-1 shift feel, it may be time to try the Mobil 1 or Castrol Multi Vehicle ATF that meets ATF-Z1 spec.

I just did a tranny flush with Z1, so it will be 35K miles before I need to worry about DW-1. I'll be watching for reviews.

Last edited by XLR8R; 01-07-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:17 PM
Burning Brakes

ATF-Z1: cSt @100C=7.058, cSt @40C=29.49
DW-1: cSt @100C=6.835, cSt @40C=25.09

The 'missing' information is the dynamic viscosity cPoise data @-40C, normally given for most fluids. There are several places to find the above information, but this data was taken from MSDS links:
http://www.worldpac.com/msds/

Clearly the DW-1 is thinner than the older Z1 fluid, but it does not seem that much thinner (to me). But maybe that just says the Z1 was already approaching the lower limit of acceptable, as a typical GM type Dex III fluid is:

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF: cSt @100C=7.4, cSt @40C=36.3, cP @-40C=10,040

above data taken from the Mobil 1 web site. I was actually looking for data for the new Honda/ Acura DPSF fluid, which replaces the Z1 for rear differentials in SH-diffs. I have not yet found anything for the official Honda fluid, but did find the following data for a substitute fluid made by PENRITE called HDPS FLUID, an Australian company:

Penrite HDPS: cSt @100C=7.0, cSt @40C=37

The Penrite stuff is supposed to be semi-synthetic, while the Honda DPSF is clearly only mineral oil (per the MSDS). At least the Penrite HDPS is quite a bit thicker than Z1 fluid at lower temperatures (cold start driving).

If anyone finds something on the official Honda DPSF fluid, I would like to see it posted, before I go and put the DPSF in my RDX rear diff. Thanks.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:55 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hope someone will reply on this old thread.
I JUST replaced all the Z1 fluid with DW-1 in the rear diff of my RDX. No performance difference noted as yet (that's NOT the whole issue, of course).
If you were in my place, would you drain/discard the DW-1 and replace it with DPFS?
Old 05-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by pottsf
Hope someone will reply on this old thread.
I JUST replaced all the Z1 fluid with DW-1 in the rear diff of my RDX. No performance difference noted as yet (that's NOT the whole issue, of course).
If you were in my place, would you drain/discard the DW-1 and replace it with DPFS?
I would change it to the correct fluid meant for our AWD system.
Why take the risk with the incorrect fluid?

Just purchase some online and bring it to the local shop to change.
This way you can stay worry free.

Order from Tim - http://www.oemacuraparts.com/
Great customer service - I just order a part and a few bottles.
About to change the fluid soon.
The following users liked this post:
pottsf (05-02-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 10:41 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Hey I just changed the rear differential with new fluid at 38k on wife's 07 rdx tech, did the transfer case with mobile 1 75w 90 syn gear oil and have a case of the new ATF fluid and going to do the fill and drain a few times in next week or so.

Just do it, got my fluids from an dealer in MA ordered online im in NY Call them up very helpful. Bernardi Acura parts .