Air bag light on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 06:56 AM
live fast or die slow

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Air bag light on?

So I got into my car today and I noticed that the light that shoes the figure with the airbag was on today when I turned it on, usually it goes right away but it stayed on? any ideas?
Old 09-26-2013, 10:45 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Very often it's the driver's side seat belt buckle. There's a switch in it that can go bad. One tell tale is start the car without the belt buckled, wait for the light to go out (the one with the figure). If it stays out then buckle your belt. If it comes back on in a few seconds then it could be the buckle. The buckle code is non-latching so that means it it can go away (after an engine re-start) if the condition no longer exists. If your light is always on now and just won't go out then it's probably something else.

If it is the buckle then it could be under warranty but some have had dealers give them a hard time. Since my dealer is over an hour away and they've only seen the car for recalls I'm not even bothering with them since they argue everything.

Some references:
What I did for mine (see post 9) https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/anyone-run-into-problem-airbag-light-after-seatbelt-876750/#post14290709
It came back so I now did this https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/fixing-airbag-warning-light-problem-code-61-10-a-887856/. It was really simple actually.

If it come's back I'll just get a new buckle on line and DIY. It's cheaper than the hour drive to the dealer + my lost time from work. Yeah, yeah, I've been saying that forever now...should just do it.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:43 AM
MMkay.

Received 188 Likes on 154 Posts
SRS parts are warrantied for life. Providing you didn't have an accident or anything. A defective part should be replaced by the dealer free of charge...
Old 09-26-2013, 11:58 AM
live fast or die slow

I think it might be the seatbelt part cause my srs light isn't on and the buckle light goes away once I put on my seat belt but the guy wth the airbag stays on :'( ill post a pic in a hour I'm stuck at work
Old 09-26-2013, 11:58 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am aslso having this issue as well,called acura 1-800 # told them the problem they ran my vin and told me it was covered i called them because i am the 2nd owner.went to local dealer and they told me it wasnt covered
Old 09-26-2013, 12:52 PM
live fast or die slow

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-26-2013, 02:04 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by todp71
i am aslso having this issue as well,called acura 1-800 # told them the problem they ran my vin and told me it was covered i called them because i am the 2nd owner.went to local dealer and they told me it wasnt covered
Right...that's what I'm talking about It's all that BS that I just don't even want to deal with. If I go to the dealer it's an hour trip to go there.
  • Best case is they say it's under warranty and I have to come back another day when they get the part. So then I go back another day to get that done. (Hour to drive there + hour back) * 2 = 4 hours Then there's the 3-4 gal of gas plus the hours I sit around there waiting.
  • Worst case is they argue about it and withhold keys until I pay the hour diagnostic fee (>$100) + hours lost time + gas.

The part's $70 to my door. DIY is just cheaper and more convenient. Your view may vary depending on your relationship with your dealer, how close they are, and your level of comfort replacing the part. I have no relation, they are far, and I am very comfortable with the work. Principle be damned on this one. I've learned when to stand on such matters and when not to. Evolve....
Old 09-26-2013, 02:42 PM
8th Gear

Called acura back and THIS time they tell me airbag is not covered as its a secondary system only primary carries lifetime..dealer in my area says they need to scan it.I say how much is that they say 110.00 per hour so I say well how long does it take to scan and all I get is dumb look..would rather fix myself if I knew the problem
Old 09-26-2013, 04:37 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Called acura back and THIS time they tell me airbag is not covered as its a secondary system only primary carries lifetime..dealer in my area says they need to scan it.I say how much is that they say 110.00 per hour so I say well how long does it take to scan and all I get is dumb look..would rather fix myself if I knew the problem
"I am Jack's complete lack of surprise"...about the dumb look. (Fight Club Reference) It takes only a couple of minutes but the thing is the cheap OBDII scanners commonly available to us don't read SRS codes. Their going to bang you for a full hour. So I'd recommend you try one of the remedies I linked to in my post above. If that clears the light for a while (possibly weeks or months) it's a good bet, but not for sure, it's your buckle. Changing the buckle does involve removing the seat so you need to de-power the car and follow any applicable service manual recommendations about wait times after de-powering. So just imagine what they will charge you to replace the buckle (they may credit the scan charge though). But you do need to do something. So if you are not comfortable with what's said here you'll have to go to the dealer or a good shop that can accurately scan the SRS codes.

Originally Posted by reaper101
[IMG][/IMG]
Your indicator light looks different than mine. Maybe they changed it over the years (I have an 05)
Old 09-27-2013, 09:43 PM
8th Gear

Adobe man.I did check out your links and my seatbelt light turns on and off when plugging in and releasing connector so I am thinking its another problem
Old 09-27-2013, 09:50 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Adobeman
"I am Jack's complete lack of surprise"...about the dumb look. (Fight Club Reference) It takes only a couple of minutes but the thing is the cheap OBDII scanners commonly available to us don't read SRS codes. Their going to bang you for a full hour. So I'd recommend you try one of the remedies I linked to in my post above. If that clears the light for a while (possibly weeks or months) it's a good bet, but not for sure, it's your buckle. Changing the buckle does involve removing the seat so you need to de-power the car and follow any applicable service manual recommendations about wait times after de-powering. So just imagine what they will charge you to replace the buckle (they may credit the scan charge though). But you do need to do something. So if you are not comfortable with what's said here you'll have to go to the dealer or a good shop that can accurately scan the SRS codes.

Your indicator light looks different than mine. Maybe they changed it over the years (I have an 05)
he has an 04-06, so its the same unless he lives in canada
Old 09-27-2013, 10:08 PM
JJH
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Adobeman
Right...that's what I'm talking about It's all that BS that I just don't even want to deal with. If I go to the dealer it's an hour trip to go there.
  • Best case is they say it's under warranty and I have to come back another day when they get the part. So then I go back another day to get that done. (Hour to drive there + hour back) * 2 = 4 hours Then there's the 3-4 gal of gas plus the hours I sit around there waiting.
  • Worst case is they argue about it and withhold keys until I pay the hour diagnostic fee (>$100) + hours lost time + gas.

The part's $70 to my door. DIY is just cheaper and more convenient. Your view may vary depending on your relationship with your dealer, how close they are, and your level of comfort replacing the part. I have no relation, they are far, and I am very comfortable with the work. Principle be damned on this one. I've learned when to stand on such matters and when not to. Evolve....

Just an FYI, even replacing the part yourself you're still going to have the SRS light on until the dealership resets it. The close-circuit DIY method does NOT work for our cars, the dealership must reset it with an HDS/HIM tool unless you purchase one yourself.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
I search and found this

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=720748&page=2
Old 09-28-2013, 08:50 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Adobe man.I did check out your links and my seatbelt light turns on and off when plugging in and releasing connector so I am thinking its another problem
Not so fast. The switch is a single pole double throw SPDT. It signals both the buckle up light and the SRS validation. What that means is that the buckle up indicator (nag) can, and will, in fact go out but the SRS system may still read a bad circuit. My recollection is I that the nag light circuit goes open and the SRS circuit goes closed when you buckle up (could be the opposite but I think the SRS want's "proof positive of a closed circuit). It's a single SPDT micro switch in the buckle that does that. Seen it in action with my own two eyes.

Originally Posted by JJH
Just an FYI, even replacing the part yourself you're still going to have the SRS light on until the dealership resets it. The close-circuit DIY method does NOT work for our cars, the dealership must reset it with an HDS/HIM tool unless you purchase one yourself.
Not true. The buckle code is not a latching code. It will be written and still there if someone scans the car but the light will in fact go out when the condition is fixed. That said, it may be good practice to clear the code from memory but not really required to extinguish the light. I know this from the service manual and my experience with my car. This is why you can typically narrow down to the buckle with reasonable confidence if you are able to get the light to go out for days or weeks after using one of the methods I've cross linked to. If no matter what you can't get the light out then it's either a really hard failure of the buckle or some other problem in the system.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:38 AM
live fast or die slow

I keep hearing srs but I don't have an srs light on other than the light on the dash and that's not the buckle up one I only put my buckle on in this car cause the constant reminder to put it on is annoying, I should check the fuses and check to see if there are any codes tho just don have the spare time between two jobs
Old 10-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
I just made an appointment to get my passenger seat belt buckle replaced under Lifetime Belt warranty.

My part just came in so I plan to do it next week, I had the same problem with the SRS light appearing, I decided to just get a diagnostic done on my car would have cost me $57 if it was NOT related to my buckle.

Luckily, I told them in advance that I had a strong hunch it would be the passenger buckle due to testing out various way to get the light to appear, process of elimination lead to passenger seat buckle was the cause of the light.

NO Charge to me at my dealer, and I am way out of warranty, at 146k miles. They didnt question anything if it was an accident or tampered with my car NO BS.

I am very satisfied with my dealer so far, so going to bring it in for that repair, maybe get an alignment done also since my car is leaning to the left.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:55 PM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
Get it checked properly. The problem is, you don't know what's wrong. What if it isn't the seatbelt? In some vehicles when the SRS light is on it disables the airbags, seatbelt tightener and other features until the problem is fixed. I don't know about Acura. The SRS system has it's own little black box that records info from a crash (speed, g forces, how many seatbelts were latched) it also records how long the system was disabled due to a fault code.

If you are involved in a crash with the SRS light on, your system may or may not work and you could be injured worse. If your insurance company were to get ahold of the black box and find that it was in a fault mode for what they consider a long time, they may not cover all of the injuries, especially if they find that a working airbag system would have prevented the injuries.

I currently have an airbag light on the dash of my Dodge which I found out is related to one of the sensors in the front seats. It's either the weight sensor for the passenger seat or the proximity sensor for the driver seat so that the system knows when the driver seat is close to the steering wheel.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:34 AM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
dont guess what it could be. acura airbag system is the hardest to work on...if could be a faulty crash sensor...or a buckle..you never know..

you can find a body shop or other car repair shop that has an airbag scanner and they can run the code and tell you what is going on.

worst case take it to acura and pay.