Infiniti Q50 vs TLX

Old 01-16-2013, 02:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
What a let-down.

Kinda looks like the offspring/result of a threeway trist between a Mazda, Lexus and a 3-series. Not consensual either.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by HeartTLs
Keith nice to hear from you, you've been away from this sub section for a while. How's the M37, will you be in the market for a new car soon?
The M37 is not a bad car, I just miss my Acuras. The M has treated me well, a lot of squeaks and rattles when I got it as it was the first few months of the current body, but the dealer did a great job getting them resolved and Infiniti even through in 2 years of free oil changes and tire balance/rotations. The car is not as tight from a build point as Acura. The car rides great. The electronics kinda suck. The bluetooth phone is crap and there are numerous annoying oversights in the electronics implementation. I love the styling and especially the interior. That said the lease is up in 8 months and I am eager to look at an RLX or TLX. Honda just builds some incredible cars, if they can get their styling folks replaced they would be hitting them out of the park.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:38 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
If the TLX looks like the C Concept and come in AWD and and Advance that maybe even offers a Krell say for around $50K then I might just jump on that!
I'd be shocked to see the Krell system show up in the TLX since they've already said that it was only going to be in the high end packages of the RLX. But who knows.

I just wish they'd show some type of sneak peak of the car or somewhat revealing spyshots. But knowing Acura, we'll have to wait for some random guy to spot one on a golf course parking lot or city street again. lol.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Litt
Infiniti's hybrid system is LAME.
It's the same one thats in the M35h hybrid. It is not torque vectoring.
Acura's Sport Hybrid All Wheel Drive, with Torque vectoring will blow it away. haha. Acura upped it's game!
I'm confused. The Infiniti hybrid that has been available for three years now is worse than the Acura Hybrid that still does not exist?

It's easy to come out with new technology that is better than old technology. What is amazing is how far behind the competition Acura (Honda) as a company has been. Look how long it took to get to a six speed automatic when all the upper brands had 6, 7, and 8 speeds. Direct Injection.....just now on the Accord (four cylinder only) for 2013.
The following users liked this post:
HotRodW (02-02-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 09:00 PM
Suzuka Master

My guess is they do not want to take away from the RLX launch. I'm thinking with the RLX on sale in March that they may start showing the TLX at the New York show in April with hopefully an on sale date of August.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:20 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
^^

I'm surprised you like Infiniti interior, but still like Acura's since to me they're polar opposites. I like Infiniti exteriors but can't stand the interior because I find them too bland while others would say Acura's are too busy.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Interiors are just like exteriors very personal choices. My first cars were Chevy's & Pontiacs from the early 60’s on with busy chrome panels. At the same time I was racing Triumphs, Morgan's & a Stingray. Thought the dash panels on the latter 3 were the best at providing quick clear info.

So I guess that’s why I still like plain panels like my BMW more then my button oriented Ford. No right or wrong here just what is comfortable to you.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:39 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
My guess is they do not want to take away from the RLX launch. I'm thinking with the RLX on sale in March that they may start showing the TLX at the New York show in April with hopefully an on sale date of August.
That, plus the fact that Honda is still in the process of trademarking "TLX". I think they'll remain mum until that legal process is complete.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by HeartTLs
^^

I'm surprised you like Infiniti interior, but still like Acura's since to me they're polar opposites. I like Infiniti exteriors but can't stand the interior because I find them too bland while others would say Acura's are too busy.
I find the M37 Interior very nice, has nice lines, not overly busy and the materials are very high grade feel. I hated the Acura 4G center stack, too utilitarian and busy. The RLX looks nice but still conservative, Acura needs to hire some risk takers on the product and design team. I guess the 4G beak hurt their risk taking.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:27 AM
Suzuka Master

And while I am a huge Acura fan and eager to come back the GS350 is very appealing and equipped very well was decently priced and discounted and while I am not gushing over my M37 if Infiniti offers me another M at the end of my lease with the crazy deals they have been calling me on lately, and Acura misses the TLX mark or prices the RLX AWD too high then I would have no issue pocketing the cash and getting in another M
Old 01-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
I like the new Q. Interested to see what the TLX will bring to the table.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:43 PM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
I guess the marketing geniuses at Acura who don't know how to stick with a model name have now moved over to Infiniti. Infiniti worked for several years on creating the "G" series models and identities and in one fell swoop someone decides to end that and call everything in their lineup Q--strange decision.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
I guess the marketing geniuses at Acura who don't know how to stick with a model name have now moved over to Infiniti. Infiniti worked for several years on creating the "G" series models and identities and in one fell swoop someone decides to end that and call everything in their lineup Q--strange decision.
Yeah They say because the G and M names are not as well known outside US, so fine then use different names outside the US, car makers do that all the time. I think the first year or 2 will be confusing to people as they know the G name at least usually.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Its also historical as some of the first Infinities in the US were "Q"'s
Old 01-18-2013, 12:41 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

..... and the Q's were a big flop back then. Honestly, not too good to reuse the failed designation to bring back up all the bad memories.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^

..... and the Q's were a big flop back then. Honestly, not too good to reuse the failed designation to bring back up all the bad memories.
People like me who have no emotional attachment to the letter Q, don't care about the designation. What I do care about are the infiniti qualities that I like in the vehicle get carried forward in their new vehicles.

It sounds like infiniti has some awesome plans coming down the pike.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:17 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
While the interior is certainly a big improvement, the exterior did not add this to my list of future car possibilities.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:00 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by g37guy01
People like me who have no emotional attachment to the letter Q, don't care about the designation. What I do care about are the infiniti qualities that I like in the vehicle get carried forward in their new vehicles.

It sounds like infiniti has some awesome plans coming down the pike.
Yes but it is more an intangible plus for a manufacturer to go with something and stick with it so that the prospective buyer can count on some type of longevity. For example, there were BMW 3-series 20 years ago and will likely continue to be 3-series well into the future--same with Mercedes model designations Similarly, Lexus has been pretty good about sticking with a model designation (ES, LS, GS, etc.). Infiniti crapped out in that regard pretty quickly (the original M30, J30, and I30 models) and I think Acura holds the record for boneheaded abandoning of models (Legend, Integra, Vigor, CL).
Old 01-18-2013, 05:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Yes but it is more an intangible plus for a manufacturer to go with something and stick with it so that the prospective buyer can count on some type of longevity. For example, there were BMW 3-series 20 years ago and will likely continue to be 3-series well into the future--same with Mercedes model designations Similarly, Lexus has been pretty good about sticking with a model designation (ES, LS, GS, etc.). Infiniti crapped out in that regard pretty quickly (the original M30, J30, and I30 models) and I think Acura holds the record for boneheaded abandoning of models (Legend, Integra, Vigor, CL).
Their marketing nomenclature needs something to be desired. However, the "G" put Infiniti on the map. People who want a 2014 G will not care what it's called in 2014. People who didn't know lickity split about Infiniti will now find that "Q" is the letter dujour. People who didn't like the G and don't like the redesigned Q it won't make a bit of difference to what the car is called.

I think the Infiniti hit a home run with the Q50. However, the "haters" will be proclaiming what crap Infiniti is and how come they can't produce a car...blah...blah...
Old 01-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^^ As an Acura guy, let me tell you that I agree that I think the Q50 is a well executed vehicle and, depending on what the TLX will look like, I may very seriously be driving my first Infiniti in the near future. Don't get me wrong guys, I love my Acura if the TLX is nice looking, I will no doubt select it over the Q because I love the brand and my dealership....That being said, I am not that loyal so if the car doesn't appeal to me, I will leave it on the lot. I am curious to see what the RLX will look like in the flesh but given my age and especially my physical size, I think the RLX is likely too big for me ( I am somewhat tall but slim built).

There are many exciting cars on the market this year....despite the bashing of the Lexus IS350 (2014)...I think it looks pretty darn slick but again, I need to see in the flesh. The same thing with the GS350, and now the Q50. I think Acura is under alot of pressure to design a home run with the TLX. Given the criticism it received with the 2009 TL, I think Acura will be very careful about their new TLX. Especially that we know that the true design of the vehicle starts several years before it gets released so I wouldn't be surprised that the 5G was being put on paper and sketches when the biggest and loudest criticism of the 4G were out there so no doubt that must have had some impact.

Ironically, I am a bit disappointed with the recent interior styling of the Acura vehicles...unlike the many that complained that there were too many buttons, I prefer the interior of my TL than that of my 2013 RDX which use the separate section (with knobs) for the ventilation and temperature settings. If you look at the interior of the Q50, it has a very similar cockpit (the center stack) to that of the 4G TL which I like. In addition, Infiniti has removed that Analog clock, the flat section near the navigation screen and the odd looking temperature/ventilation section.

All this to say that I am exciting to see what Acura will be coming out with but I getting itchy to spend my money
Old 01-19-2013, 12:53 AM
Pro

Infiniti has for several occasions now been the best car that I almost bought. When it came time to replace our 1990 Maxima in 2000, we almost bought an I30 but ended up with an Acura TL. When I was looking to replace my 1995 Corvette I looked at the G35 around 2005 and passed, and then looked at the G37 in 2008 and passed. When we were looking to replace the 2000 TL last year we looked at Infiniti but the G sedan was a bit small and the M sedan was a bit pricey. I have to say I generally love the offerings by Infiniti and believe Nissan and Infiniti products are great bang-for-the-buck. But for some reason I never pulled the trigger.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:58 AM
Burning Brakes

IN 2006 when I was looking for a vehicle, I looked long and hard at both Acura and Infiniti and didn't get either for various reasons. I ended up with a Subaru, because I decided to pay cash.

Fast forward, I went on a trip to Arizona and rented the G for a week and my wife and I really liked it. Three months later I bought one. To be sure though, we made the rounds at other manufactures including Acura, before pulling the trigger on the G.

If one wants to have a conversation, instead of a fanboi conversation, these cars are mostly equal in capabilities with variations on a theme.

I never buy a car based on reviews or quality surveys or for one specific attribute, so that led headlights, for example or a good sound system for example or electric steering for example, will never be a deal breaker or deal maker for me. The total package has to feel/look good/work together, I have to like the dealer and they have to be in an accessible location.

Since the TLX isn't out yet, we'll have to see, but if I were looking right now, I would be giving serious consideration to the Q50 hybrid.

It will be interesting to see if the TLX picques my interest.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

Received 381 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by 23109VC
I personally think the new Q50 is ugly... I have never cared for any of the Infinitis.. all their cars look like fish....
says from a guy driving an ugly 4G
Old 01-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
Like this new Q50 alot....actually fell in love when i first saw it. I would be tempted to buy one......depends on how it drives compared to my TL.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:13 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
I like it, I think it's a step in the right direction even if the name designation sucks. Infiniti has new engines, FI, Diesel, all planned for this thing. A rumored AMG/M/V rival, etc.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:49 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
I find the M37 Interior very nice, has nice lines, not overly busy and the materials are very high grade feel.
Keith I think that your M has the best looking and executed interiors for a luxury midsize sedan, bar none, including the newer German models.....they are simply gorgeaous...

I never understand why people are so fashinated by the Audi interiors.....I find them busy and unappealing...whoever think that the interiors of an A6 are "awesome" I'm sure never set a foot on an Infiniti M....and if we compare the seats.....the A6 look like seats from a Civic compared to the M

Congratulation....an M56x with a stick would be irresistible for me!!!
Old 01-22-2013, 05:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by saturno_v
Keith I think that your M has the best looking and executed interiors for a luxury midsize sedan, bar none, including the newer German models.....they are simply gorgeaous...

I never understand why people are so fashinated by the Audi interiors.....I find them busy and unappealing...whoever think that the interiors of an A6 are "awesome" I'm sure never set a foot on an Infiniti M....and if we compare the seats.....the A6 look like seats from a Civic compared to the M

Congratulation....an M56x with a stick would be irresistible for me!!!
True, compared to all the competition I have looked at the M interior feels the most upscale, I would put the Lexus GS350 up there, but the center stack does not flow as nice. I love how Infiniti style, they really do know how to having flowing lines inside and out.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:32 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by farmdog

I didn't care for it...wow it does look like Bimmer!
Old 01-24-2013, 07:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Yes it does:
- mirrors, check
- rims, check
- tires, check
- tail lights, check
- headlights, check
- front and rear bumpers, check
- roof antenna check

Other than the above, there is no similiarity.
The following users liked this post:
n-spring (01-25-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 01:35 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Funny I read on Yahoo yesterday that Acura is actually doing much better then Infiniti (Audi as well)...they actually are having an identity crisis that is leading Audi old CEO who is now with them to use the Q for all cars with different numerical designations. I wouldn't mind the return of Integra or Legend as nameplates. TL SH-AWD is a mouthful. LOL!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:25 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Yes, some of these boards are full of "Acura is going to hell," "they better get this right," "if only Acura did what Audi/Infiniti are doing," etc. But if I'm not mistaken, Acura outsold both of those brands in the US last year, so despite a few mis-steps here and there, they are doing something right.

Off topic some, but I just saw the new RLX at the auto show this weekend. It's very nice looking with great features, a huge interior and a very nice interior with really soft leather. It should do well against the likes of the A6, etc.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
Yes, some of these boards are full of "Acura is going to hell," "they better get this right," "if only Acura did what Audi/Infiniti are doing," etc. But if I'm not mistaken, Acura outsold both of those brands in the US last year, so despite a few mis-steps here and there, they are doing something right.

Off topic some, but I just saw the new RLX at the auto show this weekend. It's very nice looking with great features, a huge interior and a very nice interior with really soft leather. It should do well against the likes of the A6, etc.
They outsold Infiniti no thanks to the TL or RL. We all know the MDX, like the F-150, sells well. The fact that Acura outsold Audi, meh. When it outsells BMW, that will be an accomplishment.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:35 PM
Chief Excellence Liason

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I didn't like the new Altimas, but I like this. I'd still take the 09-11 TL guillotine grille over both :P
Old 01-28-2013, 10:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by g37guy01
They outsold Infiniti no thanks to the TL or RL. We all know the MDX, like the F-150, sells well. The fact that Acura outsold Audi, meh. When it outsells BMW, that will be an accomplishment.
Agree. Infinity sold almost twice as many G's as Acura sold TL's. The TL car sales accounted for 23% of Acura's total while the G contributed 50% of Infinities total sales.

No point in beating up on Audi the A4 also outsold the TL by 5000 units or about two average months worth of TL sales.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:27 AM
Suzuka Master

What I actually found interesting is that Acura and Infiniti combined don't sell as many cars as Lexus and that Lexus sell over 1200 LS' a month. For a car that starts over $70K, very impressive.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:23 PM
Drifting

^^ Lexus has a done a great job with their vehicles and the customer experience, even though they seem to be suffering a bit of an identity crisis at the moment (comfort v. performance). The new GS I saw at our local auto show was very impressive, and blew away the Audis set up in the adjacent display (note to Audi - never set up right next to Lexus). The sales rate for the LS is amazing. They are great marketers with a solid product.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:57 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Lexus sell over 1200 LS' a month. For a car that starts over $70K, very impressive.
Impressive indeed. I never knew it sold that well.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:59 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by weather;14271156....

There are many exciting cars on the market this year....[B
despite the bashing of the Lexus IS350 (2014)...I think it looks pretty darn slick but again, I need to see in the flesh.[/B] The same thing with the GS350, and now the Q50. I think Acura is under alot of pressure to design a home run with the TLX. Given the criticism it received with the 2009 TL, I think Acura will be very careful about their new TLX. Especially that we know that the true design of the vehicle starts several years before it gets released so I wouldn't be surprised that the 5G was being put on paper and sketches when the biggest and loudest criticism of the 4G were out there so no doubt that must have had some impact.

All this to say that I am exciting to see what Acura will be coming out with but I getting itchy to spend my money
We went to the Houston Autoshow this weekend and saw a lot of nice cars. But when I went to the Acura section they just felt like another car manufacturer. The RLX was a nice car but not compelling at that price point. But they did have the 2014 IS250 there. Must have been a pre-production and you couldn't get up close but it looked pretty final. The grill will take a bit of getting used to but otherwise I though the car had nice lines. I came away from the show thinking this may be my next car. It offers both split folding rear seats and cooled front seats, both of which I want on my next car and I highly doubt they will be on the TLX. And looking at how the RLX is priced I bet I can get the IS cheaper. Yes it is smaller than the TLX but I'm a TSX owner so I'm okay with that. Unless Acura surprises me with the TLX, the TSX will be my one and only Acura. I'll hold out for more info on the TLX but I'm researching the IS now.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
I can't say the Q50 does much for me but the current gen TL is so bad, I'd probably go with the infinity. I'm probably getting the 300h unless the TLX has the following (short list)
  1. average MPG of 40mpg
  2. acceleration 0-60 of 7.5 seconds or less
  3. A touch screen GPS - a joystick thing on the console is fine as long as touch is an option as well.
  4. Better sound insulation

To be clear I don't want a car with an average mpg of 40 and an acceleration of 0-60 in 11 seconds or an average mpg of 27 and 0-60 in 6 seconds; it has to have good acceleration AND mpg. HP seems to be a key thing for most people on this forum - I just care about how fast it accelerates - I don't need to tow a yacht with my vehicle.

Last edited by boe_d; 02-03-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:19 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by boe_d
I can't say the Q50 does much for me but the current gen TL is so bad, I'd probably go with the infinity. I'm probably getting the 300h unless the TLX has the following (short list)
  1. average MPG of 40mpg
  2. acceleration 0-60 of 7.5 seconds or less
  3. A touch screen GPS - a joystick thing on the console is fine as long as touch is an option as well.
  4. Better sound insulation
To be clear I don't want a car with an average mpg of 40 and an acceleration of 0-60 in 11 seconds or an average mpg of 27 and 0-60 in 6 seconds; it has to have good acceleration AND mpg. HP seems to be a key thing for most people on this forum - I just care about how fast it accelerates - I don't need to tow a yacht with my vehicle.
You have set some very high standards. You might need a Tesla or something similar to meet your goals of 40+mpg and under 7.5 in 0-60. Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50 vs TLX