Steering wheel mounted paddle shifters

Old 10-26-2011, 02:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Steering wheel mounted paddle shifters

I have never had it before. I had something similar on my previous G-35 and SRX (not steering wheel mounted though), but again I only used 1 and 2 gear couple times in snow and to make matter worse I have NEVER driven a manual. Now when I got 1000 km on my TL I would like to try it. I have read a manual, but there is not much there (except when to switch from one to another gear). I will appreciate if someone can briefly explain to me when and how to use it.
Thanks.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:21 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
To be honest with you I don't use them that often either. You can upshift & downshift by using the paddle shifters. So when taking off from a stop light the indicator will tell you your in 1 then you just shift up from there. You need to keep an eye on your RPM's if your new at this and really listen to the motor.
They can also be used to downshift as well, just like a manual transmission.
Like I said I don't use them much as I am old school and would rather shift via the gear selector. I've mentioned in previous posts concerning this subject, it feels like your hitting the NOS botton in a Fast & Furious movie.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
You can put the shifter into S mode and use the paddles as a manual shifting system. The right side paddle is for up shifting and the lef tside for down. It would help if you had driven a manual so you will know to watch the tach for when to shift.

Also, you can use the paddles in the D more for downshifting to slow down going into a corner or to coast to a stop light....
Old 10-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Just don't forget that you are doning the shifting from that point on. When you stop at a light you will be in first gear again and need to shift to second. If you forget, you'll pull a "Marco" and look like an idiot when your car hits the rev limiter and you can't go any faster.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I don't use my paddles very often either.. rarely ever in S mode but do downshift from time ot time since the TL seems to like to be in the wrong gear (too high) coming out of the turn
Old 10-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
You can actually use the paddle shifters in both D and S modes.

In D mode, you use it momentarily and then the auto system takes over soon after (so less risk of going into high RPM coz u forgot). I use this to downshift when I want to overtake or whatever, and you don't need to remember to change again after its done.

In S mode, it is completely manual if you use them. So you have to remember to up/down shift when it needs changing. You can disengage the manual mode by shifting to D and then come back to S, if required.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Intermediate

Thanks Guys!
I read the manual again and at what speed gear changes are made but unfortunately more often than not, I keep forgetting to do it . It seems best for me (at least now) to stay on full auto. I also noticed the car picks up speed slower at S mode on highways. I really have to pump the accelerator hard on S6 to get any action on the highway.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:14 PM
Intermediate

In D mode, you use it momentarily and then the auto system takes over soon after (so less risk of going into high RPM coz u forgot). I use this to downshift when I want to overtake or whatever, and you don't need to remember to change again after its done. --- Could you please give me an example. Say I am driving in A mode at 65 km/h (it should be M4 according to a manual) and want to overtake someone. Should I manually go to M3 and then forget about it?
Old 10-26-2011, 05:27 PM
WDP 4G

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Acurrat
In D mode, you use it momentarily and then the auto system takes over soon after (so less risk of going into high RPM coz u forgot). I use this to downshift when I want to overtake or whatever, and you don't need to remember to change again after its done. --- Could you please give me an example. Say I am driving in A mode at 65 km/h (it should be M4 according to a manual) and want to overtake someone. Should I manually go to M3 and then forget about it?
If you are in D mode and you are at 65 km/h and want to go to 3rd you downshift and depending how much you need to spin the rpm's to overtake, you could either leave it or upshift it yourself and the computer will take back over soon enough. Keep in mind in D mode you will only see the # gear you're in. Its not the same as if you're in S mode. S mode if you hit the paddles it will show Mx (x = gear #) and you will need to shift each gear by yourself
Old 10-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Intermediate

thanks
Old 10-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by Acurrat
If I want to pass I drop it into "S" mode with the gear shift, make my pass, then shift back up to "D" for the overdrive. I have found that the tranny is more responsive (shifts faster) with this method. And I get to do something visceral with my right hand.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Paddles and the difference between 2011 5AT and 2012 6AT 1st to 2nd

Accurat - There is no better way to dispel the stresses of the day than by dropping the shifter into "S" and using the paddles to shift manually.

You need to take a leap of faith initially to stsrt to use them. Once you get used to it, it will become 2nd nature. Just like we have all been there when we arrive at our detination on auto pilot, not remembering much of the journey, you will soon be shifting manually without even giving it a 2nd thought.

It is THE best way to enjoy these cars, unless you are lucky enough to own an 6MT of course.

One thing to note, and one that would put me off a 2012 TL, is that the 1st to 2nd shift WILL now occur automatically with the new 6AT. In the 5AT 2009-2011 TL, every shift is under full manual control, in the 2012 6AT, the shift point from 1st to 2nd seems to be linked throttle position, a light throttle will result in a very early shift 2-3K, wheras a full throttle start will result in a 6K+ shift.

Personally I do not like it, it seems to be in all the new 6AT's, my Wife's MDX is the same.

Anybody else care to share thier views on this topic?
Old 10-27-2011, 05:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
not a fan of flappy paddles either. I rather acura's old school Sport Shift with the gear shifter. I hate having both hand at 9/3 all the time LOL. But it makes the driving more fun if you actually use it. I use it sometimes to downshift right before merging/passing and upshift early for fuel economy. It's also helpful if you want to keep a gear, say for racing haha.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:15 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't use the paddle shifters that often but I really like them. I'll shift down into Sport Mode on occasion on the highway to get things moving very quickly!