Slight quick Knock when Idling, becomes harder around 1300 RPMs goes away after 2000

Old 02-18-2020, 11:51 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Exclamation Slight quick Knock when Idling, becomes harder around 1300 RPMs goes away after 2000

Hi AcuraZine, I didn’t want to have to post here but here I am. Usually my solutions is found by reading threads on this website but here i am. I DO LOVE THIS ACURA COMMUNITY

SO,

Acura TL 2008 5 SPD AUTO Proud Owner

199,000 Miles

Owned it since 72,000.

Ran 93 Premium from Shell since I’ve had it (6 Years)

Never any tranny issues always do my own drain and fill with OEM FLUIDS!

Full Synthetic Mobil One oil every 4-4500K

Did spark plugs 5 months ago NGK Branded

Axle just replaced OEM (Problem was there before axle replacement)

Replaced o2 sensors yesterday (Problem was there before and OEM DENSCO)

Valve body gasket replaced

Spark plug gaskets replaced

Radiator just replaced

intake manifold cleaned (it is original)

MAF sensor cleaned (thought about replacing)

Transmission mounts & engine mounts replaced 1-2 years ago by Acura

Timing belt due soon 200k ( I HONESTLY DON’T KNOW IF IT WAS REPLACED BEFORE I BOUGHT THE CAR, IT IS ON MY LIST AS THE NEXT MAJOR THING )

Also thought about Valve adjustments

NO CEL OR CODES STORED IN COMPUTER

So now to the issue,

When my car is in park or neutral I hear a quick knock noise. It comes for a second and goes away, will do it again maybe after 30 seconds to 2 minutes. It only happens when I’m stopped and when the engine is warm. Now this knock is very light and feels like a very tiny misfire. However when the car is actually moving it drives perfect, i have no issues, only when i come to a stop or am stopped in park or neutral. No check engine light. This started about 2 months ago and it is becoming very annoying. Now today! I noticed that when i rev the car in park or neutral between 1000-2000 RPMs the knock becomes little harder and more consistent and the rpms will be slightly inconsistent even though I’m holding the pedal steady. (Will try to update video link so i can show you guys)
EXAMPLE (1200RPMs-1300RPMs-1200RPMs-1300RPMs-1200RPMs)

Now if i go over 2000RPMs the knock goes away you don’t feel anything beside the car being NORMAL I hate it that i can't figure this out.

Also someone did say try to run the car without the accessory belt and see if the knock is present just to rule out a bad tensioner pulley or idler pulley which i'll
try. I will also try to hear around the timing belt hydraulic tensioner as I've read those can be a culprit as I am around my timing services. I just don't want to do the
timing service, spend $1200 and still have the issue.

Please any thoughts or comments will help me as i reach out to you guys and if someone as had same issue and was able to resolve.

I will be checking and torquing the o2 Sensors just to be sure this weekend and will update this post

Below is attached my picture of the engine as a show of the care (during my gasket job)
and other is the picture of my baby that is giving me a annoying knock lol.

Gasket job at 194,000, Running strong take care of your oil!!!!

Old 02-19-2020, 03:19 AM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
When I had my knocking it was my passenger side engine mount! Used to make noise under those same conditions.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:06 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ta-da acura
When I had my knocking it was my passenger side engine mount! Used to make noise under those same conditions.

thanks for your theory but my engine mounts were replaced about 1.5 years ago by Acura. So were the transmission mounts.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:22 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tab King
thanks for your theory but my engine mounts were replaced about 1.5 years ago by Acura. So were the transmission mounts.
Your best bet is to take it back to the dealer! If you don't know what your doing!
Old 02-19-2020, 06:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,568 Likes on 6,621 Posts
valve adjustment! Try it
Old 02-19-2020, 09:39 PM
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Tab King
Acura TL 2008
199,000 Miles
Owned it since 72,000.
I’ve had it (6 Years)
Timing belt due soon 200k ( I HONESTLY DON’T KNOW IF IT WAS REPLACED BEFORE I BOUGHT THE CAR, IT IS ON MY LIST AS THE NEXT MAJOR THING )

Also someone did say try to run the car without the accessory belt and see if the knock is present just to rule out a bad tensioner pulley or idler pulley which i'll
try. I will also try to hear around the timing belt hydraulic tensioner as I've read those can be a culprit as I am around my timing services. I just don't want to do the
timing service, spend $1200 and still have the issue.
Hello,

From what you wrote, it appears you bought the car in 2014 with 72k. I think it is safe to assume the previous owner did not do his timing belt (6 year old car when he sold it and 72k).

That means your belt, water pump, two pulleys, and tensioner are probably at 200k. While some posters have gone this long, many posters would not recommend going past 150k.

Removing the serpentine belt is a good idea to eliminate some possibilities. If that does not help, use a stethoscope to try and narrow from where else the sound may be coming. If you still can't narrow the area, you may want to get the timing belt service done anyway. I know someone whose belt snapped on the highway during rush hour traffic. She lost all power and was lucky to be able to coast to a shoulder.

Old 02-23-2020, 07:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by thoiboi
valve adjustment! Try it
So I was going to try this, but I have a update !!

Originally Posted by redbeard1
Hello,

From what you wrote, it appears you bought the car in 2014 with 72k. I think it is safe to assume the previous owner did not do his timing belt (6 year old car when he sold it and 72k).

That means your belt, water pump, two pulleys, and tensioner are probably at 200k. While some posters have gone this long, many posters would not recommend going past 150k.

Removing the serpentine belt is a good idea to eliminate some possibilities. If that does not help, use a stethoscope to try and narrow from where else the sound may be coming. If you still can't narrow the area, you may want to get the timing belt service done anyway. I know someone whose belt snapped on the highway during rush hour traffic. She lost all power and was lucky to be able to coast to a shoulder.

I know! I am going to be doing that as soon I can. I’m pretty good at working on my car but that is something I rather Acura deal with because of the timing concerns. However I have an update.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:36 PM
Advanced

Update on the issue so far

UPDATE!

I was going to make sure my spark plugs were properly torqued. After I pulled out the 5th coil for the spark plug, it came dripping out in oil. So there’s oil in there from a bad spark plug O-gasket from the valve body. I replaced all of them and must of not have installed that one correctly. I will probably do this in the next 3 hours and will update. I won’t be able to really tell if it went away just by tonight I will need to wait till tomorrow for a drive to work.

Any thoughts on replacing the coil? Should I just clean it and re use it ?

i will also make a video on how to do this and upload on YouTube and attach a link.

Last edited by Tab King; 02-23-2020 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 02-25-2020, 08:45 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am having the same situation, my noise is from the bottom end of the motor after listening to the car on a lift I have determined it to be piston slap I too have 200k on my car there is a high chance that is your problem I wouldn't be too worried about it as these cars can run fine with the slap for a long time just change oil frequently
Old 03-07-2020, 09:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dpgrnprl3rdgen
I am having the same situation, my noise is from the bottom end of the motor after listening to the car on a lift I have determined it to be piston slap I too have 200k on my car there is a high chance that is your problem I wouldn't be too worried about it as these cars can run fine with the slap for a long time just change oil frequently
I found my issue, posting it in my next thread, it might be the same as yours.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:38 PM
Advanced

Fixed!!

So after I found the oil leak in Cyl 5 spark plug, I found two more in cylinder 1 and cylinder 2. I replaced both spark plug gasket and now there is no leak. Problem was still there. I only replace spark plug and coil in 5. Now when I was trying to figure out what was going on I smelt burning rubber. I gave up and took it Acura and paid the diagnostic fee. When they looked at in they found a broken tensioner (pic below) and they replaced it. I’m like ok cool maybe that was the issue and I got in my car after the work was done and I still had my rpm issue which I came in there for originally. I had the manager get in my car and hold the RPMs at 1200 and he saw what was going on and it wasn’t steady kept jumping, and then magic happened, the check engine light had came on. He pulled it in and had the codes checked. All the cylinders that had the oil leak had a random misfire. At that point it was either bad spark plugs or bad coils or both. I took it home and replaced the spark plugs on 1-2 and the issue was gone.

I will be replacing all the coils soon since they’ve never been replaced.

Dealer wants $200 per coil. The OEM ones are Hitachi CM11-207A and the other model number for them is Hitachi IGC0055. I had auto zone open them up and they have the same part number as our OEM.

I hope this helps anyone with the same issue. Also stick to OEM parts when it comes to electronic stuff in your car.

Cracked drive belt Tensioner replaced OEM. $250 for labor and parts.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:51 PM
Cruisin'

So it was the spark plugs that were making the noise? I’ll have to check mine out but I did just replace them about 4 months ago but thank you for the update
Old 03-08-2020, 03:34 PM
Advanced

Check spark plugs for oil leak

So it was the spark plugs that were making the noise? I’ll have to check mine out but I did just replace them about 4 months ago but thank you for the update
Yes mines was the spark plug. I had replaced mines 4 months ago, but when I did the Spark plug gasket they didn’t go in correctly so oil was leaking into the spark plugs. After I fix the gasket and stopped the leak the spark plugs went bad because the damage was already done at that point so once I replaced them the car was fine.

Check your spark plugs for a oil leak if there is one replace the gaskets then replace those spark plugs

if there is no leak check to make sure they are tighten ( I found a couple loose)

If the spark plugs are fine at that point I would replace them all again. OEM is recommended they are NGK IR. If you are not using OEM spark plugs that’s your issue. Our cars don’t like non OEM parts when it comes to important parts like that

If you replace the spark plugs and the issue still there replace your coil packs. Those are hitachi cm11-207A or look at my above post for the other model number. Acura charges a fortune for those coils when they all are just reboxed.

Good luck.

Last edited by Tab King; 03-08-2020 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:58 PM
Cruisin'

Okay thanks for the help my plugs are OEM and I just replaced the ignition coils as well with the OEM ones as you said but I did recently replace my valve cover gaskets and spark plug gaskets there is a possibility that one didn’t seal correctly I’ll be checking them out soon to see, again thank you
Old 03-08-2020, 11:02 PM
Advanced

Okay thanks for the help my plugs are OEM and I just replaced the ignition coils as well with the OEM ones as you said but I did recently replace my valve cover gaskets and spark plug gaskets there is a possibility that one didn’t seal correctly I’ll be checking them out soon to see, again thank you

Good luck! Please keep us updated
Old 03-23-2020, 11:18 PM
Advanced

Spark plug gasket guide for misfire

Here is the Video on how to fix the issue as well as a spark plug gasket guide

Last edited by Tab King; 03-23-2020 at 11:20 PM. Reason: bad link
Old 03-24-2020, 12:14 AM
Cruisin'

Sorry I haven’t been able to update yet on my attempt to fix this I’ve been busy but now my states shut down haha but as soon as I get some nice weather hear I’ll be sure to update the forum, also thank you for the helpful video.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:16 PM
Cruisin'

So I just pulled a few coils out today some had just a little bit of oil on them but one was properly soaked so I’m pretty sure that’s my culprit I must not have pressed them in enough when I installed them so I will be putting all new seas in tomorrow thank you so much for the help.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:08 PM
Advanced

You're welcome, did it work out?
Old 04-01-2020, 10:28 PM
Cruisin'

Unfortunately no it did. It I made sure the seals were not leaking and replaced all the spark plugs and the noise is still there it did quiet down for a couple days but now it’s back just how it was before
Old 04-01-2020, 10:28 PM
Cruisin'

Did not*