Click/clunk noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 03:26 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Click/clunk noise

Helllo all.
I'm new here and still getting used to the site....anyways...

I have a 2004 6mt....and I have this loud clunk/click noise coming from somewhere in the front suspension area seems to be...and I can't quite trace it....

It happens most of the time when I start moving from a stop...or when I let go of the gas pedal at a low speed...or whenever I downshift...
It doesn't happen when I go over bumps or anything so I kinda rulled out swaybar bushings...
It's gotten worse over time and now it happens about 90% of the time I downshift...
Also..it ALWAYS happens whenever I reverse...as soon as I start moving in reverse i hear the noise.
It's like a mix of a click and a clunk..more like a loud click...
I looked underneath at the suspension and the axles...and I don't see anything major..My control arm bushings are a bit torn but from researching I don't think these would cause that..
I was thinking maybe my axles? but when I looked at them I didn't see any obvious signs of wear..
What do you guys think?
This noise is driving me crazy!!!

ps...
I have cross-drilled/slotted rotors and ever since I put those on...I hear this noise proportional to wheel speed...it kinda sounds like a free spinning ratchet...or as if you put a card onto a bike wheel as it spins.....I can hear it if i spin the tire fast in the air too..

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2011, 07:52 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Inspect motor mounts for excess movement by shifting forward/reverse at idle w/ emergency brake firmly set and foot on brake (need a trusted helper). Inspect from both sides (never the front!). You should be able to see the motor mount contact engine bracket if there's a problem.

good luck