3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY installation of Daytime Running Lights**with detailed pictures** 3G Garage #G-067

Old 09-20-2006, 10:51 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea that is true, but what i was getting at was that i wanted the fogs to come on WITH the parking lights. I kind of like the way my front set up looks during the day without any lights.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:54 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you do this mod, it will do what you want (in a way). Just turn on your parking lights and the fogs will stay on (in 75% DRL mode). Only turning on the headlights themselves makes the DRLs turn off.

Edit: I just reread what you said and I think I understand now. You don't want any lights on UNLESS you turn on your parking lights. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:12 PM
Racer

yea, what you said in your edit is correct.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:50 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

I think you could do it with this mod by connecting the wire that is supposed to go to the ignition sense to the parking light wire instead. The DRLs would come on only when the parking lights are on, but would allow the fog lights to function correctly, too.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:29 PM
Racer

oh yea that sounds like it would fly. thanks alot! i'll try that and i'll let you guys know if it works if anybody is interested.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:43 PM
2006 TL MT RJ BodyKit

I also got the module. I'm in Canada (The car is US though) and got it in about 5-6 business days. I installed it according to instructions. I don't have the green looped wire either...it must be inside the box as mentioned earlier. The mod did not work for me. The fog lights wouldn't come on. I crimped the blue taps harder as I was uncomfortable with them. Still no DRL. Finally, I cut the wires and twisted them together...BINGO! I knew those blue taps were crap (maybe MY blue tap installs were crap but anyway). I recommend soldering the wires instead...MUCH more reliable. I hope this helps! EXCELLENT directions though...Great job bhelsdon! Thank you!
Old 09-21-2006, 09:39 AM
Racer

hey steeve,

how long did it take you to do the install with the soldering iron? thanks man...good job!
Old 09-21-2006, 11:59 AM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark - Detroit
Looking for advice...
Like Deadlock I am having operational probelms with the DesignTech DRL. It always turns on correctly but when I then turn the headlights on the DRLs sometimes stay on; not always, but at least half the time. I can tell by the relfection from whatever is ahead of me. If I turn the headlights off and then on again the DRL will often then go off.
I am thinking I will try soldering the connection at the HID module to ensure a good connection but I doubt this will do the trick. Does anyone else have this problem? It may not really make any difference if the DRLs stay on. It just bugs me that the thing does not operate consistantly.

Thanks,
Mark in Detroit
I'm having the same problem. Any fix yet ?
Old 09-21-2006, 09:40 PM
2005 - Anthracite TL 6MT

Hi AcuraVic,
I did the solder connection to the pickup off the HID module. Didn't cut the wire; just stripped the insulation off about 1/2" and soldered to that. No question it make the turn off of the DRL more consistent, but it still screws up sometimes. The DRL stays on maybe one in 5 times that i turn the headlights on. I'd say the system is not responsive enough to always pick up the shut off signal.
I have not yet decided if I will send it back and try another. If it gets worse I will pull it off and send it back. No doubt, it is not a real robust design. Problem is that if Design Tech tries it they will say it works.

Mark
Old 09-22-2006, 08:05 AM
2006 TL MT RJ BodyKit

Originally Posted by Midnight_TL
hey steeve,

how long did it take you to do the install with the soldering iron? thanks man...good job!
Well it took me about 30 minutes to do the original install. It's really a piece of cake. Such a great write up. I still haven't soldered the wires together yet though...If I can, I will do it today. But honestly, it's a 15 minute job...MAX!
Old 09-22-2006, 08:08 AM
2006 TL MT RJ BodyKit

Hi AcuraVic,
I did the solder connection to the pickup off the HID module. Didn't cut the wire; just stripped the insulation off about 1/2" and soldered to that. No question it make the turn off of the DRL more consistent, but it still screws up sometimes. The DRL stays on maybe one in 5 times that i turn the headlights on. I'd say the system is not responsive enough to always pick up the shut off signal.
I have not yet decided if I will send it back and try another. If it gets worse I will pull it off and send it back. No doubt, it is not a real robust design. Problem is that if Design Tech tries it they will say it works.

Mark
My
Did you try calling DesignTech's support to tell them about this issue? Maybe you are not the first and they have some sort of fix or revised module??? Perhaps they could even send you another module right away...
Best of luck man!
Old 09-22-2006, 10:59 PM
Instructor

Recieved new unit for defective unit

I had a problem with mine and they sent me a new one, I used but connectors and their connectors also. Works great now with no problems ever. My 1st module just stopped working. Quality of the unit could be better.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:02 PM
2006 NBP Acura TL

Did anyone find a solution to the defective designtech module, or maybe another brand that makes the same module w/o the problems?

i really want to install this in my car.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:57 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
It took awhile for me to get the replacement for my defective unit as well. It looks like they have done some kind of minor redesign. My old unit lasted 3 days before conking out but this one seems different. It's been working flawless for the last 2 wks. It looks like DesignTech was paying attention to the problems as this unit behaves differently.

It turns OFF the DRL with a delay when you switch the headlight selector between parking lamp and full headlights. Before it would keep the foglights on constantly. (If you have the foglight switch "on" all the time).

So something is different, and it looks safe now for all you skeptics out there. Go for it! Worth it 100%.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:36 PM
2006 NBP Acura TL

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
It took awhile for me to get the replacement for my defective unit as well. It looks like they have done some kind of minor redesign. My old unit lasted 3 days before conking out but this one seems different. It's been working flawless for the last 2 wks. It looks like DesignTech was paying attention to the problems as this unit behaves differently.

It turns OFF the DRL with a delay when you switch the headlight selector between parking lamp and full headlights. Before it would keep the foglights on constantly. (If you have the foglight switch "on" all the time).

So something is different, and it looks safe now for all you skeptics out there. Go for it! Worth it 100%.
Can you please confirm if this the correct unit? Designtech

The site says that its a 3 wire hookup, while most of the members have posted it should it be 5 wire hookup. I wanna make sure before I order it.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-06-2006, 02:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AcuraTL06
Did anyone find a solution to the defective designtech module, or maybe another brand that makes the same module w/o the problems?

i really want to install this in my car.
Yes... earlier in this thread (I had trouble finding it myself):

Using bhelsdon's detailed installation instructions as a guide, I completed my DRL install today using a module made in Canada by Hamsar, part #45020. I chose this module instead of the DesignTech due to one owner's reported meltdown on a Honda Odyessy (scroll down the thread a bit). This appeared to be a defective unit.

This is a well-made unit and functions exactly like the DesignTech module in that the fog lights are used as DRL's at reduced power (76%). DRL's are on with headlight switch in OFF or PARK. The DRL's stay on for ~5 seconds after the ignition is switched off. As I said, installation is pretty much the same as the DesignTech but if you get this module, *connect the white wire to the fog and the orange wire to the HID* (this is the sense wire). Otherwise the unit won't work because the fuse will blow. This is counter to the included instructions and why I know that Hamsar's technical support is excellent.

Hamsar does not sell directly. Unfortunately, the distributor I used, Puma has gotten greedy. I paid about $24 but the price has now gone up to $38, so you may want to look elsewhere.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:24 PM
2006 NBP Acura TL

Originally Posted by ozoneraider
Yes... earlier in this thread (I had trouble finding it myself):

Using bhelsdon's detailed installation instructions as a guide, I completed my DRL install today using a module made in Canada by Hamsar, part #45020. I chose this module instead of the DesignTech due to one owner's reported meltdown on a Honda Odyessy (scroll down the thread a bit). This appeared to be a defective unit.

This is a well-made unit and functions exactly like the DesignTech module in that the fog lights are used as DRL's at reduced power (76%). DRL's are on with headlight switch in OFF or PARK. The DRL's stay on for ~5 seconds after the ignition is switched off. As I said, installation is pretty much the same as the DesignTech but if you get this module, *connect the white wire to the fog and the orange wire to the HID* (this is the sense wire). Otherwise the unit won't work because the fuse will blow. This is counter to the included instructions and why I know that Hamsar's technical support is excellent.

Hamsar does not sell directly. Unfortunately, the distributor I used, Puma has gotten greedy. I paid about $24 but the price has now gone up to $38, so you may want to look elsewhere.
Actually, I did see that post earlier in this thread, but I couldn't find that Hamsar product sold anywhere other than JC Whitney, and PUMA. They were asking for $70 at JCW, and PUMA just doesn't seem to be a well known online company. So, I didn't trust buying it from there. Sounds like everyone who had their replacement modules are not having any problems, so I'll be ordering the Designtech module.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:01 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraTL06
Can you please confirm if this the correct unit? Designtech

The site says that its a 3 wire hookup, while most of the members have posted it should it be 5 wire hookup. I wanna make sure before I order it.

Thanks in advance

Yes, you got it that's the one
Old 10-08-2006, 04:41 PM
Race Director

Alright theres something I dont get here. I know the DRLs are your highbeams dimmed down. Something I dont get is I was told that the TLs fog lights built into the headlights. I was wondering how excately that works. Are the fog lights just high beams angled down at the ground or low beams angled down at the ground. Or is there just a seperate bulb somewhere in there angled at the ground.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Trackruner228
Alright theres something I dont get here. I know the DRLs are your highbeams dimmed down. Something I dont get is I was told that the TLs fog lights built into the headlights. I was wondering how excately that works. Are the fog lights just high beams angled down at the ground or low beams angled down at the ground. Or is there just a seperate bulb somewhere in there angled at the ground.
we are using the fog lights insead of the high beams in this application. The fog lights are separate bulbs next to the Hid bulbs
Old 10-23-2006, 08:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Here is a picture of mine installed about a week ago. It seems the module from autobarn.com has been updated. No more green wire looped. Also seems to work well. Turns on in about 5-10 sec after Ignition is sensed, and about 20 sec after its off.

Old 11-10-2006, 01:14 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Mine died this morning (or last night when I shut off the car). They didn't come on this morning.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:14 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
is there anyway to get auto headlights... they should have been standard since we had them in our 03 g35 and most other cars have them... :-(
Old 11-10-2006, 05:30 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Originally Posted by pnoi521
is there anyway to get auto headlights... they should have been standard since we had them in our 03 g35 and most other cars have them... :-(
There was a thread about an add-on product that gives you auto headlights. Here's the link: Clicky
Old 03-13-2007, 05:58 AM
7th Gear

DRL addition to 2004 TL

I knew this site was great but you have outdone the publishers of the tech manuals. I really appriciate what you have done and I am on the internet with autobam as I reply. Thanks !!
Old 03-14-2007, 07:21 PM
8th Gear

I installed the DRL unit from Autobarn this past weekend. Thanks for the detailed directions. The install was drop dead simple.

While driving home today I noticed some faint "rippling" waves in the image on my (2006) navi screen. Once I turned the headlights on (had the unit set for daylight so it wouldn't darken) the "rippling" went away. Has anyone out there that has done this mod seen the same symptoms on their navi?

Right now I am suspecting that the transformer that is cutting the power to the fog lights by 25% is the culprit. Any other ideas out there? Any one with electronics knowledge know if it is possible to easily install some sort of filter to clear up this issue?
Old 03-14-2007, 08:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
No problems here. Sounds like you got something not hooked up right.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:40 AM
8th Gear

I rechecked all my connections and everything is hooked up correctly. They DRL light function as expected. It is just the slight interference that I see that is the issue.

In the mornings I have noticed that there is no observable interference for the first 10-15 minutes of my drive. Then it starts to appear.

Wonder if it is a temperature related issue? I have the unit installed in the same location as the DIY directions. I'll observe the performance over the next few days and then give the manufacturer a call and see if they will swap the unit out.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Instructor

There is no transformer. But it is electronic and may be producing electrical noise that interferes with your screen.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi AcuraVic,

Mark
Thanks Mark (I know I'm 6 months late). My ultimate fix was to install a switch for the DRL next to the VSA switch inside the car. Now I can turn them on and off at will, and still have them go off when the headlights are on.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:23 AM
7th Gear

Driving Lights

Just thought I would let you know that I used the directions supplied by "bhelsdon" and I now have daytime driving lights. I purchased the module from WWW.PUMA-ACCESS.com for $25.89 plus shipping. The wires that came with the module were long enough. I had to buy another butt splice.

Thanks again for the detailed steps and photos.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:23 PM
1st Gear

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=250156008179

i found one for 28.88 including shipping.. not bad =)
Old 10-26-2007, 08:18 PM
Sweet CL Type S

Question will this work on an O3 CL?

Sorry to barge in on the TL forum but will these awesome instructions and part number work on a 2003 CL Type S? I'd really like to have these lights set up but I don't want a Mickey Mouse job. This looks like it'd be perfect! Thanks
Old 10-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Sweetcls6sp
Sorry to barge in on the TL forum but will these awesome instructions and part number work on a 2003 CL Type S? I'd really like to have these lights set up but I don't want a Mickey Mouse job. This looks like it'd be perfect! Thanks

It should work but the installation is Totaly different. The Lights in the CL use a negative trigger. The TL fog lights use a postive trigger. I will have to dig out the paper work to see if it will work with negative triggered system.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:18 PM
Pro

I checked the paper work and it does have directions for a negative system. They give a web site to be sure.
http://www.hoppyonline.com/autoacc/20013.html
Old 11-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Instructor

hhey do you guys know where i could purchase a drl module for a 2004 acura tsx ???
Old 11-11-2007, 05:10 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by bhelsdon
Yes.
If the fog lights automatically go off when you turn the headlights on, can they still be turned on at that point to work as fog lights the way they normally would without this modification?
Old 11-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Instructor

hhey do you guys know where i could purchase a drl module for a 2004 acura tsx ???

Old 11-12-2007, 11:03 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by DMZ
If the fog lights automatically go off when you turn the headlights on, can they still be turned on at that point to work as fog lights the way they normally would without this modification?

Yes, once the headlights are turned on the fog lights work just like stock.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:04 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by offsight204

The one that we are using for the TL will work for the TSx

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY installation of Daytime Running Lights**with detailed pictures** 3G Garage #G-067