Old 04-19-2004, 11:25 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How To Wash Your Car Like a Pro

How To Wash
Your Car Like a Pro
by Mike Meredith

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you're an avid "do-it-yourselfer" and would like to invest a couple of hours in your vehicle's appearance, these tips will help you achieve professional results.

"The more often you clean your car, the easier it is and the less time it takes," Mike Pennington, director of training for Meguiar's, a leading producer of car care products, told MSN Autos in a recent interview.
Of course, the quickest and easiest solution to getting a sparkling clean car inside and out is to take it to a detail shop for a professional job. But at $100 to $400 a visit, there's plenty of incentive to learn what you can do on your own to optimize your car's appearance.

Be Careful How You Start
You'll need a steady supply of water, a soft and dirt-free cloth (or a wash mitt, terry towel or soft-bristle brush) and, last but not least, you'll need a proper car wash soap.

Don't make the mistake of using dishwashing soap or a household cleaner on your car, they contain harsh detergents that can strip wax and damage paint.

As Craig Burnett, chemist for Mothers Polishes-Waxes-Cleaners, put it, "Car wash products are designed to remove automotive dirt from cars, not grime from clothes or grease from dishes. Don't confuse your kitchen with your garage."

Luckily, car wash products are carried by a range of retail outlets, from auto parts shops to hardware stores. Even some grocery stores carry a limited stock.

And, before you start, if you suspect that you may have unique paint or other accessories that may require special attention, check your vehicle's owner's manual for any manufacturer recommendations.

It's All About Contaminants
The main objective of good car washing is the removal of all dirt and contaminants.

"You should wash your car a minimum of once a week, due to the fact that your car is constantly bombarded with contaminants such as tree sap mist and bird droppings," Pennington told MSN Autos. "If the contaminants are not removed quickly they can bond to the paint and even etch the paint."

If at all possible, park your vehicle in a cool, shaded location before getting started. Washing your car in the sun can cause some surfaces to dry faster than you may want them to, leaving residue and unwanted streaks.

Basic guidelines to bear in mind:

First rinse the entire car with water to remove loose dirt.
Wash and rinse one section at a time, working from top to bottom, to prevent a section from drying too quickly and leaving deposits or residue.
Rub the car surface gently to loosen dirt. Aggressive rubbing can grind dirt right into the finish, leaving scratches and swirls.
Be sure to rinse the wash mitt or sponge often to prevent accumulated dirt from scratching the paint.
Use plenty of rinse water to carry away the dirt.
After the final rinse, wipe the excess water from the vehicle surface to prevent water spotting. A soft terry cloth towel or a high-quality chamois are recommended. Keep the towel or chamois clean to help prevent scratching, and wipe the vehicle lightly to soak up water without abrading the surface.

Wheels and Wheel Covers
Have you ever noticed that the front wheels, not the tires, but the wheels, of many cars on the road appear dirtier than the back wheels of the very same cars? This is caused by the accumulation of brake dust shed by disc brakes, which are on the front wheels of virtually all cars these days.

Luckily, there are a number of car care products on the market that do a good job of removing brake dust. Choose wisely and be sure to read the directions carefully.

A spray-on cleaner designed for premium alloy wheels, for instance, will begin to strip a wheel's protective varnish if not rinsed off in the prescribed time frame. And the same spray applied to wheels with plastic wheel covers could have serious corrosive effects.

If you're not sure what kind of wheels or wheel covers you have, refer to your owner's manual for instructions. But once you've identified the right product for your wheels, you'll find it very quick and easy to keep the wheels looking bright and new. With a typical wheel cleaner, you simply spray it on and rinse after 30 to 60 seconds.

Making Your Tires Look Like New
After washing the car and the wheels, you'll want to add a little attention to detail.

One of the easiest and most effective ways to improve the appearance of your vehicle is to apply a protectant to the tires. Many tire dressings simply spray on and require no wiping, giving the tires a clean, slightly glossy look that highlights your clean wheels.

Similar protectants are available for black rubber or vinyl trim pieces on the outside of the vehicle. For the final touch, polish any chrome trim with a product specifically for chrome. Chrome polish is designed to help remove any oxidation that has developed, restoring the chrome's sparkle.

When Should I Wax My Car?
At least 97 percent of today's vehicles come from the factory with "clear coat" finishes. "Clear coats" contain stabilizers, ultraviolet light blockers and UV light absorbers that help keep vehicle paints looking new longer by preventing oxidation, the chemical breakdown of the upper layer of paint film caused by sunlight, moisture and contaminants in the air.

But clear coats themselves need attention, too.

"Clear coats can give drivers a false sense of security by appearing to protect the underlying base coat," Matthew Broderick, group vice president of marketing at Turtle Wax Inc, told MSN Autos.

"Clear coats are fragile and susceptible to scratches, abrasions and swirls. When a clear coat surface is scratched and pitted as a result of not waxing, the light can't reflect evenly off the surface, which makes the paint look dull."

Most manufacturers recommend that you wax your vehicle twice a year to protect it from damage and maintain the colour and shine. Some auto-care suppliers recommend monthly waxing.

"Ideally, a vehicle should be waxed three to four times per year," according to Pennington, to maximize the protection provided by the wax. "A good strategy is to start right before the winter and get on to a three-month cycle."

Waxing your vehicle will help remove paint oxidation and surface dirt, while adding a protective coating. Wax will improve or remove minor damage such as surface scratches or light contaminants and provide a high-lustre finish. Again, consult your vehicle's manual for specific recommendations.

The Waxing Process
Basic guidelines to bear in mind:

The paint surface should be cool and not in direct sunlight.
Always wash the vehicle immediately before waxing.
The temperature should be above 10 degrees Celsius and the humidity should be low.
Apply the wax to a small section at a time using either a foam pad or small terry cloth towel.
Apply the wax in overlapping strokes or circular motions.
Wait for a section to dry to a haze before wiping the wax off with soft, terry cloth towels or cloth diapers.
Wipe in both directions, turning the towels often.
Shake the towels to remove accumulated wax.
When finished, wipe the entire vehicle again, paying particular attention to the edges of trim pieces, door jambs and moldings where excess wax may have accumulated.
For additional shine between wax jobs, several manufacturers offer spray-and-wipe products to quickly enhance the vehicle's shine, such as Turtle Wax Emerald Series Premium Detailer and Meguiar's Quik Detailer.

If your vehicle's paint has been damaged, the paint may need additional work requiring the use of other types of products. You should consult a professional detail shop, auto paint repair shop, or car care product manufacturer for advice before using any products that contain abrasives.

Sprucing Up the Interior
Now that you have finished the part of your vehicle that you show off to everyone as you drive by, how about sprucing up the part of the car you look at from the driver's seat?

First, thoroughly vacuum the car's interior to remove all loose, dry dirt. And be very careful when you reach under the seat, you may have forgotten what you placed under there.

Lint-free towels and clean water will be the main tools for the dash area and seats. Cotton swabs are helpful for getting dust out of tight spots. For the carpet, a clean, stiff-bristled brush is indispensable.

Pennington suggests you always use a product that is designed for the surface you want to clean, whether it is leather, vinyl, plastic, wood, simulated wood or upholstery. Each product is specifically formulated for a particular surface and will not work effectively on other surfaces, and may even damage them.

For carpet areas, use a small amount of a carpet cleaning product and a small amount of water with a stiff-bristle brush. "The biggest problem with interior cleaning is that many people over saturate the carpet when they shampoo," explained Pennington. "A wet-dry shop vacuum is useful for removing excess water. It is very important to let the carpet dry thoroughly before closing the vehicle up tight.

For cleaning windows, avoid products that contain ammonia, because ammonia can damage window tint film on the inside of the windows. Although the tint may have already been in place when you purchased the vehicle, you may not realize that it is a film that needs to be protected. Clean water and lint-free towels are effective for quick window touch-up.

Don't use ammonia or any similar harsh chemical to clean seatbelts, either. They could weaken the webbing, affecting the belts' ability to protect you during a crash.

If you use a protectant or dressing on the dash pad, be sure that it does not leave the surface shiny. A shiny dash can reflect light and be a safety hazard while driving.

Armor All Products Corp., a leading supplier in the auto protectant category, also advises that for safety's sake keep important parts of your car clean and dry, but not slippery. For example, don't put protectant on the steering wheel or the pedals.

If you carry out all of the procedures outlined above, the hours you invest will result in a vehicle that will be considerably easier to keep clean in the future with a routine of weekly or biweekly washing. Combine your washing regimen with a good waxing and interior detailing every three months and the whole process will become quicker and easier each time you do it.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: How To Wash Your Car Like a Pro

Originally posted by fdl
Armor All Products Corp., a leading supplier in the auto protectant category, also advises that for safety's sake keep important parts of your car clean and dry, but not slippery. For example, don't put protectant on the steering wheel or the pedals.
I used leather protectant on the steering wheel and now its slippery. Is there a way to get that stuff off or do I just wait for it to wear off and never, ever, use it again?
Old 04-19-2004, 12:21 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Re: Re: How To Wash Your Car Like a Pro

Originally posted by jlukja
I used leather protectant on the steering wheel and now its slippery. Is there a way to get that stuff off or do I just wait for it to wear off and never, ever, use it again?
It should wear off pretty quickly. Otherwise a damp cloth should take care of it.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Re: Re: How To Wash Your Car Like a Pro

Originally posted by fdl
It should wear off pretty quickly. Otherwise a damp cloth should take care of it.
Thanks
Old 04-19-2004, 02:29 PM
Yeah..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the article fdl.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:12 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Good article. Just yesterday my car was out on the driveway in the rain parked new to my Sisters EL and cousins Jetta. Both asked why the water beaded on my car while there's did'nt.

Fact was, the water was beading on my car perfectly while there was'nt a single bead on theirs. I have Zaino to thank for that. I applied it almost a year ago (Late April 03) and the paint is still protected. Even after countless winter washes at car washes and countless cleanings with the power washer.

Mind you I did apply Zaino detail spray whenever I washed the car throughout last Summer. I plan to reserve an upcoming weekend soon to do it all again.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:21 PM
Burning Brakes

nice article!
Old 05-05-2004, 01:54 PM
CDR
Instructor

I'd like to add a few resources and comments to this useful article, given my experience with my 6-month old CG (=dark) TSX and other cars.

- Autopia (www.autopia.org) and it's tutorial site Better Car Care (www.bettercarcare.com) are tremendous resources. Check out the basic car washing article here: www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=9

- Use a soft sheepskin or cotton chenille wash mitt, not a sponge (mentioned in the main article of this post). Clear coats scratch surprisingly easily, and now that I have a dark car it shows everything. On our white car and my previous silver Accord, no problem. Anything that can drag a dirt particle across the finish is suspect.

- For washing, try the "two bucket" method -- one bucket with soapy water, a second bucket with rinse water only. Wash only a few strokes on a panel with a mitt, then rinse the mitt off in the rinse bucket. This minimizes trapping dirt in the mitt and damaging a whole panel.

- Microfiber towels rule ... waffle weave for drying, terry for buffing. I didn't have them before the TSX, and I'm sold.

FYI, I'm also using Zaino with great results and longevity, but there are many other good sealants. The usual consumer waxes, however, are better for a month than the 3 month cycle mentioned in the main article. If you want a 3 month cycle, use a polymer/acrylic sealant product.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:25 PM
Instructor

I washed my car with dishwashing soap (Palmolive) before reading this thread. There still seems to be wax on the car (it beads up when it's wet). Do I need to re-wax it, or will it be okay?
Old 06-01-2004, 01:31 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Zaino actually reccomends you use a dishwashing soap to wash your car before you apply their product since dish washing soap is great for srtipping any waxes or polishes fron the paint.

So my advice would be to definently re-wax or polish your car again and always use a Car wash, never a dish soap when washing your car.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:11 PM
Instructor

Well, it didn't seem to strip all of it off, though it may have taken some. I guess I'll try and wax it soon.

This is unrelated, but I recommend STP Tuff Stuff foaming cleaner to clean stains off the fabric upholstery in the TSX. I had a grease handprint on the fabric near the seat belt dispenser on the driver's side and that Tuff Stuff with a little scrubbing took it right out.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:18 AM
Instructor

Can anyone recommend a good carpet cleaning product? The quartz interior is nice, but dirt shows up very quickly on the floor mats.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:50 AM
Instructor

lol i wax my car twice a month... maybe I should spend less time detailing. I used Meguires HI-TECH 26 showcar finish and that keeps the showroom finish on my TSX. Also the Turtle Wax Car Wash soap is really great, that alone itself keeps the car shiny.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by o_nate
I washed my car with dishwashing soap (Palmolive) before reading this thread. There still seems to be wax on the car (it beads up when it's wet). Do I need to re-wax it, or will it be okay?
Palmolive and Dawn are very strong high alkaline detergents. They are great for taking the wax off your terry towels and buffing pads (use it to soak and watch the gunk come off) and yes.. dishes and pots/ pans.

Repeated use may damage your rubber seals and mouldings because it takes the moisture off them and dries them up.

Imagine what it can do to a less than paper thin layer of carnauba. What you see is the bare clearcoat and the beading will get less, but I doubt if there are any wax left and the finish is unprotected.

I know Zainoists (pardon the term) recommend dish soap (Dawn) and use it to prep the car before apply any Z products. I used to do it once a year to strip waxes off and re-apply Liquid Glass until I read what it could do.

Road Rage, one of the technically gifted members on the TL forum, actually tried using a certain brand of hair shampoo to clean the car, he said it has the same chemical content as car wash soap and is gentle on the finish.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jlukja
For years, I used Wet-Ones baby wipes on the wheel. If it's gentle on a baby's butt, then it's good for the leather. I guess the lanolin on the wipes keeps the leather from drying up. I just used it once in a while but not regularly to take the dirt off. My last Acura's steering wheel looked like new when I traded it in.

Your steering wheel's leather doesn't need as much attention as the seats 'coz it absorbs moisture from your hands and hand lotion, etc...
Old 12-05-2005, 10:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
good info...

thanks
Old 12-06-2005, 09:42 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
a) Washing-up liquids should not be used on a regular basis for vehicles bodywork as their concentrated detergent soaps and usually high sodium content (sodium hydroxide) which produces a highly alkaline (pH 12.8) content, which will emulsify, breakdown and leach out oils naturally found in your paint, and also any oils you have applied in the way of a polish or glaze.

Most polymer sealants, synthetic and natural waxes are detergent resistant, so a dishwashing detergent like Dawn will not remove them (See also Washing-up liquids)

b) Surface tension- water has a property called surface tension; it’s caused by the attraction between the molecules of the liquid, due to various intermolecular forces. In the bulk of the liquid each molecule is pulled equally in all directions by neighbouring liquid molecules, resulting in a net force of zero. This tension causes water to bead up on surfaces, you can see surface tension at work by placing a drop of water onto a clean surface that has no wax / sealant, and the water drop (bead) will hold its shape and will not spread.

{each one / teach one][then student /becomes teacher}
JonM
Old 12-07-2005, 03:17 PM
1st Gear

Don't flame me here but I've had really good luck using the cheapest Suave shampoo from Wal-Mart. It's very mild on the paint(doesn't strip wax) and is very reasonable at $1.29 or so. I had always purchased the high dollar car washing soap until my brother-in-law turned me on to using shampoo. My .02
Old 10-30-2006, 10:06 PM
13.5buysit

Originally Posted by epkim
lol i wax my car twice a month... maybe I should spend less time detailing. I used Meguires HI-TECH 26 showcar finish and that keeps the showroom finish on my TSX. Also the Turtle Wax Car Wash soap is really great, that alone itself keeps the car shiny.
Try Meguire's Next Generation. We replaced 26 with it. We use it on every newer model dark painted car.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:16 PM
Instructor

you replied to his post that is over 2 years old. hehehe
Old 10-31-2006, 08:38 AM
13.5buysit

Originally Posted by paradigm
you replied to his post that is over 2 years old. hehehe
Give me a break im a greenpea.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:12 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

This thread is ageless
Old 10-31-2006, 10:34 AM
Safety Car

fdl, why not sticky this one (or just the article itself) and/or combine it with the Acurazine Car Care FAQ?
Old 10-31-2006, 10:37 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
fdl, why not sticky this one (or just the article itself) and/or combine it with the Acurazine Car Care FAQ?

It's linked from the Care Care FAQ.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:30 AM
Safety Car

Oops, shouda checked before I opened my mouth ........
Old 08-27-2009, 08:27 PM
10th Gear

Q: Zaino web site says

# When all polish is removed, spray a light coat of Z-6 Gloss Enhancer. Immediately buff dry.

Having never used it I am wondering how evenly it has to be sprayed? Does the enhancer wipe off like dry wax or can it leave an uneven coating? Thanks.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
i definitely give you credit for searching for this thread back from the dead... kudos to you...

as for your question, since you are going to be wiping it off, you shouldn't have to worry too much about spraying it exactly evenly... a few sprits that has enough coverage per panel should be fine to wipe off like spray wax...
Old 08-27-2009, 09:24 PM
10th Gear

I found it thru the Wash & Wax FAQ. Hope it is ok to post on this thread. Thanks for your response.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:10 PM
Phmbm12

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
how do you get dirt off if it WONT come off?
Old 09-29-2009, 09:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Pre soak, or use something like

Name:  citruswashandgloss-16.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  11.0 KB
Fast penetrating citrus aided lubricating foam lifts, and holds soil in suspension for easy scratch free rinsing. Ultra hyper concentrated citrus extracts break down dirt and grime while wheel and rim cleaner lubricating surfaces allowing debris to be gently rinsed off. Naturally derived Citrus extracts are formulated with the finest cleaning and glossing agents available. 100% pure Citrus Cleaner, free of artificial thickeners, colors or additives delivering the cleanest, streak free high gloss finish.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:06 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fdl
If you use a protectant or dressing on the dash pad, be sure that it does not leave the surface shiny. A shiny dash can reflect light and be a safety hazard while driving.
When I bought my Accord, the dash was so shiny, I almost crashed numerous times. I had to get a dash cover, so it wouldn't be so bad. Thanks for the info, even though I already knew most of it.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:45 PM
1st Gear

These are all very useful information. Thank you, everyone.