Ass dealer

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 11:31 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ass dealer

I went to the dealer, just checking out what kind of used TL they have. This one guy comes to me saying, what kind of car are you looking for(with very bad accent, couldn't understand half of words he said)? I said used TL and he showed me 3 used ones. He asked me how much I am willing to spend. I said about 15k (someone on this board told me to start with 15k) Anyways this 2000 blue TL with 50200 miles looked sweet so we went for a test drive. I like the car and everything, it's not in excellent condition but clean.(has tiny scratches) So we went inside to make a deal. He says the sticker price is 21000 :wow: but that's just sticker price. Ignoring sticker price, I offered 15k. He said that'd be a little too cheap to buy this car. So I added one more grand saying I can pay all by cash at once and drive off the lot. So this guy goes into manager room to check on the price. After a few minute, manager(THE ASS) comes out, looking at me all weird. He said he can't give me this car for 16k and cheapest he can go is 19500. I knew i could go below that so I offered him 18K cash. He sounded somewhat frustrated and said " what about honda accord? with that money, you can only afford accord and cash dont mean anything to us we dont give discounts because of cash." Well, then I got pissed off and asked him one more time if I can get any cheaper. Guess what he smiles(in an ass way) and says no. So I left that stupid dealer. What a nice service..
If he didn't be an ass and i was willing to negotiate between 18k and 19k he could've got a deal but guess he doesn't want the money.

ps. dealers dont know **** about what they are selling.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:05 AM
Instructor

I work in the dealership business (my company makes the software they run on). Most car salesmen are only worth 90 days of employment before they're fired or leave due to mental anguish as a result on the high pressure to sell. Therefore they take just about anyone. 15% of all car salesmen are ex-cons. A vast majority only know enough about the cars they're selling from a brochure they glanced through on a coffee break, because in three months they'll be in an another city at another dealership selling a different kind of car, or they'll be doing something else more worthwhile with their lives. The salesmen are just there to tell you how great the car is and get basic selling price to start negotiations with. The sales manager, or more likely the finance manager, is the one who knows how to turn a profit and is going the person you close the deal with. If they're a ****, leave. You're the one with the money in your pocket.

While you are right, you should probably own that TL for about $15.5K, the dealership cares about it's profits. Trust me, they're still making a profit off $15K, but they're not going to sell it to you at that price because they know if you don't buy it, some schmuck the next day will come in and pay the $19.5K and think hes getting a deal because he doesn't know any better. The Accord they have on their lot is probably a dog they can't get rid of (it would be sitting on an Acura lot), and it probably has whats called a "spiff" on it, a bonus the dealer offers to salesmen who can get a certain car off the lot in a hurry.

Search around and find a dealer that doesn't suck. Might have to drive a bit but its worth it. You're best off in a large metro area with several Acura dealers where they have to compete and can't just name their prices.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup ... dealer are h3lla a$$holes when dealing with the price. I remember when I was shopping for my Jeep Grand Cherokee, I went through so many dealers in Bay Area to find a dealer who would take the price I wanted. Once the manager came out with a long a$$ face and offered me a stupid deal, I just walked.
No big deal, it was just a practise for me to be a better talker.

My suggestion is to shop other places, don't give up once you have been turned down, just walk. There are tons of 2000 TL out there that are wating for you.

Good Luck.

Cheers !11
Old 09-23-2003, 12:49 AM
Racer

If you are willing to pay cash why dont you try u buy it from a private seller?
Old 09-23-2003, 01:22 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by eyesnake02
If you are willing to pay cash why dont you try u buy it from a private seller?
I am trying both private and dealer. What's weird about many of private sellers are that they want to get same amount of money as dealers. I live in Northwest area so if you guys know any good dealership or a website that has many private sellers listed, please help me out here.

Thanks again
Old 09-23-2003, 01:27 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by Deity42

While you are right, you should probably own that TL for about $15.5K, the dealership cares about it's profits. Trust me, they're still making a profit off $15K, but they're not going to sell it to you at that price because they know if you don't buy it, some schmuck the next day will come in and pay the $19.5K and think hes getting a deal because he doesn't know any better.
Thanks for the advice, this manager said he bought that car for 16k which is total BS. Next time I should be like show me the receipt
Old 09-23-2003, 09:19 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
if you are willing to spend the same money, wait till the new TL comes out and people start trading in the type s', you will find those for peanuts.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:34 AM
New Life

Ok check this out, as per Kelly BB, a 2000 TL w/53,000mi Retail (if you are buying from the dealer $19,580.
Here's what p... me off, same car but now trade-in $14,230.
Now I know the dealer have to make some money but they think the consumer is stupid or something, there is no way I'm going to pay 19,580 for a car that is really worth 14,230 (this is just an example).
Every time I go to the dealer I am well prepare to negociate knowing what my car is worth and what the car I'm looking for is worth and I take copies of all that to them so they know I'm not the average customer, trust me if they know that you're prepared they will negociate. Now, timing is everything so if you are looking for a used TL now, wait until the '04 is at the dealers, you will get a very good deal on the used ones and don't forget to tell them that the new model is out so that will reduce the value of the leftover stock, good luck and be patient.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

You want a car that's 2 years old with 50K for half it's original price...get real. Oh and just so you know, the dealer doesn't get anything when you buy the car for cash. Dealers make more money on financing with interest. So why would they want you. You see you have to take it from their perspective, you can't always get what you want.

My advice is to shop around, but I doubt you'll get a 2000 TL for $15-16K unless it has over 100K miles on it. Maybe you'll get a '99 TL with same milage for $17-18K
Old 09-23-2003, 01:29 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Alexxx
You want a car that's 2 years old with 50K for half it's original price...get real. Oh and just so you know, the dealer doesn't get anything when you buy the car for cash. Dealers make more money on financing with interest. So why would they want you. You see you have to take it from their perspective, you can't always get what you want.

My advice is to shop around, but I doubt you'll get a 2000 TL for $15-16K unless it has over 100K miles on it. Maybe you'll get a '99 TL with same milage for $17-18K
Well, I understand what you are saying. But if you were in my shoes you wouldn't buy a 99 TL w/ 50k miles for 17-18k when you look around here and see people buying 00-02 TL w/ 40k miles for 17-18k. By the way, 00' cars are almost 4 years old, not 2 years.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:32 PM
Instructor

I'm not a car salesperson but am in sales...I love how people that don't get their price *****. You want your dealership to make a profit so they can service your car. I have a friend at Acura and here in NC, they don't really deal a whole lot of price. Learn how to negotiate with the manager without getting pissed off. It took my friend 5 times to the "managers" office to get close to what I wanted. I bet if you call them back they are willing to deal a little more. Get "evidence" of the blue book and give it to them. It sounds like the manager that said go buy an Accord did the takeawayor you "rubbed" him the wrong way and he said "screw" him. Call the salesperson back and he will be willing to negotiate more. Don't be too quick to up your price, stick on the price you want longer.
Old 09-23-2003, 04:05 PM
Racer

My TL had under 85,000 miles, a 2000, and was $12,599.00 and is mechanically and cosmetically sound and I financed through my credit union so the acura dealer didn't see one extra penny...

-Joe
Old 09-23-2003, 04:50 PM
Go Stros!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just like it when they go get the manager. It is just another trick they use, but then again, everyone knows that. I remember when we were looking for a car for my sis. We went to this Toyota dealership to deal on a Brand new Solara. The salesman and me didn't agree on price(of course, who does) and so after about five more minutes of negotiation, he went go get his "manager". Of course, he comes this big fat guy that thinks he can top me. I'm telling him my price and he is saying that the car is worth so much more and he starts listing all the features. Well, in the middle of him listing those features, I cut him off and say, "I know what comes with the car and what the features are, but what I want to know is whether or not you are going to accept the price I'm offering to pay." Of course, he said, No and then I just get up and walk straight out of his office. Well on my way out the salesman gets my number and said that he would call me back later that day if he could come up with a price I like.

Well, he did call me up later and he did accept my price, BUT by then I was already signing papers at the Honda Dealership for a New Accord Coupe. That is how you deal with those punkass salesmen. You just have to cut them off and get them to get straight to the point. If they don't accept, f*ck them, get up and go. The need you more than you need them.
Old 09-23-2003, 05:16 PM
Rock Star

dealers just hate when the buyer is more educated than them which is a great amount of time
Old 09-23-2003, 05:45 PM
7th Gear

DRDDA, I also live in the NW (in Kirkland, no less) and we bought my wife's 99 TL with 42k miles on it about 5 months ago for $17,100 from Acura of Lynnwood. They were offering the car for 19,995 and while I don't think we got a great deal I feel we got a pretty good deal (we kinda had to buy, see below). I still see them in the paper around here from both private and dealers for 19 to 21k. We did pay cash but we did NOT tell them that until we agreed on the price and the salesman had the credit paperwork stuff right in front of me.

By the way, howdy everyone. This is my first post. I've been hanging out on the board for about 8 months now, ever since my wife's previous car ('94 Altima in great shape) was totaled by the local landscapers in a "freak" accident (the name of the damn company was Total Landscapers, wouldn't you know).
Old 09-23-2003, 05:54 PM
Banned

I had a Nissan dealer once with me and my friend, trying to sell him a MAXIMA from a brochure without walking him over to the car, cuz it was a hot day and didnt want to get his fat ass off the chair. Instead of talking about the features and options of the car he was telling how each nut and bolt is polished and f'd before it goes in the car... my friend got mad and cussed him out and left. This was after repeatedly asking him to take us to a car outside.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:02 PM
Banned

I had a Nissan dealer once with me and my friend, trying to sell him a MAXIMA from a brochure without walking him over to the car, cuz it was a hot day and didnt want to get his fat ass off the chair. Instead of talking about the features and options of the car he was telling how each nut and bolt is polished and f'd before it goes in the car... my friend got mad and cussed him out and left. This was after repeatedly asking him to take us to a car outside.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:27 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by TomJones
DRDDA, I also live in the NW (in Kirkland, no less) and we bought my wife's 99 TL with 42k miles on it about 5 months ago for $17,100 from Acura of Lynnwood. They were offering the car for 19,995 and while I don't think we got a great deal I feel we got a pretty good deal (we kinda had to buy, see below). I still see them in the paper around here from both private and dealers for 19 to 21k. We did pay cash but we did NOT tell them that until we agreed on the price and the salesman had the credit paperwork stuff right in front of me.

By the way, howdy everyone. This is my first post. I've been hanging out on the board for about 8 months now, ever since my wife's previous car ('94 Altima in great shape) was totaled by the local landscapers in a "freak" accident (the name of the damn company was Total Landscapers, wouldn't you know).
Ironic... We live in Kirkland and dealer that I went to is Acura of Lynnwood too.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:45 PM
7th Gear

Get out. I dealt with a young guy named Cale and was for the most part satisfied with the experience. So much so that I intend on doing the maintenance there. I did come prepared with info. I had gotten from the Kirkland library (specifically, two copies of the NADA values for that car with that mileage) and we negotiated back and forth and finally settled on a price. Weird how some of these guys can be asshats and others can be OK, even though they're all pretty much asshats in reality.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:23 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by maxx96
Ok check this out, as per Kelly BB, a 2000 TL w/53,000mi Retail (if you are buying from the dealer $19,580.
Here's what p... me off, same car but now trade-in $14,230.
Now I know the dealer have to make some money but they think the consumer is stupid or something, there is no way I'm going to pay 19,580 for a car that is really worth 14,230 (this is just an example).
Every time I go to the dealer I am well prepare to negociate knowing what my car is worth and what the car I'm looking for is worth and I take copies of all that to them so they know I'm not the average customer, trust me if they know that you're prepared they will negociate. Now, timing is everything so if you are looking for a used TL now, wait until the '04 is at the dealers, you will get a very good deal on the used ones and don't forget to tell them that the new model is out so that will reduce the value of the leftover stock, good luck and be patient.
I hate dealers as much as the next guy, but you cannot say that a car is only worth the trade-in value as stated in the book. The true value of the car, if in very-good-to-excellent condition is somewhere between trade-in and retail.

The dealer probably buys the car for something near trade-in value. Then, he supposedly fixes all the probs with the car, maybe puts on new tires, etc. After having made that investment, the dealer will then try to sell the car at retail price.

A private seller will need to price the car somewhere between trade-in and retail, depending on the condition of the car. The closer the seller gets to retail price, the more expense it might be for him to fix up the car.

For a car with a $14,200 trade-in and a $19,500 retail price, $15k is probably a good starting point for negotiating. A good deal (assuming the car is in top condition) is probably in the 17k-18k range.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

When i was looking for mine....i started early and i had time on my side.....i went to the dealer i wanted to buy from ....First salesman i got was a cocky young guy.....well we talked price and everything was good ....but i didnt like this guy because of his attitude.....so a few weeks later i come back and i find another salesman and i lay the deal down with him ... this one was much more accomodating and had a better personality.....but still a butt head. On the day of the trade in evaluation the manager came out to check out the car and give me a price....a 91 legend.He took a quick look ,never drove it and gave me the book value which was fair....and since it was the end of the month they needed to move as many cars out as they could ..other wise they would have to pay the bank and insurance company again for another month.So he says to me if you take it before the end of the month which was that week....ill drop another 500 off the price.So i took delivery that week and the cocky salesman that i didnt like made a stink to the manager because i had spoke to him first then made the deal with another salesman.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:28 PM
USMC Butterbars

I had a pretty pleasant experience with my dealer. My father and I spoke to a salesman at Park Ave Acura in NJ. We spoke about the car for a bit, then spent an hour talking about his family and ours. Finally, we got back to the car. Lets just say I got a brand new 2001 TL with spoiler, bodykit, and black chrome kit for $30k out the door, which at hte time was i think a pretty damn good deal.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:37 PM
Advanced

I just like it when they go get the manager. It is just another trick they use, but t

Guys, please. It's not a trick. Do you really think a Car Dealership is going to let a pee-on salesperson know what they paid for a car.
Get real.
They go to the Manager because the Manager KNOWS where he can go with the price.
If you don't want to haggle, you have 2 choices...
1) Do your homework. Get Blue Book & Invoice Prices. Shop Around. Use the internet to your advantage.
2) Buy a Saturn. They don't haggle cuz Saturns are POS.

Car dealerships need to make a profit. It is a business. I'm sure that NONE of us on this forum are overpaid for what we do for a living...
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:48 PM
Advanced

"The cocky salesman that i didnt like made a stink to the manager because i had spoke to him first then made the deal with another salesman.."

That's because they work on commission and you screwed him over, which you had EVERY Right to do. If you were smart, you would have explained WHY you talked to someone new to the Sales Manager because most likely they split the commission on your sale. Believe me, if a customer is not happy with a Salesperson, but IS happy with a Dealership, that dealership wants to know.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:29 PM
Instructor

First of all car salespeople don't make much commision of the actual car, they make it in the bonuses for the end of the month. It amazes me that some people that have commented on this thread, the one who started it, knows more than the dealership. Yes I hate dealing with car salespeople also, but you have to if you want a new car. My last 3 new cars I never stepped foot in the dealership unless I got the price I wanted. I know a few sales people and did all of it over the phone. Here is the last thing if you thing car sales people are over paid, go try it and then talk to us. I know I would not want to deal with me when I buy new cars. If the know it all that started the forum came in I would tell him there is an accord down the street also. I would have followed it up by saying Acura are for people that want the best and can afford the best and watch him cry and yell that he can. LOL gotta love sales.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:05 PM
Go Stros!

you guys must all pay full price because you guys obviously think too much for the salesman...Don't talk to me about sales and ****...I am Marketing and doing PROFESSIONAL Selling and trust me it is just another trick. You have to know what you selling and if you don't then you should find another job. First rule in selling. Besides the whole point of a business deal is to find a mutual understanding on profit for both sides. Well, trust me, if they did agree to my price then that means they are still making a profit and if they didn't then they might not be but then again they can always say that.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:33 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally posted by DRDDA
Well, I understand what you are saying. But if you were in my shoes you wouldn't buy a 99 TL w/ 50k miles for 17-18k when you look around here and see people buying 00-02 TL w/ 40k miles for 17-18k. By the way, 00' cars are almost 4 years old, not 2 years.

Projected residual value of my 2003 TL-S is 52% of its MSRP after 3 years of ownership.

$15,000 sounds about right for a 2000 with 50k miles.

You run into some good dealers, and you experience some bad ones. It happens. Just gotta keep looking until you find the right one. The one I got my car from is excellent. Everyone on the sales staff knew what they were talking about. I mainly dealt with this one girl, but I also had a chance to talk to other salespeople. They knew their sh*t, and had been there for a long time. One guy in his 50's used to work at Mercedes making over 100,000 dollars a year, but couldn't deal with the customers' attitude and the pressure from his boss. He said working at Acura was much, much better.

Let's not even get started on some of the domestic brand dealerships. Ack!
Old 09-23-2003, 11:48 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Old 09-24-2003, 12:30 AM
Race Director

Ok First of all a 2003 TL without even bargaining are going for 25-26k, they are trying to get rid of them..

Some OLD TL owners are trading there car in for 04 TL and so the value of the old TL's has gone down.. Did u not see the trade in is around $14k.. I think its very reasonable to get a 2000 TL for $15-16k

Anyways he mentioned that he was willing to pay 17-18..

If that dealer was smart he would have sold it, to make room for new TL's!!!
Old 09-24-2003, 07:38 AM
Advanced

you guys must all pay full price

If $28,607 is FULL PRICE on a 2003 TL-S is full price, I guess you got me. That was back in April. I was so LUCKY and the dealer was so nice. He THREW IN 2.9% financing.

Just because you are in Professional Sales (whatever that is)doesn't mean anything. I am a Sales Trainer for one of the largest Companies in the World, who cares? All I am saying is that people have this attitude about car sales, but they'll pay $85 bucks for a pair of TOMMY Jeans. Look at the BIG PICTURE. Car Dealerships are there for one reason only to make money. They are just like ANYONE else. Is that cup of coffee @ STARBUCKS really worth $4? Please, I bet you never complain about that though, and neither do I. If you don't like something, DO something about it, (get informed) but don't complain. It certainly isn't going to change ANYTHING.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:54 AM
Instructor

Thank you Catchawave!!!!!
Old 09-24-2003, 08:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by CatchaWave
"The cocky salesman that i didnt like made a stink to the manager because i had spoke to him first then made the deal with another salesman.."

That's because they work on commission and you screwed him over, which you had EVERY Right to do. If you were smart, you would have explained WHY you talked to someone new to the Sales Manager because most likely they split the commission on your sale. Believe me, if a customer is not happy with a Salesperson, but IS happy with a Dealership, that dealership wants to know.
Didnt think i had to explain why i did it...yes i know they work on commission....and the manager there knows me now pretty well since ive been asking about the new tl.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:24 AM
Advanced

Didnt think i had to explain why i did it...

Let them know.
Believe me, they want to know if someone is not doing their job properly.
A Sh*&ty Salesperson NEVER helps the reputation of a dealership and that's what dealerships live by... Their Reputation.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:27 AM
Racer

Car dealers

Depending on how the dealership is set up, you salesman can be a total idiot, or your best tool. Most dealerships are set up with Salesmen and Salesmanagers (the good guy/bad guy). You know, when you make an offer and they go off to OZ or somewhere, coming back 15 minutes later looking like they fought for you with another crappy offer from the "man behind the curtain." Bullsh*t.

They know exactly how much they can sell a car for and make money. The 15 minutes it the salesmanager coaching your buddy in how to try and get the most profit out of you. Before they got smart - you could come in armed with invoice pricing and what have you, but KBB is no longer your friend. You ever wonder why you go look at your trade in value and it 14000 and the dealer price for your same car is 20000?? KBB is the auto industry bit*h. You need to get it from NADA, that is more accurate.

Private owners are doing the same thing, the are getting screwed by KBB and dealers on trade, then go look at the private party value from the same KBB.

When I got my car - I also looked at an ENVOY (GM discount from brother) and Saab 93 Linear (ditto). I had an 02 maxima se with 18500 miles. Clean, looked and smelled brand new still. My pay off was 16250. One dealer offered me 14000 trade in, then told me the only way to get to my pay off was going the rebate route and taking the interest on the loan. One dealer offered me KBB trade in price of 15500 - telling me he was doing me a favor becuase that is really high for my car.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:42 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I had a dealer give me a nasty attiude when I walked into the dealership with my friend looking for a TL. My friend was interested in the TSX but it seemed like she shrugged him off so he was pissed. She wasn't so nice to me either, maybe I looked a little young and she felt I didn't have the money. She offered $29k, I offered $28k hoping for $28.5k. She just turned me down so I left. 3 days later I went to another dealership... much nicer ppl.... they offered $28.8k or something and we finally agreed on $28.6k with an alarm. It was really funny because the ***** that shrugged me and my friend off called a minute before i handed over the downpayment check and signed the papers =)
Old 09-24-2003, 08:53 AM
Racer

the other problem is

with all these incentives, 0% what have you - they are selling cars like mad - so they can afford to be a-holes. Not one dealer I went to has called me back since i walked out. A year ago, they would call me daily.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:22 PM
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
To dealers there is no such thing as 'trade-in value'. There is only 'auction price' for the market the vehicle is being sold in. Go to a car auction and see for yourself! Cars are bought at well BELOW these trade-in values you see on these KBB sites and in the 'Black Book, etc. You can buy a car at auction yourself, just be sure to take a mechanic who can verify that it is in sound condition.

Trading in a car is the best way to lose money. Paying retail for a used car is another way to lose money. As soon as you drive a brand new $30k car off the lot, it depreciates by about $8-10k wholesale.

Your best bet for buying used is at one of the state house auctions. You can pick up a good 1-2 year old vehicle for $10k off of retail in most markets easily.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:24 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by garylee55

Your best bet for buying used is at one of the state house auctions. You can pick up a good 1-2 year old vehicle for $10k off of retail in most markets easily.
what's a state house auction?? A dealer auction??
Old 09-24-2003, 03:36 PM
Go Stros!

My, My CatchaWave...Good arguement, but you misunderstood me. I was not trying to attack salespeople in general. I'm attacking those ass of salespeople the one that makes the rest of them look bad. It is a matter of one guy watching out for his interest and the other watching out for his own. conflicting interest is what it is really all about. One person wants to save the most money and the other wants to make the most money. So the battle is on then. I was just offering my method of getting the price you would want or I would want. I wasn't trying to school people on anything, just speaking my mind. I learned from personal experience and school want it takes to be a successful salesperson and at the same time, I would know how to get the upper hand on salespeople, but that isn't the issue here. All I was trying to do was just give a scenario where I beat the salesperson at their own game and it wasn't like I bought the car from him anyways. Another salesperson knew what I wanted and the price I wanted and I didn't even negoitiate much and I must admit that salesperson was very good. I guess, you get your bad ones and good ones. And you need to chill a bit, thinking so sarcastically.

Oh yeah, I don't drink coffee. hahaha just thought I tell you that. No hard feelings man, I was just stating my opinion or as many put it, giving my two cents.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:42 PM
Go Stros!

Oh yeah, one more thing you are right. But Damn, if the Car dealership was being an ass and obviously not giving the price you want..what would you think?

Quick Reply: Ass dealer