Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

`04-`06 vs. `07 Interior

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 11:22 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
`04-`06 vs. `07 Interior

I just dropped off my `06 TL for A1 service this morning and to take a look at what I consider premature wear on my front seats. While waiting for the shuttle, I took a look at all of the `07 models in the showroom and MAN was I SHOCKED!

Everyone says that the leather is better in the 2007, but I don't know so much. I sat in a 2007 TL-S and the leather seemed a tad more sturdy, had heavier grain than the 2006 and the stitching was heavier. And the two-tone seating surface is REALLY cool, BUT the bolsters were much, MUCH softer than the 2006 and didn't completely fill out the leather covers. I'd imagine that after time the soft bolsters would lack the support to keep the shape of the seats and would lead to rapid deterioration and wear on the leather.

And the 2007 MDX was even WORSE! The bolsters were soft. I mean reallllllly soft. Like a throw cushion on a sofa. So soft that as I tried to slide across the driver's seat, the left hand side of the cusion bottom buckled and pulled against my jeans. (And I'm not a very heavy guy, mind you!) The showroom model was already showing signs of pretty nasty wear and it was -- for all intents and purposes -- brand new. (Yeah, people get in and out, in and out, in and out of showroom cars, but it couldn't have been THAT many people!!!)

The 2007 TSX had decent seats, but not up to par with the quality I think is there in the 2006 TL seats, but it's a TSX and it's not supposed to be high-end. It's entry-level of course. And for the money, it's still probably the best dollar value for the class of car and options you're going to get. (PS - Did they change the trim around the NAVI in the 2007? It looks MUCH cleaner than I ever remember it!)

All that being said, the 2007 RDX had the nicest seats, in my opinion. Yes, I know they're supposed to be the same as the TSX seats, but the bolsters were very firm (almost hard, but with enough give to be comfy and cup you in the seat), the leather was stiff but had a thick, durable feel to it. The perforated surfaces didn't stretch too much which gave me the impression they were made to last. The head rests were a tad uncomfortable, but oh well. The most glaring omission in the base RDX was the lack of memory seat settings. WTF?

And the sticker on the 2007 RDX with the tech package was $38K which, to me, is a tad pricy. If it topped out at $36K, I think people would be FAR more inclined to get it. I mean, the base 2007 MDX is so close in price. But, again, the new MDX seemed kinda crappy to me for a $40K to $50K SUV.

They didn't have an RL in the show room, but I'd expect it to be the best of the entire lineup. But since they didn't have one, I can't really comment.

Has anyone else had the same experience? Is anyone as surprised as I am?
Old 02-28-2007, 11:50 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First off, the leather quality in the '07 TL is by far better than that of the '06. I work at an Acura dealer, and it's very noticable. The TL-S does have a cheaper feel, to me. I do agree that the side bolsters in the TL-S are a bit more flimsy, but overall, still nice.

The new MDX, is an amazing truck. Acura came a LONG way from the first generation. I do agree with you about the bolsters, they do seem a bit cheaper, and the leather does show wear much more than the other cars. We have an MDX loaner, and man one with about 3500 miles on it has pretty nice wear on the bottom side of the seat. But considering the previous MDX's this one is beautiful, and much better. And you would be surprised how many people do get in and out and in and out of the showroom cars, kids too!

The TSX is exactly the same as the '06 TSX, except for the rearview mirror. It has more of a square shape to it. The navi trim did not change.

The RDX does have awesome and comfortable and soft seats. The tech package for the RDX doesn't even give you memory seats. Nor does it give you a power passenger seat. But I think they will add that for '08. They did the same thing for the TSX when it first was launched. In '04 the TSX didn't have memory seats and it did not have a powe rpassenger seat. Also another thing i've found tacky in the new MDX and RDX: they both do not have auto-dimming mirrors. But I think that is beacause the trucks are a little higher therefore the chances of other cars headlights bliding you are pretty slim. And I must agree with the price of the RDX, it's just outrageous for what you get.

And as for the RL, by far the best in quality, and comfort. The leather is so plush, yet supportive. And the most beautiful Acura, by far.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:52 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The leather in the MDX is by far superior to that found in the TL at least '04-'06's. TSX seats have better quality leather as well when compared to the '04-'06's.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by s55lear
First off, the leather quality in the '07 TL is by far better than that of the '06. I work at an Acura dealer, and it's very noticable. The TL-S does have a cheaper feel, to me. I do agree that the side bolsters in the TL-S are a bit more flimsy, but overall, still nice.

The new MDX, is an amazing truck. Acura came a LONG way from the first generation. I do agree with you about the bolsters, they do seem a bit cheaper, and the leather does show wear much more than the other cars. We have an MDX loaner, and man one with about 3500 miles on it has pretty nice wear on the bottom side of the seat. But considering the previous MDX's this one is beautiful, and much better. And you would be surprised how many people do get in and out and in and out of the showroom cars, kids too!

The TSX is exactly the same as the '06 TSX, except for the rearview mirror. It has more of a square shape to it. The navi trim did not change.

The RDX does have awesome and comfortable and soft seats. The tech package for the RDX doesn't even give you memory seats. Nor does it give you a power passenger seat. But I think they will add that for '08. They did the same thing for the TSX when it first was launched. In '04 the TSX didn't have memory seats and it did not have a powe rpassenger seat. Also another thing i've found tacky in the new MDX and RDX: they both do not have auto-dimming mirrors. But I think that is beacause the trucks are a little higher therefore the chances of other cars headlights bliding you are pretty slim. And I must agree with the price of the RDX, it's just outrageous for what you get.

And as for the RL, by far the best in quality, and comfort. The leather is so plush, yet supportive. And the most beautiful Acura, by far.
I agree on the MDX overall. It's a far, far better vehicle than the previous generation. But I was just disappointed in the leather seating surfaces especially when compared to the RDX.

And I think you're right. The leather itself in the `07 TL IS nicer, but those bolsters worry me. But I guess it's all a matter of preference. The one nice thing I did notice was that the side bolsters seemed a tad deeper which might be a feature of the TL-S or might be because the lumbar wasn't fully inflated.

(PS - My service advisor told me that what I'm seeing in my `06 leather is completely normal and will probably smooth out over time. But if it cracks through ot wears, it'll obviously be covered. No biggie. It's been cold here in LA. I'd imagine that when summer rolls around the leather will stretch out more as it gets "lived in".)

No power passenger seat or memory settings on the RDX?! WTF man!?! Haha! It's like... it's a nice SUV and it's got a lot of bang for the buck, but they skimped on some of the STRANGEST things! But it is the first model year, so let's give Acura a chance to stretch it's legs, right? The seats are -- to me -- the most comfortable of the Acura SUVs.

Now... let's see if on my next visit I can wrangle an RL loaner! (Yeah, right!!)
Old 02-28-2007, 12:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JDM5lugHatch
The leather in the MDX is by far superior to that found in the TL at least '04-'06's. TSX seats have better quality leather as well when compared to the '04-'06's.
You think? I guess it's all an objective opinion, but it seemed soft (which FEELS good) but flimsy. I was afraid it would tear easilly.

And we have an `04 TSX and an `06 TL and side-by-side, the quality of the leather is very apparant. The TSX feels slightly more plastic-like and the TL leather is more smooth. But I see what you mean by the '07 TSX leather. It almost seems like they made it a tad more grainy. As far as colors, the one in the showroom had the camel interior and it looked a tad too yellow for my liking, especially paired with the bright red exterior.

But, then, I think I'm being just a tad too picky lately!
Old 02-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jzacuto
No power passenger seat or memory settings on the RDX?! WTF man!?! Haha! It's like... it's a nice SUV and it's got a lot of bang for the buck, but they skimped on some of the STRANGEST things! But it is the first model year, so let's give Acura a chance to stretch it's legs, right? The seats are -- to me -- the most comfortable of the Acura SUVs.

Now... let's see if on my next visit I can wrangle an RL loaner! (Yeah, right!!)
It's weird, the manual passenger seat and no mem seats. Haha, but oh well, like we said, give them some time.

Haha, but that RL loaner, I bet they're hard to come by. My dealer doesn't even have any! We have a shitload of TSX's (one with nav.) and 3 RDX's (2 with nav.)and 2 MDX's (both w. nav). I heard we were supposed to get some TL's and I have no idea about RL loaners.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:27 PM
Advanced

As far as colors, the one in the showroom had the camel interior and it looked a tad too yellow for my liking, especially paired with the bright red exterior.

Whaaaa? The TSX has never been available with camel leather. Are you sure you were not talking about the parchment?
Old 02-28-2007, 04:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
. As far as colors, the one in the showroom had the camel interior and it looked a tad too yellow for my liking, especially paired with the bright red exterior.

But, then, I think I'm being just a tad too picky lately!
I think the camel is a love it or hate it color. Its very striking compared to the parchment, which is exactly why I love it. I wish it could have been even a deeper brown though.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
^^^^ i agree. got camel interior and luv it.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by s55lear
Whaaaa? The TSX has never been available with camel leather. Are you sure you were not talking about the parchment?
Hmmm... I'm not entirely sure. I mean, it could have been, but it was almost yellow not light like the parchment I've seen otherwise. I guess you could call it tan with a yellow tint so I thought it was camel.

I'm wondering if the showroom model was a bad dye lot or something? I mean, it looked heavilly dyed.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
There are some other changes in the '07 interior that no one has mentioned yet.

Camel is no longer available. I was going to go with parchment until I saw the new shade of gray, and jumped at that instead. I really love it. They also chose a more subdued shade for the woodgrain trim. It's much darker... less garish, and contrasts superbly with the gray leather.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by oldsnwbrdr
There are some other changes in the '07 interior that no one has mentioned yet.

Camel is no longer available. I was going to go with parchment until I saw the new shade of gray, and jumped at that instead. I really love it. They also chose a more subdued shade for the woodgrain trim. It's much darker... less garish, and contrasts superbly with the gray leather.
All I know is that the TSX has never had camel leather available as an option. And camel was only available on the '04 TL and mayyyyybe '05, im not positive on the '05 thought. And which car were you talking about? Acura has never put "gray" leather with any woodgrain as far as the 3G TL and TSX go. No if you are talking about the TAUPE, that's a different story. Thats more of a grayish tanish, which is what they are putting the the TL now, and that does have the dark wood.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
05 definately had camel.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:57 AM
Advanced

Okay so yeah, the 2004-2005 TL did have camel available. The TSX, though, never had it as an interior color.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:05 AM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My ...

I currently have an 06 TSX as a loaner for the day; black with parchment interior and actually better looking wood-like panels than in my TL. But I did take notice (thanks to reading this post yesterday) that the TSX's seats are much more stiff and uninviting than what is in the TL. It doesn't look or have the same texture as the TL, even though I have the same color scheme.

But - very cute and peppy car; although I doubt I would pay $30G+ for a 4 cylinder car....
Old 03-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
^^^^ i agree. got camel interior and luv it.
And if you tell someone you have a "Camel TL" really quickly they might laugh at you.