B13 Service Reminder

Old 07-18-2012, 09:53 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B13 Service Reminder

My 2010 TL just turned 58,000 miles. A service reminder for a "B13" procedure just popped up on my screen. Does anyone know what a "B13" service procedure is?

thanks.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:09 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
owner's manual???

B= glorified oil change with a bunch of inspections
1= tire rotation
3= tranny flush
Old 07-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The b includes a front and rear brake service, it will prolong the life of your brake pads, the 1 is a tire rotation and 3 is transmission fluid replacement, a lot of people believe that the B is overated but working in the dealers for 15+ years, brake servicing is well worth it!
Old 07-18-2012, 04:40 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

where in the owner's manual does the B service include a front and rear brake service??? and what does this entail??? all i see is a bunch of inspections of items only seen when the car is up on the lift. please site your source.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:56 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

straight from an acura OM:

B service includes the following:
Replace engine oil and oil filter
Inspect front and rear brakes
Check parking brake adjustment
Inspect these items:
Tie rod ends, steering gear box, and boots
Suspension components
Driveshaft boots
Brake hoses and line (including ABS)
All fluid levels and condition of fluids
Exhaust system
Fuel lines and connections

other than an inspection of the brakes...not much in terms of "brake service."
Old 07-18-2012, 07:47 PM
Advanced

I'm a Honda technician, with a dealer for the last 17 years. And ever since the maintenance minder system came out we have been doing these B services and it included all of the above including a brake service.
Then again I work in Canada, not sure if the American MM system is any different, I can't imagine it is but could be, why don't you call the dealer if your in the USA and ask them what is included?
Old 07-18-2012, 08:06 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

i will almost guarantee any US based dealer doesn't do a "brake service" as part of the B service. they follow the check list as noted from the above items in the OM. anything other than that...is extra. in my 7 + yrs of ownership...no mention of brake service with a B.

so what does the brake service you guys do entail???
Old 07-18-2012, 08:10 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sdelia
I'm a Honda technician, with a dealer for the last 17 years. And ever since the maintenance minder system came out we have been doing these B services and it included all of the above including a brake service.
Then again I work in Canada, not sure if the American MM system is any different, I can't imagine it is but could be, why don't you call the dealer if your in the USA and ask them what is included?
what is the "brake service"?

there's a difference between "been doing" (read making people pay for) and "required/recommended" by manufacturer.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Advanced

Taking the brake pads out, cleaning and lubricating the contact points so the pads don't seize in the caliper carriers, cleans and lube the slider pins, and remove the caliper carrier shims and clean off the build up of rust underneath and lubricate, and lightly sand gown the surface of the pads to de glaze them.
Like I said up here we do it as part of the mm b service.
I verified with the Canadian maintenance schedule and it includes all of what you mentioned including a brake service!
Send me your email address and I'll take a pic and show you as I can't post pics from my phone.
My email address is
rxpsc@hotmail.com
Old 07-18-2012, 08:37 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by morbidz
what is the "brake service"?

there's a difference between "been doing" (read making people pay for) and "required/recommended" by manufacturer.
We do what is recommended in the CANADIAN maintenance schedule put out by Honda/Acura in Canada, like I said maybe in your country the manufacturer deems in not necessary to perform brake services to prolong their customers brake pads?!?! I don't work in the states.
We don't hold a gun to anyone's head, forcing them to do anything, so by implying we are being crooked is not appreciated, thank for your comment though
Old 07-19-2012, 05:15 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Taking the brake pads out, cleaning and lubricating the contact points so the pads don't seize in the caliper carriers, cleans and lube the slider pins, and remove the caliper carrier shims and clean off the build up of rust underneath and lubricate, and lightly sand gown the surface of the pads to de glaze them.
Like I said up here we do it as part of the mm b service.
I verified with the Canadian maintenance schedule and it includes all of what you mentioned including a brake service!
Send me your email address and I'll take a pic and show you as I can't post pics from my phone.
My email address is
rxpsc@hotmail.com
The dealer has done that to my brakes. It does help.

Last edited by nj2pa2nc; 07-19-2012 at 05:22 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:13 AM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Isn't this brake service done when the pads are worn and need to be changed? And at 58,000 miles as posted by the OP, they may need to be swapped out if it's still the original set that came with the car.

I did an oil change with synthetic oil, rotated & balanced the tires, and changed out the rear differential fluid when the B16 service was needed a few months ago per the Owner's Manual. My point is that my brakes feel just fine @ 16,000 miles (80% highway miles) and hence don't need a brake service with every 'B' service reminder... I also changed out the engine air filter and cabin air filter because they were so filthy when I looked at them and the codes to change them had not popped up (Acura recommends these to be changed @ 15,000 miles if the car is driven in urban areas with dusty conditions and high soot concentrations). Again, do what is necessary....

Last edited by lji; 07-19-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Advanced

The first post asked what the B13 included.
I am simply replying back with what the Canadian maint schedule says it includes.
It's your car choose what you want to do and when.
End of story!!
Old 07-19-2012, 11:26 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by lji
Isn't this brake service done when the pads are worn and need to be changed? And at 58,000 miles as posted by the OP, they may need to be swapped out if it's still the original set that came with the car.

I did an oil change with synthetic oil, rotated & balanced the tires, and changed out the rear differential fluid when the B16 service was needed a few months ago per the Owner's Manual. My point is that my brakes feel just fine @ 16,000 miles (80% highwqay miles) and hence don't need a brake service with every 'B' service reminder... I also changed out the engine air filter and cabin air filter because they were so filthy when I looked at them and the codes to change them had not popped up. Again, do what is necessary....
The brakes on my tsx have 142k+ miles. The dealer has cleaned the brakes, etc. a few times when they rotated/balanced the tires. Not every time or when the B code appeared
Old 07-19-2012, 11:30 AM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
sdelia, no need to feel offended... this is a forum where different opinions are thrown around.... to each his own...
Old 07-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
^^^^ I also worked for a very large Honda dealer in Indiana for around 5 yrs and we did this as part of a B service also. My is that it helped with noise's/squeak's and comeback's, etc.

I think it varies by dealer, some do it and some don't. I never saw it in the OM but it was in the service guides our dealership used. My theory was if you are going to inspect the pads why not just service the whole system while you are there.

Last edited by kaza; 07-19-2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 10-07-2012, 10:45 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question about dealer brakes...

I bought my TL CPO, and the brakes were replaced as part of this certification. This was 10 months ago. Car has 62k on it now and the B-13 code came on. When the dealer did the CPO, can I trust that they properly inspected the calipers, slides, AND flushed the fluid etc, WHILE changing out new rotors and pads?

Thanks
Old 10-07-2012, 10:59 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^they may have inspected it. what yr is your car? they would probably flush the brake fluid only if the car was around 3 yrs old (which is the service interval). at most they may have topped off the brake fluid doing the brake job for CPO. all depends on the dealer.

when you take the car in for service to the dealer you need to ask what is included with THEIR "B" service. apparently there is some variability in what is actually included. my OM does not include any type of brake type service (lubricating etc) for a B service aside from inspecting pad life and/or rotor life. IIRC.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:47 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
^^they may have inspected it. what yr is your car? they would probably flush the brake fluid only if the car was around 3 yrs old (which is the service interval). at most they may have topped off the brake fluid doing the brake job for CPO. all depends on the dealer.

when you take the car in for service to the dealer you need to ask what is included with THEIR "B" service. apparently there is some variability in what is actually included. my OM does not include any type of brake type service (lubricating etc) for a B service aside from inspecting pad life and/or rotor life. IIRC.
Have you asked your dealer-The World's Largest Acura Dealer- If they do more than Just inspect the brakes. My dealer does more.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:15 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

it's been a while since i've needed a B service lately....i'll probably inquire the next time i'm there. the MDX will be due for a B service soon.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:12 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
A couple of notes about "brake service".

Don't forget to change/bleed the brake fluid. I'd say every couple of years. In the long run, it is THE most important thing. As the brake fluid goes cold-hot-cold-hot-cold etc it evaporates inside the system and it creates air. Bleeding the system and replacing the fluid is key.

Second, take care of your rear calipers and lubricate the pins. Tradition has it (LOL) rear brake calipers sieze, especially in Canadian weather conditions (too humid in the summer, too cold in the winter). Don't just use any lubricant but only what is clearly marked on the package for brakes.

Just my 2 cents + HST

PS. If you don't feel comfortable doing brake jobs yourself, take it to an Acura dealer to do it. Please, don't let any other service tech do brakes since they don't have access to the resources Honda/Acura techs have with regular updates for service bulletins, parts superseding other parts etc.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:00 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
it's been a while since i've needed a B service lately....i'll probably inquire the next time i'm there. the MDX will be due for a B service soon.
WOW- as anal as you are with your cars I would think you would know everything that has been done to your cars.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:28 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

yeah i know huh? i have the dealer's little pamphlet for the MID service codes (it's no different than the OM, IIRC). though they put in the 3750 mi or MID for oil changes (). anyone who has read their OM knows it's the MID or 1 yr. this was a recent thing with them. i think they are trying to get butts through the door. the knowledgeable owner will know better. sneaky, yes. even shameful.

my dealer guys do take care of me. so....i really can't complain.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:45 AM
it's a car-drive it

The dealer I use in NC used to have 3,750 miles for oil changes but changed it to 5,000 miles. The dealer in Pa has 15%. I went to a honda dealer near my moms for this past oil change and tire rotation they put a 15% on the sticker. I was surprised I got the service free.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:50 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

i still have the 15% sticker in my TL (not that i need a reminder)....they put one of their updated 3750 stickers with the mileage print out on it in the MDX...i took that thing out as soon as i got back in the car.

it's been interesting with the intervals in both cars. similar commutes and uses...TL=~4k mi interval, MDX=~5500 mi interval.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:09 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just did my pads and rotors (akebono pads and wearever rotors from aap for convience sake) and I can tell you even using silglyde that this service would help with some very minimal sounds the brakes make. They have a very low tolerance for play and after just one oil cycle (unsure of actual miles as I just use the oil life indicator somewhere in the 6k range) I can hear the pad rub lightly when steering close to full lock in a parking lot. I assume this process would help with sounds like this and lead to more even wear.

Originally Posted by indymeh
^^^^ I also worked for a very large Honda dealer in Indiana for around 5 yrs and we did this as part of a B service also. My is that it helped with noise's/squeak's and comeback's, etc.

I think it varies by dealer, some do it and some don't. I never saw it in the OM but it was in the service guides our dealership used. My theory was if you are going to inspect the pads why not just service the whole system while you are there.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:29 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts
My understanding of A and B is that A only requires the oil to be changed. B requires both oil and filter to be changed.