Oil Smelling Like Gas (o_0)

Old 07-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Smelling Like Gas (o_0)

So today I noticed that every time I would back into my garage, I would smell gas. So I pulled out and walked around the car and it seemed to be coming from the exhaust. So I check the oil and the dipstick smells like gas.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well if your running rich, the cats would burn up the extra gas....hum. do you have cats?
Old 07-07-2011, 05:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rkan121
well if your running rich, the cats would burn up the extra gas....hum. do you have cats?
yes i do..
Old 07-07-2011, 07:21 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
At your next oil change send a sample out to Blackstone labs for an analysis and they can tell you what is going on with your oil.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
If you do a lot of city driving or short distance driving your oil can tend to smell like unleaded gas. Cars need a nice long drive once in a while (the more the better) to warm up the oil to operating temps and burn off the moisture and gas.

This could also mean your CAT's are not getting up to temp to burn off the unburnt fuel.

Take her for a nice long drive on the freeway every weekend if your mon - fri drive mostly consists of short distance or city driving.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mau108
If you do a lot of city driving or short distance driving your oil can tend to smell like unleaded gas. Cars need a nice long drive once in a while (the more the better) to warm up the oil to operating temps and burn off the moisture and gas.

This could also mean your CAT's are not getting up to temp to burn off the unburnt fuel.

Take her for a nice long drive on the freeway every weekend if your mon - fri drive mostly consists of short distance or city driving.
I recently back home twice the passed 2 weeks.. thats 250miles x 4.. How do you determine if the cats are the issue?
Old 07-07-2011, 10:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by sk8board{Pete}
I recently back home twice the passed 2 weeks.. thats 250miles x 4.. How do you determine if the cats are the issue?
Cats can't be the issue...

If it were running rich enough to get a bunch of unburned fuel past the rings and into the oil you should notice a lack of power, black smoke, bad mpg, etc.

Make sure the PCV valve is not plugged and the breather that goes into the air inlet tube between the filter and throttlebody.

If there is nothing obvious wrong, pull the spark plugs and see if they're black. If you find only one black, you probably have a bad injector. If they're all black or an entire bank is black, it could be an 02 issue or ECU issue.

I would change the oil right away, fuel in the oil will cause a ton of wear in a short time. Send the sample off to Blackstone labs to see just how much fuel is in the oil.

Misfires are another cause but the ECU usually flashes a check engine light quickly if a misfire is detected.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:37 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
but yes OP, something does not seem quite right, with how the engine is running (and ok sometimes the exhaust can smell, a bit gas like especially if the cats have not light off yet, but with the oil smelling also, something may not be right)

ANY sort of lights on on the dash, or maybe stored codes in the ecu?

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Cats can't be the issue...

If it were running rich enough to get a bunch of unburned fuel past the rings and into the oil you should notice a lack of power, black smoke, bad mpg, etc.

Make sure the PCV valve is not plugged and the breather that goes into the air inlet tube between the filter and throttlebody.

If there is nothing obvious wrong, pull the spark plugs and see if they're black. If you find only one black, you probably have a bad injector. If they're all black or an entire bank is black, it could be an 02 issue or ECU issue.

I would change the oil right away, fuel in the oil will cause a ton of wear in a short time. Send the sample off to Blackstone labs to see just how much fuel is in the oil.

Misfires are another cause but the ECU usually flashes a check engine light quickly if a misfire is detected.
not always, it can still set misfire codes without flashing

flashing normally means internment danger to the cats getting damage (which is usally caused by a bad misfire), so the reason for the flashing to get your attention hopefully, and get the issue fixed
Old 07-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Team Owner

The point was if it misfires regularly enough to cause a fuel dilution problem, there's probably going to be a check engine light to go with it. That's why I said "usually" in the previous post.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:41 PM
Instructor

I changed the plugs today to ngk laser iridium and all the old ones was black. Also, The air flow tube was cracked some i'm replacing that tomorrow. The car does not smoke or anything like that, the mpg is consistent, no lack of power.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:55 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sk8board{Pete}
I changed the plugs today to ngk laser iridium and all the old ones was black. Also, The air flow tube was cracked some i'm replacing that tomorrow. The car does not smoke or anything like that, the mpg is consistent, no lack of power.
Did you change the oil too? This is the most important thing you can do. If the plugs were black, they will get fouled again until you find the problem. Time to get it scanned and look at short and long term fuel trims as a start.

If they are all black, fuel trims will tell you where to start looking. It's not likely the 02s on both banks are bad but it's possible. It could only be a couple things with all 6 being fouled. The AF calculation is off due to a bad sensor (MAP possibly) or there's a physical problem like too high of fuel pressure. The fuel trims will tell you if the ECU is trying to take fuel out or add additional fuel.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Did you change the oil too? This is the most important thing you can do. If the plugs were black, they will get fouled again until you find the problem. Time to get it scanned and look at short and long term fuel trims as a start.

If they are all black, fuel trims will tell you where to start looking. It's not likely the 02s on both banks are bad but it's possible. It could only be a couple things with all 6 being fouled. The AF calculation is off due to a bad sensor (MAP possibly) or there's a physical problem like too high of fuel pressure. The fuel trims will tell you if the ECU is trying to take fuel out or add additional fuel.
no i didnt change the oil yet.. i changed it about 700miles ago... i will change it probably on Tues
Old 07-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Instructor

... or whenever that free oil analysis kit comes in the mail
Old 07-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Team Owner

It's a bad idea to leave fuel diluted oil in there. Everything is wearing at an accelerated rate. Find a clean container with lid to take a sample in if needed.