BMW: 4-Series News

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 08:54 AM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
for a sports car over 100k, it'll likely be a P-car, and it'll be pretty from all angles .
Old 05-24-2022, 09:18 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/bmw/2022-...0_jahre_bmw_m/

Within the framework of spectacular events featuring sensational new model innovations and together with its worldwide community, BMW M GmbH is celebrating the first five decades of its existence during these weeks and months. On 24 May 1972, the partnership agreement for BMW Motorsport GmbH was signed. Exactly 50 years later to the day, the company now known as BMW M GmbH is presenting an exclusive collection of edition models as a current anniversary highlight.

With the BMW M 50 Jahre edition of the BMW M3 Sedan and the BMW M4 Coupe, M enthusiasts around the globe can express both their passion for racing and their awareness of tradition. Limited editions, exclusive design features and individually selectable equipment options ensure that each edition vehicle can become a unique car that reflects the personal style of its owner.

The BMW M 50 Jahre edition is based on the current generation of the most successful model series in the history of BMW M GmbH. Worldwide, the model designations BMW M3 and BMW M4 are synonymous with high performance in the premium mid-range segment. The edition models are powered by a straight six-cylinder engine with up to 375 kW/510 hp, M TwinPower Turbo technology and high-revving characteristics. Depending on the model variant, its power is transferred to the rear wheels via a 6-speed manual transmission or an 8-speed M Steptronic transmission with Drivelogic, or fully variably distributed to all four wheels using M xDrive technology.

The exclusive character of the edition models is the result of a market-specific configuration with unique design features and a strictly limited number of units in each case. In this way, fascinating rarities are created for the most important automotive markets around the world. For the exterior paintwork of the edition vehicles, style-defining colours from the history of BMW M GmbH are being reissued. These are complemented by M forged wheels in a similarly exclusive colour scheme and striking accents in the interior.

In Europe and other selected sales regions, BMW M GmbH is offering an exclusive edition of the BMW M4 Coupe to mark its anniversary. The two-door BMW M 50 Jahre edition comes in the exterior colours Carbon Black, Macao Blue, Brands Hatch Grey, Imola Red and San Marino Blue. Their expressive appearance is enhanced by 19-inch M forged wheels on the front axle and 20-inch wheels on the rear axle featuring a double-spoke design, which are being offered for the first time in the colours Orbit Grey Matt and Gold Bronze matt.

In addition, a similarly limited number of edition vehicles of the BMW M4 Coupe are being produced for the Chinese automotive market and available in the exterior paint finishes Fire Orange and Stratus Grey. This colour selection relates to the fact that the anniversary of BMW M GmbH is being celebrated in China in the Year of the Tiger. The M forged wheels on these vehicles are finished in matt Orbit Grey in conjunction with the Fire Orange body colour and in matt Gold Bronze in conjunction with the Stratus Grey exterior paint finish.

In the interior of all edition vehicles based on the BMW M4 Coupe, door sill panels bearing the lettering "Edition 50 Jahre BMW M", a metal plaque on the centre console with the lettering "M4 Edition 50 Jahre BMW M" and a corresponding imprint on the headrests of the standard M sports seats and the optional M carbon bucket seats for driver and front passenger hint at the anniversary.

Old 05-24-2022, 09:51 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,827 Likes on 3,849 Posts
Are they offering the higher powered engine with the manual for these cars?
Old 05-24-2022, 12:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
fify
I personally would still take the M5 CS, it is very likely to be my only car, probably have to sleep in it too if i get 1.
Cant do that in a P car.
Old 05-24-2022, 12:54 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Are they offering the higher powered engine with the manual for these cars?

From my understanding one is RWD and 1 is AWD. No manual for both.

Just get the non-comp M3 with 6mt, a tune would solve everything.
The following users liked this post:
Slpr04UA6 (05-26-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 01:46 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
From my understanding one is RWD and 1 is AWD. No manual for both.

Just get the non-comp M3 with 6mt, a tune would solve everything.
There's no reason for me to get a M3 at this point. My other M3 (Model 3) is fast AF and does everything I need it to already. If I was going to get a fun, fast, manual car I'd be looking at a GT350 or something along those lines. If I needed another do it all car that wasn't an EV I'd definitely be doing what you said but that's pretty unlikely given the inbound Rivian which will be just as fast as a M3 and also a pickup truck lol.

At the end of the day, I'm probably going to off load the Jeep soon and replace it with a Mustang or similar in the fall. Then I'll off load the Tesla next year and replace it with the Rivian. Lots of changes coming soon! Unfortunately (maybe?) we bought a house so I can't do anything other than selling cars before we close on that in late summer.
Slpr04UA6 (05-26-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 01:58 PM
Team Owner

Buying a GT350 in today's market is unthinkable to me
Old 05-24-2022, 02:32 PM

Unthinkable, until you get that flat-plane V8 spun up near the redline
Old 05-24-2022, 03:40 PM
Ex-OEM King

Buying a GT350 in today's market is unthinkable to me
They're starting to come back to earth. A few months ago you couldn't even think of getting one for less than $55k, now there are examples into the mid 40's for the MY16 cars. Like I said, I'm not going to be buying anything until the fall at the earliest just because of the house situation. Can't spend a big chunk on a car as that would impact the mortgage thing even if it was a cash transaction.
Old 05-24-2022, 03:52 PM
Team Owner

Oh those are more reasonable... i just saw some 2020 ones for over $90k

Yah i am planning to buy a house too... but i am just waiting and waiting cuz this shit (housing marketing in LA) is too ridiculous right now even by LA standard.
Old 05-24-2022, 07:09 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Good move. Cuz RDX will make you crazy in the head as demonstrated here on AZ. Shit fucks with your head.
Wait lol what's the story on this? I haven't been on AZ for several months so kinda out of the loop.

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Yeah man, I agree. The EV life is a lot cheaper lol. Our cost for electricity is about the same as yours and it has been awesome to not pay a buttload for gas.
Yea, especially with our recent spike in fuel price. It was about $1.7/L back in January and that was already very pricey. Nowadays we are looking at $2.3/L, a 35% jump. Premium is easily $2.5/L if not more and I'd be paying $150 at every fill up for the RDX.

And that instant throttle response is just perfect for daily driving.
Old 05-25-2022, 01:53 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by iforyou
Wait lol what's the story on this? I haven't been on AZ for several months so kinda out of the loop.

Nothing recent. But some of the "famous" past and current members all happen to own RDX.... especially RDX Elite
Old 05-25-2022, 08:05 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
Wait lol what's the story on this? I haven't been on AZ for several months so kinda out of the…..
One of them would be me. Just trying to make the forum more lively.
Unfortunately tested positive for COVID just now and would be out of commission for some time. Little energy at present.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:43 PM

Received 5,883 Likes on 2,899 Posts
[ttribe checks the latest pics in the thread] Yep, it's still ugly. [ttribe leaves thread]
Joneill44 (05-25-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 09:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
M4 GT4 revealed by BMW: https://acurazine.com/forums/motorsp.../#post16825320
Old 09-30-2022, 08:11 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/bmw/2023-m4_csl_uk-version/

As its 50th birthday celebrations gathered pace, BMW M GmbH unveiled a new BMW M4 CSL, fusing old-school racing passion with innovative technology to create the ultimate performance experience. Its character is defined by a power hike of 40hp over the current BMW M4 Competition Coupé to 550hp and a host of meticulous weight-saving measures.

With years of experience in working with carbon-fibre-reinforced plastic (CFRP) for body, chassis and interior components, BMW M engineers have managed to restrict the special edition's kerb weight to 1,625kg (in standard specification in the German market). As a result, the new BMW M4 CSL is 100kg lighter than the BMW M4 Competition Coupé (in standard specification in the German market), sprinting from 0 to 62mph in 3.7 seconds, and 124mph in just 10.7 seconds - 1.8 seconds quicker than the BMW M4 Competition Coupé. Top speed is an electronically limited 190mph.

The new BMW M4 CSL has track driving as its raison d'être, its two-seater configuration and chassis set-up sharing the genes of its competition-spec sibling, the BMW M4 GT3. In tests on the Nürburgring's Nordschleife circuit, it posted a lap time of 7:15.677 on the 12.8-mile track, with an official notarised time for the 12.943-mile circuit (the complete lap) of 7:20.207 - the best figures ever for a series-produced BMW car. Lap times aside, the new BMW M4 CSL allows drivers to enjoy an intense racing-car feeling on the road as well as on the track.

Production began at BMW Group Plant Dingolfing in July 2022 and is strictly limited to 1,000 units globally, with only 100 models allocated to the UK, priced from £128,820 OTR.

Fundamental and detailed: intelligent lightweight design in the BMW M4 CSL

Lightweight design has played a central role at BMW M GmbH from day one. In 1973 the BMW 3.0 CSL won the European Touring Car Championship at the first attempt. Today, the CSL designation stands for "Competition, Sport, Lightweight" and marks out high-performance models with particularly high output, rigorously reduced weight and a character honed purposefully for driving on the track.

Conventional components for the exterior, interior, powertrain and chassis were replaced with lightweight model-specific alternatives. M Carbon full bucket seats reduced weight by 24kg, while 21kg was saved by removing the rear seats and belts. Chassis changes such as the use of lightweight M Carbon ceramic brakes and special light-alloy wheels, springs and struts saved 21kg. Switching to ultra-lightweight sound insulation saved around 15kg. The use of CFRP in the body deducts 11kg, a titanium rear silencer cuts more than 4kg, and a further 4kg was saved from the BMW kidney grille, rear lights, floor mats and climate control.

Roof, bonnet and boot lid in carbon-fibre

The BMW M4 Competition Coupé already features a roof made from CFRP, cutting weight and lowering its centre of gravity, which in turn enhances agility. The body of the BMW M4 CSL also includes the use of carbon-fibre for the bonnet and boot lid.

The CFRP bonnet is approximately 1.2kg lighter than the BMW M4 Competition Coupé's aluminium item. Its carbon-fibre structure is revealed by two unpainted, red-outlined indents extending in line with the BMW kidney grille to the edge of the bonnet. Red accent lines also emphasise the two fins on the CFRP roof and the contours of the extended side sills.

The Frozen Brooklyn Grey metallic exterior paint finish is exclusive to the BMW M4 CSL, with Alpine White and Sapphire Black also available. Classic "BMW Motorsport" emblems for the bonnet, boot lid and wheel centres are also available, recalling the 1973 originals.

Also in CFRP are the splitters fitted to the lower edge of the front apron to generate additional downforce and the inserts in the air curtains. The splitters have red accents and "CSL" lettering. The bespoke BMW kidney grille has a stripped-back design and features red contour lines and "M4 CSL" badging, with the central air inlet subdivided by just two horizontal grille bars, saving 0.5kg.

The CFRP boot lid of the BMW M4 CSL provides a 6.7kg weight saving over the BMW M4 Competition Coupé, its carbon-fibre structure visible inside through the unpainted clearcoat. The boot lid sports a pronounced spoiler, referencing a similar feature of the 2003 BMW M3 CSL. The diffuser integrated into the rear apron and the exterior mirror caps are also made from CFRP.

BMW Laserlight: yellow headlights and innovative rear lights fitted as standard

Both in the welcome effect triggered when unlocking the doors and when the low and high beam are switched on, the BMW Laserlight headlights illuminate in yellow rather than white, bringing to mind the look of successful GT racing cars.

The rear lights of the new BMW M4 CSL use an innovative technology making its debut in a series-produced car. All light functions use LED units, while the covers have intricate light threads woven into them, illuminated using laser technology. The threads run parallel to one another before crossing over at the outer edges to create a stunning interpretation of the hallmark BMW L-shaped rear light contour. Illuminated "BMW Laser" lettering on the light covers hints at the innovative technology below the surface.

The model badges on the rear, front side panels and BMW kidney grille also have a new design, with black surfaces and red outline.

Strut brace in the engine compartment, titanium rear silencer

In the engine compartment, an intricate cast aluminium strut brace takes the body rigidity of the new BMW M4 CSL to another level, with agility and steering precision optimised to maximum effect while minimising material use and weight.

The new BMW M4 CSL's rear silencer is made from titanium, cutting weight of a conventional steel equivalent by 4.3kg. The twin tailpipes have matt black trim with a stripe-patterned perforation on its inner surface. The model-specific exhaust system comes with electronically controlled flaps, generating an intense racing aura both outside and inside the car. Gear changes are accompanied by precisely defined engine speed overshoot, while distinctive, low-frequency sound sequences can be heard on the overrun. The M Sound Control button on the centre console lets the driver switch to a more restrained soundtrack when needed.

Model-specific light-alloy wheels and M Carbon ceramic brakes as standard

The forged cross-spoke M light-alloy wheels have been designed exclusively for the new BMW M4 CSL, and are fitted with track-focused 275/35 ZR19 tyres at the front and 285/30 ZR20 at the rear. Alternative, more road-focused tyres are available as a no-cost option.

The new BMW M4 CSL is fitted as standard with M Carbon ceramic brakes that are around 14.3kg lighter than the brakes on the BMW M4 Competition Coupé. Their red-painted callipers team up with 400mm x 38mm discs at the front and 380mm x 28mm discs at the rear. Two pedal feel settings can be selected from the M Setup menu.

Two very special seats

The lightweight coupé only has seats for the driver and front passenger, but these are no ordinary seats. The M Carbon racing bucket seats were developed exclusively for the BMW M4 CSL with the focus firmly on track driving. Their carbon-fibre structure and deliberate lack of comfort features such as heating and lumbar adjustment allowed weight to be reduced by 24kg. Their pronounced contours offer an extremely high level of lateral support and an integrated side airbag, while cut-outs enable the use of a six-point harness. The seats have a fixed backrest angle, while the seat height can only be adjusted in a workshop using a three-stage screw linkage. The forward/back adjustments can be made manually using a lever on the front edge of the seat. The head restraints can be disassembled for track use to avoid interfering with a helmet.

Trimmed in black leather with red Alcantara inserts for the outer backrest surfaces and head restraints, contrast stitching in the colours of BMW M GmbH adorn both the seat bolsters and the seat belts.

M Carbon bucket seats with enhanced comfort are available as an alternative option, and are still 9.6kg lighter than the seats in the BMW M4 Competition Coupé. These optional seats combine racing functionality and lightweight design with a higher level of comfort, with electrically operated adjustment, seat heating and an Easy-Entry function allowing easy access to the rear, where a stowage area behind the seats provides space for two helmets. Removing the rear seat cuts weight by around 21kg.

Old 12-05-2022, 09:17 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/bmw/2023-3.0_csl/

The BMW 3.0 CSL combines a unique design with a puristic performance experience in two seats. It conveys to the present day in an extremely focused manner the concept created in the 1970s of applying racetrack technology designed for sheer driving pleasure on the road.

The BMW 3.0 CSL was developed with the intention of combining the best of five decades of racing expertise from BMW M GmbH in an automobile with a highly emotional aura. All facets of its character - dynamic exterior elegance, a classic sportscar cockpit, intelligent lightweight construction, a straight six-cylinder engine, manual transmission and rear-wheel drive - are based on traditional principles of a BMW M automobile. They complement each other with the help of the latest technology to create the ultimate symbol of fascination for top performance in the style of the brand that has been successful for 50 years. A ride in a BMW 3.0 CSL is therefore not only an exclusive high-performance experience, but also an emotional encounter with the history and the present of the world's most powerful letter.

The BMW 3.0 CSL as a limited production run incorporating elaborate craftsmanship

The BMW 3.0 CSL is produced in a strictly limited edition. To mark the anniversary, exactly 50 consecutively numbered units of the special model will go on sale. Right from the start, this gives the BMW 3.0 CSL the status of a rarity that will find its place in the vehicle collections of particularly loyal and enthusiastic fans of the BMW M brand.

The production of all vehicles will take around three months. Each and every one of them is created with absolute dedication to excellence in craftsmanship and precisely coordinated technologies in an elaborate manufacturing process at the external location of the BMW Group Dingolfing plant in Moosthenning, Lower Bavaria. The exclusive interior carbon fibre reinforced plastic (CFRP) components are produced by hand both in Munich and at the BMW Group component factory in Landshut by specially assigned bodywork specialists.

A specific process was also conceived for the paintwork of the BMW 3.0 CSL, in which craftsmanship and state-of-the-art technology complement each other to provide each individual part with its characteristic colour design. In addition, a team of 30 specially qualified and experienced technicians is responsible for the configuration and assembly of the vehicles. Due to the complexity of the processes in the manufactory, each BMW 3.0 CSL passes through eight assembly cycles at just as many production stations, a procedure that takes up to 10 days in all.

All in all, the extremely high proportion of individual manual work means that the time required to assemble a BMW 3.0 CSL is many times higher than that of a conventional BMW M automobile. After completion in the manufactory, each vehicle also undergoes a multi-stage quality inspection and approval process at the main Dingolfing plant before it is released for delivery to the customer. The BMW Group Plant Dingolfing is the company's largest European production site. In addition to several BMW M automobiles, the luxury sedans of the BMW 7 Series and body components for Rolls-Royce Motor Cars are produced there.

The successful touring car - a role model in its time

As the reincarnation of a legendary sports car both for the racetrack and the road, the BMW 3.0 CSL possesses all the characteristics of a puristic car. It embodies the joy of classic driving and an awareness of the traditional roots of BMW M GmbH in a uniquely exclusive form. Its eponymous role model is considered the first automobile to carry the DNA for maximum driving pleasure and passion, an unmistakeable feature of BMW M automobiles to this very day. In the founding year of BMW Motorsport GmbH, it was developed for use in touring car competitions, where it became the most successful racing car of its era.

The racing version of the historic BMW 3.0 CSL won the European Touring Car Championship during its inaugural season in 1973 - and repeated this title win five more times in succession from 1975 to 1979. Drivers such as Toine Hezemans, Hans-Joachim Stuck, Chris Amon and Niki Lauda left the competition behind at the Nürburgring and numerous other circuits, followed by BMW's first victories on US circuits as early as 1975. All these successes helped the works racing cars to gain international popularity.

"Coupe, Sport, Lightweight construction": New interpretation of a legendary formula

The road version of the racing car, which was developed for homologation purposes, became a widely known symbol of inspiring driving pleasure focused on the essentials, especially in its final stage of development. CSL - this combination of letters in the model designation stood for "Coupé, Sport, Leichtbau" (Coupe, Sport, Lightweight), a concise summary of the two-door car's recipe for success.

In addition to wide wheel arches, its coupe-shaped body also received an eye-catching aerodynamics package, which included a front spoiler, air bars on the front side panels and a roof spoiler. Completing the design modifications vs. the other coupes in BMW large series was a rear wing that optimised the grip of the rear wheels. It was not approved for road use and therefore lay in the boot when the vehicle was delivered, but nevertheless received much public attention so that the Coupe was given the nickname "Batmobile".

With an increased displacement of 3,153 cubic centimetres and a maximum output of 151 kW/206 hp, the most powerful straight six-cylinder engine with direct injection ever used in a BMW model ensured sporty power delivery. The powerful drive system was combined with refined suspension technology. Its unladen weight was just 1,270 kilograms.

The reduced weight was achieved through comprehensive lightweight construction. The doors were made of aluminium, as were the bonnet and the boot lid, which were supported on filigree retaining rods after opening. Numerous other body components such as the roof, side panels and luggage compartment partition were made of particularly thin sheet metal, and the chrome bumpers were replaced by plastic skirting. Lightweight bucket seats and the omission of insulation material, power steering and electric windows ensured optimal weight reduction. An overall power-to-weight ratio of 6.2 kilograms per horsepower was thus achieved.

The new BMW 3.0 CSL is the contemporary reinterpretation of all these features anchored in its model designation. Its coupe-shaped body sets traditional accents for sporty elegance and expressive dynamics. Its drive and suspension technology stems from the latest developments for racing cars and high-performance sports cars from BMW M GmbH. And the intelligent lightweight construction reaches an outstanding level, above all through the extensive use of carbon. The power-to-weight ratio of the BMW 3.0 CSL is a mere 2.9 kilograms per hp.

As an independent model from BMW M GmbH and despite the limited number of units, the BMW 3.0 CSL has undergone a complete series development process. In addition to the extensive quality and function tests and the driving dynamics tuning test drives under a wide range of conditions from city traffic to country roads and motorways to the race track, the BMW 3.0 CSL has also undergone comprehensive aerodynamic testing. Around 200 working hours were spent on optimising the airflow and aerodynamic balance of the vehicle, including 50 hours in the wind tunnel of the BMW Group's Aerodynamic Test Centre. In addition, two pre-production vehicles of the BMW 3.0 CSL had to undergo a safety test in the form of a frontal and a side crash test in order to meet road legal requirements.

Unique, M-typical design, geared to the technical demands of fascinating performance

With its classic coupe proportions and a traditional vehicle concept that combines a front engine and manual transmission with rear-wheel drive, the BMW 3.0 CSL follows in the footsteps of its historic ancestor. Distinctive air deflection elements, powerfully shaped wheel arches, a striking rear spoiler and numerous other details are unmistakably based on the design of the legendary coupe from the 1970s.

At the same time, its appearance is characterised by the principles that have always applied to BMW M automobiles: The specific exterior features are based on the technical requirements in terms of cooling air supply, aerodynamic balance and driving dynamics, which form the basis for highly fascinating performance. In this way, the BMW 3.0 CSL expresses timeless racing passion in an emotional and authentic way.

Powerful aesthetics pay tribute to the historical ancestor

Power and athleticism are signalised by the front end of the BMW 3.0 CSL, which sits low on the road. At its centre is the distinctive BMW kidney grille with a lattice-shaped insert in a diamond structure. Its upright position relates to the front design of its historic ancestor. Like the side window surrounds, the kidney frame is finished in satin aluminium - a design feature that emphasises the special status of the BMW 3.0 CSL. Together with the BMW kidney grille, two generously dimensioned recesses in the front apron, reminiscent of the air intakes on the 1970s model, ensure reliable cooling of the drive and brake systems even in extremely dynamic driving situations. Sculpturally shaped air fins on the bonnet accentuate the classic lines.

With their flat contours, the headlights create the characteristic focus on the road. The BMW Laser Light headlights shine in yellow, both during the welcome scenario after unlocking the doors and when the low and high beams are activated, thus making reference to successful GT racing cars. This detail is a subtle reference to the strong connection with motorsport and BMW M GmbH's currently most successful competition vehicle, the BMW M4 GT3, which won both the drivers' and team championships in the DTM in 2022 and whose power unit is based on the same straight-six engine as the power unit of the BMW 3.0 CSL. The BMW M4 GT3 achieved championship success right at the start of its racetrack career, much like the historic BMW 3.0 CSL, which once won the European Touring Car Championship in its inaugural season.

Viewed from the side, the long bonnet and wide wheelbase lend the BMW 3.0 CSL an appearance that is both sporty and classically elegant. The brand-typical coupe proportions in a three-box design also contribute to this. Particularly wide, diagonally offset side panels and wide side walls underline the dynamic appearance of the coupe even when stationary, with an air deflector extending along the roof line.

Wide wheel arches, central locking wheels produced exclusively for the BMW 3.0 CSL's tyres

Muscular wheel arches give indication of the large track widths that contribute significantly to the vehicle's high cornering dynamics. They offer space for the forged light-alloy wheels in a Y-spoke design, these being 20 inches on the front axle and 21 inches at the rear. With their filigree spokes, a gold-coloured paint finish in the style of the 1970s and a centre lock, they represent a highlight in terms of design and driving dynamics adapted directly from racing. The integration of the model-specific wheels into the pre-assembled axles of the BMW 3.0 CSL is part of the manufacturing process at the BMW Group's Dingolfing plant. At 930 Nm, the torque applied during the assembly of the centre locks achieves the highest value for a BMW Group production vehicle.

The forged light-alloy wheels are fitted with Michelin tyres developed exclusively for the BMW 3.0 CSL. They bear the number 50 embossed on the tyre sidewalls, providing another subtle reference to the anniversary of BMW M GmbH, on the occasion of which the special model was designed and built.

A tail wing in the style of the "Batmobile"

The rear view of the BMW 3.0 CSL is also characterised by powerful aesthetics and reinterpreted design features of its ancestor. The most striking feature is the rear wing, which is enclosed at the side and translates the characteristic appearance of the "Batmobile" into a modern design language. Designed to generate additional downforce and thus optimise traction on the rear axle, the air deflector encloses the entire rear section, thus becoming a dominant visual element. For the benefit of aerodynamic balance, it is combined with a strongly pronounced carbon diffuser in the rear apron, thereby optimising airflow in the underbody.

The four tailpipes of the exhaust system, which are arranged in an arrow shape in the centre of the rear apron and feature a particularly lightweight titanium rear silencer, also provide a striking accent. The rear lights of the BMW 3.0 CSL use innovative lighting technology to generate a fascinating, exclusive night design and a particularly vivid radiance. This is achieved by filigree laser light threads that appear to be free-floating inside the lights and create an expressive 3D effect through precise superimposition.

Elaborate paintwork in the style of classic racing cars

Right from the very beginning the 1970s, BMW Motorsport GmbH became imprinted in fans' memories not only thanks to spectacular racing successes, but also through an unmistakable appearance. Just like the competition cars, the drivers' outfits, the vehicle transporters and all other team equipment featured uniform stripes in blue, purple and red on a white background - a novelty at the time and a globally recognised trademark to this day. The BMW 3.0 CSL picks up on this tradition with a paint finish in Alpine white uni and an elaborately applied stripe decor in the BMW M GmbH colours. The lines on the body effectively reflect the dynamic surfaces, thus bringing to the fore the powerful aesthetics of the coupe even more clearly.

Both the base colour and the M stripes, known in technical jargon as livery, are applied largely by hand, involving an extremely high level of time and effort. A total of 22 individual parts are painted in a process specially designed for the BMW 3.0 CSL. Particular attention is paid to a highly precise arrangement of the areas of the body surfaces and livery stripes finished in visible carbon. In general, most of the exterior in Alpine white uni comprises carbon components, which are hand-painted by specialists. The high-tech material is only visible in the lettering on the roof and on the rear wing. For this purpose, these areas must be exposed during the painting process. In order to precisely position the livery stripes in the BMW M GmbH colours, the painters use masking by means of laser projection as well as customised contour films.

Each component with a livery paint finish has a throughput time of six working days. During this time, it completes up to eight paint processes, each with the necessary intermediate work steps such as sanding and masking the colour stripes. This results in a total of 134 paint processes for each vehicle, adding up to a total of 6,700 manual work sequences in the paint shop for the entire small series of the special model.

The number sequences on the doors and roof of the BMW 3.0 CSL, designed in the style of early racing cars, build a bridge from the past to the present. Their design in the style of racing numbers is based on the historical model of the first BMW M automobile developed for touring car racing, whilst the number 50 refers to the anniversary of BMW M GmbH. Another reminder of the 1970s are the two BMW logos positioned on the C-pillar, hence directly behind the counter-swing of the side window graphic known as the Hofmeister kink.

The most powerful straight six-cylinder power unit ever used in a road-legal BMW M automobile

The BMW 3.0 CSL features the most powerful straight six-cylinder engine ever used in a road-legal BMW M automobile. This is also a tradition: in its final stage of development, the predecessor of the same name marked a new record with an engine output of 151 kW/206 hp - not only for six-cylinder models, but for all BMW production vehicles produced up to that point.

Since then, the straight six-cylinder engine with M Power has undergone an impressive development. Engines of the same design mobilised an output of 204 kW/277 hp in the BMW M1 as early as 1978 and 250 kW/340 hp in the second-generation BMW M5 from 1991. The fifth-generation BMW M3 was launched in 2014 with a 317 kW/431 hp straight-six engine featuring M TwinPower Turbo technology.

The straight six-cylinder engine of the BMW 3.0 CSL possesses the same technological roots as the power unit of the current DTM winning car. The 3.0-litre power unit offers spontaneous high revving thanks to the typical M high-revving concept and comprises, among other things, an extremely rigid crankcase in a sleeveless closed-deck design, a forged lightweight crankshaft and a cylinder head core featuring 3D printing technology. The cooling system and oil supply are also designed for extremely dynamic driving situations. For its championship win in the DTM, the BMW M4 GT3 was powered by a version of the latest straight six-cylinder engine with around 600 hp which, in its version designed for large-scale production in the current models of the BMW M3/BMW M4 series, delivers up to 375 kW/510 hp.

The version of the drive system with M TwinPower Turbo technology, which was further developed exclusively for the BMW 3.0 CSL, mobilises a maximum output of 412 kW/560 hp. The new record for straight six-cylinder models from BMW M GmbH with road approval underpins the special status of the vehicle. Its engine develops a maximum torque of 550 Nm and fascinates with a linear power delivery up to a maximum speed of 7,200 min-1.

6-speed manual transmission and rear-wheel drive for particularly intense driving pleasure

To transfer the drive power to the road, the developers of the BMW 3.0 CSL used a concept that has been tried and tested for decades for maximum driving pleasure and intensive interaction between driver and vehicle. The straight six-cylinder engine is coupled with a 6-speed manual gearbox whose spread and transmission ratios are ideally matched to the performance characteristics. Precisely defined gear shift travel enables fast and precise gear changing. The gearshift knob made exclusively for the BMW 3.0 CSL protrudes from the centre console and is a luxurious accessory. It immediately arouses anticipation for the manual gearshift, lies snugly in the hand and, with its white surface, the engraved gearshift diagram and the number 50, is reminiscent of the beginnings of BMW M GmbH in the 1970s. A tribute to modern technology is the shift assistant, which uses a connection speed control to ensure slip-free clutch engagement after downshifting when braking for corners. It can be activated or deactivated by the driver.

In traditional manner, the drive torque is transmitted to the road exclusively via the rear wheels of the BMW 3.0 CSL. For ambitious use on the race track, the driver can use the typical M linear build-up of lateral acceleration forces to steer the vehicle through bends with controlled drift manoeuvres. The Active M Differential in the rear-axle transmission also ensures superior dynamics. If necessary, it prevents torque compensation between the rear wheels and, at the same time, continuously and variably builds up a locking effect of up to 100 percent. The Active M Differential is linked to the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) and precisely adjusts its locking effect to the respective driving situation. For example, traction is optimised on roads with different friction values for the right and left rear wheels. When accelerating dynamically out of bends, the driver receives noticeable feedback on the grip potential on the rear wheels and can thus optimally dose the use of the accelerator pedal.

Suspension technology tuned exclusively to each model, including M carbon-ceramic brake system and M Traction Control

In the configuration of the suspension technology as well, state-of-the-art technology has been combined with a methodology for the harmonisation of all components that has matured over five decades. The suspension components used in the BMW 3.0 CSL represent the spearhead of development for high-performance sports cars by BMW M GmbH: a double-joint spring strut front axle and a five-link rear axle in M-specific design, an Adaptive M suspension with electronically controlled shock absorbers, the electromechanical M Servotronic steering with variable ratio and the M carbon ceramic brake system with adjustable characteristic curves.

The integrated application of all drive and chassis systems took place during intensive test drives on public roads as well as on race tracks, including the Nürburgring Nordschleife, which has been the ultimate testing ground for all BMW M automobiles for 50 years. Prior to testing, engineers at BMW M GmbH had designed and optimised the digital image of the BMW 3.0 CSL in every detail in a computer-aided design and development process. By incorporating virtual reality and other digital processes, it was possible to accelerate the series development process to the maximum extent. This detailed simulation and tuning process took into account the model-specific dimensions, vehicle weight and axle load distribution, the extremely high rigidity of the body and suspension connections as well as the aerodynamic balance of the BMW 3.0 CSL to ensure from the onset that typical M combination of agility, dynamics and handling precision.

Powerful deceleration performance, optimised fading stability, outstanding thermal stability and extremely high wear resistance are offered by the M carbon ceramic brake system. It combines six-piston fixed-calliper brakes and ceramic brake discs measuring 400x38 millimetres on the front axle with single-piston fixed-calliper brakes and 380x28-millimetre ceramic brake discs at the rear and features red-painted brake callipers. The M-specific design of the integrated braking system allows two characteristic pedal-feel curves to be displayed, which can be selected in the M Setup menu.

With the M Traction Control function, the driver can individually set the intervention thresholds of the wheel slip limitation. Ten levels are available for this purpose, and complete deactivation of the driving stability control is also possible via the M Dynamic Mode. The BMW 3.0 CSL is thus perfectly prepared for experiencing puristic performance on the race track.

Intelligent lightweight construction with maximum use of carbon components

In the BMW 3.0 CSL, the tradition of intelligent lightweight construction, which has been cultivated since the 1970s, is reformulated and reshaped using state-of-the-art technology. To reduce weight in the body and chassis areas, carbon fibre reinforced plastic (CFRP) is used to an exceptionally high extent in addition to the minimal use of insulating material. BMW M GmbH is a pioneer in the use of CFRP in series-produced vehicles. As early as 2004, it equipped a large-series model with a carbon roof for the first time.

The BMW 3.0 CSL features CFRP components on virtually all bodywork sections. In addition to the roof, bonnet and boot lid, the front and rear aprons are made entirely of carbon. The front and rear side panel attachments, the side sills, the rear diffuser, the rear wing and rear spoiler are also made of the high-tech material. All carbon components are manufactured in small series, mostly by hand and exclusively for the BMW 3.0 CSL.

In addition, a targeted selection of materials and state-of-the-art design methods also lead to a significant reduction in the weight of other vehicle components. The roof spoiler of the BMW 3.0 CSL is made of glass fibre reinforced plastic. The titanium rear silencer of the BMW 3.0 CSL is around 4.3 kilograms lighter than a conventional steel component. The cast aluminium precision struts in the engine compartment, which connect the suspension strut domes to each other and to the front end, have a geometry that has been precisely matched to the forces acting in different driving situations. With the aid of numerical models agility and steering precision has been optimized with a minimum of material and weight.

Puristic sports car cockpit with M carbon full bucket seats

Also, in the interior of the BMW 3.0 CSL the use of carbon and other lightweight construction measures emphasise the puristic sports car characteristics. Instead of additional seats, the rear offers a storage compartment with two integrated helmet compartments. CFRP trim in the door panels and reduced acoustic insulation also contribute to the extremely sporty flair. The driver and front passenger sit in M Carbon full bucket seats, which convey a highly emotional and inimitable racing feeling every kilometre of the way. The diagonal connections between the seat surface and the backrest are reminiscent of the construction principle of the lightweight seats featured in the historic model. Seat height and inclination can be adjusted exclusively via a three-stage screw linkage in a workshop. The longitudinal position can be varied manually using a lever at the front edge of the seat. In addition, the M Carbon full bucket seats offer removable headrest inserts.

Over and above that, the interior of the BMW 3.0 CSL presents itself as a sports car cockpit that is puristic and exclusive. Black Alcantara seat surfaces and M seat belts are combined with an M Alcantara steering wheel, an anthracite roof liner, black Alcantara and matt carbon surfaces. Contrast stitching and other accents in white correspond with the exterior paintwork of the BMW 3.0 CSL, the model lettering of which is embossed into both the door sill trims and the seat surfaces. The white gearshift knob symbolises the classic form of interaction between driver and vehicle when changing gear. The red start/stop button and the likewise red M buttons on the steering wheel are available for activating the engine and for direct access to the vehicle's overall setup. The matt interior trims in a carbon fibre finish feature sequential numbering for each of the 50 units available. This marking, documented in the interior from #01/50 to #50/50, corresponds in each case to the final digits of the suspension number, thus representing a clearly visible and authentic reference to the individual vehicle identity.

Old 12-05-2022, 09:18 AM

The following 2 users liked this post by 00TL-P3.2:
godfather2 (12-07-2022), RPhilMan1 (12-05-2022)
Old 12-05-2022, 09:18 AM

This is the nose all 3/4 cars should have.
godfather2 (12-07-2022)
Old 02-01-2024, 10:35 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/bmw/2025-m440i_coupe/

When it comes to the premium segment of the midsize class, the number 4 stands for the perfect combination of driving pleasure and elegantly sporty design. These have been hallmark brand values of BMW since its earliest days, and the new BMW 4-Series Coupé and new BMW 4-Series Convertible embody them even more intently than ever. The precisely modified exterior design of the two models underscores their dynamic character and exclusive style. Modern touches and new equipment features bring a premium ambience of renewed sophistication to the interior. Here, the cutting-edge cockpit design, including the BMW Curved Display, provides the ideal stage for the latest evolution of BMW iDrive with QuickSelect, which is based on the new BMW Operating System 8.5.

New exterior paint finishes and light-alloy wheels, headlights with an extremely striking design for the light sources and the now optionally available Laserlight rear lights mark out the latest advances in the exterior of the two models. Step inside the sporting two-door models and the key new features of the cabin are immediately apparent: the revised design of the steering wheels and instrument panel, the seat coverings, the interior trim elements and the now optionally available CraftedClarity glass applications for selected controls. Alongside the introduction of the new BMW iDrive with QuickSelect as standard, customers can now also choose to add an Augmented View display for the BMW Maps navigation system as an option on their new BMW 4-Series.

Production of the new BMW 4-Series Coupé and new BMW 4-Series Convertible will remain at BMW Group Plant Dingolfing, which is also the birthplace of many other executive class and luxury segment cars from the brand, as well as the BMW 8-Series sports car and the high-performance BMW M4 models. Its worldwide market launch will get underway in March 2024.

Global segment leaders sharpen the sporting profile of the BMW brand

The evolution of the BMW 4-Series range is anchored in the product substance that has helped it achieve such outstanding popularity across all the major car markets. In a market dominated by German premium carmakers, the coupé and convertible enjoy clear leads in their respective segments both globally and in their key individual markets.

The most important sales markets for the new BMW 4-Series Coupé and new BMW 4-Series Convertible are the USA, Germany and China. Since the market launch of the current model generation of the BMW 4-Series Coupé, the US market has recorded the strongest demand. The BMW 4-Series Convertible has also been most popular in the USA to date.

This sales success has been accompanied by an extraordinarily high level of customer satisfaction. In customer surveys, both the BMW 4-Series Coupé and BMW 4-Series Convertible achieve excellent approval ratings. Customers placed particular emphasis on the dynamic driving characteristics and emotionally rich design of both models, as well as a premium feel characterised by high material and build quality. By attracting such positive responses from customers, the BMW 4-Series models have made a significant contribution to further enhancing the brand's profile as a maker of dynamically exceptional and elegantly sporty premium cars.

Distinct characters with a shared focus on driving pleasure

For the past two model generations, BMW has grouped its premium midsize coupés and convertibles into their own model range. This has highlighted their particularly intense focus on delivering the driving pleasure for which the brand is renowned. The differentiation between the new BMW 4-Series models and the BMW 3-Series in terms of design can be found not only in their proportions and lines, but also their distinctive front-end visuals. Wider tracks and specific tuning for their chassis technology lay the groundwork for superlative dynamic prowess. Within the BMW 4-Series range, the coupé and convertible models represent distinct characters whose individual vehicle concepts target different priorities.

The BMW 4-Series Coupé combines its dynamically flowing lines and elegantly stretched proportions with a body optimised for extra handling agility and boasting exceptional torsional rigidity, plus a chassis tuned squarely for dynamic excellence. The individual-seat character of the two rear seats helps to ensure that the passengers in the second row also enjoy an intense driving experience. The folding function of the three-section split rear seat bench increases the versatility of the interior when it comes to accommodating items for leisure activities and longer trips away.

Meanwhile, passengers in the BMW 4-Series Convertible's four seats can sample the sporty driving experience characteristic of the 4-Series together with the joy of open-top motoring. A particularly stylish sense of elegance, for which the car's low-slung silhouette is principally responsible, also comes as standard. A highlight feature specific to the BMW 4-Series Convertible is its panel bow soft-top roof, which combines the solidity of a retractable hardtop with the classical aesthetic of a fabric hood. The roof's electric drive mechanism can be activated while travelling at up to 50 km/h (31 mph); the opening/closing process takes 18 seconds.

Exterior design - Striking visual cues point the way to captivating dynamics

Sporting potency and elegance are the key themes reflected with authenticity in the design of the BMW 4-Series models. Precise modifications to their exterior visuals enable the new BMW 4-Series Coupé and new BMW 4-Series Convertible to express their unique characters even more clearly. The new features sharpen the profile of the two models and provide eye-catching pointers to their captivating dynamics, exclusivity and technological advances.

With their distinctive lines and clean surface treatment in the brand's modern design language, the coupé and convertible members of the BMW 4-Series line-up exude driving pleasure and inimitable style. The features of the optional M Sport package add further punch to the cars' dynamic appearance. They include a diffuser element in the lower section of the rear bumper, which is now painted in Black high-gloss. In addition, the exhaust tailpipes integrated into the rear apron on the left and right have grown from 90 millimetres to 100 millimetres in diameter. As an extension to the M Sport package, customers can also order their cars with the M Sport package Pro and M Carbon exterior package.

Newly designed headlights, innovative Laserlight rear lights

Design cues specific to the BMW 4-Series include the visually powerful front end shaped by slim LED headlights and a vertically arranged BMW kidney grille. The air intakes of the strikingly forward-angled grille have a mesh structure, both in standard form and if the M Sport package is specified. Their surround now comes in matt chrome.

The new BMW 4-Series Coupé and new BMW 4-Series Convertible also feature visually and functionally upgraded headlights. The LED units in their inner workings, which provide all the light functions, have been redesigned and have a new structure. Low and high beam are generated from a single LED module. And a pair of vertical and subtly arrow-shaped LED units house the side light, daytime driving light and turn signal indicator functions. The technically focused look of the new light sources gives the headlights a high-quality and progressive appearance.

Adaptive LED Headlights with non-dazzling matrix high beam are available as an option. They can be identified by blue inlays and include urban lights and a cornering light function. The prism structure of the LED units for the urban lights provides a striking contrast against the uniform illumination of the daytime driving light units.

Also offered as part of the M Sport package Pro and if the Adaptive LED Headlights are specified are M Shadowline lights with dark inner accents. If the optional Comfort Access is fitted, the headlights generate a Welcome Light Animation once the driver and vehicle key come within three metres of the car.

Examples of the new BMW 4-Series Coupé and new BMW 4-Series Convertible specified with Adaptive LED Headlights are also fitted with super-expressive Laserlight rear lights. This model-specific version of an innovative lighting effect employs a technology first seen in the BMW M4 CSL high-performance special edition produced in a limited run of 1,000 examples. Here, laser diodes each illuminate a fibre optic bundle, giving the rear units an intricate light graphic. The precise lines of the three-dimensional Laserlight gives these rear lights - which are making their debut in a volume-produced car - an exclusive and unmistakable design.

New exterior paint shades and light-alloy wheels

Customers can give the outside of their new BMW 4-Series Coupé and new BMW 4-Series Convertible a personal touch with a choice of two solid and eight metallic paint finishes. Cape York Green metallic and Fire Red metallic are new additions to the range. And a wide variety of BMW Individual paint finishes and BMW Individual special paint finishes are also offered.

Attractive new additions can also be found in the selection of optional light-alloy wheels. The new BMW 4-Series Coupé and new BMW 4-Series Convertible are both offered for the first time with three new 19-inch variants. The new M light-alloy wheels in double-spoke design can be ordered in either Jet Black or a bi-colour finish. And the new BMW Individual light-alloy wheels also have a Y-spoke design and are finished in Midnight Grey.

Interior and equipment - Progressive style and an aura of carefully honed refinement

Standard-fitted sport seats and newly designed steering wheels feed into the intensity of the driving experience in the new BMW 4-Series Coupé and new BMW 4-Series Convertible. The large BMW Curved Display brings a fresh and particularly modern interpretation of the driver focus for which the brand is renowned. High-quality, meticulously crafted materials and a new operating concept for ventilation and climate control systems add to the cockpit's premium allure. The modifications carried out to the interior of the new BMW 4-Series Coupé and new BMW 4-Series Convertible ensure those on board can enjoy driving pleasure with progressive style and long-distance comfort in an ambience of carefully honed refinement.

Among the cutting-edge new features is a version of the optionally available seat surfaces that is making its debut in the new BMW 4-Series Coupé and is produced using more sustainable methods. Added to which, new interior trim strips are available for both the coupé and convertible. And standard specification now also includes ambient lighting and electrically folding exterior mirrors. The range of optional equipment has been restructured to enable particularly targeted individualisation.

Premiere for M Performtex seat covers in the new BMW 4-Series Coupé

The standard-fit sport seats combine with interior surfaces in Sensatec perforated. The Vernasca leather trim with decorative quilting available as an option for the new BMW 4-Series Coupé and for the new BMW 4-Series Convertible is now also offered in the new bi-colour variant Black/Red. And both models can also be specified with BMW Individual Merino leather trim in three colours.

When ordered with the M Sport package or in M Performance form, the new BMW 4-Series Coupé comes with seat surfaces in black M Performtex. Making its debut in a BMW model, this velours covering combines high material quality and a sporty design with low weight and a sustainability-optimised production method.

Powertrain and driving experience - Powerful, efficient and supremely assured

The line-up of powertrains for the new BMW 4-Series range comprises powerful and highly efficient petrol and diesel engines featuring BMW TwinPower Turbo technology and electrification in the form of 48V mild hybrid technology. All the drive units deliver an exceptional blend of sporting driving pleasure and fuel economy, all are part of the current modular generation of Efficient Dynamics engines and all are mated to an eight-speed Steptronic Sport transmission as standard. The shift paddles on the steering wheel, which also come as standard in the new BMW 4-Series Coupé and new BMW 4-Series Convertible, allow quick manual interventions in the gear selection process, adding to the dynamic driving experience.

Straight-six engines can be found under the bonnet of the M Performance versions in both model series, as well as in the new BMW 430d xDrive Coupé and BMW 430d Convertible, whose diesel unit has an output of 210 kW/286 hp. The line-up also includes two four-cylinder petrol engines developing 135 kW/184 hp and 180 kW/245 hp respectively and a 140 kW/190 hp four-cylinder diesel. The engine's power is fed to the road via either classical rear-wheel drive or the BMW xDrive intelligent all-wheel-drive system, depending on the model variant.

Mild hybrid technology optimises power delivery and efficiency

All the six-cylinder in-line engines available for the new BMW 4-Series Coupé and new BMW 4-Series Convertible, as well as the four-cylinder diesel unit, come with 48V mild hybrid technology for sharper power delivery and greater efficiency. The auxiliary electric drive takes the form of a 48V starter generator and makes output of 8 kW/11 hp instantly available in response to the slightest movement of the accelerator. This electric boost enhances the drive system's dynamic response when accelerating off the line and putting in mid-range bursts of speed. The electric drive unit also assists the engine when travelling at a constant speed, allowing it to operate within an efficiency-optimised load range as often as possible.

The mild hybrid system additionally allows the use of electric power recuperated via Brake Energy Regeneration and stored in a 48V battery. The energy harvested efficiently in this way is not only used for the auxiliary electric drive, but also fed to the 12V electrical system with the help of a voltage transformer. This allows the vehicle's electrical consumers to be operated even more efficiently.

Bespoke chassis technology for a sporty driving experience

Excellent body rigidity, intelligent lightweight design, 50 : 50 weight distribution and optimised aerodynamic properties provide an ideal basis for endowing the new BMW 4-Series Coupé and new BMW 4-Series Convertible with remarkably agile and dynamic handling abilities. This is further helped by sophisticated chassis technology that has been tuned precisely for the weight spread at hand.

Lift-related dampers refine the balance between captivating sporting prowess and superb long-distance comfort. Various options are available for customising the car's character, including M Sport suspension, adaptive M suspension with variable sport steering, and M Sport brakes.
M440i

4-Series Convertible

Old 02-01-2024, 10:39 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/bmw/2025-m4_coupe/

More power, sharpened design features, new customisation options and digital innovations: With consistent advancements in the areas related to an exclusive performance experience, BMW M GmbH continues the success story of their bestsellers in the premium midsize segment. The new BMW M4 Coupé and the new BMW M4 Convertible now both highlight even more intensively the motorsport genes of these high-performance models. A 15 kW/20 hp increase in maximum power output for the models BMW M4 Competition Coupé with M xDrive and BMW M4 Competition Convertible with M xDrive, new headlights, laser taillights, M forged light-alloy wheels featuring a new design, steering wheels and interior trims as well as the BMW Operating System 8.5 mark the highlights of further development.

The straight six-cylinder engine featuring M TwinPower Turbo Technology will in future be available in three performance levels. Still unparalleled in the competitive environment is the combination of the 353 kW/480 hp variant of the power unit with a 6-speed manual transmission in the new BMW M4 Coupé. The power plant in the new BMW M4 Competition Coupé delivers a maximum power output of 375 kW/510 hp, transferring power to the road via an 8-speed M Steptronic transmission with Drivelogic. In combination with M xDrive featured in the four-wheel drive variants of both the Coupé and Convertible, this transmission guarantees extremely superior transformation of power output - now increased to 390 kW/530 hp - into exhilarating driving dynamics.

Thanks to the current modifications, the high-performance automobiles of the premium midsize segment all have the ideal prerequisites for the continuation of their popularity on international automobile markets, whilst strengthening their leading position within the segment. The USA has become the major sales market for the BMW M4 Coupé, followed by China, Germany and the UK. In the USA, the BMW M4 Convertible accounts by far for the highest sales figures. Moreover, the open-top four-seater enjoys great popularity in Germany and the UK. Both globally and in each of their relevant markets, models of the BMW M4 Series occupy by a clear margin the position as market leaders in each of their respective competitive environments.

The new editions of the BMW M4 Coupé and the BMW M4 Convertible are produced at the BMW Group Dingolfing plant. The worldwide market launch of the new models will begin with the commencement of production in March 2024.

Bespoke vehicles, M-typical performance

Uncompromising dynamics both in everyday driving and on the racetrack are characteristic of BMW M4 Series models, this also being reflected in their design. Powerful proportions and M-specific design features for optimising the cooling air supply and the aerodynamic balance underpin their status as high-performance sports cars. The large, vertical BMW kidney grille sporting M-typical and horizontally arranged double slats, powerfully modelled wheel arches and prominently flared side sills with a contrasting high-gloss black finish as well as attachments for the front and rear aprons provide clear reference to the dynamic potential of both the Coupé and the Convertible.

Furthermore, the various model variants present themselves as bespoke vehicles, each of them enhancing the extreme sporty driving experience with their very own special facets. For example, a carbon reinforced plastic (CRP) roof is standard on all variants of the BMW M4 Coupé. The BMW M4 Competition Convertible with M xDrive offers a particularly unique opportunity to enjoy M-typical performance along with an extraordinary open-air driving experience. The car's sophisticated panel bow soft-top roof combines the benefits of a retractable hardtop with the look of a classic fabric roof. The electric drive mechanism allows it to be opened or closed while on the move.

Straight six-cylinder engine with motor racing technology and new performance specification

The straight six-cylinder power units used in the new BMW M4 Coupé and the new BMW M4 Convertible combine the typical high-revving characteristics offered by engines from BMW M GmbH with the current version of M TwinPower Turbo Technology. All variants of the 3-litre engine impress with responsive power delivery and high-torque characteristics up into the highest load ranges. These attributes are responsible for those unmistakable, linear performance characteristics, which have always been the hallmark of BMW M automobiles.

The engine's design features directly derive from motor racing and include the extremely stiff crankcase, which is manufactured in a sleeveless closed-deck design, the weight-reduced forged crankshaft and the iron coating, which is applied to the cylinder liners in an arc wire spraying process (AWSP). Manufactured in a 3-D printing process, the cylinder head core features an optimised routing of the coolant ducts, something that cannot be realised using conventional metal casting technology. In this way, both weight and temperature management are optimised. Like the cooling system, the oil supply is also aligned to the special demands of racetrack use.

M TwinPower Turbo Technology comprises two mono scroll turbochargers, each of them supplying three cylinders with compressed air. Indirect intercooling facilitated by a low-temperature circuit and specific compressors optimise the power output of the charging unit. Moreover, the technology package includes the petrol injection system High Precision Injection operating at a maximum pressure of 350 bar, variable valve control VALVETRONIC and infinitely variable camshaft control Double VANOS.

Maximum power output of the straight six-cylinder power unit variant featured in both the new BMW M4 Competition Coupé with M xDrive and the new BMW M4 Competition Convertible with M xDrive has been increased from the previous 375 kW/510 hp to 390 kW/530 hp, this being reached at an engine speed of 6,250 rpm. The further developed engine retrieves maximum torque of 650 Nm within an extended engine speed range of between 2,750 and 5,730 rpm. This results in even more superior and continuous power delivery, thus further enhancing the performance experience above all in highly dynamic driving situations. This exclusive performance specification is realised through a modification of the engine control system, providing further proof of the outstanding potential of the straight six-cylinder engine developed by BMW M GmbH and which serves as the basis for the power plant featured in the BMW M4 GT3 long-distance vehicle.

Whilst the new BMW M4 Competition Coupé with M xDrive is able to accelerate from 0 to 62 mph in 3.5 seconds, the new BMW M4 Competition Convertible with M xDrive takes 3.7 seconds to reach the same speed from a standstill. All model variants of the new BMW M4 Coupé and the BMW M4 Convertible achieve a top speed that is electronically limited to 155 mph. This value can be increased to 174 mph with the optional M Driver's Package (BMW M4 Competition Convertible with M xDrive) or 180 mph respectively.

Honed on the Nürburgring: M-typical overall package comprising engine, power transmission and suspension technology

Like the 8-speed M Steptronic transmission with Drivelogic fitted to all other model variants, the 6-speed manual transmission in the new BMW M4 Coupé is perfectly matched to the performance characteristics of each engine. Shift paddles on the steering wheel for spontaneous manual intervention at each selected driving speed and the Drivelogic button for variable shift characteristics pave the way for a driving experience that is customisable in a variety of ways.

In addition, the most powerful version of the straight six-cylinder engine is combined with intelligent four-wheel drive M xDrive. This gives the new BMW M4 Competition Coupé with M xDrive and the new BMW M4 Competition Convertible with M xDrive outstanding traction, an attribute that is expressed in their impressive acceleration values. Thanks to a rear-wheel biased system and in conjunction with a fully variable Active M differential in the rear wheel transmission, the M xDrive system also enhances that typical M feeling during dynamic cornering. Via the set-up menu the driver is able to select, in addition to the default setting 4WD, the 4WD Sport mode, in which greater percentage of torque is directed to the rear axle. Moreover, when DSC is deactivated, the 2WD mode becomes available for exclusive transmission of power to the rear wheels.

High torsional stiffness of the body structure and the suspension connections create the ideal prerequisites for inspiring agility and spontaneous response to steering commands. Model-specific body struts also help the high-performance model provide that BMW M typical combination of dynamic, agile and precise handling.

M-specific kinematics and elasto-kinematics of the double-joint spring strut front axle and the five-link rear axle guarantee the harmony between extreme driving dynamics and balanced comfort features on all models of the series, both in everyday use and on longer journeys. Three characteristic maps are available via the M Setup menu for individual adjustments of the Adaptive M suspension, which comes as standard. Further components of the suspension technology include M Servotronic steering and the integrated braking system, which is utilised in conjunction both with the standard M compound brakes and the optional M carbon-ceramic brakes.

The integrated application of all drive and suspension systems, which was tested, inter alia, on the northern loop of the Nürburgring, guarantees, also in everyday traffic, highly dynamic and precisely controllable handling. A form of driving pleasure that is unique within the competitive environment is provided by the stability control system DSC (Dynamic Stability Control), which in addition to the M Dynamic Mode comprises ten-stage adjustable wheel slip limitation. By means of the M Traction Control function, optionally available for the BMW M4 Coupé and standard on all Competition models, the driver is able to reduce system interventions in stages in order to cautiously approach the physical limits of driving when the car is used on the racetrack, for instance. The M Lap Timer and the M Drift Analyser provide functions that emphasise the character of these high-performance models as ultimate driving machines for use on closed-off roads.

Wheel sizes aligned to each axle, M forged light-alloy wheels boasting a new design

Axle-specificwheel sizes ensure a particularly comprehensive transfer of lateral forces during dynamic cornering. The new BMW M4 Coupé and the new BMW M4 Competition Coupé both come as standard with 18-inch M forged light-alloy wheels at the front and 19" at the rear. The standard configuration of the BMW M4 Competition Coupé with M xDrive and the BMW M4 Competition Convertible with M xDrive comprises M forged light alloys of the size 19" at the front and 20" at the rear.

The combination of 19" and 20" M light alloys is also optionally available for the new BMW M4 Coupé and the new BMW M4 Competition Coupé. New to the range of special equipment for all model variants are M forged light-alloy wheels in the above sizes featuring a double-spoke design and, for the first time, with a silver finish. Their brightly shining surfaces provide for a sporty, sophisticated and elegant look.
M4 Coupe [with 6MT!!]

M4 Convertible

​​​​​​​
Old 02-01-2024, 10:39 AM

Still
Old 02-01-2024, 11:18 AM
Ex-OEM King

I finally figured out why the M3 looks so much better than the M4.

It's all in the hips.

The 4 series body is wider than the 3 series body so it can accommodate the wider wheels and rear track of the M cars so it looks bleh. The 3 series body needs fender flares to fit all the running gear in the back so it looks widebody and cool.
00TL-P3.2 (02-01-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 11:49 AM

Plus, I've always like the 4DSC [4 Door Sports Car] thing. I've only owned 2 2-door cars in the multitude I've owned: 97 Civic & the Midget.