6 Speed Manual Transmission/Clutch Issues!!! Please look inside to help diagnose!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 02:06 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 6 Speed Manual Transmission/Clutch Issues!!! Please look inside to help diagnose!

Well lets just say I was having a good nite until the ole transmission decided to take a dump on me when I was driving home...

The car:
2003 Acura CL-S 6 speed

Had to get towed, and didn't get home until 5:00 am this morning.....

Anyhow, I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with the car.....so i'll explain what happened last night...

I knew that something was going to happen to eventually, since I could feel the pedal getting really stiff at higher rpms, then it would occasionally be smooth?? and its been doing that ever since I've owned the car so....here we go!

1. Was shifting perfect,(except for the tense pedal like I described) I've never had this transmission grind on me!! even at higher rpms like i've read on many other post....so i feel like there shouldn't be anything wrong with the transmission!

2. I noticed that the clutch pedal was stiffer then normal....

3. So when i was downshifting normally (coming up to a stop light) I suddenly heard a loud grind...and it was very difficult to put into gear....

4. As soon as it happened I drove for about 2 miles to the next open gas station in 3rd gear never stopping....no noise was coming from the transmission while it was in the gear and it had power as well..

5. This morning I can put it in gear now when the car is off, or even when idling at 1000 rpms, however when I release the clutch pedal i hear a slight grinding noise.....it occurs in every gear, ex. 1st, 2nd, etc. and even reverse.....the noise makes me not want to let the pedal out!!! I'm afraid of causing more damage to the transmission possibly!

My opinion and possible solution?
I'm not exactly sure what it could be, and I'd like some second opinions....I feel as if its either an issue with the clutch Disc or the pressure plate....could one of the small springs in the disc have broken, causing a grinding noise when the pressure plate is applied?

If it is the clutch, i'm not going to put an oem clutch in it...I'd really like to get one of these Heeltoe clutch kits he is working on....or maybe a clutchmaster kit, I just need the car back on the road soon...Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advanced!!! I'm going to work on my 96 Civic so at least I can drive that to work tomorrow!!
Old 09-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,137 Likes on 4,805 Posts
Id suggest the Clutch Masters stage 1 kit. Ive heard good things about it.

Are you sure you were putting it completely in gear this morning? If the clutch isnt dis-engaging fully, then you will be able to get it into the gate, but not fully into gear, hence the grinding noise.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Instructor

Arrow

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Are you sure you were putting it completely in gear this morning? If the clutch isnt dis-engaging fully, then you will be able to get it into the gate, but not fully into gear, hence the grinding noise.
Yes, it will go into gear!!!

Just once I let off of the pedal half way or so to move forward or backward(reverse) the same grinding noise is heard....and it seems to struggle to move either direction....so I end up compressing the clutch pedal back and the noise goes away....

The car idles fine...so i know its something with the gearbox
Old 09-22-2009, 03:48 PM
Instructor

Arrow

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Id suggest the Clutch Masters stage 1 kit. Ive heard good things about it.
Looking this product up now....how much is it?

I found an OEM Honda Clutch, but it seems the disc doesn't have any springs?

I also found an Exedy OE replacement(has the springs built in the disc)

I wonder how long it will take MrHeeltoe to develop his version???
Old 09-22-2009, 04:00 PM
Sundance Gold in

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Looks like your throw out bearing took a dump. Transmission will be fine
Old 09-22-2009, 04:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by celynka
sounds like a possibility, if thats the case I guess I should put another oem clutch in there while the transmission is off
Old 09-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 183 Posts
You sure you have clutch fluid?
Old 09-23-2009, 11:29 AM
10th Gear

I had the same problem when I released the clutch it would make a grinding noise.
My problem was the pressure plate wasn't installed correctly and wasn't dis-engaging the clutch fully making the grinding noise.
I wouldn't drive your car too much until you get a new clutch/pressure plate in b/c my pressure plate actually scraped the inside of the transmission housing...
Old 09-25-2009, 07:03 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by celynka
x2
Originally Posted by 3.2VtecTL
sounds like a possibility, if thats the case I guess I should put another oem clutch in there while the transmission is off
better to only have to go in in there once
Old 09-28-2009, 03:53 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Your tranny is fine, your clutch gave out suddenly, it happened on my CLS6 as well. It most likely was not caused by wear if this all happen suddenly. The 6-Speed trannies last for the life of the car. I have never heard of one that went bad. Fix your clutch and you'll be good to go