Washer Check Valves >:(

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 03:59 PM
USAF Veteran

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Washer Check Valves >:(

So my washers failed to spray. Assuming the reservoir was too low, I filled it up to the tippy top. Still no spray. That's when I noticed the connection on top of the strut (from the pump to the line under the hood shield) disconnected. The line itself is pretty rock hard after 18 years. No matter, I clipped the ends off and used some fresh tubing and unions to refresh the junction. Still no joy!! Instead washer fluid poured out from the heat shield.

Turns out all of the tubing is pretty rock hard and the 2 check valves (one at each nozzle) cracked. At first I thought it odd Acura would use 2 check valves at each nozzle, instead of one at the pump end. But who am I to question the wisdom of Honda's best!!!

No one carries them in stock and the generic ones locally available appear to be much larger. So I order a pair online (not a big expense). Meanwhile I patched the tubing so the sprayer still works for now. A complete replacement will require me to remove the shield and replace everything from pump to nozzles. I'll also need new clips to retain the shield.

Now before you shed any tears for me, I realize this is pretty small potatoes in the grand scheme of things and an insignificant 1st world problem. Nonetheless, it reminds me how even seemingly simple repairs can grow beyond their initial scope so be ready!!

While I wait for them to arrive (late next week), perhaps you'll join in and tell us about your simple fix that snowballed into something much bigger.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,390 Posts
^

This reminds me that I have a passenger side spray nozzle malfunction that needs to be addressed.
There are 14 Engine Hood Insulator Clips -(90700-SJ4-000) that keep on the Hood Insulator; $2.11 each online from the stealership.
Did you find them anywhere else cheaper? Nevermind, I found them on ebay for $.47 each.
As you say they are over 16+ years old on my '03 CLS6 and they are sure to be destroyed upon removal of the hood insulator to get at the plumbing of the pee pee squirters.

Last edited by zeta; 01-19-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:58 PM
USAF Veteran

I didn't price check those. They are typically available from any local parts store in the HELP section. I need to get some for my Jeep as well.

Funny thing is I ended up ordering the check valves from Acuraoemparts as they were the cheapest source.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:10 PM
Resident Smart@ss

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
When Replacing a Spark Plug Tube Seal Goes Sideways...

Just last week I discovered that the spark plug tube seal on cylinder #1 had been leaking, so I set about replacing it. Pulled the valve cover, popped out the seal with a gasket puller, smacked in a new one (using a 32 mm socket and the old seal as a spacer), and done! No big deal. Right? Wrong.

As I was buttoning everything back up, just after I finished torquing down the valve cover bolts (in sequence and in multiple stages), I bumped the god*mned PCV valve and broke that son of a b*chh clean the f**k off. THEN, as I was trying to pry out the broken off remnants of that aggravating piece of sh*t, it f**king fell down into my valve cover. This being my only car, and me not keeping extra PCV valves just laying around, there was a lot of me supporting Uber drivers and cussing to myself for a couple of days there...
Old 01-20-2019, 07:13 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Holy crap! How did you get all of the broken platic out if the engine?
Old 01-20-2019, 07:13 PM
Null and proud of it

I feel for you.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:00 PM
Resident Smart@ss

Thanks, @Midnight Mystery. I was worried sick about that crap being in my valvetrain or falling down some passage into the block itself and spent a ridiculous amount of time looking for the debris over a couple of days. The painful lesson I learned was this: there's a block-off which prevents the PCV valve from falling into any of those places. Because old man Honda is smart like that.

In the first picture, I'm showing the top of the valve cover and am pointing at the hole where the PCV valve goes. In the second picture, I'm showing the underside of the valve cover and am pointing at the spot directly beneath that hole. When I finally pulled my valve cover (yet again), I heard that PCV motherf**ker rattling around inside that blocked off area and was both immensely relieved and ready to facepalm with a hammer. FML (FTW?).

Pointing at the PCV valve location.

Pointing at what's under the PCV valve.
The following users liked this post:
Saudade (01-20-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 10:10 PM
Null and proud of it

Wheew! That was close. Nice save, valve cover.

One heck of a story. Thanks for including pics.

How is she running now?
Old 01-20-2019, 11:02 PM
Resident Smart@ss

Well, she isn't, but I don't want to hijack this thread; I just wanted to answer @Saudade's call for stories of small problems that snowballed into big ones. Thanks for asking, though.
The following users liked this post:
Saudade (01-20-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 11:39 PM
USAF Veteran

"hijack" away...