Black smoke/poor fuel consumption

Old 02-12-2019, 02:20 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black smoke/poor fuel consumption

Hey, not too sure what to look at to get my issues solved.. I press the command start and watching the exhaust, it just pours black smoke out for the first while then clears up.. My fuel consumption is brutal as of lately, like 20l/100km.. It's been consistently horribly cold here (-40c) so that may have to do with the fuel consumption warming the car up for 10 mins before getting in.. I replaced the spark plugs at the end of summer, the car has 145,000km roughly, 2009 rdx.. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 02-14-2019, 10:53 PM
CSmoney28

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Hey brother, sounds like your running too rich. You need to check your mass air flow sensor, oxygen sensor, fuel pressure regulator, fuel line, fuel injectors, fuel filter, fuel pump, engine air filter, egr valve, turbo charger & computer. Your burning too much fuel in your engine and it’s igniting in your hot exhaust upon exiting the vehicle.

First thing I would do is make sure you get gas from a top tier gas station such as mobile. Make sure you use the highest octane gas they carry for example 93. Then I would get the best fuel additive and cleaner on the market such as Lucas. Then I would change the engine air filter with an new oem one. So on and so forth going from the cheapest fix to the most expensive fix...
Old 02-17-2019, 11:13 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Lennon Giesbrecht
Hey, not too sure what to look at to get my issues solved.. I press the command start and watching the exhaust, it just pours black smoke out for the first while then clears up.. My fuel consumption is brutal as of lately, like 20l/100km.. It's been consistently horribly cold here (-40c) so that may have to do with the fuel consumption warming the car up for 10 mins before getting in.. I replaced the spark plugs at the end of summer, the car has 145,000km roughly, 2009 rdx.. Any help would be appreciated!
Any codes?
Old 02-18-2019, 11:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
I had similar symptoms on a previous car...after sitting for some time it would be hard to start, and belt out thick back smoke for a bit before it settled down into a normal idle. Ended up being that the fuel pressure regulator was slowly leaking fuel into the cylinders while care was off, and it was slowly flooding the engine. Never threw a code, but still failed emissions when hooked up to a sniffer.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:12 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CSmoney28
Hey brother, sounds like your running too rich. You need to check your mass air flow sensor, oxygen sensor, fuel pressure regulator, fuel line, fuel injectors, fuel filter, fuel pump, engine air filter, egr valve, turbo charger & computer. Your burning too much fuel in your engine and it’s igniting in your hot exhaust upon exiting the vehicle.

First thing I would do is make sure you get gas from a top tier gas station such as mobile. Make sure you use the highest octane gas they carry for example 93. Then I would get the best fuel additive and cleaner on the market such as Lucas. Then I would change the engine air filter with an new oem one. So on and so forth going from the cheapest fix to the most expensive fix...
Hey thanks for the reply, good advice I'll start checking things! Always get top tier fuel as well!
Originally Posted by Poveiro
Any codes?
No codes!
Old 02-21-2019, 09:25 PM
CSmoney28

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
No problem, anytime. Let me know how it works out for you.