Cracked dashboard in '04 TL

Old 08-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My tl has developed a small crack above the instrument cluster over the weekend, believe it or not, when it has been sitting in the heat all day the crack is not there ( the dash gets so hot that it expands and fills the crack) as soon as i start driving the car and i run the ac the crack appears.... Anyways i went to my local dealer, rick case acura and the service adviser told me acura is aware of the problem and pretty soon it will become a recall. They will replace mine free of charge and my tl is a 04 with 89k miles.
So no worries just bring it and acura will take care of you.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by CUCU28
My tl has developed a small crack above the instrument cluster over the weekend, believe it or not, when it has been sitting in the heat all day the crack is not there ( the dash gets so hot that it expands and fills the crack) as soon as i start driving the car and i run the ac the crack appears.... Anyways i went to my local dealer, rick case acura and the service adviser told me acura is aware of the problem and pretty soon it will become a recall. They will replace mine free of charge and my tl is a 04 with 89k miles.
I'll believe it when I see it.. they're probably waiting for the majority of owners to go over 100k.. leaving them SOL.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yup rick case is not far down the street from me also. maybe i should take mine to them also since they saw yours and then mine it should be like a light bulb going off in their head. i should just head over to them this weekend

and yea mine does the same exact thing as yours. if i leave it in the sun to heat up i cannot see the crack at all. until it is in the shade or cooled off.

edit: Majofo, i will get a better shot here soon a bit further away so you can really see the whole dash.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Cruisin'

here is a better view from further away. sorry its not as clear as most. taking these on my blackberry but you still get an idea of what is going on

Old 08-11-2009, 07:52 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
.... Anyways i went to my local dealer, rick case acura and the service adviser told me acura is aware of the problem and pretty soon it will become a recall. They will replace mine free of charge and my tl is a 04 with 89k miles.
If you talk with your dealer again, please get us some more information. Mine is an 05 and I'm preparing for the worst next year. I've already got major indentations where the stupid air-bag is. I still can't believe Acura designed the dashboard like this...
Old 08-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Instructor

I was there again today, i bought some parts, i spoke to the service writer again and he told me he is waiting on the dash to come in, he will call me once it comes in, he said it should be here tomorrow. He told me clearly that he replaced 3 last week, he does have to send a request out to acura and you will have to wait for them to respond but like i said before he said it is going to be recall soon. I have faith in them since they have always been great with me, i always get discounts and i have received a hand full of free oil changes just by bringing the guys a pizza from time to time. ( i feel bad for everyone that had to pay out of pocket to get the dash replaced but i believe you can take that up with acura corporate once it becomes a recall and receive a full refund. Anyhow good luck to you guys,my crack is only about 1 inch long, some of your guys dash look really bad i am sure they will help
Old 08-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was there again today, i bought some parts, i spoke to the service writer again and he told me he is waiting on the dash to come in, he will call me once it comes in, he said it should be here tomorrow. He told me clearly that he replaced 3 last week, he does have to send a request out to acura and you will have to wait for them to respond but like i said before he said it is going to be recall soon. I have faith in them since they have always been great with me, i always get discounts and i have received a hand full of free oil changes just by bringing the guys a pizza from time to time. ( i feel bad for everyone that had to pay out of pocket to get the dash replaced but i believe you can take that up with acura corporate once it becomes a recall and receive a full refund. Anyhow good luck to you guys,my crack is only about 1 inch long, some of your guys dash look really bad i am sure they will help

It will be great if they made a recall, because right now i am loosing my hopes does he told you how long will it takes?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Instructor

not long ago my first crack appeared on my dash, now only two weeks my whole dash is filled with cracks, this is getting absurd. I'm also located in Miami,FL and I know the weather is not helping but my 98 eclipse never had this problem. Please keep us updated on the recall or lawsuit.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:24 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Same place every time. This is gonna be a big money pit for Acura...
Old 08-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Intermediate

As you can see, mine keeps getting worse! Only 47K miles

They keep falling off! Has this happened to anyone else?
Old 08-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by sagreba32

They keep falling off! Has this happened to anyone else?
Yeah.. Hasn't happened to me (yet!).. but this is known issue.. there's a tsb on it, check out the 3G TL Garage for the tsb.
The following users liked this post:
Woodiega (10-14-2021)
Old 08-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Majofo
Yeah.. Hasn't happened to me (yet!).. but this is known issue.. there's a tsb on it, check out the 3G TL Garage for the tsb.
Found it! Thank you
Old 08-13-2009, 09:03 PM
Cruisin'

sagreba32, i had my back driver side one fall off once. it was like $12 from the dealer and snapped back on. well..... kinda snapped back on.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Majofo

it happen to me but i glue it jejeje !!!
Old 08-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Instructor

had anyone called???

Acura Client Services Office
Mail Stop 500-2N-7E
1919 Torrance Boulevard
Torrance, California 90501-2746
(800) 382-2238
In Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands

Bella International Corp.
C-1 Bechara St. Segarra Corner
Puerto Nuevo, Puerto Rico 00920
(787) 620-7028

BTW my dash is getting worst to !!!!
Old 08-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Hello!

Those pics are scary!
Old 08-23-2009, 08:25 AM
Cruisin'

here is an update.

i went to my local dealer yesterday, which happens to be Rick Case Acura in South Florida and spoke with Paul Santamaria in the service area. I told him what was going on and he told me this is not the first time he has heard this. he started to take my information and then told me that most of the time he can get these replaced on good will. on some occasions we were told that we will just have to pay 10% of the cost. which cost is about $1600 so we end up paying $160 for the new dash. the guy did not even go outside to look at my car. which means to me that he has seen enough of these to believe what i was telling him. plus i also mentioned i have researched this a bit on the net

so he gave me his card and told me it might be a week or two because he has to ask Acura for a replacement. now it's wait and see time
Old 08-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Instructor

Got mine done today... Free of charge i love rick case. They even replaced the 2 tweeters and center speakers free. There was another guy there that told me he raised hell and he got them to do it for him, but since he raised hell he had to pay 10%. I spoke nice and got it for free. Hehe
Old 08-24-2009, 08:24 PM
Intermediate

I had mine replaced about a year ago and it was the first one through that dealership, per the SA. At the time, I had to fight with the service advisor, manager, and ultimately met with the Regional Service Rep and he approved the replacement. It took a few weeks to get the dash in and then install was a day about a week later. In that month, the SA told me multiple other ones had come in since. There definitely is a problem.

I will also say that, less than a year later, my dash is already starting to fade and you can see a faint outline of the airbag. Since the last one cracked, I tinted the windshield with 30% AND bought a Covercraft sun shade that is used everytime the car is parked in sunlight. I have a feeling that at some point this dash will have to be replaced again. The dash is just an awful design on Acura's part. What the hell were they thinking?
The following users liked this post:
Woodiega (10-14-2021)
Old 08-24-2009, 08:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BreBar21
I had mine replaced about a year ago and it was the first one through that dealership, per the SA. At the time, I had to fight with the service advisor, manager, and ultimately met with the Regional Service Rep and he approved the replacement. It took a few weeks to get the dash in and then install was a day about a week later. In that month, the SA told me multiple other ones had come in since. There definitely is a problem.

I will also say that, less than a year later, my dash is already starting to fade and you can see a faint outline of the airbag. Since the last one cracked, I tinted the windshield with 30% AND bought a Covercraft sun shade that is used everytime the car is parked in sunlight. I have a feeling that at some point this dash will have to be replaced again. The dash is just an awful design on Acura's part. What the hell were they thinking?
my dash install took 2:34 minutes. i timed the guy. the new dash is milky white but i was told it is the dust from the storage, i wiped it down with a damp cloth and now it shines nice. i was also told that this is a new design and not the same old one. we should not have a problem
Old 08-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Intermediate

Glad to hear. The minor fading doesn't actually bother me as long as it doesn't crack.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:28 AM
#1 Super Guy!

m.... i was also told that this is a new design and not the same old one. we should not have a problem
I'm inclined to call BS on that one! Not on your part, but on theirs. What is the part number on your service invoice? If it's the same old part number, then it's the same old dashboard. If you don't have the part number, call the guy and ask for it. Tell him you've got a few hundred (or thousand) concerned owners that would really like to know the updated part info...
Old 08-25-2009, 01:13 AM
10th Gear

Old 08-25-2009, 09:01 AM
Instructor

I will go by there later today, cause the funny thing is i asked them to keep the old box the dash was in. Shipping purposes but i did not have my truck with me, so when i pick up the box i will get the part number and we will see. I mean why would they want to bs you if they are doing this for free and if it happens again it's more money lost for them. I don't think they are lying.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:55 AM
#1 Super Guy!

I mean why would they want to bs you if they are doing this for free and if it happens again it's more money lost for them. I don't think they are lying.
To put your mind at ease of course. I'm sorry if I messed that up, but I'm too synical to let it go without proof...

BTW: I had a Honda service writer lie to me because he didn't even understand the work that was being done. He insisted that they had replaced every gear inside my Element's gearbox. I told him that was rediculos since it would cost 3 times the price of a new transmission assembly and I even showed him the list of parts used on the invoice. He still insisted he was right. I guess he thought the part called "3rd gear set" somehow meant all 5 or something and he thought I would be happier having all 5 new gears...

Last edited by 94eg!; 08-25-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:19 PM
Cruisin'

Got mine done today... Free of charge i love rick case. They even replaced the 2 tweeters and center speakers free. There was another guy there that told me he raised hell and he got them to do it for him, but since he raised hell he had to pay 10%. I spoke nice and got it for free. Hehe
that is interesting since i was super nice to the guy. not one time did i even cop an attitude. hell i even told him i used to work for rick case about 10 years ago lol. which i did and he remembered one of the salesman there.

i also have my passenger side tweeter going. the damn thing buzes all the time. probably not grounded right.

hopefully he wont charge me the 10%
Old 08-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Xiteg
that is interesting since i was super nice to the guy. not one time did i even cop an attitude. hell i even told him i used to work for rick case about 10 years ago lol. which i did and he remembered one of the salesman there.

i also have my passenger side tweeter going. the damn thing buzes all the time. probably not grounded right.

hopefully he wont charge me the 10%
10% I will love to pay 10% Actually I will be happy to if they fix mine for the $500 of the labor but here in PR they don't want to cover anything, I am so mad and I feel helpless!
Old 09-08-2009, 05:42 PM
1st Gear

I see that you are in Coral Springs, I am in Plantation, I have the same problem in my 05 TL and it has about 45,000 miles on it. Where did you take you TL that they replaced it under good will with what seems like very little hassle?
Thanks
Old 09-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tmanjdog
I see that you are in Coral Springs, I am in Plantation, I have the same problem in my 05 TL and it has about 45,000 miles on it. Where did you take you TL that they replaced it under good will with what seems like very little hassle?
Thanks
the first 2005 i have heard !!
Old 09-08-2009, 10:19 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Originally Posted by TL on "20"
the first 2005 i have heard !!
There is one more 05 in one of these threads. Of course a year after the 04's started, 05's will start cracking too. If this happens to me, I would be completely heart broken. If they didn't fix it under recall or good-will, I don't think I could ever buy another late-model Honda product again......And I own 4 Hondas...
Old 09-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Racer

i'll be interested to see if I'm posting in this thread in 2 or 3 years with my '07.

Inspected the dash this morning and everything looks perfect, but then it's not nearly as old as the cars with the problem.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:01 PM
onyX.

cucu28,i live here in miami and i have the sameproblem as everyone here... but i bought my car of a small dealership do i have hope if i take it in to rick case to get it fix without pay for it full price or w/e.??
Old 09-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by djonyx88
cucu28,i live here in miami and i have the sameproblem as everyone here... but i bought my car of a small dealership do i have hope if i take it in to rick case to get it fix without pay for it full price or w/e.??

can you post a picture??
Old 09-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My mom has a 04 with 47,000 miles and it just started cracking on the passenger side. Acura dealership told her that she has to pay $400 to get it fixed. I wonder why some of you guys got it free or only pay 10%.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by goldenchild626
My mom has a 04 with 47,000 miles and it just started cracking on the passenger side. Acura dealership told her that she has to pay $400 to get it fixed. I wonder why some of you guys got it free or only pay 10%.
Because those guys have buy more than one Acura that is what my dealer told me but that is BS !!!!
Old 09-23-2009, 09:00 PM
Instructor

it does not matter where you buy your acura, it is going to be a recall soon, and they will fix it for free. just tell them many people have already got it done for free. if you go to rick case on sunrise and 441 ask for Mak he will take care of you and make sure you don't pay a dime. ohh yeah dont forget to tip the guy.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:24 PM

Received 9,493 Likes on 6,165 Posts
If it becomes a recall, I'm going to write a letter asking for a refund. I payed $560 to get mine fixed. That's crap.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by goldenchild626
It just depends on the dealer. If they are greedy they will try to profit on the labor, even when Acura will give them the dash for free. Its pure BS. regardless, no one should pay for this, its lame, and hurting Acura more than they can imagine.

it does not matter where you buy your acura, it is going to be a recall soon, and they will fix it for free. just tell them many people have already got it done for free. if you go to rick case on sunrise and 441 ask for Mak he will take care of you and make sure you don't pay a dime. ohh yeah dont forget to tip the guy.
I wonder if I would have the right to claim my money back if it becomes a recall, I just payed $500 to get it fixed! ( And I am steaming...) Acura will not see one penny from me again.

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
If it becomes a recall, I'm going to write a letter asking for a refund. I payed $560 to get mine fixed. That's crap.
+1 , Any Idea if we would have a right to claim a refund. makes all the sense in the world to me. Anyone knows??

Peace,

Rolan

Last edited by rolan04tl; 09-23-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:34 PM
Instructor

i am not sure about the recall !!! but lets hope so !!
Old 09-25-2009, 09:40 AM
Instructor

I hope you are right, although I would not count on it. Is there any special reason you believe it will be a recall?

From my understanding, recalls are ussually made because of safety issues. Unless the cracked dash is a safety issue, I doubt we will get a recall.

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Hello CLtotheTL, I was intrigued by this and I found this site: (read it, its very informative)

http://www.citizen.org/autosafety/nh...s.cfm?ID=10215

So if you paid for the fix and it later becomes a recall, you are entitled to a refund. although I still dont think its going to be a recall anyways.

I also called the NHTSA and they told me that as a consumer you can preasure a manufaturer to recall a defective product. This should be done through the state atturney so I will try and call the State Atturney Office in PR and see what they have to say.

We need to get all the people involved in this to join the facebook group. See if we get enough cases to preasure the manufacturer. Even if people got it repaired under waranty, they still need to join so its know its a manufacturers defect.

Facebook Group --> Search Acura TL defective dash.

Lets see what happens with this.

Peace,

Rolan

Last edited by rolan04tl; 09-25-2009 at 09:45 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cracked dashboard in '04 TL