Cracked dashboard in '04 TL

Old 03-02-2009, 06:22 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's exactly like one of the three cracks I have. I hope you have better luck than I did. I would appreciate an update if you are successful in getting this fixed at no charge.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
^ that is seriously effed up. I have 2 1.5" cracks on mine but yours is ridiculous. I hope you get it resolved. I think I'm going to use a vinyl / low thermal expansion filler on mine.. You need a new dash. Try using a good protectant if you do get it replaced. It should help keep the dash from cracking.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Majofo
^ that is seriously effed up. I have 2 1.5" cracks on mine but yours is ridiculous. I hope you get it resolved. I think I'm going to use a vinyl / low thermal expansion filler on mine.. You need a new dash. Try using a good protectant if you do get it replaced. It should help keep the dash from cracking.
I'll try and find a filler like you mentioned.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So what was their reasoning again to deny a warranty claim? They called it wear and tear? And they consider this normal wear and tear? If its worth it Lawyer up I say. Even if its not you might still want to lawyer up. End up costing them more than it would of been to do the warranty work.

Also get them to put into writting why they consider it normal wear and tear.

D
Old 03-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Intermediate

The crazy thing is that they consider a dashboard "trim", which isn't covered. I know, it's stupid, but that's what they claim. I was stupid for not reading the fine print.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Newbie.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Denied!

They denied mine too the told me it was considered an interior trim piece and they weren't going to cover it under warranty! But they were glad to quote me $1760 to fix it though, I mean I'm not driving a Lambo so there is no reason why a "DASHBOARD TRIM PIECE" should cost damn near $1800. So Acura clinet care was called and they are working the case. So i will keep everyone posted!
Old 03-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Intermediate

Cracked reasoning

Originally Posted by 05Smoke_GreyTL
They denied mine too the told me it was considered an interior trim piece and they weren't going to cover it under warranty! But they were glad to quote me $1760 to fix it though, I mean I'm not driving a Lambo so there is no reason why a "DASHBOARD TRIM PIECE" should cost damn near $1800. So Acura clinet care was called and they are working the case. So i will keep everyone posted!
I tried going through Acura Client Services and got denied there too. It's amazing that different dealers quote different prices for the same job. I think my estimate was $1470.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
What abpout if you have 110k miles and this happens to my car and it is and 06? i mean it is a 3 year old car!! with alot of highway miles
Old 03-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Newbie.

Well if Acura client services denies me then im going to go higher in the chain! I dont know who that is but I'm gonna talk him or her. And the Better Business Bureau will hear about it too!
Old 03-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Newbie.

We need to figure out how we can get this Acura themselves to make it a TSB or a Recall!
Old 03-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
My god, that sucks. I thought only 20 yr old GM cars got cracked dashboards. I can't believe this, I feel for you guys, that would seriously piss me off to no end. Reminds me of microsoft and the xbox. You guys really ought to think of starting a lawsuit, this is obviously an inherent flaw. Not to mention paying up to $1800 for a dash that will probably do it again is down right lunacy.

should also see how much a custom suede dash would cost instead, I bet it would be cheaper and then you'd have a proper $1800 looking dash, like a real Lamborghini.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:49 PM

We need to figure out how we can get this Acura themselves to make it a TSB or a Recall!
In this economy.. it's not going to happen.. especially since the new 4G is out. Honda's business is to make new cars and parts for those new cars but that doesn't mean they're in the car parts business. Now if we could get an aftermarket cover or develop a method to cosmetically fix it.. that would be more realistic.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Traveling the country

Agreed, I even thought about trying to get a class action lawsuit started. This is starting to happen to a lot of 3G TL's and Acura is just blowing it off. You do not even see most American cars 10+ years old sitting outside all of the time with dash cracks.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Intermediate

I've never had a dashboard crack on any car. I couldn't even reason with the guy from client services. If they don't fix it, I'm going to leave the cracks for everyone to see. Believe me, everyone who gets in my car asks about the cracks and I let them know that it's a problem with Acuras and they won't cover it. Keep us all posted if anyone gets anywhere with these people. I think the earlier comment was right on - in this economy they don't want to spend the money. A year ago it might have been different.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Newbie.

Originally Posted by Myxomatosis
My god, that sucks. I thought only 20 yr old GM cars got cracked dashboards. I can't believe this, I feel for you guys, that would seriously piss me off to no end. Reminds me of microsoft and the xbox. You guys really ought to think of starting a lawsuit, this is obviously an inherent flaw. Not to mention paying up to $1800 for a dash that will probably do it again is down right lunacy.

should also see how much a custom suede dash would cost instead, I bet it would be cheaper and then you'd have a proper $1800 looking dash, like a real Lamborghini.

If they dont fix it i might just look into the whole suede idea thanks for the advice!
Old 03-03-2009, 10:01 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Wear and tear of what? The dash is supposed to crack? It's not abuse either so it falls under the category of DEFECT! It is not a "trim piece" either, that is BS. We know what a trim piece is. They are just looking for gray areas in the jargon. They need an ass kicking!
Old 03-04-2009, 03:02 AM
2005, Acura TL, 5AT

What about dash mats?? I remember seeing them in peoples cars in the late 80s all the way through the 90s. Would a dash mat look like crap in our TLs? My 05 dash is fading quickly and its starting to piss me off..

How many of you who have had the cracks show up have NAV??
Old 03-04-2009, 09:21 AM

The best way to protect against fading and cracking is to properly treat your dashes and interior trim with a protectant against heat and UV. Also use a sun shade / shield.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Newbie.

So heres the deal Acura client services called the dealer and worked out a deal! The dealer has agreed to fix the dash and my headlights that also got denied previously, but there is a catch the only amount i have to pay is $650 plus tax which i think is for labor! I haven't agreed to it yet but i'm thinking about it. Let me know what you guys and girls think.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:04 AM

So heres the deal Acura client services called the dealer and worked out a deal! The dealer has agreed to fix the dash and my headlights that also got denied previously, but there is a catch the only amount i have to pay is $650 plus tax which i think is for labor! I haven't agreed to it yet but i'm thinking about it. Let me know what you guys and girls think.
lol.. tell them.. "Just give me the parts."

It won't work but see what they say.. more than likely they'll squeeze you on the deal and tell you that's the best you'll get, and they're either gonna get paid or tough luck..
Old 03-06-2009, 06:35 AM
Intermediate

lol.. tell them.. "Just give me the parts."

It won't work but see what they say.. more than likely they'll squeeze you on the deal and tell you that's the best you'll get, and they're either gonna get paid or tough luck..
They offered me a discount. Bottom line is that they aren't going to pay for this. Whether it's for labor of the parts, you are going to pay for this. Somehow they try and get us all happy when they offer a discount on something that should be covered under the "bumper-to-bumper" guarantee. I think everyone should let the cracks remain in your dash and tell everyone that gets in your car that Acura won't cover their defects.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Newbie.

Thumbs down Acura wins again!

So im stuck between a rock and a hard place! The dealer i bought the car from in miami said they would fix the car no prob, but im in utah on this garbage a** base. It would cost me about $650 or more in gas to drive to miami so it looks like Acura wins again. I might as well pay the $650 they are charging me to fix my car than drive all the way to miami for a free one. But on the bright side i get a 2009 loaner that im gonna rag the Sh*t out of for however long it takes to fix it!
Old 03-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Intermediate

what about on your days off sitting in front of the dealership and protesting. And talking to possible customers.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Newbie.

Originally Posted by theloweman
What about dash mats?? I remember seeing them in peoples cars in the late 80s all the way through the 90s. Would a dash mat look like crap in our TLs? My 05 dash is fading quickly and its starting to piss me off..

How many of you who have had the cracks show up have NAV??
I have Navi but i dont think it make a difference! And i think there should be no reason why a $30,000 car should be rocking a dash mat! I mean it shouldn't even be and option.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Intermediate

Cracked dash

I was checking old responses to this issue. did you ever fix your dash and how did it look? I went all the way through Acura client services and they wouldn't fix it for me.

A friend of mine went to the same dealer and bought a TL. He asked to have it written in the contract that they would fix the dash if it cracked. They said that they didn't need to do that since it was covered under the warranty. He explained my situation and they said it was covered. He bought the car and I contacted them about the problem. They told me the same thing - not covered. I'm still out of luck and he will run into the same issue if his dash cracks.

I can't believe how bad they are about this problem.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:13 AM

I didn't try the fix yet.. You can order it new from acuraoemparts or contact Prestige Acura (Azine vendor) but it'll set you back about $500+shipping. Since you're interested I'll do the fix in the following weeks and keep this thread revived.

edit: I would also search for dash removal threads. It shouldn't take you more than a day to do it yourself. Just the center speaker is the tricky part IIRC.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Cruisin'

I am considering buying an 08 TL w/navi - certified w/ 8000 miles. After reading this about cracked dashes, I am having second thoughts. I have an 07 MDX and have had no problems with customer service at all - although it's still under warranty.

I can't believe they won't cover the dash on your car - even after you know someone who bought another TL and asked about the dash cracking and told them not to worry!

I would be outraged. There has to be someone who is higher than the customer care people at Acura that can see the practical side of your situation.

I would go as high as I needed to - to get this done. Someone, after explaining the ridiculousness of your situation, should be able to see your side of this.

You bought a "certified" Acura product that is obviously still under warranty. It's amazing they won't cover this. You must take it to a higher authority. Acura cannot want this kind of publicity to be out there about their product. I say push on!

Keep us updated on your progress. (sorry for the rant, but I would be outraged).
Old 04-27-2009, 10:25 AM
Intermediate

cracked manufacturer

Originally Posted by Yankeezone25
I am considering buying an 08 TL w/navi - certified w/ 8000 miles. After reading this about cracked dashes, I am having second thoughts. I have an 07 MDX and have had no problems with customer service at all - although it's still under warranty.

I can't believe they won't cover the dash on your car - even after you know someone who bought another TL and asked about the dash cracking and told them not to worry!

I would be outraged. There has to be someone who is higher than the customer care people at Acura that can see the practical side of your situation.

I would go as high as I needed to - to get this done. Someone, after explaining the ridiculousness of your situation, should be able to see your side of this.

You bought a "certified" Acura product that is obviously still under warranty. It's amazing they won't cover this. You must take it to a higher authority. Acura cannot want this kind of publicity to be out there about their product. I say push on!

Keep us updated on your progress. (sorry for the rant, but I would be outraged).
I haven't researched enough to find any contacts above client services. Believe me, they don't make this easy. I just need to spend some time (which probably involves a lot of voice prompts, being put on hold, etc) finding someone who can help. I'll keep this post as a reminder to go after it. As it stands now, every who sees my car gets a good look at the massive cracks. Hopefully they got the manufacturer of the dash to fix the problem before your model was made.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Cruisin'

It still makes me very leery about owning a TL. I am in the semi-negotiation phase with this guy and I will be sure to bring up the cracked dash issue.

Did you say that the final print in the contract (certified) said something about not covering the dash or eluding to that?
Old 04-27-2009, 10:37 AM

It still makes me very leery about owning a TL. I am in the semi-negotiation phase with this guy and I will be sure to bring up the cracked dash issue.

Did you say that the final print in the contract (certified) said something about not covering the dash or eluding to that?
It's up to the dealership. If you're negotiating.. just make that part of the deal in writing and signed by the sales manager & service manager. They know this is an issue.. it's nothing new to them and they'll avoid it if they can.. but money talks and I'm sure they rather sell it to you and bet on it not happening rather than let you walk out.. just be firm and walk if it doesn't happen, while your at it.. have them agree to replace your aluminum trim that runs down your console every year if needed..
Old 04-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Cruisin'

The aluminum trim on both sides of the dash are a problem also? What else do I need to know about this car? Any TSB's anyone knows about (holy thread jumping) on 2008 TL's?
Old 04-27-2009, 10:53 AM

The aluminum trim on both sides of the dash are a problem also? What else do I need to know about this car? Any TSB's anyone knows about (holy thread jumping) on 2008 TL's?
It's not a problem but it's stamped aluminum and it's easy to scratch & ding. A new one is $60. It's just an eyesore once it's scratched / dinged. I've refinished a couple and they come out nice but it's a bit difficult to replicate the original look.

Trust me.. the TL is a great car. The only real problems that reoccur are the P/S o-ring seal and misc. rattles. All fixable if your handy or like taking trips to the dealership. As far as the dash, I suspect if you use a good protectant you wont have an issue.

Last edited by Majofo; 04-27-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:55 AM
Intermediate

The contract is worded (in fine print) to exclude trim. So you would think that they won't cover dings on your front end from rocks, etc. However, they consider the dashboard as trim.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:58 AM
10th Gear

I have the same situation. I thought i was the only one with this situation. I have a 04 TL A-Spec with 24k miles on it. I bought it nearly 4 months ago from a third party. Since its 04 i think its out of warranty, but i will take it to the dealership and fight for it. This is a really annoying situation for a Luxury car with only 24k miles on it . Lets see what the dealer have for me.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Intermediate

He's right. I love the car. Just pissed off about the service (or lack thereof). The console aluminum does get easily worn, but I would gladly overlook that for a good dash.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Intermediate

Let me know how it goes. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:05 AM
10th Gear

I'll let you know. I live in Puerto Rico, lets see whats the deal on the dealers here since I'm aware in this thread that the A dealers doesn't have standards dealing with costumers. You never know what you are going to get.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:06 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by luisro
I have the same situation. I thought i was the only one with this situation. I have a 04 TL A-Spec with 24k miles on it. I bought it nearly 4 months ago from a third party. Since its 04 i think its out of warranty, but i will take it to the dealership and fight for it. This is a really annoying situation for a Luxury car with only 24k miles on it . Lets see what the dealer have for me.
Originally Posted by luisro
I'll let you know. I live in Puerto Rico, lets see whats the deal on the dealers here since I'm aware in this thread that the A dealers doesn't have standards dealing with costumers. You never know what you are going to get.
10-4. Thanks.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by Christopher Means
I was checking old responses to this issue. did you ever fix your dash and how did it look? I went all the way through Acura client services and they wouldn't fix it for me.

A friend of mine went to the same dealer and bought a TL. He asked to have it written in the contract that they would fix the dash if it cracked. They said that they didn't need to do that since it was covered under the warranty. He explained my situation and they said it was covered. He bought the car and I contacted them about the problem. They told me the same thing - not covered. I'm still out of luck and he will run into the same issue if his dash cracks.

I can't believe how bad they are about this problem.
Originally Posted by Christopher Means
He's right. I love the car. Just pissed off about the service (or lack thereof). The console aluminum does get easily worn, but I would gladly overlook that for a good dash.
why would your friend buy a car from them if he knows that you were going through what you are going through right now? if i was your friend, i would not have bought the car until they proved to me they would honor the warranty by fixing your car too... otherwise my money would go somewhere else...

i am not sure if you have tried this as you have mentioned trying to get in contact with people through the phone... but have you tried writing to ACS and the dealership? words on paper have alot more meaning than some of the b/s that comes out of people's mouths... that way you have something documented... use this thread also... there is no reason they should be denying you coverage of this DEFECT!!! more than a few people have had the fading/cracking issues...

i would also consider writing to your local media station to get the dealership some bad publicity... there is no reason you should be getting the run around... and if they have agreed to cover the dash and you pay labor... if you are capable enough, tell them you will take the dash, and just swap it out yourself... then return the old dash to them... shot in the dark, but worth a try still...
Old 04-27-2009, 06:41 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2004 TL and it was replaced w/o problems. But it was under warranty (47K miles more or less). Luisro check your mail, I included some contact info from Acura Service in PR. Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cracked dashboard in '04 TL